LTH Home

Eggsum / Kongdog - Korean hotdogs on a stick in Glenview

Eggsum / Kongdog - Korean hotdogs on a stick in Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Eggsum / Kongdog - Korean hotdogs on a stick in Glenview

Post #1 - August 31st, 2021, 4:30 pm
    Post #1 - August 31st, 2021, 4:30 pm Post #1 - August 31st, 2021, 4:30 pm
    The spot on Lake in Glenview that has held L'Ours and Cafe Bene in the past, next to BurgerFi (and sharing a strip with a whole bunch of other Korean places) is now Eggsum Holycow, and was mentioned by Louisa Chu in the Trib last week. The sign outside says Eggsum (iirc), the receipt and website say Holycow.

The menu is small: aside from drinks, it's just hot dogs on a stick (but see below). I thought Ms. Chu described them as corn dogs, but they're not battered, they're covered with dough before frying (not that that's a bad thing).

You choose from eight styles, many of which have sweet things (sweet barley, yam, fruity cereal, yellow bean and condensed milk, caramel puff), several savory (plain, flaming cheetah, spaghetti stix, fried potato). You then choose the dog type: sausage, mozzarella, half mozz/half sausage, half cheddar/half sausage, half mozz/half cheddar (indicated by color-coded sticks). Then, frighteningly, you have the option of regular or powdered sugar (on all but the flaming, spaghetti or yellow bean). Last, a dipping sauce (honey mustard, sweet chilli, and one other... ranch?).

I ordered a fried potato (sausage), and a flaming cheetah (half cheddar). One is a light lunch, two is a pretty big lunch - a side dish might have been a better fit, but alas. Prices are (I think) $4-6.

Question: is it still wrong to put ketchup on a hot dog if it's covered in french fries? I didn't but I considered it.

The sausage reminds me a lot of Costco's hotdog: spongy with too much smoke flavor, not much else. Inside the fried package, it's OK, but it's certainly not a snappy natural casing kosher dog (but it is all beef). The cheddar cheese was nicely melty. The flaming cheeto bits on the cheetah were not especially spicy, but definitely tasty.

This feels like it would fit better in a mall food court where you might be ordering other snacks before/after a movie with the other kids. It was enjoyable, but I don't know that I'm heading back there soon (not with Tous les Jours, Buncha Hanoi, SDB and others in the same strip).

nicely packaged - note the green on the end of the lower stick

ready to eat
    Eggsum Holycow
    1749 Milwaukee Ave, Glenview, IL 60025
    https://goholycow.net/menu
    +18478136333
    Last edited by JoelF on December 3rd, 2021, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - August 31st, 2021, 4:50 pm
    Post #2 - August 31st, 2021, 4:50 pm Post #2 - August 31st, 2021, 4:50 pm
    My son went here and told me that because he loves me, he didn't bring me anything. In other words, he wasn't impressed. :lol:

Joshua Weissman recently posted a video on making this style of dogs and (not surprisingly) his looked a lot more appetizing . . .

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - September 1st, 2021, 5:28 am
    Post #3 - September 1st, 2021, 5:28 am Post #3 - September 1st, 2021, 5:28 am
    Korean hot dogs, coated with crushed Cheetos or fruity cereal, are drawing lines out the door in suburban Glenview

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - September 1st, 2021, 12:11 pm
    Post #4 - September 1st, 2021, 12:11 pm Post #4 - September 1st, 2021, 12:11 pm
    We first encountered this style of hotdogs when we got some on a whim when we were in LA a few years ago. Since then, we've been able to get our fix at Doorae (sometimes listed as Noori) at Assi Plaza--doesn't have all the flavors this place has, but much more convenient, as we can grab one after a shopping trip there.
  • Post #5 - September 1st, 2021, 2:45 pm
    Post #5 - September 1st, 2021, 2:45 pm Post #5 - September 1st, 2021, 2:45 pm
    carrienation wrote:We first encountered this style of hotdogs when we got some on a whim when we were in LA a few years ago. Since then, we've been able to get our fix at Doorae (sometimes listed as Noori) at Assi Plaza--doesn't have all the flavors this place has, but much more convenient, as we can grab one after a shopping trip there.

Like I said, it makes sense there. I haven't been to Assi in a while, Joong Boo is closer.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:37 am
    Post #6 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:37 am Post #6 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:37 am
    There is a mochi donut chain about to come to the area who also serves Korean style hot dogs. Looks like they're going to open multiple places.

