LTH Home

Over Easy Cafe

Over Easy Cafe
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 25th, 2007, 8:56 pm
    Post #31 - March 25th, 2007, 8:56 pm Post #31 - March 25th, 2007, 8:56 pm
    HI,

Thank you Trixie-Pea for the recommendation. It's always great to get a menu item highlighted by someone whose tastes parallel yours.

Again, thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #32 - July 14th, 2007, 11:20 am
    Post #32 - July 14th, 2007, 11:20 am Post #32 - July 14th, 2007, 11:20 am
    Tried Over Easy this morning for a leisurely Saturday breakfast. Long overdue first time since I'm in the neighborhood (relatively) and it was a nice bike ride up to the place and I was sat immediately in a nice corner table along the banquette side of the restaurant. Full of folks but no line --i thought the atmosphere with all the hanging eggs was charming.

First of all, how excellent to have Julius Meinl coffee! I don't often get over to the coffee shop of the same name so to have it available in my hood is a really nice thing to have. I also ordered what they call a freckled OJ, which was an oj with strawberry puree and it was a mighty tasty libation. Some day I may have to bring in a split of champagne for a very festive breakfast beverage.

Great and attentive but not overly attentive service. My coffee was never too low or too cool -- which is a nice bonus at breakfast. I ordered a Retro Omelet, which was ham, chives and swiss cheese and I was very pleased at the tender texture -- I hate rubbery eggs and don't tend to order omelets because I find them overdone far too much. The accompanying roasted red potatoes were nice and crispy on the outside and tender and melty on the inside -- a nice alternative to hash browns. I also ordered up a short stack of pancakes because I always like to see how they taste at breakfast joints and these were less successful. They seemed very "floury" -- a taste that became less pronounced the colder they got, but it wasn't very pleasant. I would probably not try them again. Although....the portion was rather huge for a short stack! <grin>

My only other complaint was the multi-grain toast I ordered had an oddly sour taste to it--almost like it was made with a sourdough starter that had (if it's possible) gone off. I am the Queen of Carbs and yet I didn't want to finish one slice of toast, much less two.

One odd thing--towards the end of my meal, the power went off. Never seen anything kill the conversation in a restaurant like the cutting of power. Silence descended! It was no biggie to me because I had eaten most of my meal and already had my check -- and I was paying in cash to boot but when I left 10 minutes later, it still had not turned back on. The waitstaff kept circulating saying it would be back on in 5 minutes but who knows? The funny thing was the very loud obscene comments that came from the kitchen when it went out -- although I do understand the motivating reason for that. Plus..i'm completely unoffendable with that sort of thing.

So...i'm sure I'll be back -- i'd like to try the popover apple pancake sometime, but it was a pricey breakfast. I tend to go to Tweet, which is also not cheap, but this was at least $4 or $5 bucks more for a similar kind of breakfast. For the two items...it was $20.
  • Post #33 - August 6th, 2007, 6:48 pm
    Post #33 - August 6th, 2007, 6:48 pm Post #33 - August 6th, 2007, 6:48 pm
    My boyfriend and I finally made it over here for brunch on Saturday. I had a hard time deciding b/c I always want something savory and sweet! My boyfriend helped me out by ordering the strawberry french toast after I ordered the corn cakes with ham and eggs. I loved the corn cakes - they were delicious - lots of flavor with the slightest kick to them. There was a nice red pepper dipping sauce. My sunny side up eggs were prepared perfectly. After I ate my half, my boyfriend and I switched. I was happy that the strawberry french toast wasn't overly sweet. I was surprised that the strawberries were still so warm. There were tons of strawberries w/this dish!

I like Over Easy Cafe more than M Henry and Orange. There were quite a few people waiting outside, but the wait was not bad at all. It is nice that parking is so easy to find in this area.
  • Post #34 - September 25th, 2007, 12:55 pm
    Post #34 - September 25th, 2007, 12:55 pm Post #34 - September 25th, 2007, 12:55 pm
    I have lived in the hood for a couple years now, but just made it over to Over Easy for the first time (I was scared off by the wait). I did have to wait over 20 min on Sunday at around noon, but it was nice out, and of course the Julius Meinl helps.
    While 20 min is not a bad wait, I have to say it wasnt worth it. My boyfriend had pancakes with blackberries and strawberry sauce. They were good, but not great, and seemed kind of overpriced. I had the breakfast sandwich with scrambled eggs, beef prosciutto (flavorful, i've never had it before), chives and cheese. It was ok, but again I expected something to wow me. It was served on a fairly generic sandwich roll, that definitely could've benefited from some grilling or toasting. In fact I'd say to scrap it all together and choose a more interesting bread.
    I'm glad it's doing well in that neighborhood, because I like having independently owned, interesting places, but I definitely won't be rushing back. My brunch experiences at Tre Kronor and M. Henry were far superior.
    And for kick-ass pancakes that you don't have to wait for, I'd head over to Merle's near the Francisco stop.
  • Post #35 - January 6th, 2008, 9:53 am
    Post #35 - January 6th, 2008, 9:53 am Post #35 - January 6th, 2008, 9:53 am
    Three of us just had breakfast here. Sadly, since we were all seduced by the same entree (Sassy Eggs--with chorizo/potato hash, eggs, guacamole, sour cream, red peppers and ancho "ketchup") I can't offer an entirely useful opinion on the quality of the food, but I will say we were all quite pleased. We walked in at 8:30 with no wait and when we left an hour later, there was still no wait (though I'd bet there will be one by 10). My only two complaints: they crammed three of us into a two-top and the coffee service is a little too over the top. Every sip you take brings someone eager to refill your coffee. It gets a little intrusive. However, we all agreed the service and food were very good and prices reasonable. $33 for three, before tip. We'll be back!
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #36 - April 17th, 2008, 12:47 am
    Post #36 - April 17th, 2008, 12:47 am Post #36 - April 17th, 2008, 12:47 am
    Finally visited Over Easy at lunchtime.

