LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2021

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2021
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - February 23rd, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #61 - February 23rd, 2021, 9:53 am Post #61 - February 23rd, 2021, 9:53 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:I was checking to see if Uni-Mart in Niles was open for business, as I was craving a bit of Filipino food. What came up was a Yelp post saying that people were reporting that it had closed. Did a search on LTH, but nothing has been posted about it for a few years. It's not near where I live, so I thought I'd see if anyone here can confirm this. Will be very sad if it is gone.

If you're looking for Filipino groceries, Assi Plaza, practically around the corner, will probably satisfy you. They won't have the hot food though. There are several Filipino restaurants just north of there, though:
    Tia Mia's on the NE corner of Golf and Milwaukee (by Walmart)
    Lisa and Rose Kitchen on Milwaukee just north of Greenwood
    Chicken Ati-Atihan and Cid's Ma Mon Luk at Golf Glen (about a half-mile west of Milwaukee on Golf, behind Omega)
    I haven't eaten at any of them, I can't make a recommendation. But there's certainly a concentration of Filipino in that area, exceeded only by Korean.

Sariling Atin on Golf Road is also a good option for Filipino food in Niles which has a similar setup as UNI-MART where they have a bunch of prepared food items and you choose 2 or 3 items with rice for an affordable price (Around $10).

Sariling Atin
    8702 W Golf Rd, Niles, IL 60714
  • Post #62 - February 23rd, 2021, 11:37 am
    Post #62 - February 23rd, 2021, 11:37 am Post #62 - February 23rd, 2021, 11:37 am
    Filipino food, groceries, bakeries, in-house kiosks, fish, dry goods, produce, Jollibee fried chicken, Seafood City is the H-Mart of Filipino foods.

Seafood City Supermarket
    5033 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60630
    www.seafoodcity.com/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #63 - February 23rd, 2021, 5:41 pm
    Post #63 - February 23rd, 2021, 5:41 pm Post #63 - February 23rd, 2021, 5:41 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Chicago-based convenience store startup Foxtrot Market plans to nearly double its number of stores by the end of the year, thanks to $42 million in new funding.
    https://apple.news/A1Snxp4YZTqmIa7SgL6bXgw

There's a zoning application out there, intro date is tomorrow, which proposes for Foxtrot Market to take over the former Cafe Cancale space at North/Milwaukee/Damen.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #64 - February 23rd, 2021, 6:13 pm
    Post #64 - February 23rd, 2021, 6:13 pm Post #64 - February 23rd, 2021, 6:13 pm
    excelsior wrote:The other day I was walking past Thai Room, 4022 N. Western, and saw there was another business there now. My bus was coming so I didn't stop to see what the new business was. Does anyone know?

Kraken Sushi & Beyond is open in the old Thai Room space. I stopped in to grab a carry out menu while picking up an order next door at Sticky Rice. Apparently, the woman who owned Thai Room decided to retire and sold the place to her niece.

The new focus is indeed on sushi, but they've maintained a nice selection of Thai dishes, although considerably pared down from the old menu. While the remodeled front room now features a sushi bar, they've managed to keep the warm, friendly atmosphere. Looks like they've kept the back room devoted to tables.

I'm looking forward to going back soon for some carry out. The BBQ Pork Bamee looks like a winner.

Buddy

Kraken Sushi & Beyond
    4022 N. Western Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 681-0292
    https://www.krakenchicago.com/
  • Post #65 - February 23rd, 2021, 6:21 pm
    Post #65 - February 23rd, 2021, 6:21 pm Post #65 - February 23rd, 2021, 6:21 pm
    polster wrote:
    JoelF wrote:If you're looking for Filipino groceries, Assi Plaza, practically around the corner, will probably satisfy you. They won't have the hot food though. There are several Filipino restaurants just north of there, though:
    Chicken Ati-Atihan and Cid's Ma Mon Luk at Golf Glen (about a half-mile west of Milwaukee on Golf, behind Omega)
    I haven't eaten at any of them, I can't make a recommendation. But there's certainly a concentration of Filipino in that area, exceeded only by Korean.

Sariling Atin on Golf Road is also a good option for Filipino food in Niles which has a similar setup as UNI-MART where they have a bunch of prepared food items and you choose 2 or 3 items with rice for an affordable price (Around $10).

