LTH Home

new burger place from Jimmy John's founder

new burger place from Jimmy John's founder
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:21 pm
    Post #61 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:21 pm Post #61 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:21 pm
    so how big are the patties? 1/4 lbs? Smaller?
  • Post #62 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:25 pm
    Post #62 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:25 pm Post #62 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:25 pm
    I'd estimate them at a generous quarter pound.
  • Post #63 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:27 pm
    Post #63 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:27 pm Post #63 - October 23rd, 2006, 3:27 pm
    gp60004 wrote:so how big are the patties? 1/4 lbs? Smaller?

From my experience, I'd guess 1/3 of a pound. They were thick. Too thick to stack, IMO.

Taft
  • Post #64 - October 23rd, 2006, 6:24 pm
    Post #64 - October 23rd, 2006, 6:24 pm Post #64 - October 23rd, 2006, 6:24 pm
    Was in this much talked about burger spot today and I was impressed. The atmosphere was great... but best of all the burger was better then I hoped for. Fries had to much salt but I am hoping it is jsut becasue they are training there employees.

Milkshake was unreal, I will be getting the peanut butter choc shake all the time.

I would guess the burger was 1/3 lb and I had a double with american grilled onion and mushrooms and it was just right.
  • Post #65 - October 23rd, 2006, 7:49 pm
    Post #65 - October 23rd, 2006, 7:49 pm Post #65 - October 23rd, 2006, 7:49 pm
    Any burger joint claiming to be an "In-n-Out" anything - competetor, homage, copycat, whathaveyou - that uses frozen fries seems like something close to sacrilege.
    Writing about craft beer at GuysDrinkingBeer.com
    "You don't realize it, but we're at dinner right now." ~Ebert
  • Post #66 - October 23rd, 2006, 9:42 pm
    Post #66 - October 23rd, 2006, 9:42 pm Post #66 - October 23rd, 2006, 9:42 pm
    whiskeybent wrote:Any burger joint claiming to be an "In-n-Out" anything - competetor, homage, copycat, whathaveyou - that uses frozen fries seems like something close to sacrilege.

Agreed.

While I don't really buy into In N Out's exalted position as the end all/be all of hamburgers, something that they definitley have going for them is the fresh-cut fries.
  • Post #67 - October 23rd, 2006, 11:55 pm
    Post #67 - October 23rd, 2006, 11:55 pm Post #67 - October 23rd, 2006, 11:55 pm
    Having lived in SoCal for 20 years now, I've had my share of In-N-Out burgers. I eat my burgers plain...meat, cheese and bun, so the quality and quantity of the meat is a biggie to me since it isn't hid under an assortment of condiments and other toppings. In-N-Out makes a very good fast food burger at a decent price ($1.39 for a single I think) but it pales in comparison to other places, even here in SoCal.

While some of the principles of this new place may be developed from the In-N-Out philosophy, the burgers certainly sound different, as In-N-Out's standard burger is well under 1/4 pound. If this new place (and the name escapes me) is serving 1/3 lb burgers...using quality beef, real cheese and a good bun, then they've got me sold before I even walk in there!

As for the fries, In-N-Out's are good, but nothing more (my opinion). Unless ordered extra crisp they are usually undercooked and quite limp. Of course the last time I ordered them extra crisp, they took it too far and were too hard, like potato chip sticks. One of the great things about my semi-annual trips to Chicago is how many places I go to have absolutely great fries. 9 out of 10 places we go to (and my native CA wife concurs) have fries superior to In-N-Out's.
    Last edited by RSMBob on October 24th, 2006, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Bob in RSM, CA...yes, I know, it's a long way from Chicago
  • Post #68 - October 24th, 2006, 8:42 am
    Post #68 - October 24th, 2006, 8:42 am Post #68 - October 24th, 2006, 8:42 am
    I asked and the patties are indeed 1/3 of a pound. I ordered the double and it ended up being a mess but it was very tasty but too greasy for my taste. It seems like they grill the bun with butter making it crispy but it just soaks through a good part of the bun.
  • Post #69 - October 24th, 2006, 8:53 am
    Post #69 - October 24th, 2006, 8:53 am Post #69 - October 24th, 2006, 8:53 am
    Bob, I generally agree with your thoughts about fries. I like the way the In n Out fries taste, a lot, but they are often a little too soft.

As for Chicago fries, they don't get much love here, but I'm not sure why. The hand-cut, double fried, beef and hot dog stand fries of Chicago are justly praised by the fry-obsessed Sterns. I don't know if I like any fries much more than Al's with giardinera or Weiner's Circle with cheese. In addition, the duck fat fries at Hot Doug's and the frites at Hop Leaf stand up very well, in my humble experience, to the more notable Euro-stlye spuds in NY.

Speaking of Chicago burgers, fries and chains, how about the buger and fries at Portillo's? Portillo's is fairly far down my list for beef and hot dogs, but the burgers and fries are really done well.
  • Post #70 - October 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
    Post #70 - October 24th, 2006, 11:43 am Post #70 - October 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
    JeffB wrote:Bob, I generally agree with your thoughts about fries. I like the way the In n Out fries taste, a lot, but they are often a little too soft.

As for Chicago fries, they don't get much love here, but I'm not sure why. The hand-cut, double fried, beef and hot dog stand fries of Chicago are justly praised by the fry-obsessed Sterns. I don't know if I like any fries much more than Al's with giardinera or Weiner's Circle with cheese. In addition, the duck fat fries at Hot Doug's and the frites at Hop Leaf stand up very well, in my humble experience, to the more notable Euro-stlye spuds in NY.

Speaking of Chicago burgers, fries and chains, how about the buger and fries at Portillo's? Portillo's is fairly far down my list for beef and hot dogs, but the burgers and fries are really done well.

The thing I like about In n Out is they manage to do fast food about as good as it can be done. Certainly it isn't perfect, and there are a *lot* better places to get both burgers and fries, but for a fast food pseudo-chain, they do darn well.

I think the reason people don't make a big deal about Chicago fries is that for every good fry place out there, there are a ton of mediocre or down-right bad places. A lot of the Vienna beef branded greasy food joints peppered throughout the city do fries as an afterthought. They're either frozen tasteless things or hand cut fries gone horribly wrong. I remember a place in Northwestern station downtown that had hand cut fries (I think) but fried them only once, resulting in overly dark brown fries which were still soggy and greasy. I've seen a few places making the same mistake.

Doug's and Hop Leaf do a great job, though. I've had quite a few good steak frites meals around the city, as well. I'm generally not a huge fan of the medium cut fries (somewhere between steak frites style fries and English pub fries) that are a Chicago staple. But done well, they are pretty tasty.

Taft
  • Post #71 - October 24th, 2006, 11:57 am
    Post #71 - October 24th, 2006, 11:57 am Post #71 - October 24th, 2006, 11:57 am
    JeffB wrote:Bob, I generally agree with your thoughts about fries. I like the way the In n Out fries taste, a lot, but they are often a little too soft.

Al's fries with Giardinera - near perfection imo. Hell, the entire meal at Al's borders on perfect. But sticking to the fries - they USED to make fantastic, borderline amazing fries at Darwins. Sadly - they don't resemble the pre-ownership change fries anymore.
  • Post #72 - October 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm
    Post #72 - October 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm Post #72 - October 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm
    mrtrumbe wrote:I think the reason people don't make a big deal about Chicago fries is that for every good fry place out there, there are a ton of mediocre or down-right bad places. A lot of the Vienna beef branded greasy food joints peppered throughout the city do fries as an afterthought. They're either frozen tasteless things or hand cut fries gone horribly wrong. I remember a place in Northwestern station downtown that had hand cut fries (I think) but fried them only once, resulting in overly dark brown fries which were still soggy and greasy. I've seen a few places making the same mistake.
    Taft

In most other cities, even one fast food stand doing fresh cut double fried french fries is unheard of.
  • Post #73 - October 24th, 2006, 1:43 pm
    Post #73 - October 24th, 2006, 1:43 pm Post #73 - October 24th, 2006, 1:43 pm
    bnowell724 wrote:In most other cities, even one fast food stand doing fresh cut double fried french fries is unheard of.

True, true. I guess it shows how spoiled we are. :)

Taft
  • Post #74 - October 24th, 2006, 1:44 pm
    Post #74 - October 24th, 2006, 1:44 pm Post #74 - October 24th, 2006, 1:44 pm
    I guess part of my point was that outside observers do make a big deal about Chicago fries. My comment about the relative lack of fry love was focused on this forum. But lots of good things go without recognition, until they are recognized. I'm not going to say that Chicago fries are as solid across the board in the quirky way that, say, Chicago Italian sausage is. But it has a good number of places making solid, hand-cut, skin-on, twice fried spuds.
  • Post #75 - October 24th, 2006, 3:55 pm
    Post #75 - October 24th, 2006, 3:55 pm Post #75 - October 24th, 2006, 3:55 pm
    are the fries at Al's freshly cut?
  • Post #76 - October 24th, 2006, 4:47 pm
    Post #76 - October 24th, 2006, 4:47 pm Post #76 - October 24th, 2006, 4:47 pm
    Snark wrote:are the fries at Al's freshly cut?

Freshly cut in-house, twice-fried. Guaranteed.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #77 - October 24th, 2006, 5:16 pm
    Post #77 - October 24th, 2006, 5:16 pm Post #77 - October 24th, 2006, 5:16 pm
    Snark wrote:are the fries at Al's freshly cut?

Snark,

Al's on Taylor Street fries are cut in-house, soaked, blanched in oil to cook the inside, second higher temp fry for the exterior. I've seen it with my very own eyes, terrific fries and one of the top Italian beefs in the city.

Al's on Taylor

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #78 - October 24th, 2006, 10:05 pm
    Post #78 - October 24th, 2006, 10:05 pm Post #78 - October 24th, 2006, 10:05 pm
    The post mentioning that the buns are grilled with butter makes me think that this place sounds along the lines of the Culver's Butterburgers...

eew. :oops:
  • Post #79 - October 24th, 2006, 11:37 pm
    Post #79 - October 24th, 2006, 11:37 pm Post #79 - October 24th, 2006, 11:37 pm
    bnowell724 wrote:In most other cities, even one fast food stand doing fresh cut double fried french fries is unheard of.

Yes, we have a considerable share. Don't forget Gene & Jude's. Heck, even Superdawg cuts its crinkle fries from fresh potatoes every day.

You know, it's surprising that that they chose to open Patty Burger in a place where the competition is as tough as Chicago. Consider that we have more independent fast-food spots here than all of the local McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's outlets put together.* Nobody's going to get too excited about something like this here, even if it's outstanding. It took a place that serves kangaroo sausage and foie gras hot dogs to get Chicagoans worked up.

Whereas someplace like Bloomington or Peoria would probably really love it.

*According to Vienna Beef.
  • Post #80 - October 25th, 2006, 12:07 am
    Post #80 - October 25th, 2006, 12:07 am Post #80 - October 25th, 2006, 12:07 am
    Gary,

Boy, that looks good! Although very good, Al's has some savory ingredient on the beef that I can't pinpoint (I think it's Chinese 5 Spice) that turns me off a bit - the fries are great though - although I've only been to Ontario/Orleans.

That pic of Al's beef... Is that a mixture of hot and sweet giardiniera?
  • Post #81 - October 25th, 2006, 1:05 am
    Post #81 - October 25th, 2006, 1:05 am Post #81 - October 25th, 2006, 1:05 am
    As much as I like In-N-Out Burger, it can hardly be considered to be "fast" food. The food has taken a minimum of 12-15 minutes on my last three minutes from order to delivery ... almost as bad as McDonalds.

Burger Patty has one ting in common with Jinny John's - both seem very overpriced for what you get.
  • Post #82 - October 25th, 2006, 7:01 am
    Post #82 - October 25th, 2006, 7:01 am Post #82 - October 25th, 2006, 7:01 am
    Snark wrote:Gary,

Boy, that looks good! Although very good, Al's has some savory ingredient on the beef that I can't pinpoint (I think it's Chinese 5 Spice) that turns me off a bit - the fries are great though - although I've only been to Ontario/Orleans.

It may be five spice, or at least anise. The beef that I had recently from the new Evanston's Al's had a definite anise note.

eric2
  • Post #83 - October 25th, 2006, 7:03 am
    Post #83 - October 25th, 2006, 7:03 am Post #83 - October 25th, 2006, 7:03 am
    Snark wrote:Boy, that looks good! Although very good, Al's has some savory ingredient on the beef that I can't pinpoint (I think it's Chinese 5 Spice) that turns me off a bit - the fries are great though - although I've only been to Ontario/Orleans.

Snark,

Pictured Al's Italian Beef contains only hot/giardiniera, no sweet peppers. What you see are slices of celery, though I've often suspected they are interspersed with thin slices of fresh fennel.

Far as Al's spicing, which I quite like, the savory 5-spice like component you can't quite pinpoint is most likely fennel seed which has an anise like flavor. Star anise is one of the components of 5-spice powder.

If you've only been to the Ontario Al's you owe it to yourself to try Taylor Street.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #84 - October 25th, 2006, 3:11 pm
    Post #84 - October 25th, 2006, 3:11 pm Post #84 - October 25th, 2006, 3:11 pm
    I went for a little media rollout thing that they had last night.

The free beer was the best thing about the trip.

Burger was OK, but not great. Kind of seemed like a case of the whole not really being up to the sum of the parts.

Patty was probably a generous 1/4 lb - 1/3 lb. Tomatoes were of lousy quality. Special sauce seems to be a zesty thousand island type dressing. Lettuce and onion were good. Cheese was a waste of time, the small sample of the no-cheese burger tasted much better, probably because you could taste the meat, which was a cut above most fast food places. Bun was nothing special, though fine.

I guess that they might find a niche, but the execution is not that slick.

In short, while they claim to be following the In-n-Out burger formula, it is way wide of that mark.

Also, their breakfast looks to be seriously overpriced.

Ahh, I would say go if you are in the neighborhood if you are curious, but don't waste a trip on it.
    We need more secret sauce! Put this jar of mayonnaise in the sun!
  • Post #85 - October 27th, 2006, 7:05 pm
    Post #85 - October 27th, 2006, 7:05 pm Post #85 - October 27th, 2006, 7:05 pm
    Unimpressive and a bit overpriced. The burger patty, however, is seasoned vaguely like Harvey's burgers in Canada, so I'll go every once in awhile for nostalgia value.

Also, THEY DON'T HAVE ANY PICKLES! A burger joint that doesn't even stock pickles might just as well be called F*** You Burger.
  • Post #86 - October 27th, 2006, 7:32 pm
    Post #86 - October 27th, 2006, 7:32 pm Post #86 - October 27th, 2006, 7:32 pm
    LAZ wrote: Heck, even Superdawg cuts its crinkle fries from fresh potatoes every day.

are you sure about that? I haven't seen a commercial french fry cutter that will do the crinkle cuts.
  • Post #87 - October 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm
    Post #87 - October 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm Post #87 - October 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm
    gp60004 wrote:
    LAZ wrote: Heck, even Superdawg cuts its crinkle fries from fresh potatoes every day.

are you sure about that? I haven't seen a commercial french fry cutter that will do the crinkle cuts.

You callin' Flaurie a liar?!?

:-)

http://superdawg.com/faqs_content.cfm?hasflash=1

(Click on "What makes Superfries so delicious")
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #88 - October 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm
    Post #88 - October 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm Post #88 - October 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm
    gp,

Look a little bit harder. Go in the back entrance to Superdawg's rest rooms, and you can partially see their storage/prep area. From that vantage point, amongst the plastic racks of burger and hot dog buns, you will clearly see that same french fry cutter that everyone in the business uses (crinkle cut version) mounted on a stainless steel table, as well as case after case of fresh potatoes.

I can't help being nosy after close to 30 years in the kitchen.

:twisted:
    Last edited by Evil Ronnie on October 27th, 2006, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #89 - October 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm
    Post #89 - October 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm Post #89 - October 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm
    Interesting video clip. Have they had the crinkle cuts from day 1?
  • Post #90 - October 27th, 2006, 8:33 pm
    Post #90 - October 27th, 2006, 8:33 pm Post #90 - October 27th, 2006, 8:33 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:gp,

Look a little bit harder. Go in the back entrance to Superdawg's rest rooms, and you can partially see their back storage/prep area. From that vantage point, amongst the plastic racks of burger and hot dog buns, you will clearly see that same french fry cutter that everyone in the business uses (crinkle cut version) mounted on a stainless steel table, as well as case after case of fresh potatoes.

I can't help being nosy after close to 30 years in the kitchen.

:twisted:

Thanks for the info ER. I wasn't aware there was a crinkle cut version for that cutter.

I don't envy the person that has to cut all those fries.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more