LTH Home

Fry the Coop

Fry the Coop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fry the Coop

Post #1 - November 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm
    Post #1 - November 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm Post #1 - November 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm
    I carried out from the new Fry the Coop in Prospect Heights tonight. They're on soft open tonight until 8, then closed until December 1.

The Nashville Hot sandwich was pretty good. Cole slaw, pickles, Hot sauce. They mean it with hot. Hot is only level 4 of 6 (below Crazy and Insanity) and was plenty hot for this chile head. The only thing Popeyes has on this is more crispy coating (and price: sandwiches here are $8.99)

Less impressive was the Spicy Butter version. The only condiment is a small slather of butter.

Fries were excellent, Mac and Cheese pretty good, cavatappi in a spicy cheese sauce, maybe a little soupy.

Fry the Coop
    580 N Milwaukee Ave, Prospect Heights, IL 60070
    (224) 241-4252
    https://www.frythecoop.com/
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - November 26th, 2020, 10:50 am
    Post #2 - November 26th, 2020, 10:50 am Post #2 - November 26th, 2020, 10:50 am
    I've been to the Oak Lawn location many times. They are definitely legit. I've tried the Crazy hot (which used to be their hottest, until they stepped it up with Insanity) and, while delicious, I could only finish 3/4 of the sandwich before throwing in the towel. I've been to Prince's in Nashville and had their extra hot, and this was hotter than that (and Prince's is legitimately spicy, as well -- the spiciest indigenous food I've gotten in the US, minus those capsciacin extract-laced hot wings or things of that nature), at least to my memory. I can't even imagine what the insanity could be like.

That said, the hot is the perfect level of heat for me. I finish it, but with a sweat. The Popeye's chicken is a few levels down in heat, and, as you note, the coating is different. I find it crispy, but not in the flaky way Popeye's is -- Fry the Coop is more of a solid kind of crispiness, if that makes any sense. The way they prepare the chicken is the chicken is dusted in seasoning, it gets dipped into buttermilk, then flour, then goes into the frier.

It's my favorite chicken sandwich in the Chicagoland area. I've only been to the original location in Oak Lawn, though.
  • Post #3 - March 10th, 2021, 7:19 am
    Post #3 - March 10th, 2021, 7:19 am Post #3 - March 10th, 2021, 7:19 am
    Fry the Coop, a restaurant that features Nashville Hot Chicken, opened its Tinley Park location Tuesday at 16703 S. Harlem Ave.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - March 31st, 2021, 10:52 am
    Post #4 - March 31st, 2021, 10:52 am Post #4 - March 31st, 2021, 10:52 am
    I finally got to try Fry The Coop (Prospect Heights) yesterday. I think it was the best fried chicken sandwich I ever had. First the fries - fresh cut, twice cooked in beef fat - they get a little soft in the bag but I don't mind. Really tasty. I ordered the Nashville Chicken Sandwich minus the slaw (it comes on it) with their Coop sauce and pickles and a heat level of Mild. I love the flavor of Nashville hot, but I don't like my mouth on fire so I decided to start low. The lowest heat level is Country. Mild gives you just a kiss of heat. The bun was buttered and toasted and I loved it. The Coop sauce was nice and tangy and I even liked the thick bread and butter pickles (I'm not a big pickle fan). The chicken was crisp, not greasy and had great flavor. Every bite was perfect - what a great sandwich. My brother ordered the same thing in Medium and he really liked it but wants to try Hot next time. I would consider Medium next time but that will likely be as far as I go.

I saw that Hot has habanero and ghost pepper in it. No thanks. Crazy has habanero, ghost pepper and Carolina reaper in it. And the Insanity has all three plus Trinidad Scorpion.

