LTH Home

Virtual Restaurants

Virtual Restaurants
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Virtual Restaurants

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm
    I thought I would start a topic on some of the virtual restaurants we’ve tried since the pandemic started. Word seems to be getting around via Instagram about a lot of these places. We feel privileged that we’re able to order this food and help out some area chefs during this crazy time. From what we can tell, most of these sell out every time so we're glad they’re getting so much support.
    Here are the ones we’ve tried:

Tasting India: A different menu every week. We’ve tried a bunch of different ones and they’ve all been fun and delicious. Delivered to your door or pick up in Andersonville or Humboldt Park on Saturdays. Each menu is a different region of India. I have eaten a lot of Indian food but some of these flavors are a revelation. There’s usually a thali for 2 (vegetarian) and an add-on of a meat dish. We find that it’s more food than we can eat for about $50 (without tip/tax). She also has other add-ons each week like roti, snacks, desserts and drinks. Once the menu goes live on Saturday at 6:00 pm (for the following weekend) you can fill out a google form and then she texts you with the total (usually the next day) and requests payment via Venmo.

Kedai Tapao: Malaysian food every other Sunday (delivery or pickup). Since we don’t have many Malaysian restaurants in Chicago, I really appreciate this one. Malaysian may be my favorite food so I’m kind of biased here. The bi-weekly menu is usually one savory dish and one sweet (different each time) so now choices to make other than you want it or you don't. The quality is superb and the flavors spot on. Menus go live every other Tuesday with a link to the ordering site. Payment via Square.

3 Little Pigs: A guy making awesome Chinese BBQ. Pick up in Chinatown. Ordering is a little tricky (he sells out weeks in advance) but the quality is amazing. Message him on Instagram. We ordered ribs, BBQ Pork Fried Rice and extra pork (which we made in to bao). So much food – we ate for days. And he decorated the bag for my husband’s birthday, which was so sweet!

D’s Roti: Once a month option for Trinidadian Roti. You have a day or two to order once she announces the sale date and menu on Instagram. We’ve desperately missed roti since Café Trinidad closed so were happy to see this option. While it wasn't quite as flavorful as Cafe Trinidad (and there was no homemade hot sauce which we really missed) it scratched an itch. Pick up in Dolton - they have gotten very popular so they need to figure out some of the ordering/pickup kinks. Very small operation.

Five Squared Pizza: Detroit style pizza. Sign up on IG for the weekly menu email and then order a box of 4 slices (any 4 you choose) through IG messages, pay via venmo and pick up on Friday evenings near Garfield Park. Designed to warm up at home. We really loved Longacre (RIP) so that's our baseline for Detroit Pizza - sadly this didn't reach that level (which is impossible if you're reheating the pizza at home) but they do have some creative topping options.

Anybody else tried any others? Pink Salt is on my list to try some time soon.
  • Post #2 - November 2nd, 2020, 6:22 pm
    Post #2 - November 2nd, 2020, 6:22 pm Post #2 - November 2nd, 2020, 6:22 pm
    On my way home from picking up lunch at Curry Theory (850 W Superior, delivery also available) today, I wondered if there was a dedicated thread on virtual restaurants, so thank you for starting this! All four of us would recommend this meal.

We have also enjoyed Moonbowls (4131 N Rockwell), kind of a Chipotle-like (or Aloha Poke-like?) take on bi bim bop and other Korean items, but with very fresh ingredients and great seasoning. It has been somewhat difficult for us to find low-carb but filling carryout other than higher end spots (e.g., steakhouses, seafood restaurants, French bistros), so we really appreciated that cauliflower rice was a base option. We especially liked their Impossible beef bowl, although neither of us is vegan/vegetarian
  • Post #3 - November 3rd, 2020, 10:38 am
    Post #3 - November 3rd, 2020, 10:38 am Post #3 - November 3rd, 2020, 10:38 am
    Impastable does lasagna, bread and sweets. Instagram is @nothing_is_impastable. Nathan Scheetz on Facebook. He posts in a Rogers Park group I follow on Facebook. Limited delivery area. Haven't tried yet, but lots of positive posts on FB.
    -Mary
  • Post #4 - January 5th, 2021, 1:18 pm
    Post #4 - January 5th, 2021, 1:18 pm Post #4 - January 5th, 2021, 1:18 pm
    Eater published a helpful list of 20 virtual restaurants.

I can vouch (whatever that's worth) for Kedai Tapao, Professor Pizza, Tasting India, and Nine Bar Market.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more