LTH Home

Trivoli Tavern

Trivoli Tavern
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Trivoli Tavern

Post #1 - December 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm
    Post #1 - December 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm Post #1 - December 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm
    No Trivoli love on here?

Went for the second time in as many weeks last night. Terrific tent set-up in the Green St. Meats alley between Green and Peoria. Inside is beautiful though obviously not currently in use. This is a terrific addition to the West Loop.

The menu is greatest hits of Sodikoff, or perhaps more aptly-described as Bavette’s light, but maybe that’s a function of the times and it will graduate to a full Bavette’s menu (or chart more of its own course) in time. Strong (but short: 4:30-5:30) happy hour with $5 food items including a plate of oysters, smoked wings, fries, sliders, a few other things, and $5 drinks including an Old Overholt Old Fashioned, high balls and wine and beer options. Half-priced wine on Wednesdays. Other specials throughout the week. Value!

After a few happy hour appetizers, our table had shrimp cocktail, meatballs (remember those from early days at Bavette’s?), dry-aged strip steak, lamb chops, and smoked salmon Caesar. 2010 Jordan cab for $120 at half rack rate and more regular-priced cocktails. Expertly prepared food. Helpful, gracious service (particularly attentive as happy hour ends at 5:30 to make sure you’ve placed a last order). I love this place.

But, sadly they are taking a service break starting today for an undisclosed amount of time, though they will remain open for take out. Real bummer, but I guess a testament to how hard it is to be profitable operating in this environment, even with what seems like an ideal set-up with a fair amount of outdoor tables. I’ll be back as soon as they reopen and probably do some ordering out in the interim.

114 N Green St
    Chicago, IL 60607
    (312) 366-2646
    https://trivolitavern.com/
  • Post #2 - July 22nd, 2022, 3:39 pm
    Post #2 - July 22nd, 2022, 3:39 pm Post #2 - July 22nd, 2022, 3:39 pm
    My wife and I went to Trivoli Tavern a few months ago and was kind of surprised no one else has discussed it. As said above, it’s Sodikoff best hits and there ain’t anything wrong with that.

We had to get early bird reservations at 5:00 due to a 7:00 show at Thalia Hall but it was worth it just for a sampling of the Happy Hour menu. Pigs in a blanket are a guilty pleasure at our house (maybe not “guilty”, cause what’s not to like?), but the homemade puff pastry and grain mustard really made these great. Half a dozen oysters were nothing special, but sometimes they just need to be “right”, and they were. The star was the Nashville Hot Chicken slider. Amazingly crispy without having to fight the bird. Spice that builds, but doesn’t blow the top off, and a pillowy bun. My wife and I agreed the next chance we get we would come back at 4:30 just to enjoy the Happy Hour menu.

Split the steak frites along with some mac and cheese and the bacon. It was the wife’s birthday And those are all her favorites so vegetables would’ve just gotten in the way… Everything was delicious as usual and comparable to Bavettes.

Since it was her birthday we ordered Key Lime pie (fantastic) and the server brought us a free ice cream sundae. Next time through we are probably getting that mile high Butterfinger pie.

Atmosphere feels halfway between a dimly lit Italian steakhouse and a 1950’s supper club. Service and drinks were great as well.

Trivoli is not a place to get anything game-changing, but when everything is done right there’s not much need to rewrite the book.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more