LTH Home

Fried Chicken Sandwich Roundup

Fried Chicken Sandwich Roundup
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fried Chicken Sandwich Roundup

Post #1 - November 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm
    Post #1 - November 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm Post #1 - November 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm
    Seemed silly to start separate threads for places that specialize on one item when previous threads devoted to the item (rather than the place) have gotten a lot more action. So, without further ado, some run-on sentence reviews of our inevitable slide toward Popeyes winning Demolition Man's Fast Food Wars:

Cluck It: Yet another ghost kitchen start-up, this one in the South Loop. Hyped by Dolinsky. $16.50 with tax, so roughly 3x or 4x the cost of a sandwich at Popeyes'. Excellent fry on an extremely large (8oz) piece of chicken--almost tempura like. Destroyed by a mudslide of superfluous wet ingredients: coleslaw, American cheese, mayo-based sauce. Packed as if the Tiffany's of fried chicken--should have proposed to my fiancé this way.

Chi Tea: Close enough to Oakbrook Mall to warrant tagging along with someone who wants to go shopping. Hyped by Nick Kindelsperger @ ChiTrib. $9, so roughly double Popeyes' cost. Halal. Profiles of the owners have discussed their desire to hone and perfect an FCS, and it shows: this is a balanced, thoughtful, and very tasty sandwich. Really nice heat on the marinade that simmers and lingers rather than salt punches you in the face; does not rely on Popeye's cheap trick of using a sweet brioche bun, so the flavor is more nuanced. What Wazwan wanted to be (but ended up more like Cluck It).

Siesta time.

Cluck It
    2537 S. Wabash Ave (South Loop Food Company)
    Chicago, IL 60616
    https://www.cluckitchicago.com/

Chi Tea
    413 E Roosevelt Rd,
    Lombard, IL 60148
    https://www.facebook.com/ChiTeaLombard/
  • Post #2 - November 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm
    Post #2 - November 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm Post #2 - November 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm
    Here's some topical research from another internet stranger:
    I've tried 37 fried chicken sandwiches in Chicago. Here's my top 10.
  • Post #3 - December 4th, 2020, 1:33 pm
    Post #3 - December 4th, 2020, 1:33 pm Post #3 - December 4th, 2020, 1:33 pm
    BrendanR wrote:Here's some topical research from another internet stranger:

Tried fry the coop based on this person's rankings and reasoning. The medium Nashville spice was pretty damn spicy. A pretty darn good version but any fried chicken sandwich that uses white meat is gonna have a limited ceiling.... :)
  • Post #4 - December 4th, 2020, 2:23 pm
    Post #4 - December 4th, 2020, 2:23 pm Post #4 - December 4th, 2020, 2:23 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    BrendanR wrote:Here's some topical research from another internet stranger:

Tried fry the coop based on this person's rankings and reasoning. The medium Nashville spice was pretty damn spicy. A pretty darn good version but any fried chicken sandwich that uses white meat is gonna have a limited ceiling.... :)

Fry the Coop definitely does not hold back on the spice. I've been going to their Oak Lawn location since they opened a few years ago, and my first experience there was with their Crazy heat level, which was tongue torching and I could only finish 2/3 of it. I can't even imagine how taste-bud melting the Lil Insanity is. (They didn't used to have this level when it first opened up.) Their sandwiches are truly spicy, on the level of what you'd get in Nashville (I'd say maybe even a bit hotter.)

It would be nice if they had a thigh option, which is how I make chicken sandwiches at home, but I can understand the business perspective of going for the white meat that consumers still seem to prefer. They do, at least, make it pretty juicy regardless. But a bit more of that chickeny flavor that dark meat has would be welcomed by me.
  • Post #5 - December 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Post #5 - December 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm Post #5 - December 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    this week in a bucktown community facebook post with lots of people rightly against the homophobic chicken opening in the continuing corporate mall-ification of the neighborhood, it was noted that Jr's Red Hots stand on Armitage at Wilmot (2345 W) has an excellent chicken sandwich.

we walked over immediately, and it was excellent indeed! thigh not breast, super duper crispy and dark, with very fresh hand cut slaw of both purple and white cabbage that was importantly not sweet. pickles and a butter griddled bun.

try it if you're in the hood. covid safe since window ordering only.
  • Post #6 - December 4th, 2020, 7:58 pm
  • Post #7 - December 5th, 2020, 2:19 pm
    Post #7 - December 5th, 2020, 2:19 pm Post #7 - December 5th, 2020, 2:19 pm
    annak wrote:this week in a bucktown community facebook post with lots of people rightly against the homophobic chicken opening in the continuing corporate mall-ification of the neighborhood, it was noted that Jr's Red Hots stand on Armitage at Wilmot (2345 W) has an excellent chicken sandwich.

we walked over immediately, and it was excellent indeed! thigh not breast, super duper crispy and dark, with very fresh hand cut slaw of both purple and white cabbage that was importantly not sweet. pickles and a butter griddled bun.

try it if you're in the hood. covid safe since window ordering only.

Damn, guess I need to walk over and resist the urge to get a polish and a dog.
  • Post #8 - December 6th, 2020, 11:42 am
    Post #8 - December 6th, 2020, 11:42 am Post #8 - December 6th, 2020, 11:42 am
    Postby nsxtasy
    December 4th, 2020
    Nick Kindelsperger of the Tribune has done numerous FCS roundups recently:

Ken, I wonder if you have tried the top rated FCS at Shake Shack? I know you have good taste and would be interested in your review. I tried it at the Vernon Hills location based on Kindelsperger's taste test and have to agree with what he said compared to my previous favorite, Chick-fil-A:
    This was not even close. Shake Shack's offering had the crackliest crust, the juiciest meat and the best toppings.

Whenever I'm in the area of Routes 60 and 21, I stop in to take home a Chick'n Shake sandwich.
  • Post #9 - December 6th, 2020, 12:25 pm
    Post #9 - December 6th, 2020, 12:25 pm Post #9 - December 6th, 2020, 12:25 pm
    EddieK wrote:Ken, I wonder if you have tried the top rated FCS at Shake Shack?

No, but based on your recommendation as well as Kindelsperger's, I'd like to do so sooner rather than later!
  • Post #10 - December 6th, 2020, 2:40 pm
    Post #10 - December 6th, 2020, 2:40 pm Post #10 - December 6th, 2020, 2:40 pm
    While in Racine Wisconsin usually and not the chicago area except once in the LOOP.
    Sap Sap conducts Pop-Up carry outs in mostly Racine with a few in Burlington and Milwaukee locations.
    The Chicken Banh Mi is the best chicken sandwich we have ever had!
    At $11 , it can almost feed two people.
    You can order other Lao Specialties and they are all fantastic especially the outside Skirt Steak.
    At least every two weeks is two Banh Mi, Skirt steak and whatever.
    Sticky rice comes with the skirt and you can order bottles of the hot sauce they give you.
    They use Red Boat.
    The ordering system is through their FaceBook page, pay and select your pickup date and time.
    It’s one the very few places we order from these days.
    Alex is an American success story worth learning about.
    -Richard
    https://www.sapsapeats.com/
  • Post #11 - December 6th, 2020, 9:21 pm
    Post #11 - December 6th, 2020, 9:21 pm Post #11 - December 6th, 2020, 9:21 pm
    gnarchief wrote:
    annak wrote:this week in a bucktown community facebook post with lots of people rightly against the homophobic chicken opening in the continuing corporate mall-ification of the neighborhood, it was noted that Jr's Red Hots stand on Armitage at Wilmot (2345 W) has an excellent chicken sandwich.

Damn, guess I need to walk over and resist the urge to get a polish and a dog.

What? You can’t handle a polish, dog, and a chicken sandwich? Perhaps you just aren’t cut out for LTH.
  • Post #12 - December 7th, 2020, 12:20 am
    Post #12 - December 7th, 2020, 12:20 am Post #12 - December 7th, 2020, 12:20 am
    scottsol wrote:What? You can’t handle a polish, dog, and a chicken sandwich? Perhaps you just aren’t cut out for LTH.

Years ago I was friends with some grad students who played on the department softball team. They liked to go to Jim's, then on the corner of Maxwell & Halsted, for a postgame snack. Every now and then one of them would 'hit for the cycle,' as they referred to the feat. That was eating a Polish, a pork chop, a hot dog, and a burger – the entire menu back then. With all four orders of fries and all the sport peppers, of course.
  • Post #13 - December 31st, 2023, 11:17 pm
    Post #13 - December 31st, 2023, 11:17 pm Post #13 - December 31st, 2023, 11:17 pm
    Stupidly deciding to go out for a quick meal before a movie on NYE, finding our first two choices closed or closing (Mi Restaurante - hoping for quesabirria but all the chairs on tables, Five Guys was going to be our consolation with milkshake but just locking up at 6pm), we went to Blackfinn at Randhurst Village. I've found them at best to be uninspired: decent but no excitement.

They offer a fried chicken sandwich with either Buffalo or Nashville, ranch or bleu cheese dressing, lettuce tomato onion (no pickles or slaw).

