LTH Home

Fry the Coop

Fry the Coop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fry the Coop

Post #1 - November 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm
    Post #1 - November 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm Post #1 - November 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm
    I carried out from the new Fry the Coop in Prospect Heights tonight. They're on soft open tonight until 8, then closed until December 1.

The Nashville Hot sandwich was pretty good. Cole slaw, pickles, Hot sauce. They mean it with hot. Hot is only level 4 of 6 (below Crazy and Insanity) and was plenty hot for this chile head. The only thing Popeyes has on this is more crispy coating (and price: sandwiches here are $8.99)

Less impressive was the Spicy Butter version. The only condiment is a small slather of butter.

Fries were excellent, Mac and Cheese pretty good, cavatappi in a spicy cheese sauce, maybe a little soupy.

Fry the Coop
    580 N Milwaukee Ave, Prospect Heights, IL 60070
    (224) 241-4252
    https://www.frythecoop.com/
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - November 26th, 2020, 10:50 am
    Post #2 - November 26th, 2020, 10:50 am Post #2 - November 26th, 2020, 10:50 am
    I've been to the Oak Lawn location many times. They are definitely legit. I've tried the Crazy hot (which used to be their hottest, until they stepped it up with Insanity) and, while delicious, I could only finish 3/4 of the sandwich before throwing in the towel. I've been to Prince's in Nashville and had their extra hot, and this was hotter than that (and Prince's is legitimately spicy, as well -- the spiciest indigenous food I've gotten in the US, minus those capsciacin extract-laced hot wings or things of that nature), at least to my memory. I can't even imagine what the insanity could be like.

That said, the hot is the perfect level of heat for me. I finish it, but with a sweat. The Popeye's chicken is a few levels down in heat, and, as you note, the coating is different. I find it crispy, but not in the flaky way Popeye's is -- Fry the Coop is more of a solid kind of crispiness, if that makes any sense. The way they prepare the chicken is the chicken is dusted in seasoning, it gets dipped into buttermilk, then flour, then goes into the frier.

It's my favorite chicken sandwich in the Chicagoland area. I've only been to the original location in Oak Lawn, though.
  • Post #3 - March 10th, 2021, 7:19 am
    Post #3 - March 10th, 2021, 7:19 am Post #3 - March 10th, 2021, 7:19 am
    Fry the Coop, a restaurant that features Nashville Hot Chicken, opened its Tinley Park location Tuesday at 16703 S. Harlem Ave.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - March 31st, 2021, 10:52 am
    Post #4 - March 31st, 2021, 10:52 am Post #4 - March 31st, 2021, 10:52 am
    I finally got to try Fry The Coop (Prospect Heights) yesterday. I think it was the best fried chicken sandwich I ever had. First the fries - fresh cut, twice cooked in beef fat - they get a little soft in the bag but I don't mind. Really tasty. I ordered the Nashville Chicken Sandwich minus the slaw (it comes on it) with their Coop sauce and pickles and a heat level of Mild. I love the flavor of Nashville hot, but I don't like my mouth on fire so I decided to start low. The lowest heat level is Country. Mild gives you just a kiss of heat. The bun was buttered and toasted and I loved it. The Coop sauce was nice and tangy and I even liked the thick bread and butter pickles (I'm not a big pickle fan). The chicken was crisp, not greasy and had great flavor. Every bite was perfect - what a great sandwich. My brother ordered the same thing in Medium and he really liked it but wants to try Hot next time. I would consider Medium next time but that will likely be as far as I go.

I saw that Hot has habanero and ghost pepper in it. No thanks. Crazy has habanero, ghost pepper and Carolina reaper in it. And the Insanity has all three plus Trinidad Scorpion.

Right now only the drive-thru is open. Closed Mondays.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more