LTH Home

Get Kracken

Get Kracken
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Get Kracken

Post #1 - September 25th, 2022, 8:34 pm
    Post #1 - September 25th, 2022, 8:34 pm Post #1 - September 25th, 2022, 8:34 pm
    There's been a bit of love on the opening and closing thread mentioning the owner of Kracken being the niece from the old Thai Room and that now the focus is sushi (there's Thai too). According to the thread the tom kha is supposed to be top rate, but I haven't tried.

We've been going for a couple yrs and have enjoyed their more than solid sushi, large patio and gracious service. But the dish I go back for ea time is the Kama (hamachi collar). Their version is as close to Happi Sushi circa 78 as I've had and stirs those memories. We know sushi on a Sunday night could be iffy but some sashimi, a couple hand rolls, and the tempura mushrooms were all on point.

In all, another enjoyable meal.

Kraken Sushi & Beyond
    4022 N. Western Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 681-0292
    https://www.krakenchicago.com/
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #2 - September 26th, 2022, 3:21 pm
    Post #2 - September 26th, 2022, 3:21 pm Post #2 - September 26th, 2022, 3:21 pm
    Agreed that Happi Sushi in the late 70's / early 80's ( Near Diversey and Sheffield ?? ) was an outstanding and cheap Sushi restaurant.
  • Post #3 - September 26th, 2022, 4:34 pm
    Post #3 - September 26th, 2022, 4:34 pm Post #3 - September 26th, 2022, 4:34 pm
    Happi Sushi was @ Clark and Newport across from Star Mkt. It was my intro to sushi and I made friends w/the itame, Jiro Iwata who got me a gig @ the upstairs lounge as drummer of a human kariokee trio doing Samurai war tunes and pop songs, followed by employee meal @ 3 am, which was often the kama mentioned. Decades later I went/stayed and worked w/Jiro and his family @ his izakya in Ichinomyia Japan for 4 mos, where it was on the menu as well, hence my devotion to the dish.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more