LTH Home

Sri Siam - great Thai in the suburbs

Sri Siam - great Thai in the suburbs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sri Siam - great Thai in the suburbs

Post #1 - March 25th, 2024, 4:01 pm
    Post #1 - March 25th, 2024, 4:01 pm Post #1 - March 25th, 2024, 4:01 pm
    We have been going to Sri Siam for a year or two. It is good Thai in the suburbs without the drive to some of our favorites in the city. The food has sour and spice where needed. This is not your normal bland suburban Thai.

Some of our regular items are:
    A08 Tod Mun Pla - more basic but kids love these everywhere 
    YO2 Spicy Chicken Salad - spicy and sour
    Y10 Larb Salad - we have gotten this several different ways, with chicken, pork, beef feed . Getting with beef was a nice change from the normal way.
    N02 Pad See Ewe (Chicken) - great, our family non spicy/cool down dish 
    E09 Hot Chilli Basil (Chicken) - great
    H04 Spicy Catfish - great

Today we noticed a Thai menu on our way in, they called this the Sri Siam E-san menu. Menu is only in Thai. Off this menu, we got the Issan sausage and nam kao tod. The issan sausage is great. Be aware that it is spicy, you may not need the peppers provided. It also has vermicelli noodles in it, which I haven’t seen prepared this way before but it worked great. The Nan Kao Tod is similar to the one I have gotten at Rainbow in the past, which I think is awesome.

Sri Siam is a BYOB restaurant with no corkage fee.

If you are in the northern suburbs and looking for good Thai, give Sri Siam a try.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/C49AKkSPyok/

Sri Siam
    9253 Waukegan Rd
    Morton Grove, IL 60053
    https://www.facebook.com/srisiamrestaurant
  • Post #2 - March 26th, 2024, 7:31 am
    Post #2 - March 26th, 2024, 7:31 am Post #2 - March 26th, 2024, 7:31 am
    Good to know, thanks!
    We have been getting our Lao ‘kick’ from a Pop UP in SE Wis.
    SapSapEats.
    Alex, owner, did make a try at a traditional restaurant but that lasted about a year. Issan Sausage, great wings, ribeye, chicken Bahn Mai and others especially the sticky rice. The sit down dinners are not to be missed.
    Only problems is it’s now a Pop Up so very restricted times but they sell out constantly.
    -Richard
  • Post #3 - March 26th, 2024, 9:15 am
    Post #3 - March 26th, 2024, 9:15 am Post #3 - March 26th, 2024, 9:15 am
    How is the Kao Soy Curry at Sri Siam? Not many Thai places offer Kao Soy in all Chicago and suburbs.
  • Post #4 - March 26th, 2024, 9:19 am
    Post #4 - March 26th, 2024, 9:19 am Post #4 - March 26th, 2024, 9:19 am
    As an aside, the khao soi is excellent at Real Aithentic Thai on Irving Park Rd west of Forest Preserve Drive. Note they are closed for vacation until April 18th.
  • Post #5 - March 26th, 2024, 10:03 am
    Post #5 - March 26th, 2024, 10:03 am Post #5 - March 26th, 2024, 10:03 am
    polster wrote:How is the Kao Soy Curry at Sri Siam? Not many Thai places offer Kao Soy in all Chicago and suburbs.
    It was fine last time I had it a few years ago. I've been carrying out from this place intermittently for the last 10 years. The catfish is the pull for me because that's the only dish they do that others don't. Iirc, they threw me off because the tod mun were way too small little pieces and the moo ping was dried out. One can keep testing the three Thai places along this stretch of Waukegan Road (Sri, Lai Thai, Chef of Siam formerly Rosded Too) for years and never really develop a strong opinion on any of them. I'll give Sri my next try in case they found a groove.
  • Post #6 - March 26th, 2024, 2:59 pm
    Post #6 - March 26th, 2024, 2:59 pm Post #6 - March 26th, 2024, 2:59 pm
    polster wrote:How is the Kao Soy Curry at Sri Siam? Not many Thai places offer Kao Soy in all Chicago and suburbs.

Not sure, I really like it at Green Leaf on Western in Chicago.

I plan on trying the khao soy and pork neck on my next visit.
  • Post #7 - March 26th, 2024, 6:02 pm
    Post #7 - March 26th, 2024, 6:02 pm Post #7 - March 26th, 2024, 6:02 pm
    I haven't had the khao soi at Silli Kori for a few years but remember really liking it on my last visit.

Silli Kori
    2053 W Division
    Chicago, IL
    773-384-5352
  • Post #8 - March 27th, 2024, 4:57 pm
    Post #8 - March 27th, 2024, 4:57 pm Post #8 - March 27th, 2024, 4:57 pm
    deesher wrote:I haven't had the khao soi at Silli Kori for a few years but remember really liking it on my last visit.

Silli Kori
    2053 W Division
    Chicago, IL
    773-384-5352

They do a nice namsod as well.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #9 - April 27th, 2024, 6:45 pm
    Post #9 - April 27th, 2024, 6:45 pm Post #9 - April 27th, 2024, 6:45 pm
    Had a nice meal here earlier this week . . .

Sri Siam - 9253 Waukegan Rd, Morton Grove

Please forgive the high-contrast images that follow. We had bright sunlight pouring onto our table from a west-facing window and I'm just getting acquainted with my new phone's camera. On that note, I fully intended to grab a pic of the Thai menu but I effed that up, too. Next time.

Here's what we ordered . . .

Grilled Pork Neck (Thai menu)
    A bit muted in flavor and texture compared to Aroy's version but a nice dish.

Issan Sausage (Thai menu)
    Loved these and thought the moist texture here maybe surpassed some other versions I've had in the city. These were very well made, I thought.

Nam Kao Tod (Thai menu)
    For me, this ended up being the destination item. Definitely the best version I've had that wasn't from Spoon Thai and later, Rainbow Thai. If I can find and handful of other dishes at Sri that I enjoy as much as this one, I'll be there all the time.

Fermented Bambo (Thai menu)
    Similar in funkiness to the nor noom at Aroy but not quite the same (or at that level).

Pad Thai Tofu
    Perhaps it's a good sign that this conventional dish wasn't much of a highlight. It just felt out of balance -- lacking in richness and being too acidic.

Thai Wings
    A bit chewy and dry. Nice flavor but not an overwhelming success on the texture side.

Pak Ka Prao Pork (Holy Basil)
    Respectable version. I thought it was pretty nicely balanced between heat and sweet. I appreciated that the pork was (or at least appeared to be) hand-cut.

So, all in all good stuff and certainly great for the northern suburbs. For me, maybe lacking a bit of magic. It was similar to places I like (Aroy, Rainbow, Spoon and ATK back in the day) but maybe the recipes and the cooking here are not a perfect match for my palate. I'm not sure I'd drive up from the city to have this food but if I were in the mood for Thai and stuck in the burbs, this would be my first choice, and I wouldn't hesitate to stop in. In any case, large menu with plenty to explore . . . and just a short drive from the office. I'm looking forward to returning.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #10 - April 28th, 2024, 11:56 am
    Post #10 - April 28th, 2024, 11:56 am Post #10 - April 28th, 2024, 11:56 am
    Was going to wait until a second order before posting, but since Ronnie recommends, my order a couple weeks ago was better than I recalled prior Sri meals. Spicy basil duck requested extra spicy had a good heat and flavor. Tod mun was better than before, patties aren't nearly as small as they used to be.
  • Post #11 - May 22nd, 2024, 8:15 pm
    Post #11 - May 22nd, 2024, 8:15 pm Post #11 - May 22nd, 2024, 8:15 pm
    First but definitely not last meal here tonight.

Summer roll: nothing special, but plump and tasty, a good start.

Nam kao tod: subtle different from Rainbow's version, but delicious, the perfect combo of salt, sweet, crisp, squishy, funk, and fresh herbs.

Lime chicken (note we ordered lime shrimp but they messed up - they asked if we wanted them to redo, but we had it as is). This is similar in concept to Chinese mayonnaise shrimp aka honey walnut aka lemon, but with lime, a breading instead of a batter, and I think a little fish sauce to cut the sweetness. Each chunk was garnished with the creamy sauce and a tiny lime slice. Delicious but probably won't go on a regular rotation.

Note that the Thai menu table card is now English on one side, and it's labeled "Thai E-san Menu"
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - June 7th, 2024, 6:27 pm
    Post #12 - June 7th, 2024, 6:27 pm Post #12 - June 7th, 2024, 6:27 pm
    Sri keeping their momentum by joining the lineup at this weekend's Thai Festival. Ignore the headline as far as the fest's location. It's at Irving & Broadway, which isn't "North Center" under even the loosest interpretation.
    https://chicagoreader.com/food-drink/food-drink-feature/thai-festival-2024/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more