LTH Home

Kitchen House = Great Georgian Food in Wheeling

Kitchen House = Great Georgian Food in Wheeling
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kitchen House = Great Georgian Food in Wheeling

Post #1 - May 12th, 2024, 11:59 am
    Post #1 - May 12th, 2024, 11:59 am Post #1 - May 12th, 2024, 11:59 am
    Not to toot my own horn - but I will - I ate at this spot twice in one week. This was a major score in my book.

I noticed this restaurant several times while driving to/from Fresh Farms in Wheeling. Intrigued a couple of weeks ago, I peeked through the window (since it was closed) and saw the menu board. It looked interesting and I decided that the LTH North Lunch Group would be the guinea pigs.

We ate here last Thursday. Merle and I ate here last night. Both times, we were the only non-europeans in the restaurant. It's a nice looking spot. Not a lot of tables. I'm guessing based on the electronic gear set up along the back wall, that they have dancing later at night.

JoelF mentioned that this spot was a delicatessen in previous times. Googling around I came up with Shtram's Deli.

Last night, Merle and I made a meal out of Megrelian Khachapuri and baked pork ribs. Both were quite good. Though I thought the ribs were a bit pricy as it consisted of four ribs.

They don't have a website, but their menu (there's a photo of one on Yelp) consists of five soups, a dozen salads, six pies, six (I'm guessing skewers) of meats, and a bunch of other "hot meals." They also serve wine and liquor.

Perhaps the attendees from the LTHNLG gathering will chime in on what we ordered.

PSA = they add on a 4% "Convenience Fee" to the check. Menu mentions a 20% gratuity added to parties of 5 or more.

Kitchen House Cafe
    341 E Dundee Rd. (Riverside Plaza Shopping Center)
    Wheeling, IL 60090
    (917) 689-5738
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/kitchen-house-cafe-wheeling
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - May 12th, 2024, 10:57 pm
    Post #2 - May 12th, 2024, 10:57 pm Post #2 - May 12th, 2024, 10:57 pm
    I definitely enjoyed this spot -- and thank you again, Dave148, for arranging the luncheon.

I enjoyed everything, but serious favorites were chkmeruli (chicken drenched in chkmeruli, a rich, garlicky cream sauce) and adjarian khachapuri ("boat" of crusty bread filled with cheese, butter, and an egg--which we ordered cooked, though raw is also offered). But everything was good -- dumplings, pkhali (described as salad balls, this were about the size of a small brie here, though I've seen them smaller -- but ground veg, garlic, and walnuts --considered a salad).

Definitely lots more stuff on the menu I want to try. (Plus a few things I don't want to try, such as the hear, liver, and onion salad. For those of you who pursue offal.)

So I agree with Dave 148--worth a visit.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #3 - May 13th, 2024, 9:34 am
    Post #3 - May 13th, 2024, 9:34 am Post #3 - May 13th, 2024, 9:34 am
    as a tangent, anecdotally seems there are a lot of Georgian restaurants opening in the past several years in the wheeling/buffalo grove area... is there a sociological reason for that?
  • Post #4 - May 13th, 2024, 5:16 pm
    Post #4 - May 13th, 2024, 5:16 pm Post #4 - May 13th, 2024, 5:16 pm
    dudefella wrote:as a tangent, anecdotally seems there are a lot of Georgian restaurants opening in the past several years in the wheeling/buffalo grove area... is there a sociological reason for that?

Given that a Belarusian restaurant recently opened in Wheeling, and there is a Polish grocery store (KD Market), and Fresh Farms in Wheeling leans very heavily Russian/Eastern Europe, that is a reasonable guess. So I looked up demographic date for Wheeling, and while everyone gets lumped into "white" for ethnicity, the report shows that 5.4% of Wheeling residents speak Russian, 4.5 % speak Ukrainian, 7.4% speak Polish, and another couple of percentage points are taken up by other Eastern European countries, so definitely enough to have an impact on the dining scene.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more