LTH Home

Khmai Cambodian Fine Dining - Chef Mona Sang

Khmai Cambodian Fine Dining - Chef Mona Sang
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Khmai Cambodian Fine Dining - Chef Mona Sang

Post #1 - August 18th, 2022, 10:43 am
    Post #1 - August 18th, 2022, 10:43 am Post #1 - August 18th, 2022, 10:43 am
    For an evening, it felt like 2019 again! After reading mentions of Khmai here (thanks bw!) and elsewhere, my interest was piqued, so I was pleased when one of my very earliest internet dining companions and photography mentor -- we're going on 20 years now! -- suggested we have dinner there together. Not only did we have a great meal, we even enjoyed an LTHer sighting, running into Kuhdo, who also seemed to be enjoying his meal. Definitely felt like the old days in a number of ways . . . old friends, other LTHers, way too much food on the table and me with my stupid, big-ass camera . . .

The room is big and comfortable. While there were only a few parties there during our meal, I suspect it's not going to stay that way for very long. Our server, Abriana, was great, answering all of our annoying questions, making recommendations, providing guidance, tending to us/checking on us frequently but Chef Sang served most of our dishes, explaining them in detail as she brought them to the table. It was clear that she was proud of them and with good reason. This was some delicious and soulful fare. Other than a couple of great meals I had at Phnom Penh in Cleveland, this isn't a cuisine with which I have any experience. There are definitely some similarities to Thai and Vietnamese, especially on the ingredient side, but the dishes we had stood on their own and delivered combinations of flavors and textures that were new to me . . .

Khmai Cambodian Fine Dining - 2043 W Howard St, Chicago

Mai's Eggrolls
    Stuffed with ground chicken, bean thread noodles and taro root.
    Ultra-crispy and delicious.

Chein Sach Chrouk
    Pork ribs marinated in sweet soy, shallots and red chili paste.
    Sticky, sweet, crispy outside and tender inside.

Bai Twako
    Traditional Cambodian sausage made with beef, Khmer spices, galaga (sic), lemongrass, garlic and lime leaf. There was nothing I didn't enjoy (or wouldn't order again) but for me, this was one of the stand-out dishes of the meal. It was meaty, sticky, unctuous and bursting with flavor. And the house-made pickles that accompanied it were spectacular. Chef Sang described the process of making this sausage with her mom, which takes them 2 weeks (dehydrating, stuffing by hand, drying, etc.). To me, it's worth every bit of that effort. I was just one of the best things I've eaten in a very long time.

Slab Morn Ang
    Wings marinated in Khmer spices, fried and tossed in sweet and spicy tamarind sauce.
    Gooey/crispy, sour and sweet.

Lod Cha
    Pan fried pin noodles tossed in Khmer sauce, topped with Chinese broccoli, sweet onion, roasted peanuts and a fried egg (missing in our serving :(). Per Abriana's suggestion, we opted to top this with Sach Koh (steak), which was a great choice.

Ang Tropp Dott
    Khmer marinated eggplants, grilled and stuffed with ground pork (or ground chicken), red onion, diced peppers and shallots. Topped with fresh herbs sweet chili tamarind sauce and crispy garlic. I loved the smoky char on the eggplant and the flavorful richness of the stuffing. Another top favorite of our meal.

Nyrom Sloek Chek
    Banana leaf, roasted chicken, bean sprout, carrots, cabbage and sweet peppers. Tossed with spicy chili fish sauce. Topped with fresh herbs and roasted peanuts. This reminded me a lot of the Vietnamese goi ga but definitely struck some flavor notes of its own.

All in all, a phenomenal meal that dazzled me and re-sparked my enthusiasm for dining out like few places have over the past couple of years. I'll be remembering it fondly for a long time to come . . . of course, I plan on going back soon and making some new memories, too.

Some additional notes: We asked about some idle chafing dishes in the back corner of the restaurant and Chef told us that she's hoping to initiate a Sunday brunch at some point soon but wants to get the kinks worked out first. As noted upthread, they have adjusted their hours and as such, at least for now, they're not planning on being open for lunch. While that's a minor bummer, this place is turning out some terrific food and will hopefully draw a sustainable -- and sustaining -- dinner crowd.

