LTH Home

Chicago's best chicken wings...

Chicago's best chicken wings...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - January 31st, 2018, 2:45 pm
    Post #211 - January 31st, 2018, 2:45 pm Post #211 - January 31st, 2018, 2:45 pm
    IMHO the two best places by far for "classic" wings around Chicago are Crosstown Pub & Grill in Naperville and Franks for the Memories in Mundelein.

    For better or worse, I don't find myself in those areas nearly as much as I used to. Jake Melnick's grilled "Ponchos" wings are pretty tasty, but that place can get pricey due to the location.

    Cheers,

    Chico
  • Post #212 - January 31st, 2018, 3:02 pm
    Post #212 - January 31st, 2018, 3:02 pm Post #212 - January 31st, 2018, 3:02 pm
    misterchico wrote:IMHO the two best places by far for "classic" wings around Chicago are Crosstown Pub & Grill in Naperville and Franks for the Memories in Mundelein.

    ...
    On the latter, couldn't agree more. Esteemed Coordinator? An LTH North lunch at Franks for the Memories? Or better yet (Franks is not the greatest for ambience), an LTH North happy hour, for a change, so we can take our wings to one of the local brewpubs, Bosaki's, across the street, or Tighthead, a few blocks away, and watch a game?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #213 - February 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm
    Post #213 - February 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm Post #213 - February 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:http://www.whyberwyn.com/featured/calling-all-wing-lovers-voting-is-now-open-for-berwyns-best-chicken-wings/

    Just Berwyn but there are some good places in the mix.

    Down to the final 5 on Tuesday.

    Final 5

    http://www.whyberwyn.com/shop-berwyn/be ... t-contest/

    Going to visit them all Saturday afternoon

    Paisans Pizzeria & Bar
    6226 Ogden Ave, Berwyn
    http://www.paisanspizza.com/

    8B8E0990-1596-43A1-BB93-4FD5049E4AF2.jpeg

    ... got my vote edging out the favorite...

    Cigars and Stripes BBQ Lounge
    6715 Ogden Ave, Berwyn
    http://www.stripesbbq.com/
    ... with C&S smoked wings and awesome sauces.

    84C49BCE-267A-4290-9D2B-BC02FF4FC268.jpeg

    A2393F2B-C6F1-44E1-B9D0-B6826D295816.jpeg

    At Paisans, the manager mentioned their Dragon Sauce was a mistake made in the kitchen when staff mixed sweet and sour sauce with their hot wing sauce.

    Nice big wings, good price point ($1.25 per), cooked perfectly, and the sauce had a nice hit of spicyness at the end. Only complaint, just one spear of carrot and celery?

    Just a mile outside of the Chicago border and well worth the long trip. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #214 - February 1st, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Post #214 - February 1st, 2018, 2:09 pm Post #214 - February 1st, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Just a comment on pricing, two places that were mostly carry out were priced at $1 a wing, the other 3 were sit down restaurants and were priced at $1.25 (2) and $1.50.

    All places did have a day with special discounted pricing.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #215 - February 28th, 2018, 11:18 am
    Post #215 - February 28th, 2018, 11:18 am Post #215 - February 28th, 2018, 11:18 am
    Thanks for the tip on Frank's for the Memories. I grew up around there and have recently returned to the area (a bit south). Will have to try their offering soon.

    My last trip for buffalo wings took me to Gator's and found they are best consumed on site as they do not travel well being loaded with sauce. On a recent lunch visit, the wings arrived piping hot from the kitchen and very wet. Not saying this is a terrible thing, but the wings towards the end of my meal were soggier than at start. Regardless, I enjoyed my meal and felt the quality of the chicken was solid, but larger than I usually prefer my wings. For my next order, I would like to try their wings dry with sauce on the side (and will likely result in an up-charge from what I've read here).

    Gator's offers coupons on their website but they also have an $8.99 lunch menu during the week. I believe it was 10 wings with choice of sauce at this price point. My Peroni, however, cost $6. Coupons are not valid with lunch specials.

    Also, I thought it appropriate to post a relevant link to the topic:

    A solid collection of images of wings

    Edited to correct link... thanks PITD
    Last edited by MeatPie on February 28th, 2018, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #216 - February 28th, 2018, 11:26 am
    Post #216 - February 28th, 2018, 11:26 am Post #216 - February 28th, 2018, 11:26 am
    MeatPie wrote:Also, I thought it appropriate to post a relevant link to the topic:

    A solid collection of images of wings

    ... when clicking on the link on my IPhone...
    an error occurred while processing this directive


    Correct link should be...

    http://www.greasefreak.com/wings.html
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #217 - March 1st, 2018, 5:10 am
    Post #217 - March 1st, 2018, 5:10 am Post #217 - March 1st, 2018, 5:10 am
    I’ve had the opportunity to try Gators a couple times , on some of my last visits. Definitely very saucy wings, but I’d rather have that than getting an order where only half the wings actually seem to have any sauce on them. Bonus for their jalapeño sauces actually having chopped jalapeño in them.
  • Post #218 - March 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am
    Post #218 - March 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am Post #218 - March 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am
    MeatPie wrote:Thanks for the tip on Frank's for the Memories. I grew up around there and have recently returned to the area (a bit south). Will have to try their offering soon.

    My last trip for buffalo wings took me to Gator's and found they are best consumed on site as they do not travel well being loaded with sauce. On a recent lunch visit, the wings arrived piping hot from the kitchen and very wet. Not saying this is a terrible thing, but the wings towards the end of my meal were soggier than at start. Regardless, I enjoyed my meal and felt the quality of the chicken was solid, but larger than I usually prefer my wings. For my next order, I would like to try their wings dry with sauce on the side (and will likely result in an up-charge from what I've read here).

    Gator's offers coupons on their website but they also have an $8.99 lunch menu during the week. I believe it was 10 wings with choice of sauce at this price point. My Peroni, however, cost $6. Coupons are not valid with lunch specials.

    Also, I thought it appropriate to post a relevant link to the topic:

    A solid collection of images of wings

    Edited to correct link... thanks PITD


    I don't trust someone who gives positive ratings to Commonwealth, Riverview, Ranalli's, Big City Tap, Kincade's, Mcgee's, and 1 star to Toon's.
  • Post #219 - March 2nd, 2018, 9:47 am
    Post #219 - March 2nd, 2018, 9:47 am Post #219 - March 2nd, 2018, 9:47 am
    I don't think they're the best but Village Tap in Roscoe Village is a good contender and they're similar enough to buffalo that it scratches that itch while still being unique.
  • Post #220 - March 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm
    Post #220 - March 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm Post #220 - March 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm
    Hands down my favorite I've had here in Chicago can be found at Jake Melnick's. I dream about them.

    Jake's gives you the choice of 9 different sauces (buffalo, bbq, super hot, xxx, pb&j, poncho's, firecracker, nashville hot, and a monthly rotating sauce). They are crispy and meaty and juicy and they've now become my golden standard.

    20170905_122635.jpg Jake's jumbo wings with Firecracker sauce (sweet thai chili & sriracha)


    Jake Melnick's Corner Tap
    41 E Superior St
    Chicago, IL 60611
  • Post #221 - March 3rd, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Post #221 - March 3rd, 2018, 2:09 pm Post #221 - March 3rd, 2018, 2:09 pm
    csox wrote:I don't trust someone who gives positive ratings to Commonwealth, Riverview, Ranalli's, Big City Tap, Kincade's, Mcgee's, and 1 star to Toon's.

    That's why I only referenced the pictures. :wink:
  • Post #222 - June 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Post #222 - June 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm Post #222 - June 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Toons! It just doesn't get any better than this. I mean, when an order of wings has a presence attack . . . :wink:

    Image
    Buffalo Wings at Toons

    =R=

    Toons Bar & Grill
    3857 N Southport Ave
    Chicago, IL 60613
    (773) 935-1919
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #223 - June 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
    Post #223 - June 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm Post #223 - June 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
    I've been craving Output's lemon pepper wings since I had them again last Friday. Crispy, juicy, greasy deliciousness. Becoming my favorite wing in Chicago. It's pretty divey... but man those wings are great. I get the hot sauce and blue cheese on the side.


    Output Lounge
    1758 W Grand Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60622
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #224 - June 28th, 2018, 7:08 am
    Post #224 - June 28th, 2018, 7:08 am Post #224 - June 28th, 2018, 7:08 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Toons! It just doesn't get any better than this. I mean, when an order of wings has a presence attack . . . :wink:


    So are you saying their the Champions of all Wings?
  • Post #225 - June 28th, 2018, 2:53 pm
    Post #225 - June 28th, 2018, 2:53 pm Post #225 - June 28th, 2018, 2:53 pm
    Kid Charlemagne wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Toons! It just doesn't get any better than this. I mean, when an order of wings has a presence attack . . . :wink:


    So are you saying their the Champions of all Wings?

    There are just too many varieties and styles of wings out there to proclaim that but I wouldn't be sticking my neck out too far in saying that these wings from Toons are the best Buffalo wings in Chicagoland.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #226 - April 28th, 2021, 5:51 pm
    Post #226 - April 28th, 2021, 5:51 pm Post #226 - April 28th, 2021, 5:51 pm
    First came shortages of toilet paper and flour. Now, chicken wings are in short supply, forcing some restaurants to call off wing night specials and consider raising prices on the budget-friendly staple.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #227 - April 29th, 2021, 7:26 am
    Post #227 - April 29th, 2021, 7:26 am Post #227 - April 29th, 2021, 7:26 am
    Budget Friendly?? For the normal consumer they are 3 to 4 times what legs or thighs cost. I don't know why bars just didn't go to legs. Actually, wings would be a great economic lesson as they certainly explain supply and demand perfectly. Imagine an immigrant coming here going to the store and seeing wings at $2.99/lb and legs at .99/lb. They would think they are getting ripped.
  • Post #228 - April 29th, 2021, 8:12 am
    Post #228 - April 29th, 2021, 8:12 am Post #228 - April 29th, 2021, 8:12 am
    Puckjam wrote:I don't know why bars just didn't go to legs. Actually, wings would be a great economic lesson as they certainly explain supply and demand perfectly. Imagine an immigrant coming here going to the store and seeing wings at $2.99/lb and legs at .99/lb. They would think they are getting ripped.
    I agree on "budget-friendly staple" being a clear mischaracterization of wings. Really, ordering anything at a bar is usually more overpriced than you'd get at a casual takeout place, although some places do specialize in wings to make it worth it, eg Bird's Nest.

    But switching to another piece like legs just isn't practical at all. The skin-to-flesh ratio is too low on every other piece, reducing the role of the sauce. I never get boneless "wings" but an economic version of that processed meat used for nuggets, tenders, fingers, etc would match the buffalo/hot wing concept better than legs or thighs. The exception would be legs sourced from small chickens, but that would only come from a more expensive small-scale producer since the poultry industry is invested in antibiotics and other growth agents to make them larger than ever quicker than ever.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more