LTH Home

Attagirl

Attagirl
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Attagirl

Post #1 - December 13th, 2023, 9:07 pm
    Post #1 - December 13th, 2023, 9:07 pm Post #1 - December 13th, 2023, 9:07 pm
    A nice writeup in Eater today reminded me that we didn't share about our recent visit to the newly opened Attagirl.

We are longtime regulars of Table, Donkey, & Stick, and enjoyed Cafe Marie Jeanne, so the news of this opening was very exciting and we booked a table as soon as convenient.

We were not disappointed!

Great oysters, really interesting cured and smoked items on the 3 fish plate, nice cheeses and accoutrements on the 3 cheese plate, and a crunchy vibrant salad got us started well. The entree portion of the menu is mostly "Frites" which is a teensy bit confusing since some of them are like, Eggplant Parm, and so one wonders whether this really comes atop fries? Reader, it does. The fries are almost shatteringly crisp, not as thick as steak fries but closer to them than to regular shoestring, pleasingly dark, and...a touch sweet in a somewhat weird way. Addictive! We enjoyed fried cod (also excellently crisp) and the roast duck (which was smokey smokey and a large portion / for 2 or more).

For now at least, seems like some nice happy hour pricing options on both drinks and food, which extend to less busy weeknights.

We'll be back.

2829 W Armitage

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/12/12/23 ... late-night
  • Post #2 - December 14th, 2023, 11:40 am
    Post #2 - December 14th, 2023, 11:40 am Post #2 - December 14th, 2023, 11:40 am
    As I understood it, the sweetness on the fries came from the gastrique at the bottom of the plate, and then subsequently also poured table-side over the top of the dish.
  • Post #3 - December 14th, 2023, 11:55 am
    Post #3 - December 14th, 2023, 11:55 am Post #3 - December 14th, 2023, 11:55 am
    chezbrad wrote:As I understood it, the sweetness on the fries came from the gastrique at the bottom of the plate, and then subsequently also poured table-side over the top of the dish.

Yeah that was the explanation for the duck, but it doesn't explain the fish fries, whose sweetness we definitely puzzled over.
  • Post #4 - December 14th, 2023, 3:09 pm
    Post #4 - December 14th, 2023, 3:09 pm Post #4 - December 14th, 2023, 3:09 pm
    annak wrote:
    chezbrad wrote:As I understood it, the sweetness on the fries came from the gastrique at the bottom of the plate, and then subsequently also poured table-side over the top of the dish.

Yeah that was the explanation for the duck, but it doesn't explain the fish fries, whose sweetness we definitely puzzled over.

The fries under the eggplant parm and/or cod tasted like this, too? Curious.

Whatever they are, whatever they are under, know this: they are incredible.
  • Post #5 - December 14th, 2023, 4:13 pm
    Post #5 - December 14th, 2023, 4:13 pm Post #5 - December 14th, 2023, 4:13 pm
    There's for sure the tiniest bit of sugar or something in the salt on the frites. I always thought it was just the gastrique but I had them with the burger this past weekend and the sweetness was still there.

As CMJ devotees, my wife and I were so excited to have the food again. Went on two consecutive Sundays and everything was as phenomenal as it used to be. The service at Attagirl is even better and the less-cramped space is a welcome change.

I also got the inside tip from our server that some other CMJ menu items will be returning once they feel like the restaurant is in full swing. This includes my beloved lamb sausage, the food that got me through 2020.
  • Post #6 - December 29th, 2023, 2:59 pm
    Post #6 - December 29th, 2023, 2:59 pm Post #6 - December 29th, 2023, 2:59 pm
    Per Michael Nagrant’s Substack today:

Last week some purveyors for atta girl! restaurant reported not getting their usual weekly orders from the restaurant kitchen. It turns out that’s because the opening executive chef Bunny had reportedly parted ways with the restaurant last week.

I reached out to atta girl! partner Matt Sussman and asked him what the succession plan was in Bunny’s absence. He said that the kitchen team includes various Cafe Marie Jeanne alums (Bunny’s former restaurant) and that menu development plans will essentially be the same as before.

As you know, my atta girl! experience was great and I even named the eggplant parm one of my best dishes of 2023. It will be heartening if the remaining team keeps this momentum in 2024.

Sussman could not comment specifically on the terms of the split as discussions about terms of Bunny’s ongoing involvement with the restaurant were still being wrapped up.

I reached out to Bunny for comment as well, but have not received anything. I’ll keep you posted as information rolls in.

