LTH Home

Oda Mediterranean - Turkish and Georgian in Andersonville

Oda Mediterranean - Turkish and Georgian in Andersonville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Oda Mediterranean - Turkish and Georgian in Andersonville

Post #1 - October 5th, 2020, 10:48 am
    Post #1 - October 5th, 2020, 10:48 am Post #1 - October 5th, 2020, 10:48 am
    I didn't see a dedicated thread on Oda Mediterranean. I read recently on a couple of sites they had added Georgian food to their Turkish menu, including the famed adjaruli khachapuri. I am always a sucker for Georgian - it seemed like a cuisine that was poised to break out a few years ago, but maybe not yet - so we made the trip up Sunday for brunch. I left impressed and will be back.

We ordered 4 dishes:

My son wasn't 100% sure about the food, so he ordered the panburger, which is described as Russian pancakes with nutella, cream and berries. The pancakes were very thick and fluffy, with rich cream and nutella, doused in honey. Very solid, but toothachingly sweet. Still, he enjoyed them until he lost steam.

The atom was great, super-rich yogurt with chili oil as well as ground and whole dried chilies, but not anything particularly hot. Served with a large basket of pita, we added roast potatoes which were very well done if perhaps a bit sparse for a $3 supplement. I wanted to lick the plate on this one.

Octopus was one quite large tentacle that was really well cooked - tender with a bit of crisping of the fatty outside. It came with a series of oil-based sauces in a very artful display.

Then, of course, the khachapuri was great, with a particularly nice blend of cheeses plus the egg and a pat of butter. I do think it could have stayed in the oven a few more minutes to get a bit browner, but that is more of a preference and I think common with these: they take 30 minutes or so to cook and restaurants tend to panic and rush it out. Regardless of this preference, this was a great version of the dish and reason to go back.

The wine list includes a series of Georgian amphora wines available by the glass. I wasn't in the mood for orange wine, but there were two dry reds that we tried. The Doremi was rich and modern in style, but we preferred the Marani, which was very "natural" in style and perhaps not for everyone - high acidity and a little bit of mousy-ness, but not completely over the top to me. It reminded me a bit of a Cornelissen Sicilian.

Prices are not cheap, but it is clear this is not a "cheap ethnic find" but rather an ambitious restaurant with high quality ingredients and a charming setting. The oils, octopus, cheese, etc. were all premium and thus the meal was an OK value as long as expectations are aligned.

There is outside seating but we chose a spot inside but right in the window, which they were happy to open. The inside was relatively empty and signs of COVID protocols were evident, so we were satisfied. They also seemed to run a decent takeout business which I would be excited about if they were convenient.

We'll be back, I hope soon. The dinner menu expands into grilled meats and additional breads which are intriguing.

Oda Mediterranean
    5657 N Clark St
    odachicago.com
    773-878-8930
  • Post #2 - October 5th, 2020, 11:19 am
    Post #2 - October 5th, 2020, 11:19 am Post #2 - October 5th, 2020, 11:19 am
    These are the same people that used to have Turkish Cuisine a few blocks south on Clark. I was in Oda for the first time this weekend as well. They were a participant on the virtual Andersonville Wine Walk. Oda, Uvae and Bar Roma all offered a food and wine package as part of the "walk". For Oda, we got the meze trio (hummus, babaganoush, dolma, pita) plus a flight of three glasses of amber wines. That was a perfect way to try that style of wine and get a taste of their food. The babaganoush was our favorite of the trio. Their menu did look interesting so I see take-out in our future.
    -Mary
  • Post #3 - October 5th, 2020, 11:27 am
    Post #3 - October 5th, 2020, 11:27 am Post #3 - October 5th, 2020, 11:27 am
    I'm fairly certain that Oda is a descendant of Turkish Cuisine that was once located at 2546 W. Peterson.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - October 5th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Post #4 - October 5th, 2020, 11:48 am Post #4 - October 5th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Dave148 wrote:I'm fairly certain that Oda is a descendant of Turkish Cuisine that was once located at 2546 W. Peterson.

I'm not sure if they were on Peterson. They (Turkish Cuisine) definitely were further south on Clark in Andersonville.
    -Mary
  • Post #5 - October 5th, 2020, 12:17 pm
    Post #5 - October 5th, 2020, 12:17 pm Post #5 - October 5th, 2020, 12:17 pm
    There were at least two "Turkish Cuisine" titled restaurants.

5605 N Clark
    https://m.chicagoreader.com/chicago/turkish-cuisine/Location?oid=1023411
    2546 W Peterson
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d427472-Reviews-Turkish_Cuisine_and_Bakery-Chicago_Illinois.html
  • Post #6 - October 5th, 2020, 5:27 pm
    Post #6 - October 5th, 2020, 5:27 pm Post #6 - October 5th, 2020, 5:27 pm
    Wasn’t it the same restaurant, just relocated to Peterson? As I dimly recall, the husband is Turkish and the wife is Georgian.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more