=R=

Khmai Cambodian Fine Dining
    2043 W Howard St
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (312) 626-7710

Khmai Menu - 22.0817 . . .

Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - August 19th, 2022, 10:39 am
    Post #2 - August 19th, 2022, 10:39 am Post #2 - August 19th, 2022, 10:39 am
    Wow. Great review.

Khmai does book private parties occasionally, particularly on weekends. It may be worth calling ahead to make sure they are open if you are going to go.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #3 - August 19th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    Post #3 - August 19th, 2022, 12:25 pm Post #3 - August 19th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    They need to hire you to make glamour shots of their food.
  • Post #4 - August 20th, 2022, 11:39 am
    Post #4 - August 20th, 2022, 11:39 am Post #4 - August 20th, 2022, 11:39 am
    bw77 wrote:Wow. Great review.

Thanks. It was your post that put it on my radar. When my friend suggested it, I was already very enthusiastic about trying it. I think he'd learned about it via social media.

lougord99 wrote:They need to hire you to make glamour shots of their food.

Thanks, Lou. Great food tends to shoot itself but if I didn't love what I ate at Khmai, I wouldn't have bothered posting any pics. Hopefully, they motivate people to give the place a try.

=R=
  • Post #5 - August 24th, 2022, 7:48 pm
    Post #5 - August 24th, 2022, 7:48 pm Post #5 - August 24th, 2022, 7:48 pm
    Eater has a substantial story on the background of Khmai and Mona Sang. Her story is quite impressive including escape from the Pol Pot regime.
  • Post #6 - August 25th, 2022, 10:16 am
    Post #6 - August 25th, 2022, 10:16 am Post #6 - August 25th, 2022, 10:16 am
    We were in again last evening and talked to the Chef a bit about the sauces.

There is a spicer chili sauce available by special request. It is a red chili sauce with very finely chopped garlic. You have to ask for it. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the sauce. I think a request for the spicy red chili sauce with finely chopped garlic would work. This is well worth asking for if you like a bit more heat.

Upon request we also received a separate small serving of the Prahok, which is the chunky fermented fish paste. This is used in stews and braises, but it is also wonderful as a condiment.
  • Post #7 - August 25th, 2022, 10:40 am
    Post #7 - August 25th, 2022, 10:40 am Post #7 - August 25th, 2022, 10:40 am
    Its very possible that the spicy red chili sauce is the same sauce shown in Ronnie's picture of the Lod Cha shown above.
  • Post #8 - August 25th, 2022, 11:23 am
    Post #8 - August 25th, 2022, 11:23 am Post #8 - August 25th, 2022, 11:23 am
    bw77 wrote:Its very possible that the spicy red chili sauce is the same sauce shown in Ronnie's picture of the Lod Cha shown above.

I believe it is. Chef Sang brought it out for us to try and it was excellent, beautifully balanced between spicy, tart, sweet and funky.

Regarding Chef Sang's background and incredible story (alluded to above by ekreider), we did have a related moment during our visit. As we were getting up to leave, there was only one other party in the restaurant and they were chatting casually with Chef Sang about the NFL. At that point I noticed (or confirmed) that Chef Sang was wearing a Packers ball cap. I'm not an NFL fan but I joined in and gently ribbed Chef about the cap, asking her how she ended up a Packers fan.

She explained that during her exodus to the U.S., one stop landed her and her family at a refugee camp, where, an NFL game featuring the Packers was being shown. It made a lasting, emotional impression on her. I don't want to put words in her mouth but the gist of it is that the moment -- and seeing how others there were joyfully reacting to the game -- was a significant one on her journey, giving her an initial glimpse life in the U.S. and making her realize that, perhaps, the worst was behind her. Culturally speaking, this was a uniquely American moment and an indication that she was truly on her way to something better. Now, years later, she remains a Packers fan. They were an integral part of that seminal moment and a enduring part of her memory of it.