We'll see if this whole thing takes off..
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #7 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:41 am
    Post #7 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:41 am Post #7 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:41 am
    I hope they blow up in the US because I love Korean corn dogs and want easy access to them at all times.
  • Post #8 - September 3rd, 2021, 10:48 am
    Post #8 - September 3rd, 2021, 10:48 am Post #8 - September 3rd, 2021, 10:48 am
    Let's hope one of these gets on the menu soon...

https://thetakeout.com/recipe-nashville-hot-chicken-hot-dogs-spicy-deep-frie-1847253386
  • Post #9 - September 3rd, 2021, 2:35 pm
    Post #9 - September 3rd, 2021, 2:35 pm Post #9 - September 3rd, 2021, 2:35 pm
    I just don't get this trend, especially the sweet varieties. They all sound like fried state fair novelty foods. And don't get me wrong, I can really enjoy state fair novelties... but you buy one; share it with the group; laugh at the craziness (and maybe actually enjoy it); and then you move on to ribs and beer. Real foods.

So yeah, I could see trying these maybe once for kicks.... But I can't see them being part of any regular rotation. And unless one of you thinks otherwise, I can't see going out of my way and waiting in line for one either.
  • Post #10 - September 3rd, 2021, 4:31 pm
    Post #10 - September 3rd, 2021, 4:31 pm Post #10 - September 3rd, 2021, 4:31 pm
    Well said
  • Post #11 - December 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm
    Post #11 - December 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm Post #11 - December 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm
    Apparently having fallen fowl of Harry Caray's Estate's lawyers, the place is now KongDog, not Holycow.

They have started serving breakfast (see the website link above), I haven't tried it.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - December 3rd, 2021, 2:39 pm
    Post #12 - December 3rd, 2021, 2:39 pm Post #12 - December 3rd, 2021, 2:39 pm
    It's even more confusing than that. The chain changed the name to Mr. Cow, but there are Kong Dog signs up in the store and a Kong Dog is opening near UIC, but the Mr. Cow IG has mentioned nothing about it, so it's unclear what is and is not related at this point.
  • Post #13 - January 21st, 2022, 7:19 am
    Post #13 - January 21st, 2022, 7:19 am Post #13 - January 21st, 2022, 7:19 am
    gnarchief wrote:It's even more confusing than that. The chain changed the name to Mr. Cow, but there are Kong Dog signs up in the store and a Kong Dog is opening near UIC, but the Mr. Cow IG has mentioned nothing about it, so it's unclear what is and is not related at this point.

Korean Hot Dogs Finally Arrive in Little Italy

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/1/20/228 ... os-doritos
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #14 - January 23rd, 2022, 6:02 pm
    Post #14 - January 23rd, 2022, 6:02 pm Post #14 - January 23rd, 2022, 6:02 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    gnarchief wrote:It's even more confusing than that. The chain changed the name to Mr. Cow, but there are Kong Dog signs up in the store and a Kong Dog is opening near UIC, but the Mr. Cow IG has mentioned nothing about it, so it's unclear what is and is not related at this point.

Korean Hot Dogs Finally Arrive in Little Italy

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/1/20/228 ... os-doritos

Interestingly the first Mochinut in
    n Chicago, which also serves this kind of Korean corn dogs, is opening on Taylor St very close to this soon.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #15 - March 8th, 2022, 8:49 pm
    Post #15 - March 8th, 2022, 8:49 pm Post #15 - March 8th, 2022, 8:49 pm
    Kong Dog is opening a few other outposts soon. First up is Chinatown at 2026 S Clark (near Meet Fresh). They're also opening up one in Lakeview, though I'm unsure of where yet.
  • Post #16 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:04 am
    Post #16 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:04 am Post #16 - March 22nd, 2022, 8:04 am
    A bud and I went the other day to the Glenview location.

In order to try a wide variety of flavors, we ordered 4 dogs, 3 types with the 1/2 beef 1/2 mozz (Potato, hot cheeto, sweet chili dorito) and one chicken sausage, the original.

Chicken sausage itself had no flavor, the beef dog itself had decent flavor, seemed small (looked like 10:1)

We disliked all of them, no discernable flavors, nothing stood out.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #17 - June 19th, 2022, 6:27 pm
    Post #17 - June 19th, 2022, 6:27 pm Post #17 - June 19th, 2022, 6:27 pm
    Kong Dog is opening (or maybe already did) in Lincoln Park at 2411 N Clark St just north of Fullerton. This is in the former Pizza Nostra and Hema's Kitchen spaces. I forgot where I learned about this but if you Google search "Kong Dog Lincoln Park Chicago" then you'll see the profile:

https://kongdog.us/LOCATION/

Looks like they've expanded to upstate NY, DC area, Boston area, etc now too.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more