LTH Home

Mindy's Bakery

Mindy's Bakery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mindy's Bakery

Post #1 - November 25th, 2023, 3:55 pm
    Post #1 - November 25th, 2023, 3:55 pm Post #1 - November 25th, 2023, 3:55 pm
    It should be no surprise that a bakery by Mindy Segal is consistently putting out top tier baked goods (sweet and savory) every day. This place is an absolute gem and I've been remiss about not posting about it here. The pie I had for Thanksgiving compelled me to start this thread.

The menu changes daily though there are some regular items. Other than special occasions like Thanksgiving pies, there are no pre-orders at all. There are two bakes a day, with the first round of item available when they open and a second round of goodies coming out starting around 10:30. And, of course, with food this good, things sell out. There's no seating and lines get long, especially on weekends. There's no seating.

Despite all of those issues, this place is absolutely worth the effort. Mindy Segal has been one of the best pastry chefs around for years and it's evident here.

Back to that Thanksgiving pie that inspired this thread:

The Turducken Pie (spiced pumpkin cheesecake and flourless chocolate cake topped with pecan caramel candy bar and toasted marshmallow in a brown butter graham cracker crust) was supposed to remain off limits until Thursday but had to be picked up on Wednesday. It was not realistic to expect me to hold off. It was pie shaped and probably cooked in a pie tin, but I wouldn't call it a pie. But I would call it absolutely phenomenal and would recommend everyone set up a calendar reminder to make sure they order one next year.

Mindy's Bakery
    mindysbakery.com
    1623 N Milwaukee Ave
    (773) 489-1747
  • Post #2 - November 26th, 2023, 12:07 pm
    Post #2 - November 26th, 2023, 12:07 pm Post #2 - November 26th, 2023, 12:07 pm
    In June, I posted information about my visit to Mindy's in the kouign amann topic (click here).

During that visit, I took photos of the exterior:
    and of the items on display:
  • Post #3 - November 26th, 2023, 2:45 pm
    Post #3 - November 26th, 2023, 2:45 pm Post #3 - November 26th, 2023, 2:45 pm
    We are also remiss in posting about Mindy's, despite frequenting it. Usually Sunday mornings, sometimes Saturdays, but pretty much every weekend we are in town, we visit the long line for these excellent treats, always getting a smattering of both sweet and savory. The textures are just sublime.
  • Post #4 - December 2nd, 2023, 9:58 am
    Post #4 - December 2nd, 2023, 9:58 am Post #4 - December 2nd, 2023, 9:58 am
    "The Turducken Pie (spiced pumpkin cheesecake and flourless chocolate cake topped with pecan caramel candy bar and toasted marshmallow in a brown butter graham cracker crust) "

Wow that is pure decadence, speaking of which.....from her website:

"**A DOSE OF DECADENCE**
    James Beard award-winning master chef Mindy Segal has created precisely dosed, decadently delicious artisanal edibles to delight your tastebuds and invigorate your soul. Each flavor highlights a distinct memory for Mindy’s culinary journey."

• Post #5 - December 12th, 2023, 9:11 pm
    Post #5 - December 12th, 2023, 9:11 pm Post #5 - December 12th, 2023, 9:11 pm
    ImageThe breakfast sandwich is a mainstay at Mindy's. It's not cooked to order so it's lukewarm, but that doesn't impact it's deliciousness.

ImageThis picture is deceiving because you can't see the pretty dough layers inside or the sugar platform on the bottom that shatters when you bite into it, but this is a top tier kouign-amann.

ImageI would have liked a little more sweetness and/or seasoning in this morning bun but I also did not have it as God intended - with a cup of coffee. Would happily eat it again.

ImageShirley’s Banana “Yum Yum” Coffee Cake is another winner as long as you like banana.

ImageMarbled Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Chocolate Halvah Cheesecake & Malted Muscovado Streusel. I didn't love this one but it's not the right flavor combo for me so I don't feel right knocking it. It could be a case of it's me, not Mindy.
  • Post #6 - May 2nd, 2024, 6:25 am
    Post #6 - May 2nd, 2024, 6:25 am Post #6 - May 2nd, 2024, 6:25 am
    Bo Durham is Mindy Segal’s right-hand man

https://chicagoreader.com/food-drink/bo ... ys-bakery/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #7 - May 29th, 2024, 3:10 pm
    Post #7 - May 29th, 2024, 3:10 pm Post #7 - May 29th, 2024, 3:10 pm
    How Mindy Segal built an empire of butter, sugar and weed

https://www.wbez.org/food-drink/2024/05 ... indy-segal
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About