LTH Home

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 26 of 26 
  • Post #751 - January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm
    Post #751 - January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm Post #751 - January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm
    Outstanding cold szechuan noodles and dan dan noodles from the Westmont location today. As good as ever. I also tried stir fry beef noodles, which was fine. The noodles themselves were, of course, great. The flavors were good not great, and there was too much oil.

I did learn a couple of nuggets. First, while I assumed the the Oak Park location was now back to being an offshoot of the original given that they share a website, the person I spoke with in Westmont confirmed that Oak Park is a franchise and not run by the same chef. Second, and this is a bummer, after yet another failed attempt to get the incredible cold beef tendon dish (ma la niu jin) that used to be a fixture in the cooler, I asked if it was ever coming back. I was told that the chef who made it retired a couple of years ago and nobody there can pull it off. Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
  • Post #752 - January 17th, 2022, 8:06 am
    Post #752 - January 17th, 2022, 8:06 am Post #752 - January 17th, 2022, 8:06 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?

Asian Bistro in Arlington Heights.
  • Post #753 - January 17th, 2022, 11:22 am
    Post #753 - January 17th, 2022, 11:22 am Post #753 - January 17th, 2022, 11:22 am
    cilantro wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?
    How does the dish differ from Szechuan tendon and maw dish available at many places (to differing degrees of success)?

Edit: After looking up the Chinese word, it doesn't appear different from the dish Szechuan JMC does best, IMO.
  • Post #754 - January 17th, 2022, 11:34 am
    Post #754 - January 17th, 2022, 11:34 am Post #754 - January 17th, 2022, 11:34 am
    bweiny wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    How does the dish differ from Szechuan tendon and maw dish available at many places (to differing degrees of success)?

Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

Here's a random image I found online:

• Post #755 - January 17th, 2022, 11:54 am
    Post #755 - January 17th, 2022, 11:54 am Post #755 - January 17th, 2022, 11:54 am
    cilantro wrote:Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

Here's a random image I found online
    That's the same image I saw at the top of the results. I guess I just recall more of that in the JMC version. I love the chewiness of it and the tripe.
  • Post #756 - January 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm
    Post #756 - January 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm Post #756 - January 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:. . . Second, and this is a bummer, after yet another failed attempt to get the incredible cold beef tendon dish (ma la niu jin) that used to be a fixture in the cooler, I asked if it was ever coming back. I was told that the chef who made it retired a couple of years ago and nobody there can pull it off. Anyone know where I can get a decent version elsewhere?

I agree that the analogous version at JMC -- heavy on peanuts and celery -- is excellent . . .

Ox Tendon & Maw in Chili Sauce at Szechuan JMC Kitchen (20.0313)

I also had a solid version at Lao Sze Chuan in Highland Park last month. Recent reports about consistency at the various LSC are all over the place -- and with good reason -- so, proceed with caution. Our meal there was filled with misses but the cold beef and tendon was among the better dishes we had.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #757 - January 17th, 2022, 3:23 pm
    Post #757 - January 17th, 2022, 3:23 pm Post #757 - January 17th, 2022, 3:23 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    bweiny wrote:
    cilantro wrote:

Similar flavors (because of Sichuan peppercorns and chili), but "Husband and wife lung slices" (fuqi feipian) usually has actual meat, whereas the tendon dish is literally just sliced tendon. The texture is different, too -- chewier? In a pleasant way.

This is definitely what I'm looking for. Nothing but well spiced thin cut tendon that can melt into a bowl of hot rice. Thanks for the Asian Bistro tip.
  • Post #758 - April 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm
    Post #758 - April 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm Post #758 - April 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm
    While I've been in Chicago regularly lately, I hadn't had a chance to get over to Katy's for about a year. The proprietress remembered me, which I shall take to be a positive about me since she engaged me in conversation while I was waiting for my standard "pork fried noodle a little spicy" order. She assured me that business has continued to be solid in the year since I had been there.

The aforementioned retired older gentleman cook made the noodles a little better, but this is still an amazing dish which I have considerable trouble finding anywhere near the same quality out of state.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #759 - May 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm
    Post #759 - May 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm Post #759 - May 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    bweiny wrote:
    cilantro wrote:

This is definitely what I'm looking for. Nothing but well spiced thin cut tendon that can melt into a bowl of hot rice. Thanks for the Asian Bistro tip.