Roll was nothing special, lettuce and tomato were a little sad, sauce was not especially Nashville but had a decent amount of heat. But the chicken itself was excellent: much larger than the roll, incredibly crisp heading, juicy.

It's not high on my list for going back, but it's not a bad choice if you end up there.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - January 1st, 2024, 11:10 am
    Post #14 - January 1st, 2024, 11:10 am Post #14 - January 1st, 2024, 11:10 am
    As a get older and more persnickety, I find that I’m drawn to simple, well executed fried chicken sandwiches above all others.

My reigning champion is Red Light Chicken, which set up in the old Devil Dawgs space by DePaul. The place gives off Hot Dougs vibes like no place has since Doug closed down. Super simple menu with the owner running the cash register and one cook helping behind him. Menu is a single chicken sandwich dressed in one of two sauces (honey butter or hot) or both (both in the correct answer, by the way), a couple basic toppings (pickles, mayo, cheese) if you want them, and then fries, nuggets, and some drinks. Just like Hot Doug’s, the owner is polite and service is perfunctory with a focus on getting you through the line and eating your sandwich as quickly as possible.

Fantastic sandwich, super consistent, and maybe one of the best dollar-to-deliciousness values in Lincoln Park.

Red Light Chicken
    2147 N Sheffield
    Chicago, IL 60614
  • Post #15 - March 7th, 2024, 5:09 pm
    Post #15 - March 7th, 2024, 5:09 pm Post #15 - March 7th, 2024, 5:09 pm
    New, pretty positive data point: Fry Chicken 'N Fries in Niles, next to EggHolic.

Although their chicken sandwich is listed as $10.99, there's a lunch special with fries for $9.99. Drinks are canned and bottled Pepsi products. The wall menu didn't say anything about spice levels, and the woman at the counter didn't say anything, but apparently you can specify mild, spicy, extra spicy.

The sandwich is two tenders on a bun, lettuce, tomato, pickles, sauce. All the veg were fresh and crisp. The chicken was juicy, very crispy but a lighter batter than, say Popeye's or Fry the Coop. I found it a little mild, but that appears to be an ordering problem. Adding spicy garlic sauce helped. Definitely a less sloppy sandwich than FTC (not necessarily an advantage unless you're wearing a tie).

I didn't love the fries; starch-coated, nothing special.

There's a lot of great lunch options in that neighborhood - between Pita Inn, Joong Boo king dumplings, Patel Bros bakery counter, and EggHolic, not sure how soon I'll be back, but it'll be on the list.

Fry Chicken 'N Fries
    8439 W Golf Rd, Niles, IL 60714
    https://tryfry.us/
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #16 - March 7th, 2024, 5:21 pm
    Post #16 - March 7th, 2024, 5:21 pm Post #16 - March 7th, 2024, 5:21 pm
    Just saw this thread for the first time and have something to contribute. The March Burger of the Month at American Wildburger in Des Plaines is "The Canadian". Not so much a "burger", but still sounds pretty good, it includes fried chicken on an egg bun, topped with bacon, crispy onion straws, and maple syrup.

Haven't tried it yet cuz it just hit my radar, but looking forward to giving it a shot.

Buddy

American Wildburger
    1534 E. Oakton St.
    Des Plaines IL, 60018
    (224) 938 9772
    https://www.americanwildburger.com/
  • Post #17 - March 11th, 2024, 12:40 pm
    Post #17 - March 11th, 2024, 12:40 pm Post #17 - March 11th, 2024, 12:40 pm
    One of my go to take out places nearby is JTs Sandwich Shop. Everything I've had from there is good but last week I got their fried chicken sandwich and it was excellent.

Per the menu description:
    "buttermilk brined thigh, dill pickle,maple chipotle mayo, buttery bun"

J.T.'s Genuine Sandwich Shop
    3970 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
  • Post #18 - March 13th, 2024, 5:27 pm
    Post #18 - March 13th, 2024, 5:27 pm Post #18 - March 13th, 2024, 5:27 pm
    My favorite chicken sandwich anywhere is at Fry The Coop. The Nashville Hot version (Mild or Medium heat, I stop there because the Hot is with ghost pepper (no thanks!) and it goes even higher after that). It is cooked in beef fat on a great potato bun and comes with Coop sauce, pickles and slaw, although I get the slaw on the side and usually give it away. Paired with fantastic fresh cut fries cooked in beef fat and lots of nice booths to sit it, this place is it. I'd like to try their spicy honey butter sandwich in the future.