Right now only the drive-thru is open. Closed Mondays.
  • Post #5 - June 25th, 2022, 7:26 am
    Post #5 - June 25th, 2022, 7:26 am Post #5 - June 25th, 2022, 7:26 am
    New location open = 4300 N. Milwaukee Ave.
  • Post #6 - June 28th, 2022, 10:48 am
    Post #6 - June 28th, 2022, 10:48 am Post #6 - June 28th, 2022, 10:48 am
    I've been back to the Prospect Heights location a few more times and it's been fantastic every visit. I ate inside last time and the fries were hot and crisp (they get a little soft in the bag - but still taste great). A little pricey but well worth it based on quality and taste.
  • Post #7 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:41 am
    Post #7 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:41 am Post #7 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:41 am
    We hit Fry The Coop (Elmhurst) for the first time, and begrudgingly enjoyed it. The Mrs and I both had a 3 tender basket. $11.99 each. It's 3 tenders, choice of heat dusting, choice of sauce, a piece of white bread, and a few sweet pickle chips. If a side was included, I'd really love it, but if you know me, I'm a cheap old bastage. The sides are all $3.99. I opted for slaw, hoping for 4 bux it wasn't a sugary mess straight out of an Orville Kent carton, and it was actually pretty damn good. Only a tiny bit sweet, not the normal sugar bomb most fast food places slop out. It came in a 6 or 8 oz container, but it was only 1/3 full. If it was full, then I'd really be hyping this place. The chicken tenders were EXCELLENT. Very light batter, piping hot, fresh from the fryer. You could tell they have their system together with the chicken. We asked if the "Hot" heat level was for real, or if it was "fast food tame," and the extra friendly and knowledgeable counter person assured us it was "for real." She said everyone is allowed to grab a taste test of each of their heat levels before ordering. We assumed "Hot" would be mild, so she brought us a sample - just a few french fries dusted with the spice mixture, and it was, in fact, "FOR REAL." We both opted for medium, and it still had a nice kick, built up to a decent afterglow in the mouth, but nothing crazy. IMO, the "Hot" would have built up too much, but now that I know their slaw is decent, I can go with the hot, and temper it. Just wish the slaw was a either a little cheaper, or a bigger portion. I'm guessing the fries are excellent - proudly fried in beef tallow, but we're both on the low-carb train, hence the slaw, and not a different starchy side. As a "combo meal" they appear to offer any side and a drink for $5.49 extra, so a sammich, or 3 tenders + a side, and a drink would be...carry the one...$17.50. Quality food, for SURE, but I think they are using the Sturbuck's method of "if you make it expensive, then people just think it's worth it." I'm not hating on them for it. It's good food. Really good, too. Couple bucks overpriced imo, though. And I realize that nobody gives a crap about my opinion. It also won't stop me from returning for 3 tenders and a slaw for 16 dollars. It really was good, and unique. They have their act together, well run, and good food.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #8 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:14 am
    Post #8 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:14 am Post #8 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:14 am
    I agree that it can seem galling to charge that much for a fried chicken sandwich, but it's not actually an outlier among non-fast food sandwiches. Even burgers are that much now. I am still adjusting to the new price of food. For what it's worth, I think Fry the Coop is worth it, definitely the best fries/chicken sandwich combo currently in Chicago.
  • Post #9 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:40 am
    Post #9 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:40 am Post #9 - January 23rd, 2023, 10:40 am
    How big were the tenders? That's an important factor in judging the $4/each price. At other places I've had some that were essentially a boneless broiler breast half, and some that truly were just a single tenderloin.
  • Post #10 - January 23rd, 2023, 12:15 pm
    Post #10 - January 23rd, 2023, 12:15 pm Post #10 - January 23rd, 2023, 12:15 pm
    tjr wrote:How big were the tenders? That's an important factor in judging the $4/each price. At other places I've had some that were essentially a boneless broiler breast half, and some that truly were just a single tenderloin.

IIRC correctly the size was never questionable. I'd say probably somewhere in the middle of what you've described. The quality was no question at all tho. Piping hot, super juicy, and very well seasoned. I'd say one more tender, and if they filled the slaw container to the top, I would be all over this place for 4 tenders and a side of slaw for 16 dollars. Or, if they shaved 2 dollars off the slaw, and only charged 2 bux. 3 tendies and a side of slaw for 14 dollars would have me hyping it up, and returning ASAP. But, as I said, quality-wise, no question, this place has it goin on. The curmudgeon in me, however, knows that when Jewel tendies are piping hot, they can be pretty good at 8 bucks/lb, and...they're just tendies. Not to say at ALL that Fry The Coop doesn't have far superior options/flavors/sides. Back in MY day... Yes, I'm being an old guy here.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #11 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:33 pm
    Post #11 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:33 pm Post #11 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:33 pm
    seebee wrote:We assumed "Hot" would be mild.