=R=
  • Post #9 - November 1st, 2022, 1:41 pm
    Post #9 - November 1st, 2022, 1:41 pm Post #9 - November 1st, 2022, 1:41 pm
    Prior to our X-mas gathering here, I would love to try my hand at some Cambodian cooking. Does anyone know of any good web sites or You Tube channels that will lead beginners in the right directions ?
  • Post #10 - December 2nd, 2022, 8:37 am
    Post #10 - December 2nd, 2022, 8:37 am Post #10 - December 2nd, 2022, 8:37 am
    My personal opinions of the dishes from the LTH Holiday Party. This was my first exposure to Cambodian food, and they did a terrific job. As geography would suggest, the food is somewhat between Thai and Vietnamese, edging more toward the Viet subtlety in flavors but more toward the Thai in presentation. There are a couple items below which didn't win with me, which may have worked better in a small-group meal -- it's likely we stressed the kitchen a bit.

Passed Appetizers:
    Sach Koh Ang and Sach Morn Ang: Great flavorful meat skewers (beef and chicken), the first batch out was not as tasty as the last batch: the marinade was probably still seeping in. But that's a nice glaze. I think I liked the flavors on the chicken a little more than the beef, but it was really nicely cooked beef.
    Mai’s Eggrolls - delightfully crisp, that was taro root? very interesting

Seated Appetizers
    Slab Morn Ang - Very tasty wings, if a bit messy. I don't think I'll be trying these as a buffalo wing alternative at a party, but I'll want to eat them again.
    Prahok Ktiss - This one I felt was a bit of a fail: while tasty, the dip (conceptually similar to a Thai Nam Prik) was a little too loose and chunky and not really scoopable by any of the veg provided except for the cabbage. The flavors were good, but I felt like they were repeated in a couple other dishes.

1st Course (salad)
    Bok Lahong - similar but more subtle than the Thai Som Tom, I always like the crunch and tartness of a papaya salad. Definite win.
    Nom Kow - One of the stars of the night, similar to a Larb, great deep umami.

2nd Course (noodle)
    Nomba Chok - Except for the noodles sticking together making it very tough to take a reasonable serving, this was a joy, another star. For what was described as a fish broth, it was thick and rich and not at all fishy. A squeeze of lime really woke this dish up, amped up all the fragrances.

3rd Course (soup)
    Somlar Machu Kreoung - This sat culinarily somewhere between Vietnamese Pho and Indonesian Rendang. Luscious scents of star anise, I could have just done aromatherapy with a bowl of this all night. Wonderfully tender beef. Another star of the night.
    Kaw Ko - Very surprised to see this served with bread. Also very tasty, but for me overshadowed by the one above.

4th Course (main/rice)
    Bai Twako - Again, more subtle than similar Thai sausages, loved the pickled veg with it.
    Cha Tropp Dott Sach Chrouk - The flavors here were very similar to the Prahok Ktiss. I preferred this one over the dip.

Dessert
    Nom Ansom Chek - A bit of a fail: the rice was not completely cooked, there shouldn't be anything crunchy in sticky rice. Tasty though, and thankfully not too cooked-banana-flavored.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - December 2nd, 2022, 12:30 pm
    Post #11 - December 2nd, 2022, 12:30 pm Post #11 - December 2nd, 2022, 12:30 pm
    Splendid review, Joel. Great descriptions.

Only defense I'd suggest for the bit of crunch in the sticky rice is that it was 10pm and people were beginning to put their coats on. Even as people departed, they were still bring out trays. I suspect that on a normal night, they'd probably be better. As you noted, we did stress the kitchen a bit.

But so many splendid dishes and perfect tastes. And I have had Cambodian food before -- including in Cambodia -- and their offerings and your descriptions of them are perfect.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #12 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm
    Post #12 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm Post #12 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm
    Hi,

In the spirit of playing with leftovers, I brought home leftover rice, Bai Twako (sausage) and Nom Ansom Chek (sticky rice banana dessert). All these went into fried rice with the brief heating cooking the final bits of undercooked rice.

When the dinner was timed from 6 pm until 10 pm, I fully expected to leave by 9 pm. The delivery of dishes was paced such, we received dessert at about 10 pm. Not rushed by any sense and yet it was very conversational friendly.

Joel, you really helped put this dinner into context. Far better than I would have, which I do appreciate.

