LTH Home

Casey's (gas station) Pizza

Casey's (gas station) Pizza
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Casey's (gas station) Pizza

Post #1 - September 11th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    Post #1 - September 11th, 2021, 8:25 pm Post #1 - September 11th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    A Casey's Gas Station has opened on the northeast corner at the intersection of 41 and 22 in Highland Park.

I never saw a Casey's outside of less populated areas and never (at least in my experience) in an urban area.

My sister lives in a less populated area with a Casey's merely five miles from home. The best pizza nearby is Casey's. They also make their own donuts, which I have yet to try.

I was reminded of the deliciousness of Casey's watching a video of people biking across Iowa. When Casey's pizza was available at a stop, they were swooning over it.

Can't wait to check it out myself. Who knows, maybe I will like it or maybe not.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm Post #2 - September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:A Casey's Gas Station has opened on the northeast corner at the intersection of 41 and 22 in Highland Park.

I *think* that's the Bucky's on the NE corner. I believe Casey's is on the SW corner but I could be wrong about that.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - September 12th, 2021, 5:39 am
    Post #3 - September 12th, 2021, 5:39 am Post #3 - September 12th, 2021, 5:39 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    My sister lives in a less populated area with a Casey's merely five miles from home. The best pizza nearby is Casey's. They also make their own donuts, which I have yet to try.

I was reminded of the deliciousness of Casey's watching a video of people biking across Iowa. When Casey's pizza was available at a stop, they were swooning over it.

Can't wait to check it out myself. Who knows, maybe I will like it or maybe not.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I have learned, in my travels of recent months, that re: pizza we in Chicagoland are simply spoiled. Here we just stumble into great pizza. My duo played down at Open Outcry Brewing on Cicero in Beverly, and noshed on a post-gig tavern-style sausage/green pepper. Just fabulous, who knew?!

I've also learned that just because a 1000-degree Neopolitan pizza oven is installed, that does not guarantee a good pie.

York, Maine--4 pizza joints, 4 fails. Borderline inedible, even when I was hungry. Bethesda, Maryland has one good place--Frankly Pizza (actually in Kensington, MD) that uses quality ingredients and would be in the ballgame in Chicago, but is a little New Haven-ish (e.g. Piece) soft for my specific tastes, which are thin & crunchy, with fennel-y sausage & sparing on the cheese.

So...Casey's. It is the best pie you'll find at a gas station--quite cheesy, more than I like, but the underlying crust is strong, crunchy and beats anything Iowa has to offer by a long shot, other than an Iowa City college haunt of mine named Pagliai's, and, also in I.C., a small chain in the '70's that I worked called Felix & Oscar's, which was patterned after Uno's pan pizza and pretty decent.
  • Post #4 - September 12th, 2021, 8:31 am
    Post #4 - September 12th, 2021, 8:31 am Post #4 - September 12th, 2021, 8:31 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:A Casey's Gas Station has opened on the northeast corner at the intersection of 41 and 22 in Highland Park.

I *think* that's the Bucky's on the NE corner. I believe Casey's is on the SW corner but I could be wrong about that.

=R=

This change happened very fast over the last few days. Bucky's/Mobile is gone and Casey's is in that spot.

The SW corner remains a Mobil.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #5 - September 12th, 2021, 11:21 am
    Post #5 - September 12th, 2021, 11:21 am Post #5 - September 12th, 2021, 11:21 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

This change happened very fast over the last few days. Bucky's/Mobile is gone and Casey's is in that spot.

Wow! Very fast, indeed. Appreciate the update.

=R=
  • Post #6 - September 12th, 2021, 12:09 pm
    Post #6 - September 12th, 2021, 12:09 pm Post #6 - September 12th, 2021, 12:09 pm
    Casey's also can be found at 294 E Townline Rd Vernon Hills.
  • Post #7 - September 12th, 2021, 7:24 pm
    Post #7 - September 12th, 2021, 7:24 pm Post #7 - September 12th, 2021, 7:24 pm
    The SW corner building was much too small to allow pizza as the product is freshly made on location and requires a real kitchen.
  • Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 3:45 pm
    Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 3:45 pm Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 3:45 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Wow! Very fast, indeed. Appreciate the update.

