LTH Home

Chef's Special Cocktail Bar - Bucktown

Chef's Special Cocktail Bar - Bucktown
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chef's Special Cocktail Bar - Bucktown

Post #1 - July 9th, 2021, 11:38 am
    Post #1 - July 9th, 2021, 11:38 am Post #1 - July 9th, 2021, 11:38 am
    In spite of its name, this cozy, vintage-feeling Bucktown spot from Jason Vincent and the team behind Giant in Logan Square seems more focused on food than cocktails. I'm guessing their website describes the mission more succinctly than I can:

cscb's website wrote:CSCB serves up delicious food in a casual & stylish atmosphere. Founded in nostalgia we cook from the memories we’ve built over the years enjoying American-Chinese food with our families and friends. Furthermore we are constant appreciation for the long history Chinese food has had on this planet as well as the place it has carved out as an American staple. We hope to extend the warmth of those memories to our guests and keep learning in the process.

A friend and I hung out here for a few hours last week and had a very nice time. We tried a bunch of food -- and cocktails -- and enjoyed them.

The purpose of our visit was mainly social but I grabbed a few shots -- more stylized than expository, due to funky-fun lighting and the sun going down during our session. I didn't take any notes, so while I think the captions below are accuate, there may be errors. As always, consult your bartender before ordering! :D

The Bar
    There's also a couple dining areas and an outdoor patio.

Smooth Operator

Chi Chi Colada

No Topo Here!
    Mineragua with a float of angostura bitters.

Lemongrass Gimlet

Bar Nuts
    Deez nuts?

Egg Rolls

Potstickers

Blue Moon

Chili Crisp Cauliflower

Sesame Pea Tips
    I think we were told that these are actually the greens from the pea plants.

Spa Water & Hopewell Clover Club

Quartet Of Dishes (clockwise from front)
    Dan Dan Noodles, Dry Chili Chicken, Fried Rice and Twice Cooked Pork.

=R=

Chef's Special Cocktail Bar (website)
    2165 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 666-5143
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - July 11th, 2021, 11:52 am
    Post #2 - July 11th, 2021, 11:52 am Post #2 - July 11th, 2021, 11:52 am
    We recently ordered delivery and thoroughly enjoyed the food. It traveled well.

I was surprised that they were not offering cocktails to go/delivery, given the name and reputation. Guess I'll just have to give them a try in person
  • Post #3 - November 4th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Post #3 - November 4th, 2021, 7:22 pm Post #3 - November 4th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Yo! I know there is a contingent of egg roll experts on this board, so feel free to overrule, but the egg rolls at C’sSCB tonight were terrific. Extra crispy. Nice consistency to the filling with no longish strands of cabbage getting stuck in my teeth, or iodine-y abnormally small sshirmps. Loved by the kids and adults.

Some other good stuff as well. Pot stickers, Mapo and Beef/Broccoli all stood out. This was my first time eating in house after a few take-out experiences and the food, I guess unsurprisingly, was markedly better fresh at the table than at home. The portions seemed bigger also.

Cocktails skewed a little sweet for me, but I get it. And some decent beers by the bottle/can if a very limited draft list. Is there a happy hour here? I like the vibe at the bar.

Bumping on a Thursday night. This place is fun and serve more than serviceable American Chinese - it’s an asset to the neighborhood.
  • Post #4 - November 5th, 2021, 8:20 am
    Post #4 - November 5th, 2021, 8:20 am Post #4 - November 5th, 2021, 8:20 am
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Yo! I know there is a contingent of egg roll experts on this board, so feel free to overrule, but the egg rolls at C’sSCB tonight were terrific. Extra crispy. Nice consistency to the filling with no longish strands of cabbage getting stuck in my teeth, or iodine-y abnormally small sshirmps. Loved by the kids and adults.

Ha! I'm the same. Never been one for all the egg roll lust, and no specific love (or nostalgia) for the cabbage-y, extra large, peanut-butter egg rolls most beloved. Nor, do I have much love or interest in jerk egg rolls. Mostly I like the hot mustard. But..but..the egg rolls here, I really like.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more