Sariling Atin
    8702 W Golf Rd, Niles, IL 60714

Thanks. Reasonably priced, prepared food was the goal. Uni-Mart had a wonderful set-up with about a dozen prepared options, and you could get two cooked items, rice or noodles, and a drink for $7, plus a dining area. Will miss that. But thanks for info on other options. (That said, the recommending of other options suggests that this really is closed. Sad.)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #66 - February 23rd, 2021, 10:15 pm
    Post #66 - February 23rd, 2021, 10:15 pm Post #66 - February 23rd, 2021, 10:15 pm
    Hi,

I inquired with someone who made weekly visits to Unimart prior to shelter at home.

Instead they now go to Seafood City or order takeout from a restaurant.

I will bet Seafood City had a greater impact than Covid and began a lot earlier.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #67 - February 24th, 2021, 1:03 pm
    Post #67 - February 24th, 2021, 1:03 pm Post #67 - February 24th, 2021, 1:03 pm
    Max's Take Out, the Loop hot dog stand on E Adams St closed on February 19th after over 30 years in business.

Official announcement: https://www.facebook.com/MaxsTakeOut/po ... 6572703423

It is with great sadness that we announce that after nearly thirty years in business we will be shutting our doors on February 19th.
    Your support and passion has made Max's what it is and will always be. We started with being the Loop's best kept secret, but after receiving an outpouring of love, we realize we may have just been the Loop's best known secret.
    To our regulars, those who traveled to Chicago for vacation or business and shared a bite with us, to the students, our neighbors, City Hall staffers, nearby workers - thank you. Thank you for picking up a brown greasy paper bag and coming together with us.
    COVID has impacted many communities, small and large. We encourage you all to continue supporting your small business owners. It's what makes Chicago the great city that it is.
    If you want to stop by for a final bite, we'll be open until 7pm everyday until the 19th.
    - Max & team
  • Post #68 - February 26th, 2021, 1:00 am
    Post #68 - February 26th, 2021, 1:00 am Post #68 - February 26th, 2021, 1:00 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:I was checking to see if Uni-Mart in Niles was open for business, as I was craving a bit of Filipino food. What came up was a Yelp post saying that people were reporting that it had closed. Did a search on LTH, but nothing has been posted about it for a few years. It's not near where I live, so I thought I'd see if anyone here can confirm this. Will be very sad if it is gone.

If you're looking for Filipino groceries, Assi Plaza, practically around the corner, will probably satisfy you. They won't have the hot food though. There are several Filipino restaurants just north of there, though:

Oh, and did you know that the Uni-Mart location was the second home (after their original Chicago storefront) of Abt Electronics? From there they moved to a big facility on Waukegan that now has several tenants including 3T MRI, and then to their empire in Glenview.

Also, Pinoy Grill in Prospect Heights (on the edge of PH & Mt. Prospect) at Rand & Camp McDonald, and Kusina de Manila in Des Plaines at Algonquin & Elmhurst. I've only been to Pinoy Grill and it was really good, but I've heard good things about Kusina de Manila.

I remember going to that Abt location in the 80s when I was a little kid. My parents got a vacuum cleaner there.
  • Post #69 - February 26th, 2021, 10:08 pm
    Post #69 - February 26th, 2021, 10:08 pm Post #69 - February 26th, 2021, 10:08 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Kraken Sushi & Beyond is open in the old Thai Room space. I stopped in to grab a carry out menu while picking up an order next door at Sticky Rice. Apparently, the woman who owned Thai Room decided to retire and sold the place to her niece.

The new focus is indeed on sushi, but they've maintained a nice selection of Thai dishes, although considerably pared down from the old menu.

Great information - thanks, Buddy!

Thai Room also had a family relationship to the now-closed Thai Sookdee in Evanston. For my money, both places had the best tom kha gai (soup) in the Chicago area. So glad to see it's still on the menu; just hope the niece is using her aunt's recipe!
  • Post #70 - February 26th, 2021, 10:17 pm
    Post #70 - February 26th, 2021, 10:17 pm Post #70 - February 26th, 2021, 10:17 pm
    Gyros Planet & Taqueria is a taco restaurant that also has Central American specialties. It's located across the street from Evanston Township High School. They had been surviving during the pandemic by giving away food to those in need, but were planning to close after this weekend. There was an article in the Tribune yesterday, which mentioned a GoFundMe account that had been set up for them.

Column: After giving away 25,000 meals, Evanston’s Gyros Planet and Taqueria is set to close Saturday. ‘This restaurant was our dream.’ (Tribune, February 25)

The GoFundMe was a big success and now they are going to stay open, as indicated in the Tribune today.

