LTH Home

Double Clutch Brewing Co - New Brewpub in Evanston

Double Clutch Brewing Co - New Brewpub in Evanston
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Double Clutch Brewing Co - New Brewpub in Evanston

Post #1 - November 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm
    Post #1 - November 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm Post #1 - November 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm
    Double Clutch has been open for two weeks. We had dinner there tonight, and IT'S VERY GOOD!

This is quite a large space, just west of the Walgreens and Social Security office on Green Bay Road. At the moment, the sidewalk along Ashland is under construction, and the entrance to their parking lot from Ashland is blocked off. You can enter the lot from the north-south alley just east of the restaurant, between Ashland and Jackson.
    There are two large dining rooms, as well as a display of several classic cars. (I'll take the McLaren!)
    We ordered several dishes as well as a couple of beers, and everything we had was very good indeed!

HARVEST PEAR SALAD - spinach tossed in honey dijon vinaigrette, roasted pears, bacon, fennel, goat cheese, candied pecans, with optional salmon
    BELGIAN P.E.I MUSSELS - hand-picked mussels in our DCBC Hefeweizen beer broth, loaded with bacon, shallots, garlic and herbs, served with honey beer bread for dipping
    BEER-BRAISED SHORT RIB - smoked beer-braised short rib, garlic parmesan mash, glazed carrots served with honey beer bread
    BEER-BATTERED SIDEWINDERS - came with the mussels and they are great fries
    ONION RINGS
    Needless to say, they have a decent assortment of beers (two of which were deemed very good by my companion) as well as wine and spirits.

Double Clutch Brewing Company
    2121 Ashland Avenue
    Evanston IL 60201
    224-456-7890
    doubleclutchbrewing.com
  • Post #2 - November 11th, 2021, 5:36 pm
    Post #2 - November 11th, 2021, 5:36 pm Post #2 - November 11th, 2021, 5:36 pm
    Building on Ken’s post, I was there last about a week and a half ago, after they’d opened the previous Friday. Since it was so new, it’s understandable there are still a few kinks to work out.

It’s a blockish, unremarkable building, in a not-very-busy neighborhood.

From the outside, you’d never guess all the money that was poured into the building’s innards. (Or should I say “driven” into the building’s interior?)
    And the cars ...
    (I made a NSFW comment about some of these cars — you’ll have to ask me in person if you want to hear it.)

In a few words, the food was pretty good, the beers, not so much.

We started with Fried Pickles. We’ve been jonesing for the fried pickles from Celtic Knot lately; these were a little fluffier, more tempura-like. A slightly different, but excellent version.

Belgian P.E.I. Mussels were good, in an herby Hefeweizen broth with bacon. (See Hefeweizen comments below.) Unfortunately, the honey beer bread that came with it, while delicious on its own, was too dense and fatty to do much good at sopping up the broth. (We suggested to the server that something more akin to a baguette would be better for soaking up the tasty broth.)

The Pulled Pork Sammy consisted of flavorful smoked pulled pork, slaw, pickles, and crispy fried onion strings.
    Note the beer-battered “sidewinders” — their version of thick-cut French Fries — on the right. (I’d always thought a sidewinder was a snake, but there was no evidence of reptilian flesh anywhere near these fries.) As fries, they were excellent.

I didn’t get a pic of the beers, but had a sampler (which was served in a plastic replica of an engine block). In general, each of the beers were okay, clean, inoffensive, but lacked some of character that would define each style. For example, if you concentrated, you could pick out the banana-clove notes in the Hefeweizen, but they weren’t as pronounced as you’d expect for that beer. Similarly, the Märzen wasn’t as malty as I anticipate in the style. Other beers shared the same fate. Strangely, when I asked our server about dark beers, he said the Märzen was the darkest they made (and it was a lighter amber than many Märzens I’ve had). He also said he didn’t know of any plans to make a porter or stout. (I’m hoping that’s just a result of his newness there and inexperience in the beer world in general.)

Overall, Double Clutch is a good option for the food, and the cars; there are better options for locally-brewed beers in Evanston. (Full disclosure — I work on a very occasional basis for Sketchbook Brewing Company.)
    Last edited by nr706 on November 11th, 2021, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #3 - November 11th, 2021, 6:42 pm
    Post #3 - November 11th, 2021, 6:42 pm Post #3 - November 11th, 2021, 6:42 pm
    nr706 wrote:Building on Ken’s post, I was there last about a week and a half ago, after they’d opened the previous Friday. Since it was so new, it’s understandable there are still a few kinks to work out.

It’s a blockish, unremarkable building, in a not-very-busy neighborhood.

From the outside, you’d never guess all the money that was poured into the building’s innards. (Or should I say “driven” into the building’s interior?)
    And the cars ...
    (I made a NSFW comment about some of these cars — you’ll have to ask me in person if you want to hear it.)

In a few words, the food was pretty good, the beers, not so much.

We started with Fried Pickles. We’ve been jonesing for the fried pickles from Celtic Knot lately; these were a little fluffier, more tempura-like. A slightly different, but excellent version.

Belgian P.E.I. Mussels were good, in an herby Hefeweizen broth with bacon. (See Hefeweizen comments below.) Unfortunately, the honey beer bread that came with it, while delicious on its own, was too dense and fatty to do much good at sopping up the broth. (We suggested to the server that something more akin to a baguette would be better for soaking up the tasty broth.)

The Double Clutch Burger consisted of two 4 oz. patties, with jalapeño beer cheese (not especially spicy), bacon, arugula, pickles, and what was described as “beer-braised onions” (actually crispy fried onion strings. Not as expected, but a nice burger topping) A very good burger.
    Note the beer-battered “sidewinders” — their version of thick-cut French Fries — on the right. (I’d always thought a sidewinder was a snake, but there was no evidence of reptilian flesh anywhere near these fries.) As fries, they were excellent.

I didn’t get a pic of the beers, but had a sampler (which was served in a plastic replica of an engine block). In general, each of the beers were okay, clean, inoffensive, but lacked some of character that would define each style. For example, if you concentrated, you could pick out the banana-clove notes in the Hefeweizen, but they weren’t as pronounced as you’d expect for that beer. Similarly, the Märzen wasn’t as malty as I anticipate in the style. Other beers shared the same fate. Strangely, when I asked our server about dark beers, he said the Märzen was the darkest they made (and it was a lighter amber than many Märzens I’ve had). He also said he didn’t know of any plans to make a porter or stout. (I’m hoping that’s just a result of his newness there and inexperience in the beer world in general.)

Overall, Double Clutch is a good option for the food, and the cars; there are better options for locally-brewed beers in Evanston. (Full disclosure — I work on a very occasional basis for Sketchbook Brewing Company.)

Sounds like it would be worth it for the food and the cars. For what its worth, it seems like very few American Brewers are able to nail hefeweissens. I think two brothers ebel Weiss is the only one I enjoy consistently. Better to stick with the German ones
  • Post #4 - November 12th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    Post #4 - November 12th, 2021, 7:05 pm Post #4 - November 12th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    Strangely, when I asked our server about dark beers, he said the Märzen was the darkest they made (and it was a lighter amber than many Märzens I’ve had). He also said he didn’t know of any plans to make a porter or stout. (I’m hoping that’s just a result of his newness there and inexperience in the beer world in general.)

According to the Tribune this is a current trend.
    [url]https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-prem-chicago-lager-beer-dovetail-metropolitan-goldfinger-20211021-lughffeh5jasllrqz7o7qh4xca-story.html[/url)
  • Post #5 - November 12th, 2021, 7:07 pm
    Post #5 - November 12th, 2021, 7:07 pm Post #5 - November 12th, 2021, 7:07 pm
    scottsol wrote:
    nr706 wrote:
    Strangely, when I asked our server about dark beers, he said the Märzen was the darkest they made (and it was a lighter amber than many Märzens I’ve had). He also said he didn’t know of any plans to make a porter or stout. (I’m hoping that’s just a result of his newness there and inexperience in the beer world in general.)

According to the Tribune this is a current trend.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-prem-chicago-lager-beer-dovetail-metropolitan-goldfinger-20211021-lughffeh5jasllrqz7o7qh4xca-story.html
  • Post #6 - November 12th, 2021, 9:15 pm
    Post #6 - November 12th, 2021, 9:15 pm Post #6 - November 12th, 2021, 9:15 pm
    Lagers are trending (unless you note that virtually all macrobrews are lagers), and Dovetail and Metropolitan have great lager beers (both usually including a dark beer or two from time to time), but for a brewpub, I'd normally expect a range of beers, including darker beers — especially appropriate IMHO as the weather gets cooler.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more