=R=

So....Casey’s acquired Bucky’s Convenience Stores earlier this year. Any remaining Bucky's will be rebranded to Casey's.

Intrigued by fresh made gas station pizza, I convinced Cathy (it wasn't difficult) to meet me at 41 & 22 for a taste test today. While I was waiting for her, I browsed the display of slices in the rotating pizza display thingy. A freaking friendly employee came up to me to let me know that there were free sample slices in one of the pizza thingys. I told her that waiting for a friend. A few minutes later, Cathy showed up. While we were deciding what to get, another freaking friendly employee came up to us offering the free samples. Cathy asked the employee if the dough was made fresh in-house. Indeed it is. After a little conversation back and forth, freaking friendly employee #2 comped both of us a regular slice. Cathy also got a free Coke from the fountain. There's my Official Disclosure.

Anyway, the pizza wasn't bad. Not great. We both chose sausage. I guess it's better than a roller dog. The location at 41 & 22 has a picnic table outside. Maybe a future LTHNLG outing?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #9 - September 13th, 2021, 4:08 pm
    Post #9 - September 13th, 2021, 4:08 pm Post #9 - September 13th, 2021, 4:08 pm
    Dave148 wrote: I guess it's better than a roller dog.

Damning with faint praise.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - September 13th, 2021, 4:54 pm
    Post #10 - September 13th, 2021, 4:54 pm Post #10 - September 13th, 2021, 4:54 pm
    Hi,

I am intrigued by gas station roller foods. On my last road trip, I was entertained by the variety. Unfortunately, my companion wasn't onboard to sample a few. I really dislike throwing away food, so I wait for a better composition of people.

In the Springfield area once a upon a time, there was a factory who made roller hot dogs for Sears. I was sitting between a Springfield food writer and the son of the founder of Cozy Dog, who both proclaimed their love for this style of dog. Unfortunately, this company went out of business and they both missed that special roller concoction.

Back to Casey's, these enthusiastic ladies both used the same tag line to describe Casey's pizza: "Life changing!" I won't go that far, though if Casey's is consistent in their product, it could be the best pizza in smaller market town.

The Mobil on the southwest corner accepts Mobil cards for now, though it will be refreshed as a Casey's sometime soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #11 - September 13th, 2021, 6:22 pm
    Post #11 - September 13th, 2021, 6:22 pm Post #11 - September 13th, 2021, 6:22 pm
    Casey's seems to be making the foray into larger markets. They seem to have a formula for better than average ( or even best ) pizza in the smaller towns. That will not work in the Chicago metro area. Wonder if they continue with the fresh made pizza here.

There are some other huge Bucky's in the metro area. I often stop at one in Wheaton for gas.
  • Post #12 - September 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm
    Post #12 - September 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm Post #12 - September 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm
    lougord99 wrote:... They seem to have a formula for better than average ( or even best ) pizza in the smaller towns. That will not work in the Chicago metro area.

Exactly. That's why, in a town teeming with excellent family owned Mexican; Burger; and Pizza joints, Taco Bell; McDonald's; and Pizza Hut are practically non-existent.

Oh, wait...

Buddy
  • Post #13 - September 13th, 2021, 8:57 pm
    Post #13 - September 13th, 2021, 8:57 pm Post #13 - September 13th, 2021, 8:57 pm
    lougord99 wrote:There are some other huge Bucky's in the metro area. I often stop at one in Wheaton for gas.

Soon to be a Casey's!