Column: Evanston’s Gyros Planet and Taqueria will stay open after all. It raised more than its $30,000 goal in 24 hours. ‘People just showed us so much love and support.’ (Tribune, February 26)
  • Post #71 - February 27th, 2021, 10:40 am
    Post #71 - February 27th, 2021, 10:40 am Post #71 - February 27th, 2021, 10:40 am
    nsxtasy wrote:Gyros Planet & Taqueria is a taco restaurant that also has Central American specialties. It's located across the street from Evanston Township High School. They had been surviving during the pandemic by giving away food to those in need, but were planning to close after this weekend. There was an article in the Tribune yesterday, which mentioned a GoFundMe account that had been set up for them.

Column: After giving away 25,000 meals, Evanston’s Gyros Planet and Taqueria is set to close Saturday. ‘This restaurant was our dream.’ (Tribune, February 25)

The GoFundMe was a big success and now they are going to stay open, as indicated in the Tribune today.

Column: Evanston’s Gyros Planet and Taqueria will stay open after all. It raised more than its $30,000 goal in 24 hours. ‘People just showed us so much love and support.’ (Tribune, February 26)
    WGN News did a segment on this yesterday. https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/evan ... -pandemic/
  • Post #72 - February 28th, 2021, 1:58 pm
    Post #72 - February 28th, 2021, 1:58 pm Post #72 - February 28th, 2021, 1:58 pm
    I was in Chinatown yesterday and the Mala Spicy Spirit at the entrance of the Richland Center Mall is closed for renovation. Sign said it is going to re-open as Hunan House.

Does anyone know if Tony Hu of Lao Szechuan fame is the one involved in this? I know he sold the old Lao Hunan on Wentworth.

Also, the old Lao Yunnan space is now Veggie House. I didn't go there (although I wanted to), because I was with a friend who wanted to try Lao Szechuan. The Mongolian place on the corner of Cermak and Wentworth (Little Lamb it was, I think), is no more.
  • Post #73 - February 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm
    Post #73 - February 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm Post #73 - February 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm
    Indianbadger wrote:I was in Chinatown yesterday and the Mala Spicy Spirit at the entrance of the Richland Center Mall is closed for renovation. Sign said it is going to re-open as Hunan House.

Does anyone know if Tony Hu of Lao Szechuan fame is the one involved in this? I know he sold the old Lao Hunan on Wentworth.

Steve Dolinsky earlier this month aired a piece including Tony Hu's new Hunan restaurant.
    https://abc7chicago.com/10333913/

In it, the place is called Hunan Cuisine instead of Hunan House.

It soft opened in October.
    https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=561695#p561695
  • Post #74 - February 28th, 2021, 11:00 pm
    Post #74 - February 28th, 2021, 11:00 pm Post #74 - February 28th, 2021, 11:00 pm
    lodasi wrote: Max's Take Out, the Loop hot dog stand on E Adams St, closed on February 19th after over 30 years in business.
    This saddens me a little. Max's Take Out was one of the least expensive shacks in the Loop. Intriguingly, it was a venue subscribed to Spring Rewards, a Chicago organization which provided rebates to a number of venues if you used a connected credit card, and spent at least a certain amount of money. Spring Rewards bit the dust. I E-Mailed it after it announced its cessation stating it could have been successful if it had limited itself to food & beverage venues. That spreading itself over other shopping genrés was ultimately too far afield.
    At Max's, the threshold was $10.00. I typically visited there when heading to Union Station for an express train to a suburb like Downers Grove or Naperville.
    I did not always have my camera with me on these jaunts. But I did at least once. Here are a pair of pictures of what I had there one afternoon in November 2017.
    Image Image :)
    The italian beef was OK. Its hot pepper mix {no extra charge} was mostly carrots, red peppers, and green peppers {good}. This hot dog was an attempt at a “Maxwell Street” dog with grilled onions. I have not seen too many shacks offering this, but maybe I just have not ordered them. :wink:
    The french fries were institutional. Fried to the edge of limpness. They requested ketchup. Ketchup packets were provided, but I eschewed them due to the messiness factor. :P
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: http://74.115.231.54/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #75 - Yesterday, 10:31 am
    Post #75 - Yesterday, 10:31 am Post #75 - Yesterday, 10:31 am
    It soft opened in October.

When I was there on Sat.; it was completely gutted and being renovated. There were workers sitting around and said that it will open when they are finished redoing it, but could not give me a time.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more