Definitely not an assumption to be made here, or at least with my experiences at the Oak Lawn location. I finally got a chance to try Budlong's a couple months ago and their hottest level was a little underneath Fry the Coop's "hot." I was a bit disappointed, since I like my Nashville hots HOT. (It was a good sandwich, but I want it seriously hotter.) Fry the Coop do not play around with their heat levels.
  • Post #12 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:55 pm
    Post #12 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:55 pm Post #12 - January 23rd, 2023, 8:55 pm
    What is it with those little dabs of cole slaw that so many places serve, sometimes in little condiment cups? It's almost like they're saying, "We know it isn't very good so we won't give you much." I think 4 oz is a more reasonable serving.
  • Post #13 - January 23rd, 2023, 9:48 pm
    Post #13 - January 23rd, 2023, 9:48 pm Post #13 - January 23rd, 2023, 9:48 pm
    Hi,

Was there any comment made to the server about the cole slaw quantity? Perhaps point and inquire why is it so empty? They might laugh and get you more.

When Costco served a brisket sandwich with cole slaw, I really liked their cole slaw. I always asked them to up the quantity served. They did this without any upcharge or negative comment.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #14 - January 23rd, 2023, 9:48 pm
    Post #14 - January 23rd, 2023, 9:48 pm Post #14 - January 23rd, 2023, 9:48 pm
    tjr wrote:What is it with those little dabs of cole slaw that so many places serve, sometimes in little condiment cups? It's almost like they're saying, "We know it isn't very good so we won't give you much." I think 4 oz is a more reasonable serving.

My guess is that they were designed to be a condiment on the sandwich, but that purpose was forgotten.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #15 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:01 pm
    Post #15 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:01 pm Post #15 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:01 pm
    I've had a few sandwiches at the Milwaukee & Montrose location and they've all been outstanding. After sticking to Medium the first couple visits, I finally tried Hot last week. When ordering, the cashier asked whether I'd had the Hot before. I said I hadn't but was familiar with the Medium. She warned that Hot is a significant step hotter but I gave the word to proceed. She's right, it's a lot more spicy and approaches the top of my enjoyment threshold. A nice bun, the creamy, tangy Coop sauce, a bit of coleslaw and some of the tasty pickles compliment the expertly fried chicken fillet. The fries are really good, though I was pretty full from the sandwich (plus the burning mouth) and took most home. They reheat decently well in a dry skillet.

Yea, it's expensive but, I think, worth it. The sandwich is $11.99 and fries & pop make it just under $19 out the door. I was still thinking about it days later and it sort of has me looking for new reasons to be in the neighborhood. No frills: this location has a half dozen stools at a counter inside and some picnic benches outside for warmer weather.
  • Post #16 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:14 pm
    Post #16 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:14 pm Post #16 - January 23rd, 2023, 11:14 pm
    JoelF wrote:My guess is that they were designed to be a condiment on the sandwich, but that purpose was forgotten.
    I don't know. Those little cups are too often seen on fish fry plates, where they can be confused with the tartar sauce.
  • Post #17 - January 24th, 2023, 7:53 am
    Post #17 - January 24th, 2023, 7:53 am Post #17 - January 24th, 2023, 7:53 am
    BrendanR wrote:Yea, it's expensive but, I think, worth it. The sandwich is $11.99 and fries & pop make it just under $19 out the door.

I won't say it's not worth it. I will say that the price seems obscene to this old folk. Again, there's no doubt that the quality is there, and I enjoyed the food I had. The old fogey in me is getting real. I remember just a few weeks ago, a buddy and I were reminiscing about the 5 or 6 dollar burritos at places like Las Asadas and La Pasadita. We wound up at the point of saying we kinda feel sorry for our kids when it comes to these inflated prices, and smaller/worse product. They'll never understand the quality vs price proposition of a killer steak burrito for 5 or 6 dollars. I just went to La Pasadita's website. Carne Asada Burrito: $16.99 to start. Their Super Burrito with steak is now $20.30. I wonder if younger people today might think that's a bargain, like we did "back in the day." I'm guessing so. I know my dad has plenty of stories of when he was a kid with a shiny quarter in his pocket. He could spend a Saturday at the movies with popcorn, and a half pound of fudge, and come home with change.
  • Post #18 - January 24th, 2023, 9:20 am
    Post #18 - January 24th, 2023, 9:20 am Post #18 - January 24th, 2023, 9:20 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Was there any comment made to the server about the cole slaw quantity? Perhaps point and inquire why is it so empty? They might laugh and get you more.

When Costco served a brisket sandwich with cole slaw, I really liked their cole slaw. I always asked them to up the quantity served. They did this without any upcharge or negative comment.

