LTH Home

3 Germans: Go while you can

3 Germans: Go while you can
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 6th, 2010, 2:33 pm
    Post #31 - April 6th, 2010, 2:33 pm Post #31 - April 6th, 2010, 2:33 pm
    I just wanted to chime in with some love for Mirabell. I go there once every couple of months and I've always enjoyed the food. I tend to stick with the basics - goulash soup (also my go-to food to help clear my sinuses when I have a cold), wiener schnitzel or thuringer wth sides of red cabbae and spaetzle. I also think they serve some of the best hackepeter in the city - however it's usually a weekend-only dish so call first to special oder it if you want it during the week. I try to sit at the bar and order the dinner - the bartender will often offer up a complimenary shot after dinner -usually something called a 'ziggy-zaggy'.
  • Post #32 - July 9th, 2010, 10:28 am
    Post #32 - July 9th, 2010, 10:28 am Post #32 - July 9th, 2010, 10:28 am
    I wanted to correct something I read earlier on this thread. Christl's in Palatine is still open, but is in the process of being sold. From what I was told a couple of weeks ago, it will be sold at the end of this month, but this is subject to change as it has already been moved back a couple of times. Per the current owners (and Palatine's city website) the restaurant will remain a German restaurant, named Bauer's Brauhaus. Per their permit request, the new owners plan on remaining open while they complete a (much-needed) renovation.

I work nearby and have been eating at Christl's a couple of times per month for the past 2-3 years. While it isn't consistent, when they are on, they have the best bratkartoffeln I have had on this continent. (The w-schnitzel is pretty good too.) In my experience, the food is better at lunch-time than at dinner which is good as the prices are about half during lunch.

Keeping with the subject line - go while you can...
  • Post #33 - July 10th, 2010, 11:07 pm
    Post #33 - July 10th, 2010, 11:07 pm Post #33 - July 10th, 2010, 11:07 pm
    Anyone know what the deal is with Schnitzel Platz on North Avenue out by Villa Park? The place looks like it's still open (outdoor lighting and everything during the evening), but every time I drive by, there isn't a single car in the lot. Whether it's closed, or open but not being patronized, breaks my heart either way. :(
  • Post #34 - July 10th, 2010, 11:26 pm
    Post #34 - July 10th, 2010, 11:26 pm Post #34 - July 10th, 2010, 11:26 pm
    Drover wrote:Anyone know what the deal is with Schnitzel Platz on North Avenue out by Villa Park? The place looks like it's still open (outdoor lighting and everything during the evening), but every time I drive by, there isn't a single car in the lot. Whether it's closed, or open but not being patronized, breaks my heart either way. :(

I heard from my brother many months ago that the place was scheduled to close. Sad news really since I'll be back in town for the first time since Christmas of last year coming up shortly.
    GOOD TIMES!
  • Post #35 - July 11th, 2010, 1:16 am
    Post #35 - July 11th, 2010, 1:16 am Post #35 - July 11th, 2010, 1:16 am
    Jayz wrote:
    Drover wrote:Anyone know what the deal is with Schnitzel Platz on North Avenue out by Villa Park? The place looks like it's still open (outdoor lighting and everything during the evening), but every time I drive by, there isn't a single car in the lot. Whether it's closed, or open but not being patronized, breaks my heart either way. :(

I heard from my brother many months ago that the place was scheduled to close. Sad news really since I'll be back in town for the first time since Christmas of last year coming up shortly.

Well, that kinda sucks. I guess I should stop in and see if they'll sell me some of their glassware for good and cheap. My wife broke my German-language Weihenstephaner glass :evil: ; I'm betting I can get a replacement there.
  • Post #36 - July 11th, 2010, 1:32 am
    Post #36 - July 11th, 2010, 1:32 am Post #36 - July 11th, 2010, 1:32 am
    Drover wrote:
    Jayz wrote:

Well, that kinda sucks. I guess I should stop in and see if they'll sell me some of their glassware for good and cheap. My wife broke my German-language Weihenstephaner glass :evil: ; I'm betting I can get a replacement there.

Good news, I'm assuming he was either wrong or talking about another German restaurant. Yelp shows a review as recent as 6/28/10. Looks like I'll be there soon enough. :D Either way I'll check for more information.

Sorry for the scare!
    GOOD TIMES!
  • Post #37 - July 11th, 2010, 8:07 am
    Post #37 - July 11th, 2010, 8:07 am Post #37 - July 11th, 2010, 8:07 am
    Everyone, the Schnitzel Platz will re-open on July 16th according to today's newspaper. It looks like they were closed for vacation.
  • Post #38 - July 11th, 2010, 10:04 pm
    Post #38 - July 11th, 2010, 10:04 pm Post #38 - July 11th, 2010, 10:04 pm
    ralphmans wrote:Everyone, the Schnitzel Platz will re-open on July 16th according to today's newspaper. It looks like they were closed for vacation.