All is good!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #13 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:52 pm
    Post #13 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:52 pm Post #13 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:52 pm
    Also, Khmai's chefs just scored Eater Chicago's chef of the year
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - January 25th, 2023, 12:52 pm
    Post #14 - January 25th, 2023, 12:52 pm Post #14 - January 25th, 2023, 12:52 pm
    Hi friends - suggestions on how to get a reservation to Khmai?

Their website has a “Reserve Now” button that goes to the Yelp waitlist - their website also says Reservations Only. Great - so two weeks ago we got on the wait list before leaving our house to drive 30 min to the restaurant, only to be told on arrival that the Yelp waitlist is to wait to make a reservation for that night in case someone with a reservation cancels, which makes no sense but we left because they would not accept walk ins. I asked about how to make a reservation and they indicated calling was the best way. They mentioned frustration with the Yelp waitlist process and plans to cancel with Yelp and switch to Tock soon.

So a few days later, I called the restaurant during their stated business hours and got no answer. I left a message (as their voice mail suggests) with my info but they have not called me back.

A few days ago, I tried again. Again, no reply and left another voice message.

I recognize it’s a small restaurant. I recognize they continue to get amazing press (including today’s James Beard shortlist news) which creates strong demand. But how does one actually dine there?
  • Post #15 - January 25th, 2023, 1:14 pm
    Post #15 - January 25th, 2023, 1:14 pm Post #15 - January 25th, 2023, 1:14 pm
    bluepig wrote:Hi friends - suggestions on how to get a reservation to Khmai?

Their website has a “Reserve Now” button that goes to the Yelp waitlist - their website also says Reservations Only. Great - so two weeks ago we got on the wait list before leaving our house to drive 30 min to the restaurant, only to be told on arrival that the Yelp waitlist is to wait to make a reservation for that night in case someone with a reservation cancels, which makes no sense but we left because they would not accept walk ins. I asked about how to make a reservation and they indicated calling was the best way. They mentioned frustration with the Yelp waitlist process and plans to cancel with Yelp and switch to Tock soon.

So a few days later, I called the restaurant during their stated business hours and got no answer. I left a message (as their voice mail suggests) with my info but they have not called me back.

A few days ago, I tried again. Again, no reply and left another voice message.

I recognize it’s a small restaurant. I recognize they continue to get amazing press (including today’s James Beard shortlist news) which creates strong demand. But how does one actually dine there?

I'd suggest calling after 4pm or even a bit later in the day. If you've already done that, I don't know what else to suggest other than to keep trying. Normally, I'd avoid calling any place during service but some situations require exactly that. The flow of communication doesn't necessarily indicate availability (or lack thereof), so I think it's worth a few calls, even though you've clearly already taken that approach. Perhaps a message via social media would work (I presume they have a presence there).

=R=
  • Post #16 - January 25th, 2023, 3:00 pm
    Post #16 - January 25th, 2023, 3:00 pm Post #16 - January 25th, 2023, 3:00 pm
    On January 6 I was able to make a reservation via the Yelp system for Saturday, February 18th. I’m guessing that due to recent additional good press perhaps they are overwhelmed a bit.
  • Post #17 - January 25th, 2023, 5:25 pm
    Post #17 - January 25th, 2023, 5:25 pm Post #17 - January 25th, 2023, 5:25 pm
    When I ran into that Yelp dead end a couple of weeks ago I emailed them, got a prompt response and a confirmed reservation.
  • Post #18 - January 25th, 2023, 9:20 pm
    Post #18 - January 25th, 2023, 9:20 pm Post #18 - January 25th, 2023, 9:20 pm
    Update - I took the suggestion to email them and got a reply back from Chef Sang indicating they are finally now on Tock so booked an upcoming table. Hallelujah!

https://www.exploretock.com/khmaifinedi ... search_nav
  • Post #19 - October 3rd, 2023, 6:39 am
    Post #19 - October 3rd, 2023, 6:39 am Post #19 - October 3rd, 2023, 6:39 am
    Sounds like changes are coming.

Khmai Fine Dining wrote:As we’re getting closer to starting our new adventure….All this month we’re bringing back all your favorites and Khmer traditional! Don’t miss out this month to try all your favorites plus new ones! Life is always a journey, but a new one will always begin. Be on the look out as we will share our upcoming news! Thank you everyone for all your support
    No word on what the changes are but fans of the existing restaurant might want to head back this month. Note: Since this thread was last updated, they switched from Tock to OpenTable.
  • Post #20 - October 23rd, 2023, 12:07 pm
    Post #20 - October 23rd, 2023, 12:07 pm Post #20 - October 23rd, 2023, 12:07 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Sounds like changes are coming.

Per https://www.instagram.com/p/CyomOLyPC09/?hl=en "November 30 is going to be Khmai's last day here...follow us for our next journey next year."
  • Post #21 - October 23rd, 2023, 12:12 pm
    Post #21 - October 23rd, 2023, 12:12 pm Post #21 - October 23rd, 2023, 12:12 pm
    leepyswetr wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Sounds like changes are coming.

Per https://www.instagram.com/p/CyomOLyPC09/?hl=en "November 30 is going to be Khmai's last day here...follow us for our next journey next year."

When I was there last week our server leaked that they'd be moving soon. He was guarded about it, saying they were mulling a couple of options and that no lease had yet been signed. But he indicated that they planned to remain in Rogers Park.

=R=
  • Post #22 - November 2nd, 2023, 11:23 am
    Post #22 - November 2nd, 2023, 11:23 am Post #22 - November 2nd, 2023, 11:23 am
    It's more than just a rumor. Closing in November before move.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2023/10/31/23 ... ng-chicago

• Post #23 - November 2nd, 2023, 11:41 am
    Post #23 - November 2nd, 2023, 11:41 am Post #23 - November 2nd, 2023, 11:41 am
    Cynthia wrote:It's more than just a rumor. Closing in November before move.

It wasn’t a “rumor” before—the owner posted this info on their Instagram over a week ago, which was posted here as well (see above).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #24 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:48 pm
    Post #24 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:48 pm Post #24 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:48 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:

It wasn’t a “rumor” before—the owner posted this info on their Instagram over a week ago, which was posted here as well (see above).

Just responding to the comment in the previous post that a server "leaked" the info. That doesn't sound very official. But good to know that they're keeping us updated.

• Post #25 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Post #25 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:58 pm Post #25 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Cynthia wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:

Just responding to the comment in the previous post that a server "leaked" the info. That doesn't sound very official. But good to know that they're keeping us updated.

Haha - he was being coy about some of the specifics but did assure us that they were moving to a still-undetermined location. In any case, that was before the public announcement made by Mona.

=R=
  • Post #26 - November 30th, 2023, 2:58 pm
    Post #26 - November 30th, 2023, 2:58 pm Post #26 - November 30th, 2023, 2:58 pm
    Dined at Khmai last night for my first time, and was impressed. Almost everything on the menu except several 'small bites' was still available, and the kitchen was on point. By the time we left at 7:45, every table was occupied.

Service was extremely good, and our party liked that each entree was brought to the table as it was finished. The food was extraordinary, with a broad palate of flavors available. Especially interesting was a dish of braised beef in a relatively sweet and complex broth, and the fried whole snapper was perfectly prepared, with incredibly crisp skin, while retaining perfectly moist flesh.

We asked our hostess whether they knew where their new location would be, and she said that they know where they are moving to, but are not yet willing to announce the new address.

One aside - during the two hours our party was there, there were several solo diners partaking in the wonderful food. I get the sense that this restaurant is very friendly to solo diners, something I have recently come to appreciate.
  • Post #27 - February 2nd, 2024, 8:36 pm
    Post #27 - February 2nd, 2024, 8:36 pm Post #27 - February 2nd, 2024, 8:36 pm
    Four months after announcing plans to move Khmai Fine Dining, chef Mona Sang is ready to reveal the new location of her decorated Cambodian restaurant in Rogers Park.

A rare Chicago specialist in Khmer cuisine hailed as one of the 15 Best New Restaurants in America in 2022, the restaurant will reopen in April at 6580 N. Sheridan Road on the ground floor of the Hampton Inn.

https://chicago.eater.com/2024/2/2/2405 ... ogers-park
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more