Thinking about this a little more, Casey's is a 24-hour operation. If you want a fresh pizza at 3:00 am, they may be the only game in town whether it is tinyville or Chicago.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #14 - September 14th, 2021, 9:43 am
    Post #14 - September 14th, 2021, 9:43 am Post #14 - September 14th, 2021, 9:43 am
    A few random thoughts:

The swoon over Casey's is IMO caused by the dearth of good convenience store chains up this way. Go visit Buc-ee's or Stripes in the south for example. Or Kwik-Trip in WI/MN as a closer example. What do we have around here? Speedway or 7-Eleven or Circle K; mostly all hot messes. So in a lot of places Casey's gets attention simply for being the "tallest midget", if you know what I mean. I've spent most of my 25 year banking career in the ATM business; let's just say I've spent A LOT of time in c-stores.

Now, I frequent Casey's; it's the first gas station if I head west out of town. I have mixed emotions about them; not exactly because of how they operate but because of the impact of their presence in so many small towns. I spend a lot of time in the fall in the Great Plains and upper Great Lakes states and I've watched many a small town whither away. Want to see a small town struggling to hold onto small business lose the fight? Watch what happens when Casey's decides to move in (or to renovate a small store into a large format one) and Dollar General (and the like) move into town. Casey's will kill the local pizza place and the cafe along with any other smaller gas stations in town. Dollar General will kill the grocery store and often the hardware store as well. Yeah you can get breakfast pizza or c-store biscuits and gravy or cheap milk but it comes at a cost. This isn't true in every small town and often those businesses were not teetering on failure to begin with....but I can rattle off a whole bunch where I've seen it happen over the last decade.

Off my soapbox. Casey's pizza is ok...enough. Kinda like a "good" gas station hot dog; it might be better than most but it's still a gas station hot dog. But when traveling I do what I can to avoid the corporate chains and visit the independent places, where ever possible.

JMO,
    Dave
  • Post #15 - September 14th, 2021, 10:09 am
    Post #15 - September 14th, 2021, 10:09 am Post #15 - September 14th, 2021, 10:09 am
    lougord99 wrote:... They seem to have a formula for better than average ( or even best ) pizza in the smaller towns. That will not work in the Chicago metro area.

Exactly. That's why, in a town teeming with excellent family owned Mexican; Burger; and Pizza joints, Taco Bell; McDonald's; and Pizza Hut are practically non-existent.

Oh, wait...

Buddy

Not sure I get your point here, Buddy. If you're implying Chicago has plenty of Taco Bells, McDonalds, and Pizza Huts, I'd have to disagree. When scaled for population density, those chains are quite scarce here compared to the U.S. as a whole. As Lougord99 implied, I'd imagine that's because bad food does not sell here like it does in rural America.
  • Post #16 - September 14th, 2021, 1:27 pm
    Post #16 - September 14th, 2021, 1:27 pm Post #16 - September 14th, 2021, 1:27 pm
    I totally agree that in a perfect world of enlightened palates, corporate fast food shouldn't be able to get a foothold in a city like Chicago. Furthermore, I truly wish, from the bottom of my well rounded stomach that lougord's assertion were true.

However, it's simply not the case. Underestimating the bad taste and poor judgment of the general public is never a winning strategy. I work in a neighborhood filled with decent to excellent Mexican and Latin food options within a few minutes drive. Yet too many of my colleagues will regularly choose Chipotle over any of the better Mom & Pop options.

Which brings me to your point. I listed Taco Bell, McDonald's, and Pizza Hut as (arguably) the best representatives of corporate fast food in general. You may be correct about the population density statistics for those three specifically, but add in Chipotle; and any lesser known Mexican chain operations, Burger King, Wendy's, Culver's (IMO, the only one serving anything that even resembles good quality), Domino's, Little Caesars, Sarpino's, Papa John's, and any other regional or national chains I forgot, and you'll see plenty of representation across the Chicago metro area, with no shortage of business for any of them.

Bottom line: absolutely agree things should work the way lougord states; totally sad it just ain't that way.

Buddy
  • Post #17 - September 14th, 2021, 8:19 pm
    Post #17 - September 14th, 2021, 8:19 pm Post #17 - September 14th, 2021, 8:19 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:There are some other huge Bucky's in the metro area. I often stop at one in Wheaton for gas.

Soon to be a Casey's!