We have a reservation for 15 people for the 17th, so I'm guessing their still open for business. I recall that they do close for vacation in July, as I've noticed other European businesses do.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #39 - July 13th, 2010, 10:53 pm
    Post #39 - July 13th, 2010, 10:53 pm Post #39 - July 13th, 2010, 10:53 pm
    Dabney's wrote:I wanted to correct something I read earlier on this thread. Christl's in Palatine is still open, but is in the process of being sold. From what I was told a couple of weeks ago, it will be sold at the end of this month, but this is subject to change as it has already been moved back a couple of times. Per the current owners (and Palatine's city website) the restaurant will remain a German restaurant, named Bauer's Brauhaus. Per their permit request, the new owners plan on remaining open while they complete a (much-needed) renovation.

Thanks for this update. I'll be interested to see what the new owners do. (Although it doesn't look as if they can actually remain open while the renovations are going on since it appears from the zoning hearing that the remodeling will be fairly extensive and they need to renovate before the city will grant them a food license.)
  • Post #40 - January 3rd, 2011, 6:46 pm
    Post #40 - January 3rd, 2011, 6:46 pm Post #40 - January 3rd, 2011, 6:46 pm
    Christl's in Palatine has been replaced by Bauer's Brauhaus. I peeked in the door today and the place is beautiful - great remodeling job. I asked one of the personnel about their much delayed opening date. The target now is January 17th.
    There is a menu posted on the window that has all my requisite favorites, including Steak Tatar and Rollmops. Hope they can come close to matching Lauschets.

Alte Opa
  • Post #41 - January 3rd, 2011, 9:14 pm
    Post #41 - January 3rd, 2011, 9:14 pm Post #41 - January 3rd, 2011, 9:14 pm
    In rechecking the menu, I can't seem to find Steak Tatar. Must have been wishful thinking. All the other standards are there.

opa403
  • Post #42 - March 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm
    Post #42 - March 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm Post #42 - March 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm
    The DANK Haus has been generously gifted much of the historic Chicago Brauhaus! We are very excited to preserve the legacy of Harry and Gunther Kempf. Architect Michael Waechter has generously drawn up plans for installation of the original Chicago Brauhaus bar in our second floor Brandenburg Room. We need your help to make our dream come true! Please consider donating to help cover the costs of the new construction and renovation efforts. This room once finished will be called the Brauhaus Room. Danke!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-chicago-brauhaus-legacy

If they can pull this off, their Brandenburg room was pretty austere and could really use this facelift.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #43 - March 5th, 2020, 8:31 pm
    Post #43 - March 5th, 2020, 8:31 pm Post #43 - March 5th, 2020, 8:31 pm
    Interesting thread revival. Let's do an inventory on the the restaurants mentioned herein:

Black Forest Chalet, Morton Grove: CLOSED

Chicago Brauhaus, Lincoln Square: CLOSED

Glunz Bavarian Haus, North Center: CLOSED

House of Glunz, Old Town: OPEN (though not and AFAIK never was German-themed)

Christl's Inn, Palatine: CLOSED; RE-OPENED as Bauer's Brauhouse: CLOSED; RE-OPENED and CURRENTLY OPERATING as Schnell's Brauhaus

Gasthaus zur Linde, Elgin: CLOSED

Chef Paul's Bavarian Lodge, Lisle: OPEN

The Berghoff, Downtown/Loop: CLOSED; RE-OPENED after a few variations on the theme

Mirabell, Irving Park: CLOSED

Resi's Bierstube, North Center: OPEN

Laschet's Inn, North Center/St. Bens: OPEN

Edelweiss, Norridge: OPEN, and probably will be for the foreseeable future with all the Poles living out that way

Old Munich Inn, Wheeling: CLOSED; RE-OPENED and CURRENTLY OPERATING as Old Munich Tavern

Fritzl's, Lake Zurich: OPEN

Schnitzel Platz, Glendale Heights: OPEN
  • Post #44 - March 9th, 2020, 10:51 am
    Post #44 - March 9th, 2020, 10:51 am Post #44 - March 9th, 2020, 10:51 am
    Chicago Brauhaus Could Return As Part Of DANK Haus If It Meets $50,000 Fundraising Goal

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/03/06 ... sing-goal/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #45 - March 9th, 2020, 3:47 pm
    Post #45 - March 9th, 2020, 3:47 pm Post #45 - March 9th, 2020, 3:47 pm
    Nope. They want people to pay for the fixtures and name a room after the Brauhaus. The restaurant is not coming back. Terrible headline.
  • Post #46 - March 15th, 2020, 11:49 am
    Post #46 - March 15th, 2020, 11:49 am Post #46 - March 15th, 2020, 11:49 am
    A VERY good friend of mine Dawn Peterson and her husband Chuck Wozniak are the new owners of Schnitzel Platz - I'm going tonight and will report back
    http://www.schnitzelplatz.com/
  • Post #47 - October 19th, 2021, 4:25 pm
    Post #47 - October 19th, 2021, 4:25 pm Post #47 - October 19th, 2021, 4:25 pm
    Another sad day...
    Couldn't find a LTH page for them, but Fritzl's in Lake Zurich closed. Gaming till yearend.
    https://fritzl.com/
    Last edited by Steve N on October 21st, 2021, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #48 - October 20th, 2021, 8:21 am
    Post #48 - October 20th, 2021, 8:21 am Post #48 - October 20th, 2021, 8:21 am
    I see no mention of the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle. Their website appears closed.
  • Post #49 - October 20th, 2021, 10:27 am
    Post #49 - October 20th, 2021, 10:27 am Post #49 - October 20th, 2021, 10:27 am
    Tim wrote:I see no mention of the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle. Their website appears closed.

