LTH Home

Ilidzanka Bosnian for Cevapcici [Pictures}

Ilidzanka Bosnian for Cevapcici [Pictures}
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 26th, 2006, 2:53 pm
    Post #61 - October 26th, 2006, 2:53 pm Post #61 - October 26th, 2006, 2:53 pm
    Antonius wrote:...It occurred to me I should go into Ilidzanka and see if I could get some there. The lady pictured above was there and she greeted me and my request to purchase lepina to take home in a most friendly way. She advised me that it had been baked the day before and offered to let me look it over. I said I was sure it would be fine (lepina does stay quite nice for a couple of days) and asked to buy two loaves. She said it would be two dollars and then added, "you buy two, I give three." And indeed, she gave me an extra loaf at no charge of very tasty and still nice and puffy lepina.

Josephine,

Way back when, when I visited, I received a most friendly reception and if I remember correctly, I was sporting my moustache and beard, as I do pretty much every day, so I'm not inclined to accept the sex-based theory at the moment.

Perhaps the lady there just liked my flowered hat...

J. Ensor
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #62 - October 26th, 2006, 6:49 pm
    Post #62 - October 26th, 2006, 6:49 pm Post #62 - October 26th, 2006, 6:49 pm
    Antonius wrote:Perhaps the lady there just liked my flowered hat...

So, Antonius, the hockey helmet is just for formal occasions?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #63 - June 18th, 2007, 6:33 pm
    Post #63 - June 18th, 2007, 6:33 pm Post #63 - June 18th, 2007, 6:33 pm
    While I was under-whelmed by cevapcici two years ago, since then, every once in a while I get a craving. My go-to place is probably based more on geography than quality, but I judge the quality as quite high.
    It is a spic and span store and deli / bakery but I have a serious language problem everytime I go. Still, they’ve always been friendly, and the Cev quite good.

Cevapcicic with ajvar, onions, and fluffy pita

The cev was first cooked on the flattop and then moved to the hardwood charcoal grill (I think.) I believe the cev and pita were made in house and are very good.

I’ve also taken home some stuffed red peppers that were good if too sweet for my taste.

I say again, I have serious language problems every time I go here, and I am happy enough to get what I want even if I’m not sure of what it is. I believe the place is Serbian and I think they have a sit down restaurant at 7021 W. Higgins. I hope someone with better knowledge and language skills enlightens us further.

Sandy’s Bakery and Deli
    5857 W. Lawrence
    773-794-1129

Sandy’s Restaurant
    7021 W. Higgins
    773-467-4700

-ramon
  • Post #64 - October 6th, 2007, 11:42 am
    Post #64 - October 6th, 2007, 11:42 am Post #64 - October 6th, 2007, 11:42 am
    Inspired d4v3’s fantastic report on Sandy’s Resturant, I recently returned to Sandy’s Bakery for cevapcicic on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

Having, of course, forgotten how to pronounce cev, I could only communicate my desire by pointing to the sign. I was no better at requesting some ajvar, finally retrieving a bottle from the front of the store. Three women in the store, and not one of them even seemed to understand even “yes” or “no.”

Knowing from past experience that these take a while to grill, I wondered the bakery with my camera and thought I’d share.

I’m fascinated by tinned meat products, well not actually eating them, just their existence:

I don’t believe this candy is politically correct, nor do I understand the symolism:

Being a bakery, they have lots of good looking sweets to choose from.

While I was waiting, at least ten other customers came in, all warmly greeted in their shared language. Almost all pointed to a chunk of meat (I assumed two different kinds of smoked-pork) behind glass that was whisked into the back to be hacked into more manageable hunks.

At one point I noticed that my food was complete and packaged but despite my attentive looks, the counter people continued to wait on those who came after me. They did not deliver my package to me until everyone else had been taken care of. When they finally indicated it was time to pay, I tried to ask questions about the other items, particularly the pork everyone was buying. I got nowhere. The place smelled so good, I wanted to buy some of everything, but it seems my time was done. I did not let that bother me on such a fine day.

Getting home, I found the cev to be as delicious as before, but I was quite disappointed by the bread. Rather than the glorious fluffy pita from before, this was overly thick and very dense. Surely a good piece of bread, but not for this application.

I saved these last two photos for last. B wanted me to save them for closer to Halloween, but I find the longer I delay a post, the less chance of my ever completing it. I wonder how you eat these?

I’d write more, but I’m afraid of sticking my foot in my mouth.

-ramon
  • Post #65 - October 6th, 2007, 12:32 pm
    Post #65 - October 6th, 2007, 12:32 pm Post #65 - October 6th, 2007, 12:32 pm
    Ramon wrote:While I was waiting, at least ten other customers came in, all warmly greeted in their shared language. Almost all pointed to a chunk of meat (I assumed two different kinds of smoked-pork) behind glass that was whisked into the back to be hacked into more manageable hunks.

The top sign says roast pork and the bottom says roast lamb.

Nice photos. I am a big fan of the blue Negro candy.

Funny, I experienced no language problems at Sandy's restaurant. In fact, I was amazed at our server's command of English, as she said she has only been in the US for 3 years.

For a less communication challenged visit to a Serbian deli, I recommend Lallich's Deli, about a mile east on Lawrence from Sandy's. Zoran Lalich speaks fluent English, and is more than happy to to educate customers about his house-made sausage and smoked meat creations. His bacon is incredible.

Lalich Delicatessens
    4208 W Lawrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60630
    (773) 545-3642

Lalich Delicatessens
    8133 N Milwaukee Ave
    Niles, IL 60714
    (847) 581-1120

Contact

About

Team

Advertize