Thinking about this a little more, Casey's is a 24-hour operation. If you want a fresh pizza at 3:00 am, they may be the only game in town whether it is tinyville or Chicago.

Regards,
    Cathy2

The only northeast Illinois location with 24 hour pizza is in Addison. The others stop serving no later than 10PM.
  • Post #18 - September 14th, 2021, 9:55 pm
    Post #18 - September 14th, 2021, 9:55 pm Post #18 - September 14th, 2021, 9:55 pm
    In the last few days, I've noticed a couple of Casey's opening up. Because I spend a lot of time on the road in more remote areas, I'm familiar with the sign -- but since, at least in remote areas, they don't carry premium gas, I've always skipped them. Amusing to think that the food might be the big draw for me now. :)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #19 - September 15th, 2021, 8:31 am
    Post #19 - September 15th, 2021, 8:31 am Post #19 - September 15th, 2021, 8:31 am
    Hi,

For a number of years, driving I-80 to New Jersey was a milk run for us. Pennsylvania-Ohio border was the halfway point. Crossing Pennsyvania was a miserable distance of pretty much food we did not want. I would experiment getting off at various truck stops and small towns for food. At the midpoint was a civil war era hotel with a restaurant, which we really wanted to like and did not.

At the OH-PA border are a few Waffle Houses, so we filled up at least before heading east. For the return, buying a bagel sandwich in NJ to eat along the way was a better bet.

Since then, I have learned there is gas station food culture I should have sought out. It is apparently what the locals do, so why not? Of course, now we don't do that drive very often.

My sister is greatly amused we now have a Casey's nearby.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #20 - September 17th, 2021, 11:30 am
    Post #20 - September 17th, 2021, 11:30 am Post #20 - September 17th, 2021, 11:30 am
    scottsol wrote:The only northeast Illinois location with 24 hour pizza is in Addison. The others stop serving no later than 10PM.

You can get pizza at 5 am! No idea when, if ever, I will check it out.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - September 17th, 2021, 3:31 pm
    Post #21 - September 17th, 2021, 3:31 pm Post #21 - September 17th, 2021, 3:31 pm
    While most Casey’s stop pizza at 10PM, they start up again between 4:30 AM and 5:30 AM.
  • Post #22 - September 17th, 2021, 3:35 pm
    Post #22 - September 17th, 2021, 3:35 pm Post #22 - September 17th, 2021, 3:35 pm
    jnm123 wrote:So...Casey's. It is the best pie you'll find at a gas station--quite cheesy, more than I like, but the underlying crust is strong, crunchy and beats anything Iowa has to offer by a long shot, other than an Iowa City college haunt of mine named Pagliai's, and, also in I.C., a small chain in the '70's that I worked called Felix & Oscar's, which was patterned after Uno's pan pizza and pretty decent.

There is still a Felix &Oscar's in Des Moines.....never knew they existed in Iowa City.

And, I strongly disagree with your statement that Casey's pizza beats anything Iowa has to offer by a long shot.

There are Casey's all over the place here in the Des Moines area (the chain is headquartered in suburban Ankeny), and I would never even consider getting pizza from there.

Casey's pizza is decent for gas station pizza, but not better than very many restaurants' pizza. To me, Casey's has always been a c-store/fast food restaurant that happens to sell gas, rather than an actual gas station. C-stores are pretty much the only place to find gas now in Des Moines, and we are saturated with them. I guess part of that is due to 3 of the 50 largest c-shop chains beinged headquartered here.
  • Post #23 - September 18th, 2021, 3:57 am
    Post #23 - September 18th, 2021, 3:57 am Post #23 - September 18th, 2021, 3:57 am
    ex-chicago wrote:
    jnm123 wrote:So...Casey's. It is the best pie you'll find at a gas station--quite cheesy, more than I like, but the underlying crust is strong, crunchy and beats anything Iowa has to offer by a long shot, other than an Iowa City college haunt of mine named Pagliai's, and, also in I.C., a small chain in the '70's that I worked called Felix & Oscar's, which was patterned after Uno's pan pizza and pretty decent.

