LTH Home

Uncle Jerry's Pizza Company - Cary, IL

Uncle Jerry's Pizza Company - Cary, IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Uncle Jerry's Pizza Company - Cary, IL

Post #1 - October 17th, 2021, 10:33 pm
    Post #1 - October 17th, 2021, 10:33 pm Post #1 - October 17th, 2021, 10:33 pm
    I'll start by saying Uncle Jerry's serves a very good pizza that the people of Cary are lucky to have. I've lived in Chicago virtually all my life and while I'm pretty sure I'd heard of Cary before I couldn't say why and I'd certainly never been there. But when I saw the glowing review in the Tribune, Cary was on my map.

Chicago Tribune wrote:I’m talking about a picture-perfect pie, one with bright red chunks of tomato resting on a base of gooey, tangy cheese with tempting chunks of freshly made Italian sausage scattered about. It’s all held by a crackly and remarkably light crust that’s only about one-third inch thick in the middle.

I made it out to Cary this weekend. I had a pizza with a very good sauce, sausage and cheese. Not wold-changing, but all really, really good. The problem I had was the crust.

Chicago Tribune wrote:He also made the choice to actually season the crust, which sounds like the most obvious thing in the world to do, but you’d be surprised how obnoxiously bland most deep-dish crusts taste.
    I didn't notice any seasoning in the crust, but frankly that's not a deal breaker when the the other elements step things up. The problem was that the crust on my pizza was dense and dry, and that is a deal breaker. I'm guessing it was overcooked, but I have no idea for now whether I just had really bad luck or if the place has consistency problems. I do know that as out of the way as it is for me, I won't go back without other people doing that leg work. Hopefully some of you who find themselves near or in Cary more often than me can check it out.

Uncle Jerry's Pizza Company
    133 W Main St
    Cary, IL
    (224) 888-8663
  • Post #2 - October 18th, 2021, 7:30 am
    Post #2 - October 18th, 2021, 7:30 am Post #2 - October 18th, 2021, 7:30 am
    Will second everything MCH said: it's a nice pizza w/an overbaked crust that is neither destination-worthy nor superior to George's or Milly's. But it is a worthwhile stop if you're on your way up to Lake Geneva via 12 or 14.
  • Post #3 - November 12th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Post #3 - November 12th, 2022, 9:35 pm Post #3 - November 12th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Just returned from a visit to Uncle Jerry's. It was the first stop in a short tour around the far northwest/west suburbs, followed by Ice Cream at Milk House Creamery, and carry-out Fried Chicken at Lothson's in Dekalb.

Our Sausage/Mushroom/Onion pie was excellent. Crust was dandy; toppings were well balanced, in terms of both appearance and taste. Very good garlic forward sausage, nice chunks of fresh Portabello mushrooms, and a solid smattering of slivered onions. The crust's edge featured a lighter version of the caramelized cheese made famous by Burt Katz at his various restaurants. Very palatable with a not over done crispy texture and flavor.

Wish I lived closer to Cary, cuz I'd be a regular.

Buddy

Uncle Jerry's Pizza Company
    133 W Main St
    Cary, IL
    (224) 888-8663

The Milk House Ice Cream
    230 Reinking Rd
    Pingree Grove, IL
    (224) 530-3951

Lothson's Karry Out Fried Chicken
    644 E Lincoln Hwy
    DeKalb, IL
    (815) 756-4303
  • Post #4 - November 13th, 2022, 11:12 pm
    Post #4 - November 13th, 2022, 11:12 pm Post #4 - November 13th, 2022, 11:12 pm
    I had Uncle Jerry's once but I have to say I didn't agree with the hype. It was pretty good but not destination worthy. On the other hand my brother loved it and has since returned.
  • Post #5 - November 14th, 2022, 1:14 am
    Post #5 - November 14th, 2022, 1:14 am Post #5 - November 14th, 2022, 1:14 am
    [quote="Ram4"]I had Uncle Jerry's once but I have to say I didn't agree with the hype. It was pretty good but not destination worthy. /quote]

Depends how much of a destination it is.

If you're coming from the south side of Chicago, maybe not so much. If you're starting out from the northwest suburbs, and can group it in with a few other stops, as we did, then it's absolutely destination worthy.

Buddy
  • Post #6 - November 14th, 2022, 1:15 am
    Post #6 - November 14th, 2022, 1:15 am Post #6 - November 14th, 2022, 1:15 am
    Ram4 wrote:I had Uncle Jerry's once but I have to say I didn't agree with the hype. It was pretty good but not destination worthy.

If you're coming from the south side of Chicago, maybe not so much. If you're starting out from the northwest suburbs, and can group it in with a few other stops, as we did, then it's absolutely destination worthy.

Buddy
  • Post #7 - November 14th, 2022, 1:29 am
    Post #7 - November 14th, 2022, 1:29 am Post #7 - November 14th, 2022, 1:29 am
    Just heard about this place from a couple of friends who gave an enthusiastic review. Will at least give it a shot next time I'm in the area.
  • Post #8 - November 14th, 2022, 8:47 am
    Post #8 - November 14th, 2022, 8:47 am Post #8 - November 14th, 2022, 8:47 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I had Uncle Jerry's once but I have to say I didn't agree with the hype. It was pretty good but not destination worthy.

Buddy
    A south sider wouldn't want deep dish anyway. :wink: I'll give it another shot one day but for now, no plans to return any time soon.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more