LTH Home

Smash Sandwich Cafe

Smash Sandwich Cafe
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Smash Sandwich Cafe

Post #1 - May 13th, 2024, 3:50 pm
    Post #1 - May 13th, 2024, 3:50 pm Post #1 - May 13th, 2024, 3:50 pm
    Smash Sandwich Cafe is a new restaurant on the Evanston/Chicago border. The Evanston Lunch Group™ had lunch here today. The sandwiches were delicious. And they were generous with the protein portion sizes, which is sometimes the downfall of some other sandwich places. They were also rather sloppy to eat (warm and gooey), so keep that in mind when deciding whether to dine in or to bring them home to eat. (It wasn't an ideal place for a big group to dine in and share the sandwiches, but most folks wouldn't be doing that there.)

I took photos but the sandwiches, when whole, looked pretty similar. I took a side view of only one sandwich; if I were to do it over, I would have done that with all of them. My apologies.

Here's what we had at our lunch today:

Michigan Avenue (Langlade Street) - Local Sour Dough Bread Sliced Brisket out of Detroit, MI, nine months Aged Blue Cheese, Roasted Red Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes, Spinach, and our House Horsey Sauce! Smashed to Perfection!
    Howard Street Grill - Pesto Cream Cheese, Cheddar, Provolone, Beef Brisket from Detroit Michigan, Spinach, Tomato, House Spicy Pickle Relish
    Wrigley Field (Mackinaw) - The Best Roasted Turkey is sliced thin between local fresh baked sourdough and smashed with cheddar and provolone cheese and then topped with Spinach, Tomato, Walnuts, Dried Cherries, and House Honey Mayo.
    Korean BBQ Chicken Smash - House-made Korean BBQ marinated Chicken and Provolone Cheese, topped with Creamy Lime Jalapeno Coleslaw and drizzled with our House Korean BBQ SAUCE!

Smash Sandwich Café
    7555 N California Ave*
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (906) 221-2496
    smashsandwiches.com
  • Post #2 - May 13th, 2024, 4:10 pm
    Post #2 - May 13th, 2024, 4:10 pm Post #2 - May 13th, 2024, 4:10 pm
    For me, the only one not as good as the others was the turkey. I liked them all.
  • Post #3 - May 13th, 2024, 9:21 pm
    Post #3 - May 13th, 2024, 9:21 pm Post #3 - May 13th, 2024, 9:21 pm
    Agreed. Tasty, messy, not great for groups, but for a single sandwich or two, pretty good. And I hate to sound like such a suburbanite, but parking at the former bank branch was easy.
  • Post #4 - May 14th, 2024, 8:37 am
    Post #4 - May 14th, 2024, 8:37 am Post #4 - May 14th, 2024, 8:37 am
    Our group of 13 was more than the Cafe could handle easily, so service was less than ideal, but that shouldn't be a problem for smaller groups.

The sandwiches were tasty, particularly the Korean BBQ and the Brisket, but because they were so messy, they tended to fall apart which decreased the pleasure in eating them.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #5 - May 14th, 2024, 8:58 am
    Post #5 - May 14th, 2024, 8:58 am Post #5 - May 14th, 2024, 8:58 am
    One note about the messy aspect: The sandwiches were available hot or cold. We ordered them all hot. When cold, the sandwiches might hold together better.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more