We have a reservation on 1/20. Will report back.
  • Post #7 - January 20th, 2024, 9:57 pm
    Post #7 - January 20th, 2024, 9:57 pm Post #7 - January 20th, 2024, 9:57 pm
    So, very mixed bag tonight.

We arrived at our reservation time of 7:15pm. We were sat at a booth in the front windows. For Audrey and I it was so cold we kept our coats on the entire time we were there. Jonathan’s back was to the side brick wall and he was able to take his off.

We ordered wine and a mocktail for Audrey that they made a bit sweeter for her and she loved it.

Appetizer order was placed shortly thereafter- 3 oysters and a cheese plate.

We waited. And waited. And waited…. 45 minutes later we received the 3 oysters. They were delicious. 55 minutes after ordering we got the cheese plate which was fine but nothing special. At no point was the delay acknowledged by anyone.

While waiting we placed our entree orders. I wanted the mussels but was told that due to restaurant week they were unavailable. It was unclear whether they were out of stock or they were saving them for people who opted for the 3 course “restaurant week” special. Hard to believe that at 7:30 on a Saturday night they were out. Server directed me to the seafood pasta entree which was fine. Audrey LOVED her cheeseburger & frites. We all agreed the frites we excellent. Jonathan got the steak frites which he signed off on for medium rare. What he received was solidly rare. Half was so bloody he opted not to eat it. No check back from staff until we were nearly finished so we just let it go.

I left wishing we had gone to Table, Donkey & Stick. We may give it a few months and return. Or, not.
  • Post #8 - March 12th, 2024, 1:11 pm
    Post #8 - March 12th, 2024, 1:11 pm Post #8 - March 12th, 2024, 1:11 pm
    After a failed attempt to dine at Ludlow Liquors for the Monday Foodball with Dhuaan BBQ, my friend and I ended up at Atta Girl. Monday is all night happy hour -- lucky us! The happy hour martini was a smoky, dirty martini. They use some of the brine from the smoked olives that were also on the happy hour menu. I don't usually like smoky but I gave it a try anyway. It was fine. Didn't love the smoke. :lol: Happy hour includes oysters for $2 each and $15 burger/fries. We split both with more of the oysters going to me and more of the fries to my friend. The oysters were lovely -- have no idea what they were. We also enjoyed the smash burger and those fries were fantastic. I didn't get the sweetness anna mentioned upthread.

We don't get to that part of town often, so enjoyed our night at Atta Girl.
    -Mary
  • Post #9 - March 12th, 2024, 6:00 pm
    Post #9 - March 12th, 2024, 6:00 pm Post #9 - March 12th, 2024, 6:00 pm
    For the record I went a couple months ago and got the steak frites and was surprised by a strong sweetness in the fries as well. It was memorable (a good thing), but I could imagine it being a less than pleasant surprise for some. I'm hoping to go back and do the duck, the oysters, and the burger.
  • Post #10 - May 14th, 2024, 3:41 pm
    Post #10 - May 14th, 2024, 3:41 pm Post #10 - May 14th, 2024, 3:41 pm
    From their Instagram page on May 11:

Friends, we want to share the news that atta girl will hold its final service on Monday.

If you were unaware, opening partner Bunny left the project at the beginning of the year. We have been collaborating with our incoming executive chef and partner Madalyn Durrant for the last two months. Those conversations evolved from launching a new menu to imagining a whole new restaurant. We know that the vision we share with Madalyn deserves its own name.

We are grateful to everyone who contributed their passion and talents to the atta girl project and are pleased to keep our core team on board as we make this transition on a very quick timeline.

Thank you for all of your support of atta girl. We’d love to see you tonight, tomorrow at brunch or Monday for one more happy hour. We will have more to share in the coming days and many more happy hours to spend with you very soon. We can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on May 31st.
    -Mary
  • Post #11 - May 16th, 2024, 9:56 am
    Post #11 - May 16th, 2024, 9:56 am Post #11 - May 16th, 2024, 9:56 am
    Well, that's a huge bummer considering I never got to have that lamb sausage again
  • Post #12 - May 16th, 2024, 11:22 am
    Post #12 - May 16th, 2024, 11:22 am Post #12 - May 16th, 2024, 11:22 am
    From everything I read about what was going on there and heard from those who ate there, this place was doomed from the very beginning. Seemed like complete dysfunction. The news doesn't come as much of a surprise. :(

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more