They have 8 locations around Chicagoland.

Fry The Coop
    580 N Milwaukee
    Prospect Heights IL
    (847) 243-8262
    https://www.frythecoop.com/
  • Post #19 - March 13th, 2024, 6:07 pm
    Post #19 - March 13th, 2024, 6:07 pm Post #19 - March 13th, 2024, 6:07 pm
    DClose wrote:As a get older and more persnickety, I find that I’m drawn to simple, well executed fried chicken sandwiches above all others.

My reigning champion is Red Light Chicken, which set up in the old Devil Dawgs space by DePaul. The place gives off Hot Dougs vibes like no place has since Doug closed down. Super simple menu with the owner running the cash register and one cook helping behind him. Menu is a single chicken sandwich dressed in one of two sauces (honey butter or hot) or both (both in the correct answer, by the way), a couple basic toppings (pickles, mayo, cheese) if you want them, and then fries, nuggets, and some drinks. Just like Hot Doug’s, the owner is polite and service is perfunctory with a focus on getting you through the line and eating your sandwich as quickly as possible.

Fantastic sandwich, super consistent, and maybe one of the best dollar-to-deliciousness values in Lincoln Park.

Red Light Chicken
    2147 N Sheffield
    Chicago, IL 60614

I totally second this--love Red Light. It's not fancy, not the most Instagram-worthy but they make a damn fine sandwich. Fries are solid but nothing to write home about.
  • Post #20 - March 13th, 2024, 8:52 pm
    Post #20 - March 13th, 2024, 8:52 pm Post #20 - March 13th, 2024, 8:52 pm
    Ram4 wrote:My favorite chicken sandwich anywhere is at Fry The Coop. The Nashville Hot version (Mild or Medium heat, I stop there because the Hot is with ghost pepper (no thanks!) and it goes even higher after that).

Note that they've toned down the Hot and pumped up the Mild a bit, according to their newsletter.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #21 - March 24th, 2024, 9:27 pm
    Post #21 - March 24th, 2024, 9:27 pm Post #21 - March 24th, 2024, 9:27 pm
    Another day, another spicy fried chicken sammy:
    Station 34 in downtown Mt Prospect is mostly known for bar food, Detroit Pizza and burgers, but has a fried chicken sandwich. $13.99 with side (I had tots, she had sweet potato fries, no upcharge for either). Sandwich comes spicy or not, pickles, slaw and chipotle aoli.

Crispiness: 4 out of 5. Not as crunchy as Popeye's but pretty good.
    Spicy: 3 out of 5. Could use more heat
    Pickles: 5 out of 5. Good, crisp, plentiful
    Condiments: 2 out of 5. Too wet, the roll fell apart (but SueF's didn't)
    Size/Value: 5 out of 5. This is a BIG sandwich. Oversized chicken breast on a large burger-type bun.

Definitely one I'll have again, if I'm eating there. It's not my favorite fried chicken sandwich, but I'm a happy camper.

Station 34
    34 S Main St, Mt Prospect, IL 60056
    http://stationthirtyfour.com/
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #22 - April 4th, 2024, 8:07 am
    Post #22 - April 4th, 2024, 8:07 am Post #22 - April 4th, 2024, 8:07 am
    Ram4 wrote:My favorite chicken sandwich anywhere is at Fry The Coop. The Nashville Hot version (Mild or Medium heat, I stop there because the Hot is with ghost pepper (no thanks!) and it goes even higher after that). It is cooked in beef fat on a great potato bun and comes with Coop sauce, pickles and slaw, although I get the slaw on the side and usually give it away. Paired with fantastic fresh cut fries cooked in beef fat and lots of nice booths to sit it, this place is it. I'd like to try their spicy honey butter sandwich in the future.

They have 8 locations around Chicagoland.

I like Fry the Coop (I usually hit the one in Oak Lawn) but there's a big jump between their Medium, which barely makes my lips tingle, and their Hot, which I haven't had in a couple years but I remember being pretty brutal. I have to revisit that Hot, but given my impression of it from back then, I kind of wish there was an intermediate option.

The Nashville-style Medium I had there recently
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #23 - April 4th, 2024, 4:06 pm
    Post #23 - April 4th, 2024, 4:06 pm Post #23 - April 4th, 2024, 4:06 pm
    As I mentioned above, Fry the Coop adjusted their spice levels recently, bringing Hot down a tad and mild up.

That being said, if you order their tenders plate, adjust your seasoning down a notch: the tenders seem to have been really caked with the spice, and there's comparatively a lot less bread, mayo, slaw and pickles to chicken.
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more