LTH Home

Four Seasons Dumpling House

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Four Seasons Dumpling House

Post #1 - July 30th, 2022, 5:59 pm
    Post #1 - July 30th, 2022, 5:59 pm Post #1 - July 30th, 2022, 5:59 pm
    Marothisu posted about Four Seasons Dumpling House (in the space where the dear, departed Homestyle Taste used to be) in another thread and mentioned the unique smoked chicken, along with the high praise from his family for the Dongbei dishes. So I ordered for pick up on my way back to NWI from a run into the city and am very glad I did!

I tried the pork, shrimp & chive dumplings (served with black vinegar and a very good chili oil), tofu with preserved egg, sliced beef tendons & tripe in spicy sauce—all fantastic. The dumpling filling was really flavorful—you could taste all the components. And the smoked chicken dish was terrific—a whole smoked chicken, almost certainly marinated in spices and probably soy sauce before smoking.

Excited to try more of this menu.

P.S.: pro-tip—if you’re ordering online, don’t go to the Beyond Menu App/site that is their “website” link—the smoked chicken and a number of other dishes aren’t there. The Chowbus site has everything, a lot more pics and descriptions and had a 10% discount when i ordered today.

3205 S Halsted St
    312-265-0568
    https://www.chowbus.com/delivery/menu/Four%20Seasons%20Dumpling%20Chinese%20Restaurant/4697
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #2 - July 31st, 2022, 4:25 am
    Post #2 - July 31st, 2022, 4:25 am Post #2 - July 31st, 2022, 4:25 am
    Glad you enjoyed it. I am glad there is another Dongbei place in this space that has good food since Homestyle Taste left.

The chicken is called Goubangzi chicken (沟帮子烧鸡), from Goubangzi, China in Liaoning. It's about 30 miles from where my wife was born and spent the first 14 years of her life. Drinking some good quality lighter beer goes well with eating that chicken.

Here's a video showing how to make it. From what I remember, those are some traditional Chinese medicine ingredients that are in the liquid. I think they cook it in that first and then steam at the end with sugar in some liquid. No English subtitles but at least you can see it

https://youtu.be/gW89H-cePjA
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #3 - August 1st, 2022, 11:58 am
    Post #3 - August 1st, 2022, 11:58 am Post #3 - August 1st, 2022, 11:58 am
    I did delivery from this place during the depths of the pandemic and I recall it being rather mediocre, in particular the dumplings. Maybe we were hoping for the heir apparent to Homestyle Taste?

Right now our goto for Northern Chinese is Northern Taste, though I caveat you need to order right. Chowbus is pretty good if you go by ratings.

Anyways I foresee us trying Four Seasons again in the near future and I will report back.
  • Post #4 - August 4th, 2022, 6:55 am
    Post #4 - August 4th, 2022, 6:55 am Post #4 - August 4th, 2022, 6:55 am
    Be still my heart. The dish I've most missed (not knowing it was still available here) used to be called "colorful wide noodles" but is now named "four season clear noodle"
    Just terrific. Another fave, the preserved egg w/tofu also remains. Most of our dinner was very good. Not saying it's equal to my dearly departed Homestyle Taste (the lamb on bone w/cumin and smoked chicken were both very good but not transcendent) but look fwd to working my way thru the menu to find out. Very pleased to put this back in rotation.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #5 - August 4th, 2022, 1:21 pm
    Post #5 - August 4th, 2022, 1:21 pm Post #5 - August 4th, 2022, 1:21 pm
    I've only been there once, but thought the smoked pork pancakes were comparable to Homestyle. The dried tofu strips with napa cabbage was good, but nowhere near the quality of Homestyle.
  • Post #6 - August 4th, 2022, 2:35 pm
    Post #6 - August 4th, 2022, 2:35 pm Post #6 - August 4th, 2022, 2:35 pm
    Ordered the smk pork but they never brought it, and by the time I realized it everyone was full.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more