LTH Home

Dear Margaret

Dear Margaret
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Dear Margaret

Post #1 - January 21st, 2021, 8:30 pm
    Post #1 - January 21st, 2021, 8:30 pm Post #1 - January 21st, 2021, 8:30 pm
    Took out a wonderful dinner for 4 from this brand new Lakeview spot and WOW! It’s been sooo long since I looked to a meal for anything other than comfort, that I almost forgot what it was like to be excited by something new and special. The food is French Canadian with Midwestern ingredients. The chef is Ryan Brosseau, who’s worked at Perennial Virant, Found, and Table, Donkey and Stick and was the opening Exec chef at Le Sud.

Every dish was perfectly prepared and packaged and we loved every bite. Can’t even remember saying that pre-pandemic.

We ordered:

Duck Liver Mousse
    apricot jam, 9-grain toast, smoked pickled onion

Charred Broccoli
    lemon emulsion, pine nuts, parsley, mint, chili flakes, lemon and coriander pickled radish

Braised Cauliflower
    wine and lemon braised cauliflower, roasted eggplant purée, arugula, pine nuts, candied pearl onions, parsley, dill, tarragon, cherry tomato confit, Grana Padano

Fried Smelts
    fried pickles, fried in beef tallow, tartar sauce, lemon

Braised Beef Shank for Two
    red wine, maitake mushrooms, arugula salad

Roasted Half Chicken
    Amish chicken, lemon and herb local rice, jus

Tourtière
    Canadian meat pie with a mushroom, potato, herb, and pork filling, lard crust, petite salad

Nanaimo Bar
    graham cracker, coconut, and walnut base, custard icing center, chocolate ganache top with whipped crème fraîche

Cookie Trio
    two each oatmeal dried cherry, peanut butter, chocolate chip

Butter Tart
    maple, dried blueberries, European butter, lard crust, quintessentially Canadian

Hope they get a following quickly—can’t imagine what it’s like to open a real restaurant with serious food in this environment. If you’re looking for something special, I highly recommend.

Dear Margaret
    2965 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60657
    (773) 360-8213
    Delivery/pickup: www.exploretock.com/dearmargaret
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on February 9th, 2021, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #2 - January 22nd, 2021, 7:19 am
    Post #2 - January 22nd, 2021, 7:19 am Post #2 - January 22nd, 2021, 7:19 am
    I've been excited to try Dear Margaret since reading about it. The braised cauliflower and putsins (chicken and dumplings) sound especially delicious and weather-appropriate. I'm so glad they were able to open and your positive review has me texting my boyfriend at 7:15am asking if we can go tonight.
  • Post #3 - January 22nd, 2021, 4:47 pm
    Post #3 - January 22nd, 2021, 4:47 pm Post #3 - January 22nd, 2021, 4:47 pm
    This must be the place that has a hanging sign that simply says DM. I wondered what that was! Glad to hear it's an exceptional new restaurant in the neighborhood.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #4 - January 22nd, 2021, 5:25 pm
    Post #4 - January 22nd, 2021, 5:25 pm Post #4 - January 22nd, 2021, 5:25 pm
    Sounds intriguing. I heard "French Canadian" and thought they would only have twelve versions of poutine, which I consider one of the worst travesties in the food world. Glad to hear they have food that actually sounds good.

Thanks for the report!
  • Post #5 - February 9th, 2021, 12:44 pm
    Post #5 - February 9th, 2021, 12:44 pm Post #5 - February 9th, 2021, 12:44 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Lakeview’s New French-Canadian Bistro Dear Margaret debuts thanks to a decorated chef and a public relations representative turned restaurant owner.
    Dear Margaret, 2965 N. Lincoln Ave.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2021/1/20/222 ... tos-images
    I'm excited for this one. The chef here really had things humming both at Table, Donkey, Stick and then later when Le Sud first opened.

$9 for a Nanaimo Bar is a bridge too far though - got me online to order a container of Bird's custard powder.
  • Post #6 - February 9th, 2021, 2:23 pm
    Post #6 - February 9th, 2021, 2:23 pm Post #6 - February 9th, 2021, 2:23 pm
    admich wrote:$9 for a Nanaimo Bar is a bridge too far though - got me online to order a container of Bird's custard powder.

Fairly insane. I'm the last person to complain about restaurant prices, but the trend of overpriced versions of childhood treats sold at upscale joints is off-putting. Yes, I've paid a ridiculous amount of money for Thomas Keller's upscale Ho-Ho and Laduree's factory-made macarons, and always feel like a sucker afterward.
  • Post #7 - February 9th, 2021, 3:56 pm
    Post #7 - February 9th, 2021, 3:56 pm Post #7 - February 9th, 2021, 3:56 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    admich wrote:$9 for a Nanaimo Bar is a bridge too far though - got me online to order a container of Bird's custard powder.

Fairly insane. I'm the last person to complain about restaurant prices, but the trend of overpriced versions of childhood treats sold at upscale joints is off-putting. Yes, I've paid a ridiculous amount of money for Thomas Keller's upscale Ho-Ho and Laduree's factory-made macarons, and always feel like a sucker afterward.

Not sure I’d get so hung up on the name—it was a proper dessert, a generous portion and completely delicious. I am unfamiliar with the original food so just got to enjoy something that I’d definitely order again.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - February 9th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #8 - February 9th, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #8 - February 9th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    We ordered from Dear Margaret and really enjoyed it! Highlights were the smoked carrot dish, the Tourtiere and the lamb. The desserts were solid but not my favorite. I generally enjoy savory things more than sweet so that may be more of a personal preference. They were definitely a 'childhood treat' type of dessert (my 6 year-old loved them). Also, the dessert portions were huge. I think there were 6 good-sized pieces (or maybe 4, I had a couple glasses of wine that night ) of the Nanaimo bars. We also got the cookies and there 6 large cookies.
  • Post #9 - February 11th, 2021, 3:40 pm
    Post #9 - February 11th, 2021, 3:40 pm Post #9 - February 11th, 2021, 3:40 pm
    Got Dear Margaret last night, thought it was delicious. We had the carrots, broccoli, smelt, pate, kale salad and putsins, the last of which was indeed perfect for the weather. Was it Joe Beef? Not quite, but it was a nice change of pace with some great ingredients, sympatico flavors and refreshingly simple preparation. Look forward to trying again as the seasons change!
  • Post #10 - February 12th, 2021, 5:57 pm
    Post #10 - February 12th, 2021, 5:57 pm Post #10 - February 12th, 2021, 5:57 pm
    Glad this thread got bumped (not that it's old to begin with) -- my Montreal born-and-raised husband and I dragged our feet on figuring out Valentine's Day plans and a lot of the great looking takeout places were sold out. We'll give Dear Margaret a try!
  • Post #11 - February 23rd, 2021, 10:10 pm
    Post #11 - February 23rd, 2021, 10:10 pm Post #11 - February 23rd, 2021, 10:10 pm
    Did takeout from here last weekend and enjoyed a near perfect meal. The fried smelts and soupy chicken and dumplings dish were my favorites of what we tried on the savory side. The pork pie and duck liver mousse were both nice too while I personally didn’t care much for the smoked carrots.

boudreaulicious wrote:Butter Tart
    maple, dried blueberries, European butter, lard crust, quintessentially Canadian

Then there were the butter tarts which we liked so much I stopped by for two more orders the next day (dropped one off with my parents). I love blueberries and everything else described up above can make for a divine dessert so yeah I loved these. Cute space too. I could feel a French Canadian - Quebec City type vibe pulling up on it in the middle of a snow storm.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more