LTH Home

Basant 'Modern Indian' - North Center

Basant 'Modern Indian' - North Center
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Basant 'Modern Indian' - North Center

Post #1 - March 11th, 2022, 12:08 am
    Post #1 - March 11th, 2022, 12:08 am Post #1 - March 11th, 2022, 12:08 am
    A friend had heard some things about this place near his house and its chef/co-owner, who had notched quite a few culinary accomplishments in India over the years (chef, culinary instructor, award winner). Executive Chef Manmohan Singh and his son Jeet, opened the place back in December of 2020.

So, my friend and I -- along with our better halves -- had dinner there a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. The menu is enticing from top to bottom. Not only are there fresh, distinctive takes on some familiar dishes but there also several dishes I've never seen in local restaurants, including a few Kashmiri specialties. I'm not very well versed in regional Indian cuisine, so I'm not even sure where to start. I'll just say that we ordered 7+ dishes and they were all things I'd happily order again. That said, I actually might not because we left several others unordered, all of which I really want to try next time I go.

We started with the Fish & Chips, which was assertively seasoned and perfectly cooked. Meaty and umami-rich Jackfruit Cutlets were also another winner. My only disappointment was that the Pork Belly Achari , something I really wanted to try, was 86'd.

After apps, we shared several more dishes, including the Takka Tak with Paneer, Lamb Gustaba, Seafood Khichdi, Dal Maharani, Eggplant Bharta and the Chana Masala. Rice accompanied and we ordered a couple of Lacha Paratha. Nothing here I wouldn't order again. Normally, I wouldn't order dal and chickpeas but I was just really curious about the chana masala, which turned out to be a very dark (in color), herbaceous and delicious take on a dish I've had at dozens of other places. I'd never had a version like this, though.

Also, the bar is pretty cool. Initially, I was a little disappointed that no Indian whiskies were offered on the menu but the cocktails were well-conceived, well-made and delicious. I think I tasted at least 4 different ones -- mine plus those of my 3 companions -- and while I liked them all, I loved the Shandaar, Basant's take on an Old Fashioned. The balance on this drink was dead solid perfect, with a deftly applied hint of palo cortado sherry coming at the finish of each sip. Nicely done.

So much deliciousness to explore here, and I really hope to return soon.

=R=

1939 W Byron St
    Chicago, IL 60613
    (773) 770-3616
    https://www.basantchicago.com/
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - March 11th, 2022, 12:24 am
    Post #2 - March 11th, 2022, 12:24 am Post #2 - March 11th, 2022, 12:24 am
    P.s. I really didn't take any worthy pics but here's a nice 'action' shot of our table in the heat of the moment . . .

Basant - 22.0309

=R=
  • Post #3 - March 11th, 2022, 9:12 am
    Post #3 - March 11th, 2022, 9:12 am Post #3 - March 11th, 2022, 9:12 am
    Their fish and chips just got included in the Eater's "where to eat fish and chips in Chicago" write up.

I was thinking about picking it up for dinner tonight and checking out their menu... But it's listed as an appetizer at $11, which is either a fantastic deal or too small a portion for a meal.

That said, what say you? Could I do that for a takeout meal, or will I be left hungry?
  • Post #4 - March 11th, 2022, 10:09 am
    Post #4 - March 11th, 2022, 10:09 am Post #4 - March 11th, 2022, 10:09 am
    jellob1976 wrote:Their fish and chips just got included in the Eater's "where to eat fish and chips in Chicago" write up.

I was thinking about picking it up for dinner tonight and checking out their menu... But it's listed as an appetizer at $11, which is either a fantastic deal or too small a portion for a meal.

That said, what say you? Could I do that for a takeout meal, or will I be left hungry?

It was delicious and a highlight but for me, it was definitely an appetizer portion. 4 small pieces fish and nice, small bowl of chips (fries) . . . and chutney, too. Maybe for a light eater, it'd work as a meal but I wouldn't recommend it.

=R=
  • Post #5 - March 11th, 2022, 1:07 pm
    Post #5 - March 11th, 2022, 1:07 pm Post #5 - March 11th, 2022, 1:07 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    jellob1976 wrote:Their fish and chips just got included in the Eater's "where to eat fish and chips in Chicago" write up.

It was delicious and a highlight but for me, it was definitely an appetizer portion. 4 small pieces fish and nice, small bowl of chips (fries) . . . and chutney, too. Maybe for a light eater, it'd work as a meal but I wouldn't recommend it.

=R=

Thanks, much appreciated!
  • Post #6 - March 12th, 2022, 10:31 am
    Post #6 - March 12th, 2022, 10:31 am Post #6 - March 12th, 2022, 10:31 am
    Don’t miss the eggplant and Muligatawny soup .The soup is Not something I routinely order in Indian restaurants but this is the best version I’ve had
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #7 - March 12th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    Post #7 - March 12th, 2022, 8:12 pm Post #7 - March 12th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    We thoroughly enjoyed our delivery order from Basant a couple of months ago. The lure was that they offer cauliflower rice as a side, and we try to go lower carb on weeknights. We enjoyed everything we ate, and look forward to future meals.
  • Post #8 - March 24th, 2022, 11:54 am
    Post #8 - March 24th, 2022, 11:54 am Post #8 - March 24th, 2022, 11:54 am
    The food here is good, very well spiced. One thing I think is overlooked, but would recommend is the excellent cocktail program they have. We've tried a bunch of them and they're all good and some are great. I especially liked the Goan Summer and the Rum Chuski. They are well balanced and also a little spicy (?). They also do some fancy pants cocktail bar tricks like set stuff on fire and smoke things.
  • Post #9 - September 15th, 2022, 11:36 am
    Post #9 - September 15th, 2022, 11:36 am Post #9 - September 15th, 2022, 11:36 am
    Really nice visit. I'm a teetotaling vegetarian, so I couldn't experience the full impact, but what I had is good enough that I am looking forward to coming back.

The mulligatawny soup starter was well made and spicy. I think the kitchen should grind some fresh pepper before sending it. It's called Pepper Water, so a little freshly ground Telicherry No. 1 would be great.

I had a Paanwalla mocktail that was really well made and tasted like liquid paan. The only problem is we eat paan after dinner, so it was watery before I could really enjoy it after my dinner. Next time I'll order it with less ice. I hope they offer this as a digestif rather than a aperitif to patrons.

The garlic naan was redolent and crispy/chewy like it should be, but not always is. This was really good.

The Malai Kofta was fantastic. Probably the best I've had. Usually it's mostly potatoes and a bit of paneer. Not here. It was made with loads of grated paneer and dotted with golden raisins. It was fried with discretion and was fluffy and delicious. The tomato/onion sauce was fragrant and reminiscent of the gravy made for Baghara Baingan, without the coconut and tamarind. Plus the dish was substantial in quantity, which I wasn't expecting in a place like this.

All in all, it was better than I was expecting even, after reading the reviews.
  • Post #10 - September 17th, 2022, 6:34 pm
    Post #10 - September 17th, 2022, 6:34 pm Post #10 - September 17th, 2022, 6:34 pm
    I should try Basant. A few weeks ago I went to a "Modern Indian" restaurant in Milwaukee and it was terrific. And almost all of the dishes were ones that I had never heard of, or heard of in the context of other cuisines (e.g. crab cakes). All had distinctive Indian spins on the flavorings, yet nothing was particularly familiar at all. Hoping for similarly favorable vibes from Basant.
  • Post #11 - May 15th, 2023, 8:30 am
    Post #11 - May 15th, 2023, 8:30 am Post #11 - May 15th, 2023, 8:30 am
    Shame on me for waiting so long to make the 10 minute walk from my house to get to Basant. We tried six things and it was one hit after another, three of which really stood out: the Chettinad Fried Chicken; Nargisi Kofta (think giant Scotch egg with lamb) with a phenomenal korma sauce; and the fish basant. The salmon in the basant was cooked perfectly but what really made that dish special was the sauce, which is grossly undersold as merely "a spicy tomato-based sauce." I'm not sure what's in it other than a mess of caramelized onions and a whole bunch of spices, but I'd be ecstatic with an entire meal with nothing but that sauce and some rice.
  • Post #12 - October 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm
    Post #12 - October 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm Post #12 - October 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm
    Finally made our first trip to Basant and our dinner experience was in line with the praises sung in these comments. Fish Basant (described above) was a real winner but the star of the show may have been the sauce in the Chicken Malai Cilantro appetizer. We didn't allow them to take the bowl away until we'd sopped up every last bit using the lacha parantha we'd ordered alongside our entrees.

But the real reason for this comment is to note that the celebrated fish & chips were nowhere to be found on the menu. Thinking this to be an oversight, we inquired with our server -- who had no recollection of fish and chips ever being served there. Contemplating the possibility that I'd gone insane, I confirmed on my phone that the fish & chips had been lauded by both Eater and Time Out, and showed our perplexed server those articles when she returned.

Finally, towards the end of the night she came back with an update - the fish & chips were "seasonal" and would be returning to the menu again in the months ahead. A curious choice for a restaurant whose only notable PR triumph was getting that dish on a couple of major "best in Chicago" lists, but all-in-all I should be grateful they weren't there because otherwise we'd have skipped the indulgent Malai Cilantro.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more