LTH Home

Naperville Lunch

Naperville Lunch
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Naperville Lunch

Post #1 - June 9th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Post #1 - June 9th, 2021, 12:51 pm Post #1 - June 9th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    I've got to be out in the Naperville area for a late lunch this Saturday. Any suggestions? Recent information is hard to find - I thought I saw something around here recently but couldn't find it with a search. Is there anything in the HMart food court these days? How is MaPo, which seems to be right there? If I head east, is the Wesmont International Mall still around, and is there anything of note? If not Asian, is there any Indian recommended? Southern, especially dosas, would be a hit with the family.
  • Post #2 - June 9th, 2021, 1:03 pm
    Post #2 - June 9th, 2021, 1:03 pm Post #2 - June 9th, 2021, 1:03 pm
    My wife and I like Bangkok Village in downtown Naperville, nothing life changing, but a reasonable and tasty lunch. MaPo is fantastic, but not downtown Naperville. There is a Joy Yee in Naperville on Ogden, which is really good and family friendly.
  • Post #3 - June 9th, 2021, 3:01 pm
    Post #3 - June 9th, 2021, 3:01 pm Post #3 - June 9th, 2021, 3:01 pm
    Near H Mart, there is Mapo or MingHin. Nearby is "recently" opened Magic Kitchen in Lisle by Naper Blvd/Maple Ave which has been getting very good reviews.
  • Post #4 - June 9th, 2021, 6:42 pm
    Post #4 - June 9th, 2021, 6:42 pm Post #4 - June 9th, 2021, 6:42 pm
    For obvious reasons I haven't strayed too far away from the crib in the past 15 months, but I live on the other side of 88 and try my best to keep an eye on things.

The H-Mart food court has always been pretty dim and last I peeked in there it looked nearly vacant. Pre-pandemic I think there was a fried chicken spot, but not sure now.

I have heard there is a food court at the new-ish Chinese supermarket Park to Shop. It's on my to do list.

You can get it in the city, but the Minghin out here is a palatial space and a good time. It's around the corner from H-Mart. There's also a Happy Lamb Hot Pot over there. Mapo is not worth a stop if you have access to Chinatown.

I haven't been to the International Mall in Westmont in awhile. A lot of my favorites were gone before the pandemic. Last I checked Chinese Café was still there. Very good beef noodle soup and Taiwanese chicken. There's always Katy's...

There's a constantly evolving Indian scene in Naperville, especially the west side heading down the Ogden corridor and up and down 59. The two places I'd recommend for dosa are both no more. I might check out Honest for that. We really like JK Kabab for Pakistani. It's meat heavy – good kebabs, great chili chicken – but their curries, roti, and rices are satisfying too.

Otherwise, another unique place to consider is SanguCHE for Peruvian sandwiches. I kinda like their sides and sauces the best though – salchipapas, chaufa, and yuca.

Naperville has a lot more to offer than the butt of jokes!
  • Post #5 - June 10th, 2021, 7:07 am
    Post #5 - June 10th, 2021, 7:07 am Post #5 - June 10th, 2021, 7:07 am
    lodasi wrote:Near H Mart, there is Mapo or MingHin. Nearby is "recently" opened Magic Kitchen in Lisle by Naper Blvd/Maple Ave which has been getting very good reviews.

Magic Kitchen is more of a carry out place, they do have a couple tables.
  • Post #6 - June 10th, 2021, 7:23 am
    Post #6 - June 10th, 2021, 7:23 am Post #6 - June 10th, 2021, 7:23 am
    Woah, Magic Kitchen looks very cool! Does anyone have a report?
    I thought y'all were talking about the vegan place, Manna Kitchen in Lisle, which is also on my list.
  • Post #7 - June 10th, 2021, 8:29 am
    Post #7 - June 10th, 2021, 8:29 am Post #7 - June 10th, 2021, 8:29 am
    Jefe wrote:Woah, Magic Kitchen looks very cool! Does anyone have a report?
    I thought y'all were talking about the vegan place, Manna Kitchen in Lisle, which is also on my list.

I've gotten carry out from there, but stayed "in the safe zone", like Fried Rice, Hunan Chicken, Kung Pao...it was fine. Maybe you need to be more adventurous.
  • Post #8 - June 14th, 2021, 11:00 am
    Post #8 - June 14th, 2021, 11:00 am Post #8 - June 14th, 2021, 11:00 am
    Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Indian was going to sell better than other cuisines, so I was set to head to Honest when I spotted Godavari in the Patel's lot. I've liked the Schaumburg version before, so we gave it a shot. They were offering a buffet and initially indicated dosas were takeout only, but agreed to seat us and make some. Very good, with a nice sour flavor and excellent potatoes in the masala.

FWIW, both H-Mart and Patel's were hopping. I was a little annoyed that much of the produce at H-Mart was pre-packaged - I needed Thai chilies, but really didn't need half a pound. FWIW, the food court was quiet. Right now, there is a Korean snack shop and and a Chinese spot, with a "miso" spot, which I assume will be Japanese, coming soon.
  • Post #9 - January 24th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Post #9 - January 24th, 2022, 12:34 pm Post #9 - January 24th, 2022, 12:34 pm
    Jefe wrote:Otherwise, another unique place to consider is SanguCHE for Peruvian sandwiches. I kinda like their sides and sauces the best though – salchipapas, chaufa, and yuca.
    2 buds and I went yesterday for lunch to SanguCHE.

We tried both chicken & beef empanadas as well as all split 3 sandwiches
    Lomo Saltado - strips of beef sirloin sautéed in garlic, vinegar & soy sauce. Served on a French Roll with grilled onions, red peppers, tomatoes and spicy ají panca
    Chicharrón - pork butt that was braised then fried in its own juices. Served on a Ciabatta Roll with slices of sweet potato, Salsa Criolla (onion-cilantro-lime relish) and drizzled with fresh parsley mayo
    Butifarra - slices of savory Spanish pork or jamón de país stewed in garlic, black pepper, achiote, & cumin. Served on ciabatta roll with sweet onion relish - salsa criolla and slathered with fresh parsley mayo.

We inhaled everything. Empanadas were good, but can't say I'd order those again.

Each sandwich was a definite order again. This time I'd request to pay extra if they could double the filling of each.

The bread isn't homemade but toasted just enough to have texture and not suffer from "cold/sitting foodservice bread".

They do serve ceviche as well but not until summer months.

SanguCHE Peruvian Flavors
    535 Fairway Dr Suite 115
    Naperville, IL — 60563
    331-701-7175
    Wednesday — Sunday
    11-3PM; 5-8PM
    https://www.sangucherestaurant.com/
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more