While not as good, one of the stalls at the International Mall Food Court in Westmont had a decent version. Convenience won out as it's right down the street from Katy's.
  • Post #760 - May 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm
    Post #760 - May 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm Post #760 - May 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm
    threadkiller wrote:While I've been in Chicago regularly lately, I hadn't had a chance to get over to Katy's for about a year. The proprietress remembered me, which I shall take to be a positive about me since she engaged me in conversation while I was waiting for my standard "pork fried noodle a little spicy" order. She assured me that business has continued to be solid in the year since I had been there..

Good to know they're still putting out good stuff...I haven't been in a year - the last couple of times it wasn't quite as awesomely mala-y as it had been in the past. Hope to check in our again soon...
  • Post #761 - July 7th, 2022, 10:41 pm
    Post #761 - July 7th, 2022, 10:41 pm Post #761 - July 7th, 2022, 10:41 pm
    Was in the area today -- quite a way from home -- and took advantage by stopping into Katy's for a nice lunch . . .

Dan Dan Noodles

Pork Napa Potstickers

Stir-Fried String Beans
    Hard to see in this pic but there was still steam rising off of these when they hit the table. Talk about wok hei! :)

Pork & Onion Stir Fried Pancake
    My usual favorite at Katy's and it was solid but on this visit, the dan dan earned the top spot.

Salt & Pepper Fried Smelts (special)

Really good stuff. I especially liked the dan dan and the string beans. As others have posted above, dumplings were not quite what they once were but not for a lack of effort. The entire team was assembling them -- fresh, from scratch -- in the kitchen as we were leaving. Really glad I had occasion to be in the area and next time it happens, I'll definitely stop in for another meal at Katy's.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #762 - July 8th, 2022, 8:57 am
    Post #762 - July 8th, 2022, 8:57 am Post #762 - July 8th, 2022, 8:57 am
    Ronnie, every one of those dishes looks absolutely perfect. I've got to get back down there one of these days.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #763 - July 8th, 2022, 10:01 am
    Post #763 - July 8th, 2022, 10:01 am Post #763 - July 8th, 2022, 10:01 am
    Dry Chili smelt needs to be a thing somewhere. 3 Chili might be good if not too sweet.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #764 - July 19th, 2022, 11:18 pm
    Post #764 - July 19th, 2022, 11:18 pm Post #764 - July 19th, 2022, 11:18 pm
    Mom, Dad, and I have been visiting graves of long gone relatives. Some we never once visited and others we thought were long gone as in dug up. Did you know you may request your relative's stone be raised up after sinking so long ago nobody knew it was still there. Yes, this is how we have spent our weekends this summer.

On the plus side, it means we are away from home when we get hungry. On one occasion, I finally got my Dad to Gene and Jude's. And a few weeks ago, it was an opportunity to visit Katy's Dumplings. (You think your gps is smart? It did not understand my repeated requests for Katy's Noodles. I had to google to figure out I was wrong!)

My Dad ordered Mongolian Beef, which I do not recommend. What do I know? My Dad thought it was good.

We ordered pork and chive dumplings encased in a green colored dumpling skin. I really liked the filling and appreciated the made-on-the-premises dumpling skin. I wished I ordered more dumplings.

I did order the pork and onion stir fried pancake. It just did not have the lovely mouth feel I recalled. When I compared pictures from 2006 to 2022, I understood better my reaction. Let those pancakes bunch up, it makes a difference!

July, 2022:

September, 2006:

Walking through the kitchen to the bathroom, I saw the eggrolls. It appeared they made the skins for that, too. All was well until they delivered the sweet and mustard sauces. They were not in pourable bottles, they were the take-out packet kind. Really?

I stopped by Mee-Mah for their egg rolls recently. Before I got there, I was ready to ask for their standard table sauce instead of take-out packets. When I looked in the bag, their in-house sauce was in there. No need to say a word.

I am sure sometime I will visit Katy's, though next time in the area I will check out the International Mall. It is always the fight in my brain over which to visit with Katy almost always winning out. I think this last visit helps tip curiosity in International Mall's favor.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #765 - July 21st, 2022, 4:23 pm
    Post #765 - July 21st, 2022, 4:23 pm Post #765 - July 21st, 2022, 4:23 pm
    We visited Katy's Westmont. The Dan Dan noodles were fantastic, the dumplings outstanding. I was extremely happy.

It's a disgrace that proper Szechuan/Dumplings is so scarce around these parts....

Hoorary Katy!
  • Post #766 - December 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm
    Post #766 - December 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm Post #766 - December 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm
    Hi,

Playing with leftovers, I attempted to recreate Katy's pork and onion stir fried pancake. I had leftover Mandarin pancakes, a cup of au jus leftover from Sun Wah BBQ's Thanksgiving turkey, and pulled a pound of frozen raw velveted pork.

