LTH Home

Big Kids - carry-out sandwiches in Logan Square

Big Kids - carry-out sandwiches in Logan Square
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Big Kids - carry-out sandwiches in Logan Square

Post #1 - October 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm
    Post #1 - October 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm Post #1 - October 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm
    This is a recently opened collaboration from Ryan Pfeiffer, formerly the executive chef at recently-shuttered Blackbird and Mason Hereford, owner of Turkey & The Wolf in New Orleans. It's located in the former Young American space.

Menu is limited but looks interesting. In addition to sandwiches, they also have a pasta salad, fries and a few beverages. Hours are also limited. They're open for carry-out only, Thursday-Sunday. Last week was their debut and they ended up selling out after just a few days. It appears that ordering is exclusively via Tock, which charges an 18% service fee but maybe there are other ways. Google lists no phone number but maybe there's a social media conduit for ordering.

=R=

Big Kids links to website
    2545 N Kedzie
    Chicago, IL 60647
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - October 13th, 2020, 10:01 pm
    Post #2 - October 13th, 2020, 10:01 pm Post #2 - October 13th, 2020, 10:01 pm
    Worth noting that this appears to be the same ownership team -- Wade McElroy and Jeff Donahue -- that was behind Young American, so it's more of reconcepting than a full-on new opening. That said, my understanding is that Misters Pfeiffer and Hereford have been brought in as equity partners. In the continued fog of coronatime, it's becoming harder to keep track of these things.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #3 - October 15th, 2020, 7:10 pm
    Post #3 - October 15th, 2020, 7:10 pm Post #3 - October 15th, 2020, 7:10 pm
    And now for something completely different . . . pics of restaurant food! :D

I knew I'd be in the neighborhood today, so I placed an advance order for mid-day pickup. It was kind of eerie to find Logan Boulevard completely empty between Kedzie and Milwaukee -- not a single car parked on the entire block -- but the consolation prize was that it was exceedingly easy to pull up right in front to grab our order.

The setup is simple. The front door was wedged ajar by a small table with a large pump-bottle of hand sanitizer atop it. We were greeted by a host wearing a mask who, after she asked our name, offered that because it was chilly out, we could wait in the car while she put the order together. ~45 seconds later, she was placing the bags in the hatch and off we went. It was a brief trip and the food held up extremely well. Once home, we unpacked the carefully packaged items and divvied it all up . . .

Mess-O-Food from Big Kids
    Veg Crunch Wrap, Collard Melt, Amy-N-Nettie, Good Pasta Salad, Fried Bologna, Sketti Pocket and Kids Fry.

Here are some individual shots, with descriptions taken directly from their menu . . .

Veg Crunch Wrap
    "Vietnamese pickles, cilantro, jalapeño, duke's mayo, tostada, provolone"

Fried Bologna
    "Good bologna, good mustard, dukes mayo, shreddy letty, american cheese"

Amy-N-Nettie
    "Beef Milanesa, burnt tomato, pepper rings, provolone"

Collard Melt
    "Braised collard greens, PIQ cherry pepper Russian dressing, swiss, seeded rye"

Sketti Pocket
    "Fried spaghetti, mozz, parmesan, served w/ pocket sauce"

This is pretty much the entire menu and across the board, the food was distinctive, creative, carefully prepared and substantial. There were a few items that struck some fairly sweet notes, which doesn't always work for me. Don't get me wrong. These creations were still well-wrought and very much in overall balance. But for me personally, when the sweet is there, regardless of how it's balanced out by other components, it can still sometimes be too much.

Am I complaining that a crunch wrap containing Vietnamese pickles had some sweet notes? No. I'm saying that while I thought it was tasty and well put together, it's something that I personally would probably not order next time . . . even though there were a lot of other aspects about it I liked. My favorite was probably the Fried Bologna, with the Collard Melt a close second. The bologna sandwich also had some sweet notes but looking at the ingredients, I don't know what their origin might have been, especially since Duke's mayo contains no sugar and is notoriously not sweet. There were also chips on the sandwich (not mentioned on the menu), which suggests that some of the offerings are still works in progress.

In any case, there's a lot to like about this place and I look forward to seeing how it progresses. I've felt for a long time that Logan Square should have a flagship sandwich shop and I really hope Big Kids will be it.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events