• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - May 6th, 2019, 2:58 pm
    Post #31 - May 6th, 2019, 2:58 pm Post #31 - May 6th, 2019, 2:58 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:Sagil's Restaurant
    6814 W 87th St, Burbank
    (708) 598-0685

Small diner with some Lithuanian offerings.

Not bad!

Dang! Stopped by today with visions of Kuglis dancing in my head only to find out the restaurant had changed hands 4 months ago and has a new name and menu.

Asked if they still offer Lithuanian and got a flat "No". She tried to sooth me by mentioning they sometimes have pierogies and polish sausage as a special.

Pie Lady wrote:Is that still the case? Their FB suggests it's still Lithuanian.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/cafesmilga/ ... e_internal

Different restaurant.

Even though the title of the thread was Smilga it turned into a point of focus for all Lithuanian restaurants.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #32 - May 6th, 2019, 3:04 pm
    Post #32 - May 6th, 2019, 3:04 pm Post #32 - May 6th, 2019, 3:04 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Even though the title of the thread was Smilga it turned into a point of focus for all Lithuanian restaurants.

Ah, gotcha.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #33 - May 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm
    Post #33 - May 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm Post #33 - May 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm
    Looks like Sagil's in Burbank is closed. But Smilga in Darien seems to be the same, at least according to what I can find online. Similar names, but different joints.
  • Post #34 - October 10th, 2021, 10:24 am
    Post #34 - October 10th, 2021, 10:24 am Post #34 - October 10th, 2021, 10:24 am
    As a long time lurker of this forum, I'm happy to have my first post here.

Yesterday, I rode the Metra Heritage corridor's Saturday excursion trains to Lemont, in search of Eastern European treats. For dinner, I rode up Lemont road to Cafe Smilga, in Darien. I'm happy to report that the restaurant is still there, and doing brisk business. I started my meal with a half liter of Švyturys Ekstra, with Rye bread and butter. For the main course I ordered their combo of Cepelinas, Potato pancakes, and Koldūnai, figuring it would be a great foray in Lithuanian food. And how delicious it was! By the end I was stuffed and feeling like a king.

Smilga also has quite the grocery store, bakery & deli section in it, and I'd highly recommend it if you're looking to pick up any Lithuanian goods. I picked up frozen potato dumplings, and Lithuanian Potato Sausage (Vedarai).

If you find yourself closer to Lemont, and don't feel like heading up to Darien, I'll also recommend Celina's Fresh Market. While more Polish in nature, they do have a substantial Lithuanian section. I picked up Kugelis from the deli, Bacon Buns, and Lithuanian Rye Bread.

Cafe Smilga
    http://www.smilgabakery.com/
    2819 83rd St, Darien, IL 60561
    (630) 427-0929

Celina's Fresh Market
    https://www.celinasfreshmarket.com/
    14164 McCarthy Rd, Lemont, IL 60439
    (630) 243-1669
  • Post #35 - October 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    Post #35 - October 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm Post #35 - October 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    milest303 wrote:As a long time lurker of this forum, I'm happy to have my first post here.

Helluva first post! Thanks, for sharing. Welcome to the non-lurking side. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more