Regards,
    Cathy2

No comment on the slaw, but good idea. If I go back (I'll be in the area frequently a few times per week for taking kids to sports stuff,) I'll check if the slaw is the same portion. Perhaps it was an oversight. I was kinda guessing they weigh them out beforehand for consistency, but maybe they just scoop as needed, I didn't watch. Perhaps a hint of, "and a side of slaw, your slaw is soooo good" could go a long way if they do scoop it out when it's ordered.
  • Post #19 - January 25th, 2023, 2:46 pm
    Post #19 - January 25th, 2023, 2:46 pm Post #19 - January 25th, 2023, 2:46 pm
    BrendanR wrote:I've had a few sandwiches at the Milwaukee & Montrose location and they've all been outstanding. After sticking to Medium the first couple visits, I finally tried Hot last week. When ordering, the cashier asked whether I'd had the Hot before. I said I hadn't but was familiar with the Medium. She warned that Hot is a significant step hotter but I gave the word to proceed. She's right, it's a lot more spicy and approaches the top of my enjoyment threshold. A nice bun, the creamy, tangy Coop sauce, a bit of coleslaw and some of the tasty pickles compliment the expertly fried chicken fillet. The fries are really good, though I was pretty full from the sandwich (plus the burning mouth) and took most home. They reheat decently well in a dry skillet.

Yea, it's expensive but, I think, worth it. The sandwich is $11.99 and fries & pop make it just under $19 out the door. I was still thinking about it days later and it sort of has me looking for new reasons to be in the neighborhood. No frills: this location has a half dozen stools at a counter inside and some picnic benches outside for warmer weather.

I mentioned upthread that their Hot has ghost pepper in it so she wasn't kidding. The price point is fair considering that Five Guys serving a pretty standard fast food burger can actually cost more. I still feel Fry The Coop is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had and their fries being fantastic on top of that is worth $19 for a lunch (although I never get a pop - I only drink water so I save a few bucks). I've only been to the Prospect Heights location which has ample booths and seating. It is a strange location in a former Hardee's spot on Milwaukee and River Rd but they seem to be doing ok there.
  • Post #20 - January 25th, 2023, 3:19 pm
    Post #20 - January 25th, 2023, 3:19 pm Post #20 - January 25th, 2023, 3:19 pm
    Ram4 wrote:The price point is fair considering that Five Guys serving a pretty standard fast food burger can actually cost more.

I am WAY out of the loop. Fantastic analogy to keep FTC's price in perspective. I just searched for the 5 Guys website, and after sifting through a few other odd non-food related sites :shock:, built an order of a burger, regular fries and a regular drink. Over 19 mf dollars!
  • Post #21 - January 25th, 2023, 5:00 pm
    Post #21 - January 25th, 2023, 5:00 pm Post #21 - January 25th, 2023, 5:00 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:The price point is fair considering that Five Guys serving a pretty standard fast food burger can actually cost more.

I am WAY out of the loop. Fantastic analogy to keep FTC's price in perspective. I just searched for the 5 Guys website, and after sifting through a few other odd non-food related sites :shock:, built an order of a burger, regular fries and a regular drink. Over 19 mf dollars!
    Yeah, things have changed a lot. I am staying out in LA right now. It feels like everything is $15-20 for lunch when it was half that not long ago. You might expect a couple slices of pizza and a drink to be around $7. It's closer to $13 now. To me that is hard to believe as $13 is still what it is for a medium pizza (which of course it usually isn't - you have to look). I feel out of the loop too. In-N-Out Burger is still a decent value around here. A double burger, fries and (unlimited) drink is $10. Five Guys double burger is $10 without fries or a drink.
  • Post #22 - October 26th, 2023, 7:59 am
    Post #22 - October 26th, 2023, 7:59 am Post #22 - October 26th, 2023, 7:59 am
    Fry The Coop Opens In Lincoln Park

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/10/26 ... coln-park/
  • Post #23 - October 26th, 2023, 8:23 am
    Post #23 - October 26th, 2023, 8:23 am Post #23 - October 26th, 2023, 8:23 am
    The chain, which specializes in hot chicken sandwiches, opened Oct. 12 at 2404 N. Lincoln Ave. Founder Joe Fontana said the reception from customers has already been very positive, and many people have come in who hadn’t previously tried the restaurant’s hot chicken.

I ate there on September 26th, they were very much open already.
  • Post #24 - October 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm
    Post #24 - October 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm Post #24 - October 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm
    Really like the Wheeling location. I try to hit it regularly.
  • Post #25 - October 26th, 2023, 5:33 pm
    Post #25 - October 26th, 2023, 5:33 pm Post #25 - October 26th, 2023, 5:33 pm
    Chitown B wrote:Really like the Wheeling location. I try to hit it regularly.

Same here.

Great Nashville hot sandwich
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more