Definitely still open.

http://bavarian-lodge.com/

https://twitter.com/BavarianLodge

They tweeted ten minutes ago.
  • Post #50 - November 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am
    Post #50 - November 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am Post #50 - November 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am
    zoid wrote:A VERY good friend of mine Dawn Peterson and her husband Chuck Wozniak are the new owners of Schnitzel Platz - I'm going tonight and will report back

Please report back. This is not far from where I live but the one time I went there, I thought the food was tasteless. No onions for flavoring in the potato pancakes and an odd kind of grease to the food. Never went back. Would love an update.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #51 - April 28th, 2023, 10:24 pm
    Post #51 - April 28th, 2023, 10:24 pm Post #51 - April 28th, 2023, 10:24 pm
    Hi,

Ended up this evening at Resi's, which is a ghost of itself. It was more a tavern than a restaurant. Our waitress was from Latvia. On the menu was 'Russian Eggs,' which may hint at the present ownership. Spaetzle needed salt, as did their mushroom soup. On the plus side, their schnitzel was crisp and delicious under a sour cream and mushroom gravy.

It is probably not long for this world.

Drove past Laschet's around 10 PM, there were parked cars in front suggesting activity inside. At this same time you could park anywhere in front of Resi's.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #52 - April 29th, 2023, 8:17 pm
    Post #52 - April 29th, 2023, 8:17 pm Post #52 - April 29th, 2023, 8:17 pm
    While Resi's wasn't part of my past, it's sad.
    I can't fault other cultures finding their way, but as more and more of your own fall away, it's hard.
    Keep the spirit and enjoy what you can. Find some new friends to turn in to old friends and bring good times, good gatherings to them, just as your old friends brought good times to you.
    I've made that my new 'responsibility'.
    . .
    OH. Don't know if I saw this here on LTH, or posted it before:
    German Girl in America site and on Face Book. Friend her on Face Book and she posts interesting / fun things quite often.

https://germangirlinamerica.com/

https://www.facebook.com/GermanGirlinAmerica
    - -
    Steve
  • Post #53 - April 29th, 2023, 8:20 pm
    Post #53 - April 29th, 2023, 8:20 pm Post #53 - April 29th, 2023, 8:20 pm
    zoid wrote:A VERY good friend of mine Dawn Peterson and her husband Chuck Wozniak are the new owners of Schnitzel Platz - I'm going tonight and will report back

Their web page shows very recent reports. April 2023.
  • Post #54 - April 29th, 2023, 8:41 pm
    Post #54 - April 29th, 2023, 8:41 pm Post #54 - April 29th, 2023, 8:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Drove past Laschet's around 10 PM, there were parked cars in front suggesting activity inside. At this same time you could park anywhere in front of Resi's

Yeah, long-time Laschet's bartenders Scott and his wife Erin bought the place about three or four years ago. They've done a nuch better job of marketing than the previous owners, whom I suspect didn't really understand the importance of social media. They also just finished a complete renovation of the place, upped the menu quality, and sharpened their beer program particularly with their monthly Special Tapping series. They sometimes get their hands on a keg of pretty rare stuff that's one of only a handful that make their way to America.
  • Post #55 - April 30th, 2023, 10:03 am
    Post #55 - April 30th, 2023, 10:03 am Post #55 - April 30th, 2023, 10:03 am
    Cathy2 wrote:On the menu was 'Russian Eggs,' which may hint at the present ownership.

It has been pointed out by ReneG the Russian Eggs have been on the menu for a long time. According to this post by Jeff B from 2004:

Somewhat to my surprise, Resi's served up the first truly great tomatoes I've eaten this summer, garnish to the Russian Eggs (which is the world's best potato salad topped with halved hard boiled eggs, a tangy mayo dressing, very good lox/lochs, and pretty darn decent cheap caviar). The tomatoes, however, were dense and red with nary a seed and almost no pulp. Flesh like a good plumb. A tomato slice like that might be good with a smear of Resi's excellent imported butter on a piece of brick-like Lithuanian pumpernickle from Baltic Bakery. And it was.

I've always liked Resi's, obviously, and it's very nearby. But the last few meals have made me realize that the guy cooking is more than a fine German chef with recipes and technique. He's more produce-sensitive than some of the better Italian and even South East Asian chefs around town (high praise in my book).

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more