Curried chicken salad ($9 with a choice of sides) on toasted multigrain bread was very flavorful, savory and sweet at once, and studded with golden raisins and red grapes.

Garlic potato potato salad tasted intensely -- but not overpoweringly -- of garlic, and was tender and well seasoned.

As always, portions were ample. Service was friendly and efficient. I've always enjoyed brunch at Over Easy, but I think lunch may be an even better bet.
  • Post #37 - September 19th, 2009, 10:01 pm
    Post #37 - September 19th, 2009, 10:01 pm Post #37 - September 19th, 2009, 10:01 pm
    I'll be sticking to my miles-away favorites: Tweet and m. henry

I finally tried Over Easy after living a stone's throw away for more than a year. I had heard great word of mouth, so I was expecting some wow-ness. Nope.

I had "Emily's Dream" pancakes, which were far less than dreamy. The hub cap-sized stack of pancakes came with blackberries, raspberry coulis, orange butter and whipped cream. Even though all these fruity flavors are described, the dish is astoundingly bland. Really couldn't taste much at all -- I have never encountered such an unfortunate occurrence! The orange butter was only detectable if I spooned a large chunk directly into my mouth.

My friend has a simple stack of French toast, which she really really enjoyed. I tasted, and they were indeed quite good. Maybe it's just in the pancake department that they suck. Service was fabulous, and as mentioned above, coffee was re-filled like their lives depended on it.

I want to go back. Maybe to try some eggs (their name suggests it might be a specialty of sorts) or French toast.

-M@
    Twitter: @Mattsland
  • Post #38 - September 20th, 2009, 6:17 am
    Post #38 - September 20th, 2009, 6:17 am Post #38 - September 20th, 2009, 6:17 am
    In my experience, as well, Over Easy was FAR behind m.henry, lula, or bongo room in quality (and mostly in service, as well.)
  • Post #39 - September 20th, 2009, 6:45 am
    Post #39 - September 20th, 2009, 6:45 am Post #39 - September 20th, 2009, 6:45 am
    I'm a big fan of Over Easy, but will definitely drive away if the wait is exceedingly long. The last few times I've gone wait times have surpassed forty minutes; granted those were weekend mornings around 10:00 of 11:00 am. If I'm off during the week when the crowds are thinner, this is my go to place. In addition to the great egg dishes, I love the French Toast.
  • Post #40 - September 20th, 2009, 7:37 am
    Post #40 - September 20th, 2009, 7:37 am Post #40 - September 20th, 2009, 7:37 am
    I'd been meaning to try Over Easy for quite some time. However, I do not feel like waiting 20+ minutes for a table on a weekday morning at 10:30. That made me want to try it more, though, because it gave me the impression that I was missing something special.

Finally made it in. It was full, but not much of a wait. The room wasn't cramped, but it kind of felt that way. I wanted to try the apple pancake, but I didn't feel like waiting 30 minutes, so I opted for the burger.

It was a good burger. I don't know if it was a $9 burger, but it was a good burger.

I ordered it with some macaroni salad; good, but not earth-shattering. It was a meal I would expect to eat at a holiday picnic. Not cheap, but not a ripoff, either. Overall, the prices were a little more than I'd like to pay for that type of food. Service was fine, but not spectacular. Free street parking is a huge plus.

One note that I feel is very important. This is not an optimal place for seniors; it's tailored more for people in their 20's or 30's. I went with a senior and we hardly bothered to talk because he is very soft-spoken. I could hear everyone else in the restaurant as clearly as if I were sitting right next to them, but I could not hear the person directly across from me.

Over Easy isn't anything special, but I'd go back if someone I was with wanted to try it. I'd want to see if m henry was busy or not first.
  • Post #41 - May 27th, 2021, 1:40 pm
    Post #41 - May 27th, 2021, 1:40 pm Post #41 - May 27th, 2021, 1:40 pm
    Over Easy, Ravenswood’s Charming Brunch Spot, Closes After 15 Years

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/5/27/224 ... ravenswood
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles