LTH Home

One Off Hospitality Subscription Supper Club

One Off Hospitality Subscription Supper Club
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • One Off Hospitality Subscription Supper Club

Post #1 - November 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm
    Post #1 - November 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm Post #1 - November 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm
    This seems to be something new. You subscribe to a package that gives you 4 dinners for 2 or 4 on Fridays (skipping Thanksgiving week). You can pick them up at various locations. Since we live in the Northern burbs, the Northbrook location worked for us (some are sold out). The four meals provide a dinner from Avec, Big Star, Publican and then a Paul Kahan Market Dinner.
    More info: https://www.oneoffathome.com/northbrook-supper-series

It's a commitment, no doubt, but the menus were too enticing, and the pickup location too convenient, for me to not sign up.
  • Post #2 - November 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm
    Post #2 - November 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm Post #2 - November 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm
    Wow, sounds great, I'm in.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - November 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm
    Post #3 - November 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm Post #3 - November 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm
    Week 1: Avec
    Menu and cooking/reheating (bacon wrapped dates were raw)

What's in the box:

Plated salad, bread, and tagine with couscous and sesame yogurt

Bacon-wrapped, chorizo-stuffed dates in piquillo pepper sauce (in a hand-forged copper pan we picked up in Athens)

Verdict: great meal, plenty of food for two. I'd have liked a little more salad, but on the other hand, the piece of lamb in the tagine was massive, perfectly tender. The dessert was described as an oat pie, it was more of a whoopie pie made from two big oatmeal cookies. Not a disappointment, just not described accurately.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - November 14th, 2020, 12:00 am
    Post #4 - November 14th, 2020, 12:00 am Post #4 - November 14th, 2020, 12:00 am
    Thanks for the pics, Joel. We subscribed to the 4-week plan (now that it's started, they're also offering 3-week plans) and also had this on Friday night. As you said, a fine meal. It was one of only a few instances during the pandemic when I didn't cook dinner two nights in a row. And after the really busy week I had, it was extremely well timed.

Also, I have to say that after the brutally executed meal pick-up we got from another restaurant earlier in the week, it was a pleasure to pull up during our designated 15-minute window and have our order placed in the car and checked almost instantly. We were driving back home with dinner no more than 2 minutes after we arrived. Total professionals.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #5 - November 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm
    Post #5 - November 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm Post #5 - November 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:... it was a pleasure to pull up during our designated 15-minute window and have our order placed in the car and checked almost instantly. We were driving back home with dinner no more than 2 minutes after we arrived. Total professionals.

=R=

The only thing that would have helped would be a note "hey, we'll be at the east end of the construction site". Coming from the west, we pulled in at the other end and they weren't visible, we wandered around for a bit.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - November 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    Post #6 - November 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm Post #6 - November 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:... it was a pleasure to pull up during our designated 15-minute window and have our order placed in the car and checked almost instantly. We were driving back home with dinner no more than 2 minutes after we arrived. Total professionals.

The only thing that would have helped would be a note "hey, we'll be at the east end of the construction site". Coming from the west, we pulled in at the other end and they weren't visible, we wandered around for a bit.

Yeah, it's just a trailer in a parking lot but when we got there (from the east), the Big Star van was parked there, so we figured that must be the right place.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #7 - November 16th, 2020, 10:48 am
    Post #7 - November 16th, 2020, 10:48 am Post #7 - November 16th, 2020, 10:48 am
    We signed up for the three week session since we did the avec / All Clad dinner on November 12.
    -Mary
  • Post #8 - November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm
    Post #8 - November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm Post #8 - November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm
    I just signed up for the 3 week version at Northbrook. An email from One Off got my attention since they are now offering a slightly different version for pick up in Wilmette, plus it comes with a "free" $25 gift card to Backyard BBQ (site of the pick up). But the meal kit is conveniently $25 more than the kit for pick up in Northbrook...coincidence?

Regardless, I liked the sound of the Northbrook package a bit more anyway so pulled the trigger on it (today is the last day to order for the Northbrook pick up, by the way) and am looking forward to Friday!
  • Post #9 - November 16th, 2020, 2:48 pm
    Post #9 - November 16th, 2020, 2:48 pm Post #9 - November 16th, 2020, 2:48 pm
    DClose wrote:pick up in Wilmette, plus it comes with a "free" $25 gift card to Backyard BBQ (site of the pick up).

I adore Backyard BBQ in Wilmette, its the best BBQ grill, smoker, accessory, everything you need in the general area and beyond.

That said, a $25 gift card for there is simply an invitation to spend $500 or more. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - November 16th, 2020, 4:54 pm
    Post #10 - November 16th, 2020, 4:54 pm Post #10 - November 16th, 2020, 4:54 pm
    Re oatmeal cream pie: sounds like they were channeling the snack pie, made famous by Little Debbie and others. E.g. as seen here.
  • Post #11 - November 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
    Post #11 - November 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm Post #11 - November 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
    Bok Choy Jr wrote:Re oatmeal cream pie: sounds like they were channeling the snack pie, made famous by Little Debbie and others. E.g. as seen here.

Yes, similar architecture. Very well made. I detected quite a bit of orange zest flavor in the cream filling, which didn't really work for me. My family loved them, though.

=R=

• Post #12 - November 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm
    Post #12 - November 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm Post #12 - November 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm
    Week 2 is Big Star Tacos
    Very good, but not as impressed as the Avec meal, mainly considering the cost. I could have gotten similar from Monica's for under $30 (well, they don't make horchata rice krispie treats), but I won't compare it to the $5 Street Taco kit at Costco.

The queso fundido, pastor and pollo mole Veracruzano were all very good, but the salsas were a little dull - more chile, more garlic, or more lime or vinegar would have helped. The tortillas were a little gummy, I've had better.

But the horchata RTKs were wonderful. Not too sweet, great texture, good creamy cinnamon flavor.

Menu / Reheating Instructions

Chips, Salsas, Condiments and RKTs - Middle row is onions, cilantro, queso fresco, grilled pineapple

The Warm Stuff - Clockwise from top Queso Fundido, Tortillas, Al Pastor, Pollo de Mole Veracruzano
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more