I sliced the Mandarin pancakes to one-inch width, then crisp-fried in a few tablespoons of oil. I flipped every four minutes or so, because I really wanted crisp pancakes. Once they were done, I put them aside.

For the meat and vegetables, I roughly followed this recipe for Shredded pork. Instead of chicken stock and seasonings, I used au jus from Sun Wah. It was pretty salty, so I added some sugar and the tablespoon of corn starch. I skipped the carrot and celery, because I needed to use this little piece of cabbage roaming the fridge. Instead of Chinese scallions, I used green onions.

After the meat and vegetables were cooked and the au jus had thickened, I added the green onions and crispy noodles. I folded them in and got to the table fast. I wanted to enjoy the crispy pancake strips for as long as possible. No worries because, it remained largely crisp to the end.

I will be making this dish again with the crispy pancakes. If I wish just to replicate this dish a la Katy's 2006 (look two posts above), I will make Mandarin pancakes and not separate them. I think this is one of the key differences between the early and later versions of Katy's pork and onion stir fried pancake. The chewiness of the early version was due to the pancakes together and not separate. The recent version is Mandarin pancakes, who were separated after dry baking on a griddle.

In a few weeks, I will give the unseparated Mandarin pancakes a shot.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #767 - August 1st, 2023, 3:06 am
    Post #767 - August 1st, 2023, 3:06 am Post #767 - August 1st, 2023, 3:06 am
    First visit in years to the original location was pretty disappointing. Fish dumplings had pedestrian wrappers which were more than compensated by the very flavorful filling. The Szechuan Cold Noodles were the real letdown: the sauce had less flavor, the cucumbers were poorly chopped, and if those noodles were hand-pulled, I’m Mr. Red Shirt. Oh well.
  • Post #768 - October 19th, 2023, 8:10 am
    Post #768 - October 19th, 2023, 8:10 am Post #768 - October 19th, 2023, 8:10 am
    I'm afraid to ask. Been a while. Any recent intel on the OAK PARK location? We've settled for a big Chinese Food takeout spread tonight for a group of 7. It has to be takeout, and our path home will easily intersect Katy's Oak Park. it's just been a long while since we've tried the Oak Park location.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #769 - October 19th, 2023, 8:12 am
    Post #769 - October 19th, 2023, 8:12 am Post #769 - October 19th, 2023, 8:12 am
    For me, Katy's Oak Park was never anything but Katy's lite.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #770 - October 19th, 2023, 11:23 am
    Post #770 - October 19th, 2023, 11:23 am Post #770 - October 19th, 2023, 11:23 am
    I went around June and it was a you-know-what show.
    Wrong dished delivered to the table, kids bubble tea was undrinkable, service was glacial. Every table around us was complaining as well.
    I really want them to succeed because having Katy's in walking distance sounds awesome on paper. However, Westmont's not that far so for now I'll make the drive if I'm actually going to eat as opposed to just picking up frozen dumplings.
    I'll probably give them another shot in the not too distant future (fingers crossed).

I will say this - the takeout business was really churning out orders and the phone was ringing off the hook - maybe the flood of takeout was messing up the dine-in game? Don't really know.
  • Post #771 - October 20th, 2023, 6:49 am
    Post #771 - October 20th, 2023, 6:49 am Post #771 - October 20th, 2023, 6:49 am
    We did hit Katy's (OAK PARK) for a takeout feast. 9pm on a rainy Thursday night after watching good ol' Freshman High School Nite football. Mostly decent results, but more along the lines of, "kinda scratched the itch."

Dan Dan - sigh. barely passable. Sesame paste or peanut butter - just a touch too much. That was my only quibble with it. It came off as a touch sweet, but still had a bit of ma la. The chili oil was generous, but a bit tame.

Dry Chili Fish, Dry Chili tofu - even with the carryout travel sog, still ok. Not outstanding by any means, but might be the only place to get this within a five mile radius, so...whatchagonnado?

Three Chili Chicken - better flavor than the dry chili, but about half of the chicken chunks were dried out, like they had a few end of the night leftovers, but also decided to fry a handful fresh.

Beef w mixed veg stir fry - No pride glop. Sad.

Combination Fried noodle - This was old school Katy goodness, but the noodles here are thicker than I would expect from Westmont. Light sauce, super tender chicken, not enough wok hei, but no glop.

Kinda similar results to our last takeout, I think. Scratches our itch for Dry Chili / 3 Chili stuff, and maybe a beef noodle soup and/or Dan Dan, because it's the only game in the area, and a good amount of surrounding area.

Please note: This was the OAK PARK location.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more