LTH Home

Qahwah House, Yemeni coffee/pastries, Lombard

Qahwah House, Yemeni coffee/pastries, Lombard
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Qahwah House, Yemeni coffee/pastries, Lombard

Post #1 - July 15th, 2022, 1:08 pm
    Post #1 - July 15th, 2022, 1:08 pm Post #1 - July 15th, 2022, 1:08 pm
    Last year we went to Qahwah House in Dearborn, MI and had a great experience so were totally thrilled that they opened another spot in Lombard! While their coffees and teas are delicious (lots of options with cardamom, clove, ginger, etc), we are most attracted to their pastries, which I dream about. There are many regular pastries and cakes but the two standouts are the traditional yemeni options. One is Sabaya, layers of filo-like pastry and cheese, served warm and drizzled in honey. The other, my personal favorite, is Khaliat Al Nahl, a wonderous honeycomb of small balls of bready dough wrapped around creamy cheese. It's made in a giant round and served warm in individual wedges, again drizzled in honey. We made the mistake of only ordering one to share as we just stopped in for a snack and nearly came to blows when finishing it. It's a hike to get to Lombard for us but we're going to use every excuse possible to get there. And the owners are unbelievably nice. We happened to go on Eid and we didn't know they were closed until 3:30. We got there at 2:30 and they had just shown up to set up and let us in when they saw us reading the sign on the door. They were so welcoming (we felt terrible putting the extra stress on them) and were happy to serve us.

I tried to attach photos but the site apparently isn't working for that right now. I'll add later if it's working but there are plenty on yelp, etc.

Qahwah House
    406 Roosevelt Road, Lombard
    https://www.qahwahhouse.com/home (note, the location in Lombard doesn't show up on this link for ordering)
  • Post #2 - July 17th, 2022, 8:00 pm
    Post #2 - July 17th, 2022, 8:00 pm Post #2 - July 17th, 2022, 8:00 pm
    I'm so glad you posted this - I'm pretty close to this location and I suffer from the "I don't know what any of these things are" anxiety, and now I can go in with some minor element of confidence... :)
  • Post #3 - July 18th, 2022, 10:22 am
    Post #3 - July 18th, 2022, 10:22 am Post #3 - July 18th, 2022, 10:22 am
    bon2mic wrote:I tried to attach photos but the site apparently isn't working for that right now. I'll add later if it's working but there are plenty on yelp, etc.

Here are the pics you sent over for me to upload. Wow, does that look good!

Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - December 30th, 2022, 5:49 am
    Post #4 - December 30th, 2022, 5:49 am Post #4 - December 30th, 2022, 5:49 am
    The immediate sights and sounds of Qahwah House, a Yemeni coffee spot in suburban Lombard, are unlike that of the typical American cafe. Ginormous silver kettles of coffee and chai are in clear view, brewing away, while the clinking of teacups and trays feels foreign, yet somehow familiar.
“People who want to experience something different will come,” says Ibrahim Alhasbani, the founder and owner of the coffee shop based in Dearborn, Michigan.
Alhasbani’s vision when he opened his first location in Dearborn in 2017 was to bring his homeland back to the forefront of coffee culture.
“We use coffee as a form of communication with people. If you go to someone’s house in Yemen, the first thing they give you is coffee — it’s a big deal. If someone doesn’t offer you coffee, there’s something wrong,” he says, with a laugh.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #5 - March 21st, 2024, 11:54 am
    Post #5 - March 21st, 2024, 11:54 am Post #5 - March 21st, 2024, 11:54 am
    While we've had a chance to try the Qahwah House in Lombard and its excellent pastries in the past, today we finally made our way to their "new" (as of July 2023) second location in Skokie. I had the adeni chai, which they said was their most popular beverage--Yemeni black tea, cardamom, nutmeg, and milk. It was sweet and delicious. We also split a khaliat al nahl--honeycomb cheese bread served hot, with a side of honey; this was also really good, though its richness meant half a portion sufficed for me. 

Probably because of Ramadan, the two of us single-handedly doubled the number of patrons (the other two were on their laptops). If you are looking for quiet and want to avoid crowds, this is the place to be (at least in the morning and afternoon--they stay open until 1am during the week, until 2am on the weekends, so the scene might be different after iftar).

Qahwah House - Skokie
    5238 W Touhy Ave
    Skokie, IL 60077
    (847) 305-1108

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide