LTH Home

What happened to Pequod's Pizza... [+ Burt's Place]

What happened to Pequod's Pizza... [+ Burt's Place]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 10
  • Post #181 - September 10th, 2007, 4:05 pm
    Post #181 - September 10th, 2007, 4:05 pm Post #181 - September 10th, 2007, 4:05 pm
    Here is a link to a larger image of the Saveur magazine cover and the table of contents, for those of us who don't subscribe. You can see the Burt's place credit on the table of contents. Was there any other mention in the magazine?

http://www.zinio.com/cover?is=224691901

I guess I should break down and buy a copy for $5. Then again, that is 25% of the subscription price; so I may as well subscribe. See, they got me. Just what I need, another magazine. Well, how bad can it be if it has a picture of my favorite pizza on the cover?
  • Post #182 - September 10th, 2007, 6:55 pm
    Post #182 - September 10th, 2007, 6:55 pm Post #182 - September 10th, 2007, 6:55 pm
    I'm pleased to see that the Chicago issue is 105 - I just received my first issue of my subscription and it's 104. So, the one I'm really waiting for is yet to come.
    -Pete
  • Post #183 - September 11th, 2007, 9:18 am
    Post #183 - September 11th, 2007, 9:18 am Post #183 - September 11th, 2007, 9:18 am
    If all they do is credit them in the table of contents, people are going to have a helluva time finding the place since he's unlisted. Unless of course, they find us.

Is the issue actually out yet? I know buddy went looking for it this weekend and couldn't find it yet.
  • Post #184 - September 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm
    Post #184 - September 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm Post #184 - September 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm
    I got my issue today. In addition to the cover, Burt's gets a full page with three photographs, and a short entry (with phone number) in "Where to Eat" at the end of the issue.

I haven't had time to read the issue carefully but it's a pretty interesting mix of the obvious and the obscure.
  • Post #185 - September 11th, 2007, 8:38 pm
    Post #185 - September 11th, 2007, 8:38 pm Post #185 - September 11th, 2007, 8:38 pm
    Hi,

Knowing Saveur's fact checkers, if Burt had hesitated on the phone number, then he teetered on being dropped from the issue. It was a small sacrifice to principle, perhaps, and a wise business decision.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #186 - September 11th, 2007, 9:23 pm
    Post #186 - September 11th, 2007, 9:23 pm Post #186 - September 11th, 2007, 9:23 pm
    I had let my subscription lapse following the changes at Saveur, but I am just so darn happy for Burt and Sharon that I'm going to have to relent and resubscribe.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #187 - September 17th, 2007, 11:28 am
    Post #187 - September 17th, 2007, 11:28 am Post #187 - September 17th, 2007, 11:28 am
    Rene G wrote:I got my issue today. In addition to the cover, Burt's gets a full page with three photographs, and a short entry (with phone number) in "Where to Eat" at the end of the issue.

I haven't had time to read the issue carefully but it's a pretty interesting mix of the obvious and the obscure.

that's great!!! :D
  • Post #188 - September 21st, 2007, 10:49 pm
    Post #188 - September 21st, 2007, 10:49 pm Post #188 - September 21st, 2007, 10:49 pm
    In 1965, I bought a house in Morton Grove and continued raising a family. Sometime thereafter (early 1970s?) I discovered Pequod's and Burt Katz. My first wife and I used to hang out at the old place on Fernald quite often and became friends with Burt and his waitress Etty Dolgan and her husband, Giora, who was getting an engineering degree at night from UIC. They were recent immigrants from Israel. (BTW - My current wife's late husband's family held a reunion in Israel several years ago and Etty made all of the arrangements. Small world!)
    Burt had started collecting old radios and one of his frequent customers was Chuck Shadden of "Those Were the Days" fame. We'd spend lots of evenings talking about the golden age of radio.
    Of course, the pizza was great. I don't recall why we ever stopped going to Pequod's. Maybe something happened that my first wife didn't like. Who knows?
    I do recall that one Christmas, Burt asked me to play Santa Claus. He would hire a bus and make arrangements to bring inner city kids to his restaurant, treat them to gifts and prepare a big holiday spread with all the trimming. So there I was - a nice Jewish boy from Chicago - playing Santa. The kids loved it and so did I.
    One of the folks posting on this thread by the name of Jeff (I can't recall his nom de plume) has waited tables for Burt and seems to continue doing so on Saturday nights.
    I noted that Burt is computer illiterate, so I'd appreciate if Jeff would pass along my regards to Burt.
    Tell him that right now I'm on a restricted diet that excludes dairy products, but I'm hoping to gradually start eating dairy foods again. When that day comes, I'm going to bring my current (and last) wife to Burt's Place to celebrate.
    Regards,
    GP Bob Levi
  • Post #189 - September 21st, 2007, 11:41 pm
    Post #189 - September 21st, 2007, 11:41 pm Post #189 - September 21st, 2007, 11:41 pm
    Grandpa Bob wrote:I do recall that one Christmas, Burt asked me to play Santa Claus. He would hire a bus and make arrangements to bring inner city kids to his restaurant, treat them to gifts and prepare a big holiday spread with all the trimming. So there I was - a nice Jewish boy from Chicago - playing Santa. The kids loved it and so did I.
    Burt used to run a Christmas party every year for those less fortunate. The guests varied from inner city kids in the beginning to Little Brothers of the Poor toward the end. The "staff" was made up of volunteers from our regular workforce (back then we had as many as seven people working on the weekends!) and our regular customers. Folks would actually put their names on a waiting list to work our annual Christmas party. We frequently had more volunteers than we could use, but it was a special day for everyone involved.

Burt provided a school bus to pick up the crowd, all they had to do was gather in one place. Food was provided by Burt and his then butcher who also volunteered his services as a chef. We put on a full spread turkey dinner including stuffing, corn, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, and dessert.

Burt even went around to all the local merchants looking for donated Christmas gifts that we would wrap and, as Bob mentions, would then be handed out by someone playing Santa Claus. Even I did the honors for a few years.

Grandpa Bob wrote:One of the folks posting on this thread by the name of Jeff (I can't recall his nom de plume)has waited tables for Burt and seems to continue doing so on Saturday nights.
    Really? I need something more memorable than BuddyRoadhouse?

Grandpa Bob wrote:I noted that Burt is computer illiterate, so I'd appreciate if Jeff would pass along my regards to Burt.
    Tell him that right now I'm on a restricted diet that excludes dairy products, but I'm hoping to gradually start eating dairy foods again. When that day comes, I'm going to bring my current (and last) wife to Burt's Place to celebrate.
    Regards,
    GP Bob Levi
    Bob, I will see Burt tomorrow night and let him know you're thinking of him. I miss those very special days and our very special customers. It's hard to convey the remarkable warmth and camaraderie that went on there in those glory days. The folks who are just now discovering Burt's think what we have now is special. We certainly appreciate all that they have brought to us at the new place. But if you think it's good now, you shoulda seen it back when!

As for your current dietary restrictions, who says you can't have pizza without cheese? Burt makes them all the time for folks with similar dairy issues. Don't wait for that "someday", Bob. Get your butt in there now!

Thanks for helping me revisit the memories,

Buddy
  • Post #190 - September 22nd, 2007, 10:04 pm
    Post #190 - September 22nd, 2007, 10:04 pm Post #190 - September 22nd, 2007, 10:04 pm
    Standing in a newstand in the Seattle airport yesterday morning, what should I end up staring at???? Nothing less than that luscious picture of Burt's pizza on the cover of the current Saveur. Pure torment particularily after I subjected myself to something that was billed at "pizza" in Kelowna, British Coulumbia the previous night.......yeesh....
  • Post #191 - September 24th, 2007, 12:31 am
    Post #191 - September 24th, 2007, 12:31 am Post #191 - September 24th, 2007, 12:31 am
    Cathy and I were at Burt's place tonight and it was clear that the Saveur effect is a very real phenomenon, though perhaps of a different character than the "Check, Please!" effect. Burt reported that he is now busy every night. Tonight he had to turn away a couple near closing time because he was out of dough. These things are not especially surprising. What was surprising was what we learned about Burt's new customers. The group includes a number of chefs, some of whom travel from far-flung locations to seek out Burt's pan pizza. As Cathy and I were chatting with Burt, Chef Mark Grosz of Oceanique came in to pick up his order and introduced himself to Burt. Last week some guests at one of the top hotels downtown called for directions to get to Burt's on the train; he suggested they consult the concierge. (Rene G take note: you predicted that after reading the current issue of Saveur, tourists could be choosing between North Pond and Fat Johnnie's for their last meal in town. Looks like the choice might just as well be Blackbird or Burt's!) But the thing that really surprised Burt was finding a note under his door last week from some Texans who had shown up when he was closed but requested that he make and ship their pizza to Fort Worth!
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #192 - October 23rd, 2007, 5:56 pm
    Post #192 - October 23rd, 2007, 5:56 pm Post #192 - October 23rd, 2007, 5:56 pm
    Well I got back to Burt's Saturday night. Buddy was working but I didn't even introduce myself since it seemed so busy. If I overheard correctly he was telling people it would be an hour and a half before they'd get pizza. And one person I believe wanted to order something from the grill and were basically told, no, too busy.

I wasn't thrilled (selfish I know) to see it so crowded. I was half expecting a bad experience. But then the pizza came. Damn, it was better than the last time I was there. And better than the time before that. And let's not even talk about how good the onion rings were!!!

I guess I'll have to put up with the crowds.
  • Post #193 - October 23rd, 2007, 9:24 pm
    Post #193 - October 23rd, 2007, 9:24 pm Post #193 - October 23rd, 2007, 9:24 pm
    Good King Midas, I thought that was you! Tall guy, follically challenged, as they say, second booth along the north side of the building (same booth you were in the first time you visited if I recall correctly) sitting with another gentleman.

I'm glad you had a good experience. Yes indeed, you did hear me telling people it would be upwards of an hour and a half for a pizza on Saturday night. You would have heard me telling them the exact same thing all weekend long (Sharon is out of town visiting grandkids so I got full weekend duty). Business has been over the top insane since the Saveur article came out.

Now the good news/bad news: The good news; on Sunday night we were visited by a Time Out photog who took pictures for another article in the November 8th issue. This time the article will be about Chicago pizza in general with a focus on Burt's. The bad news, obviously, is that the craziness will continue for at least another month, making it tough for our regular customers to get near the place.

Just remember, we still love you and we miss you and we hope we'll see you again when things calm down a bit.

Buddy
  • Post #194 - October 24th, 2007, 5:40 am
    Post #194 - October 24th, 2007, 5:40 am Post #194 - October 24th, 2007, 5:40 am
    Yep, that was me. But I've been there 4 or 5 more times when Sharon was working. I'm just happy the food didn't suffer with the upturn in business. If anything, it was better.
  • Post #195 - October 24th, 2007, 7:56 am
    Post #195 - October 24th, 2007, 7:56 am Post #195 - October 24th, 2007, 7:56 am
    Mr. X and I were there just as they opened for the evening on Saturday. The crowds hadn't yet descended, but some Boy Scouts did try to sell Burt some popcorn. Buddy Roadhouse deftly moved them along.

We started with the onion rings and a couple of poppers. Great rings. They were a perfect prelude to our large sausage, garlic, tomato pizza. Fresh garlic on a pizza is kind of like a surprise party -- you don't know when it's coming, but when you get it, it's wonderful! We enjoyed the leftovers the next two days.

It does sound like it's pretty crazy there after all the press. I was glad we snuck in when we did on Saturday.

-The GP
  • Post #196 - October 24th, 2007, 9:43 pm
    Post #196 - October 24th, 2007, 9:43 pm Post #196 - October 24th, 2007, 9:43 pm
    Kidding of course. I started going there because of Buddy's and other's glowing recos on this forum, have been a relative regular for a year or so and have told all who will listen that it is definitely the best pizza I have ever eaten. Period.

Anyway, sigh, publicity is great for Burt and Sharon, and deserved. I might have to get the copy of the magazine just to check it out.
    We need more secret sauce! Put this jar of mayonnaise in the sun!
  • Post #197 - October 25th, 2007, 10:51 pm
    Post #197 - October 25th, 2007, 10:51 pm Post #197 - October 25th, 2007, 10:51 pm
    I enjoyed a perfectly prepared pizza at Burt's tonight. There were only three tables occupied at 7:00. Very relaxing evening. Thursday night is a good time to go, before the madness starts on Friday.
  • Post #198 - June 10th, 2009, 8:20 am
    Post #198 - June 10th, 2009, 8:20 am Post #198 - June 10th, 2009, 8:20 am
    I had such high expectations for Pequod's, and I hate to say that I had a lackluster pie yesterday (at the Morton Grove location). It was undoubtedly UNcaramelized, and looked nothing like the photos on page 1. The cheese was stark white and the crust was nearly bare, and the pizza as a whole was incredibly bland. Although the crust was a perfect cross between puffy, crispy, and bready, it had no taste. I ordered a thin crust mushroom with half pepperoni and half sausage. After a few slices and the look of Pie Dude's beautifully browned, piled-high pan (green pepper, sausage, and half black/half green olives), I asked for it to be caramelized a little more; it came back slightly tan with crispy pepperoni. Though I love crispy pepperoni, I was looking for those nice dark brown spots of cheese, so I half-heartedly gave the experience a C+, though I may come back because the place is so adorable and the pan did look quite tasty. Pie Dude ranked the place as being one of his top 5 after this experience, so maybe I had an off-'za? I didn't have time to upload photos this morning, but I'll post them tomorrow.

I was also tickled to see that Burt's is practically next door. I knew it was close, but wow! My sense of direction sucks but occasionally I get a pleasant surprise as a result. Also I love the fact that there are about half a dozen little neighborhood joints, including the Super Cup coffee shop across the street from Pequod's that I think I can swing by during lunch one day for pickup. What a cute 'hood. But next time I'm in it, it's Burt's for sure, if for nothing else but a comparison.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #199 - June 10th, 2009, 9:25 am
    Post #199 - June 10th, 2009, 9:25 am Post #199 - June 10th, 2009, 9:25 am
    Pie Lady wrote:I had such high expectations for Pequod's, and I hate to say that I had a lackluster pie yesterday (at the Morton Grove location). It was undoubtedly UNcaramelized, and looked nothing like the photos on page 1. The cheese was stark white and the crust was nearly bare, and the pizza as a whole was incredibly bland. I ordered a thin crust mushroom with half pepperoni and half sausage.
    My dearest Pie Lady... I believe you ordered the wrong pizza. The pictures you see on Page 1 are for Pequod's deep dish pizza. That's the one with the famous carmelized cheese, not the thin crust. Turn around and go back! :wink:
  • Post #200 - June 10th, 2009, 9:31 am
    Post #200 - June 10th, 2009, 9:31 am Post #200 - June 10th, 2009, 9:31 am
    Dammit, I thought it was both! :x Still, it was bland, and I wouldn't have minded about the caramelized crust as much if they threw some seasoning on there.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #201 - June 10th, 2009, 9:51 am
    Post #201 - June 10th, 2009, 9:51 am Post #201 - June 10th, 2009, 9:51 am
    I've always loved Pequod's thin crust pizza. Last time I ordered one (from the Chicago location), it was terrible. It had about as much taste and character as a mediocre frozen pizza. I haven't had a chance to try one since, though I have enjoyed their deep dish, so I don't know if my one bad experience was a one-time thing or more than that.
  • Post #202 - June 10th, 2009, 10:04 am
    Post #202 - June 10th, 2009, 10:04 am Post #202 - June 10th, 2009, 10:04 am
    I have to say that Pequod's crust is terribly inconsisent. It can be superb one day, and bland cardboard the next.
  • Post #203 - June 10th, 2009, 10:22 am
    Post #203 - June 10th, 2009, 10:22 am Post #203 - June 10th, 2009, 10:22 am
    Pie Lady wrote:I was also tickled to see that Burt's is practically next door. I knew it was close, but wow!... What a cute 'hood. But next time I'm in it, it's Burt's for sure, if for nothing else but a comparison.
    Just a word to the wise to help you avoid disappointment: Don't just "drop in" (my words) on Burt's next time you are in the "'hood" (your word) without calling first with an order and a scheduled time. Since that dang "No Reservations" (ironic name, considering, eh?) episode hit the air, it's near impossible to get near the place. People are calling in, literally, days in advance with their orders and requests for prime time dining. Even if you wait to call until the day of your visit, call as early as possible; late morning, early afternoon, for the best options that evening.

Lately, we've been as much as two hours "behind" as we're opening the doors at 4:30. In other words, if you called or came walking in the door without an order/reservation at 4:30, you would be told (politely) that the earliest time available for a pizza would be 6:30 that evening.

It's a regrettable situation, but there's only one guy making the pizzas and only so much room in both the dining room for customers, and the oven for pizzas. Better to call ahead and get what you want than to walk in the door cold, only to be told of a two hour (or more) wait.

Buddy
  • Post #204 - June 10th, 2009, 10:30 am
    Post #204 - June 10th, 2009, 10:30 am Post #204 - June 10th, 2009, 10:30 am
    This I have heard, but thanks for reminding me, especially the part about 'days in advance'. Maybe Kuma's should have the same policy!

(Just joshin', G Wiv! :lol: )

I write stuff.
  • Post #205 - June 10th, 2009, 10:34 am
    Post #205 - June 10th, 2009, 10:34 am Post #205 - June 10th, 2009, 10:34 am
    I'm a big pequod's fan - but there have been definite consistency issues in the past year or so. I've had a couple very average deep-dish pizzas, crust too thick, bland.
  • Post #206 - June 10th, 2009, 10:35 am
    Post #206 - June 10th, 2009, 10:35 am Post #206 - June 10th, 2009, 10:35 am
    Pie Lady wrote:I had such high expectations for Pequod's, and I hate to say that I had a lackluster pie yesterday (at the Morton Grove location). It was undoubtedly UNcaramelized, and looked nothing like the photos on page 1. The cheese was stark white and the crust was nearly bare, and the pizza as a whole was incredibly bland. Although the crust was a perfect cross between puffy, crispy, and bready, it had no taste.

Over the last couple of weeks, my wife and i decided to order delivery from Pequod's in Lincoln Park. I haven't had it for years and honestly couldn't remember the last pizza I had there, so I was all for it. We ordered a large pan pizza - pepperoni and mushroom. I really liked the caramelized crust and the sauce but didn't love the pie overall. I felt it was too doughy, which made it seem bland. If the pizza has that much dough, it needs that much sauce/cheese/etc to balance it out. It got to the point that we were cutting the bottom half off the pizza to just enjoy the top half - not what I had in mind.

Last week, I decided to try the same pie but in the "thin" crust version and my reaction was much like Pie Lady's above. Pretty lackluster and bland. The crust wasn't what I would consider "thin" but I guess that's okay. It reminded me of that "hand-tossed" craze from about 15 years ago.

I can see where others would like these pies though. I will concede that they use quality ingredients and the sauce is flavorful but I guess it's just not for me. Too bad. I'm still looking for a pizza place that can knock Bella's cheap/mediocre thin crust off my menu rotation (with the caveat that they deliver to the Augusta/Damen intersection in Ukrainian Village).
    "It's not that I'm on commission, it's just I've sifted through a lot of stuff and it's not worth filling up on the bland when the extraordinary is within equidistant tasting distance." - David Lebovitz
  • Post #207 - June 10th, 2009, 10:46 am
    Post #207 - June 10th, 2009, 10:46 am Post #207 - June 10th, 2009, 10:46 am
    tyrus wrote:I'm still looking for a pizza place that can knock Bella's cheap/mediocre thin crust off my menu rotation (with the caveat that they deliver to the Augusta/Damen intersection in Ukrainian Village).
    When I lived in that area (Damen and Iowa), I liked Salerno's pizza. It was my second favorite delivery choice (my favorite place closed years ago). It was not "cracker" thin crust, but it was pretty good, bubbly and crispy at the edges. Although I haven't had a pizza from there since Salerno's became a mini-chain, it still has to beat Bella's.

edit: Another good delivery choice is John's. I have had a pizza from there recently and it was very good (it was of the extra thin variety).

Salerno's
    1201 W Grand Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (312) 666-3444
    http://www.salernospizza.com

Johns Pizza & Lounge
    2104 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 384-1755
    Last edited by d4v3 on June 10th, 2009, 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #208 - June 10th, 2009, 10:54 am
    Post #208 - June 10th, 2009, 10:54 am Post #208 - June 10th, 2009, 10:54 am
    d4v3 wrote:
    tyrus wrote:I'm still looking for a pizza place that can knock Bella's cheap/mediocre thin crust off my menu rotation (with the caveat that they deliver to the Augusta/Damen intersection in Ukrainian Village).
    When I lived in that area (Damen and Iowa), I liked Salerno's pizza. It was my second favorite delivery choice (my favorite place closed years ago). It was not "cracker" thin crust, but it was pretty good, bubbly and crispy at the edges. Although I haven't had a pizza from there since Salerno's became a mini-chain, it still has to beat Bella's.

Salerno's
    1201 W Grand Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (312) 666-3444
    http://www.salernospizza.com

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a try. Didn't want to derail the thread. BTW, I like thin crust but not that super cracker crust - more like the tavern style, less like Mi Pie's thin crust. This looks good. Thanks again.
  • Post #209 - June 10th, 2009, 12:18 pm
    Post #209 - June 10th, 2009, 12:18 pm Post #209 - June 10th, 2009, 12:18 pm
    I absolutely second John's, they deliver, but cash only. I always ask for the pie well done.

Pequod's, to me, also lacks flavor, it's missing salt or something crucial. The crust is the draw I guess with the carmelization, but it's the sauce or cheese that lacks some oomph.
  • Post #210 - June 10th, 2009, 6:00 pm
    Post #210 - June 10th, 2009, 6:00 pm Post #210 - June 10th, 2009, 6:00 pm
    I had some Pequod's last night (FREE Pequod's...gotta love eating on someone else's dime) at the Chicago location and it was absolutely perfect. We ordered one pepperoni and one veggie. The crusts were loaded with caramelized cheese and everything came out pretty quickly...or maybe that was just the beer.

I was expecting perhaps a little poorer quality because the place was jammed with people watching the Wings/Pens game and we had a pretty large group of people, but no, it was as good of a pizza as I have ever had.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more