There is still a Felix &Oscar's in Des Moines.....never knew they existed in Iowa City.

And, I strongly disagree with your statement that Casey's pizza beats anything Iowa has to offer by a long shot.

There are Casey's all over the place here in the Des Moines area (the chain is headquartered in suburban Ankeny), and I would never even consider getting pizza from there.

Casey's pizza is decent for gas station pizza, but not better than very many restaurants' pizza. To me, Casey's has always been a c-store/fast food restaurant that happens to sell gas, rather than an actual gas station. C-stores are pretty much the only place to find gas now in Des Moines, and we are saturated with them. I guess part of that is due to 3 of the 50 largest c-shop chains being headquartered here.

Yeah, I was part of the staff that launched the Iowa City F&O's in 1979. At one point, there were 4 stores--one near Drake on University, one at Merle Hay mall, then one in Ames. The Iowa City restaurant only stayed open about 5 years, but it was a good run and the pan pizza was excellent.

I am prone to exaggeration--I know there are pizza's better'n Casey's in Iowa. Please share as I am in Des Moines occasionally. Does tavern-style (crispy & thin) exist there?
  • Post #24 - September 18th, 2021, 2:48 pm
    Post #24 - September 18th, 2021, 2:48 pm Post #24 - September 18th, 2021, 2:48 pm
    jnm123 wrote:
    I am prone to exaggeration--I know there are pizza's better'n Casey's in Iowa. Please share as I am in Des Moines occasionally. Does tavern-style (crispy & thin) exist there?

There are several places here where you can get tavern style, including Pagliai's, which does have a location in suburban Des Moines. There are also several old-time Italian restaurants with tavern style pizza (Bordenaro's, Scornovacca's, Chuck's and Noah's off the top of my head). I've been on a mission here lately to convince people that tavern style, not deep dish, is the true Chicago pizza.

Sorry to take this thread off topic.
  • Post #25 - September 18th, 2021, 11:35 pm
    Post #25 - September 18th, 2021, 11:35 pm Post #25 - September 18th, 2021, 11:35 pm
    I attended Drake University in Des Moines in the 80's. Good pizza could be had at Paul Revere's Pizza right next to campus. I see that a location still exists in the city. Worth a try.
  • Post #26 - September 19th, 2021, 7:44 am
    Post #26 - September 19th, 2021, 7:44 am Post #26 - September 19th, 2021, 7:44 am
    So...Casey's. beats anything Iowa has to offer by a long shot

This is a really bad joke and it's not funny.
    Harris pizza in Davenport, for one.
  • Post #27 - September 19th, 2021, 8:12 am
    Post #27 - September 19th, 2021, 8:12 am Post #27 - September 19th, 2021, 8:12 am
    ex-chicago wrote:Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Always great to learn something new, plus I go to Des Moines from time to time, too.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - September 19th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Post #28 - September 19th, 2021, 12:58 pm Post #28 - September 19th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

Always great to learn something new, plus I go to Des Moines from time to time, too.

Cathy2

If you ever want recommendations when in town, please let me know.
  • Post #29 - September 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm
    Post #29 - September 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm Post #29 - September 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm
    ex-chicago wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Cathy2

If you ever want recommendations when in town, please let me know.

Why not just post them here?

=R=
  • Post #30 - July 19th, 2022, 10:05 pm
    Post #30 - July 19th, 2022, 10:05 pm Post #30 - July 19th, 2022, 10:05 pm
    Since I live right down the road from Casey's in HP I tried the pizza a few months ago. While I had high hopes that it might a guilty pleasure it was school cafeteria quality with lousy sausage and weak sauce. Would I eat it in a pinch when hungry and heading north on 41? Yes I guess as a last resort I would. With the Casey's app you can get 2 slices for $5. I haven't done it yet but I am sure one day I will be in a hurry heading to my friends in Lake Bluff and won't want to head to the southbound side of 41 to get Wendy's or Taco Bell. Then and only then will I have Casey's.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more