60th birthday fabulous restaurant around $100/pp
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • 60th birthday fabulous restaurant around $100/pp

Post #1 - June 24th, 2022, 9:33 pm
    Post #1 - June 24th, 2022, 9:33 pm Post #1 - June 24th, 2022, 9:33 pm
    Does this unicorn exist in chicago?
  • Post #2 - June 25th, 2022, 7:45 am
    Post #2 - June 25th, 2022, 7:45 am Post #2 - June 25th, 2022, 7:45 am
    Happy Birthday! It's certainly doable, it would be helpful to provide more information so we can tailor answers to your wishes. What are some of your favorite places? What does "fabulous" means to you? How many people, and are you looking for a private room or just a table? Indoor or outdoor dining? Is $100 with food, drinks, tax, and tip? Neighborhood preferences?
  • Post #3 - June 26th, 2022, 3:24 pm
    Post #3 - June 26th, 2022, 3:24 pm Post #3 - June 26th, 2022, 3:24 pm
    Thank you, Smassy, I suddenly feel very old!

Favorite places among the group include in the city Sepia, Bavette’s, Joe’s; in the burbs we like DiPescara, Wildfire, that sort of thing. I wanted to try Brindille, North Pond, Lyra. So our location is pretty much loop to north shore, no objection to W Randolph if valet available.

Fabulous means really great food (good value even if pricey)…decor less important but decent service. Brother typically brings wine so a reasonable corkage fee or byo. 6 people, one with gluten sensitivity but not allergy, one is quasi kosher (don’t ask).

Indoor or out is fine, no private room necessary. Food bill and maybe 1 cocktail for the $100, tip extra ok. As I said my brother typically brings wine but if not I’d say that’s on top of the food bill.

We are meat eaters, seafood as well. Someplace not extremely loud (at least where we can hear each other speak). Dress code nicer than jeans ok but definitely no jacket requirement.

I look forward to your suggestions, thanks!
  • Post #4 - June 26th, 2022, 3:46 pm
    Post #4 - June 26th, 2022, 3:46 pm Post #4 - June 26th, 2022, 3:46 pm
    I have only had take out food from this restaurant, so I can't speak to the volume/ambiance, but Galit could work for your group. $74 dollars a person for a four course meal and with your group's size you could probably try everything on the menu if you wanted. It's high on my to try in person list; figured I'd pass it on.
  • Post #5 - June 26th, 2022, 4:04 pm
    Post #5 - June 26th, 2022, 4:04 pm Post #5 - June 26th, 2022, 4:04 pm
    Northcenter Joe wrote:I have only had take out food from this restaurant, so I can't speak to the volume/ambiance, but Galit could work for your group. $74 dollars a person for a four course meal and with your group's size you could probably try everything on the menu if you wanted. It's high on my to try in person list; figured I'd pass it on.

Good call, I think. I have only eaten there in person and not since the 'before times' (so take this for fwiw) but the meals we had there were spectacular, some of the best I had in 2019 and early 2020. Based on those experiences, I wouldn't hesitate to return, especially for a special dinner.

Main thread here >> Galit: Israeli in Lincoln Park

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - June 26th, 2022, 4:13 pm
    Post #6 - June 26th, 2022, 4:13 pm Post #6 - June 26th, 2022, 4:13 pm
    Galit is a good choice.

Additionally I'll throw out Wherewithall. At $85/head tasting menu I consider it a great value.

https://www.wherewithallchi.com/
  • Post #7 - June 26th, 2022, 10:55 pm
    Post #7 - June 26th, 2022, 10:55 pm Post #7 - June 26th, 2022, 10:55 pm
    All good, keep them coming please!

Anyone know Trivoli Tavern?
  • Post #8 - July 4th, 2022, 12:41 pm
    Post #8 - July 4th, 2022, 12:41 pm Post #8 - July 4th, 2022, 12:41 pm
    What day of the week?

The reason I ask is that I have two suggestions that are sort of day-specific.

First, Oceanique in Evanston. It hits all of your points - fabulous seafood-focused food, not too loud, can keep it under $100, etc. Based on what you've mentioned, it might be even better if you can go on a Thursday when there's no corkage fee. It's been around for years, and it's still wonderful.

Second, you mentioned North Pond, which is also wonderful, not too loud, etc. Dinner won't fit in your budget, but they do a terrific Sunday brunch with a three-course prix fixe menu (multiple choices for each course) for $49. The dishes on the brunch menu are not brunch-ish, are much more dinner-like (don't look for omelets etc). And of course the setting in the middle of Lincoln Park - the park itself, not the adjacent neighborhood which is named after the park - is exquisite, even more so in the daytime.
  • Post #9 - July 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm
    Post #9 - July 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm Post #9 - July 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:What day of the week?

The reason I ask is that I have two suggestions that are sort of day-specific.

First, Oceanique in Evanston. It hits all of your points - fabulous seafood-focused food, not too loud, can keep it under $100, etc. Based on what you've mentioned, it might be even better if you can go on a Thursday when there's no corkage fee. It's been around for years, and it's still wonderful.

Second, you mentioned North Pond, which is also wonderful, not too loud, etc. Dinner won't fit in your budget, but they do a terrific Sunday brunch with a three-course prix fixe menu (multiple choices for each course) for $49. The dishes on the brunch menu are not brunch-ish, are much more dinner-like (don't look for omelets etc). And of course the setting in the middle of Lincoln Park - the park itself, not the adjacent neighborhood which is named after the park - is exquisite, even more so in the daytime.

Thanks for both bits of info. Unfortunately everyone’s schedules are such that weeknights are impossible and we will be gathering on Saturday. Made a reservation to Chez Joel, which I know has been around forever but none of us have been to. Hopefully not too loud.

My brother is accustomed to corkage fees, he said Bavette’s used to have no fee if you shared a glass of your wine with another table and he always offers the sommelier as well.
  • Post #10 - July 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm
    Post #10 - July 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm Post #10 - July 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm
    sujormik wrote:quasi kosher !

No pork except ribs and bacon.
  • Post #11 - July 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    Post #11 - July 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm Post #11 - July 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    In On Thai would be my #1 choice. You don't have to spend anywhere near $100 a person (as that would be difficult to impossible) and you could make an 8 to 10 course meal there fit for a king. It's also byob only.

Probably not the ambience that you are looking for but it would be a meal fit for a king.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more