LTH Home

Taco Sublime [currently at Marz Brewing]

Taco Sublime [currently at Marz Brewing]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Taco Sublime [currently at Marz Brewing]

Post #1 - April 26th, 2023, 7:32 am
    Post #1 - April 26th, 2023, 7:32 am Post #1 - April 26th, 2023, 7:32 am
    Some of the best smash burgers in Chicago.
    Elite tacos.
    Above and beyond commitment to the community and social justice.

That's Taco Sublime, currently operating at Marz Brewery.

The pictures speak for themselves. Forget lacy edges, those are some downright crunchy bits. These are simple burgers, no bells or whistles. You can add an egg or bacon or guacamole but why cover up this kind of beef punch?

With taco in the name, it's no surprise that tacos is how they got started. Two things stand out. First is the cheese crust. The taco making process starts with a handful of chihuahua cheese on the griddle. Once that gets crisp on one side, they throw a tortilla on top, flip it, and then add the fillings. I only tried the carne asada, but if it's emblematic of the rest, then what you're getting here is some perfectly cooked and well seasoned meats and veggies. There are two salsas available, which I assume are homemade. If they're not, I'd like to know where I can buy the red one.

I will say that my cheese layer isn't as over the top as the ones I've seen on their Instagram and I think more definitely would have been better, but this was still a really fantastic taco.

Not just great food, but also an admirable mission. Per the Reader:
    Beginning in 2020, [Khaled] Simon and his partner Haley Pham, aka Taco Sublime, roamed the city in a converted ice cream truck named “La Baby,” feeding folks at transient encampments and teaming up with not-for-profit organizations to help distribute resources like clothing, tents, and vaccinations.

“Going where people needed us was fundamental to our understanding of what we needed to be able to do this daily and bring this dream into a reality,” says Simon. The dream is to build a Taco Sublime franchise empire that can offer a pathway for “rehabilitation and social reintegration through food service and culinary arts.”

You can read more about their mission in their own words here.

Taco Sublime (inside Marz Brewing)
    3630 S Iron St, Chicago
    (312) 619-9662
    www.tacosublime.org
  • Post #2 - April 26th, 2023, 9:02 am
    Post #2 - April 26th, 2023, 9:02 am Post #2 - April 26th, 2023, 9:02 am
    I'll second the tacos, they're pretty epic (and hefty, honestly one is decent and two is almost too much). I may stop in soon for the burger, saw some pics and it's pretty fantastic-looking.
  • Post #3 - June 5th, 2023, 6:47 am
    Post #3 - June 5th, 2023, 6:47 am Post #3 - June 5th, 2023, 6:47 am
    Back to Taco Sublime for another burger and, since the kitchen is apparently consistent, I'm now convinced they're serving one of the best in Chicago.

• Post #4 - June 5th, 2023, 7:14 am
    Post #4 - June 5th, 2023, 7:14 am Post #4 - June 5th, 2023, 7:14 am
    The sesame bun calls out to me.

Thanks for your burger survey today.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - June 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm
    Post #5 - June 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm Post #5 - June 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm
    Now that burger looks worth a special trip—in particular, I love the minimalist bun. Looks like it has a nice crust to stand up to a juicy burger without resembling (and tasting like) a foam pillow.

Thanks for the write up and photos!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more