LTH Home

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 25 of 26
  • Post #721 - March 3rd, 2020, 5:24 pm
    Post #721 - March 3rd, 2020, 5:24 pm Post #721 - March 3rd, 2020, 5:24 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to Katy's (Westmont) for the first time, for lunch, and I need help ordering. I've looked over this topic, and found several dishes of interest, but I don't see them on the menu on Katy's website:!

There was a change in ownership a few years ago. I would imagine they also fine tuned the menu after that change.

They also have daily specials that could be in flux.

I would only go by recent reports.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #722 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Post #722 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm Post #722 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Fried noodle is my fav
    Beef Noodle Soup or DanDan noodle

And many enjoy the Stir fried pancake

Dumplings have slipped
    XLB are good, not great
  • Post #723 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:12 pm
    Post #723 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:12 pm Post #723 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:12 pm
    Thanks.

chunker wrote:Fried noodle is my fav

So you mean any of the items in the "chow mein" section of the menu?
  • Post #724 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:40 pm
    Post #724 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:40 pm Post #724 - March 3rd, 2020, 7:40 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Thanks.

chunker wrote:Fried noodle is my fav

So you mean any of the items in the "chow mein" section of the menu?

Yes that’s correct
  • Post #725 - March 3rd, 2020, 8:34 pm
    Post #725 - March 3rd, 2020, 8:34 pm Post #725 - March 3rd, 2020, 8:34 pm
    Nsxtasy -
    Beef Noodle Soup
    Dan Dan
    Fried noodle
    Stir Fried pancake
    Bang Bang Chicken

I'd skip the Xiao Long Bao (I think usually on the specials board)
    Dumplings at your own risk

Also, my brow was raised when you mention 3 chili chicken at Westmont. For some reason, I don't think Westmont had the breadth of options like 3 chili or dry chili, whereas Naperville (closed) did and Oak Park does. In looking at the Westmont menu, I don't see those, but I might be overlooking them? Just don't want you to go to Westmont thinking 3 chili - but they don't offer it. My wife says we've gotten orange chicken in Westmont, but I think she's confusing it with Oak Park.

For me, Westmont Katy's is for Dan Dan and fried noodles. Really, ANY noodles, and chili oil, and bang bang chicken. Also, don't be expecting white tablecloths. The "decor" is pretty matter of fact. Take a peek at the cooler and pick out some stuff if you find it interesting - the Bang Bang will be in the cooler.

You want carbalicious food at Westmont. Noodles. You want noodles. And if they're done right, you won't get tired of them in different preps. I'd imagine they would rock a decent MaPo, as well, but imo, beef noodle soup, and dan dan, and some type of stir fried noodle or pancake are the essentials. Bang Bang too. Juss tryna help.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #726 - March 3rd, 2020, 8:46 pm
    Post #726 - March 3rd, 2020, 8:46 pm Post #726 - March 3rd, 2020, 8:46 pm
    Great - thanks!
  • Post #727 - March 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
    Post #727 - March 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm Post #727 - March 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
    You're in good hands with these recommendations. Beef tendon noodle soup is always one of my go to's as well. Same as the beef noodle soup, but with that slight tweak.
  • Post #728 - March 3rd, 2020, 9:43 pm
    Post #728 - March 3rd, 2020, 9:43 pm Post #728 - March 3rd, 2020, 9:43 pm
    Pancake
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #729 - March 4th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    Post #729 - March 4th, 2020, 3:48 pm Post #729 - March 4th, 2020, 3:48 pm
    So this newbie finally went to Katy's (Westmont) today. It was very good! I have three basic groups of remarks:

FINDING THE PLACE

The small sign on the front says "K'S DUMPLING", and you'll never notice that if you're cruising by on Cass Ave. It's hidden in a strip mall behind a standalone restaurant with a sign that says "Taste Greek StreetFood", just north of a Jewel supermarket.

Exterior:
    Interior:
    They have 28 seats (six four-tops and two two-tops). They were empty at 11:30, and started filling up around noon. By the time we left at 12:35, all the tables were taken (but no one was waiting to be seated).

MENU

There's one menu on the website katysdumplings.com (with the "s" before the .com) and a similar but different one on the website katysdumpling.com (without the "s"). Here's the printed menu today, which is still another (different but similar) version:

Specials:
    FOOD

Based on the above recommendations, the two of us split three items, and there was enough to take home some of each; two of the items would have been plenty to fill us up.

Combination fried noodle
    "Combination" means it's a combination of beef, chicken, and shrimp.

Shrimp fried pancake
    As already noted in this topic, this isn't our traditional American notion of a pancake.

Beef noodle soup

All three dishes were delicious. The beef noodle soup was the only dish that was spicy/hot; the other two were mild, and would be perfectly acceptable to people averse to heat.

I really liked Katy's, and would be happy to go back. The surprising thing that I've learned, from this topic as well as from my first visit, is this: Despite the name of the place, they specialize in noodle dishes more so than dumplings. Try a lot of dishes and chances are you'll like what you get.

Thanks to everyone here for the assistance with ordering!
  • Post #730 - March 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm
    Post #730 - March 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm Post #730 - March 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm
    nsxtasy wrote: The surprising thing that I've learned, from this topic as well as from my first visit, is this: Despite the name of the place, they specialize in noodle dishes more so than dumplings.

One guy's opinion on this:
    The noodles have always been outstanding, but the dumplings used to be fan-flippin-tastic as well. Only pretty recently, as far as I know, have the dumplings gone downhill.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #731 - March 4th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Post #731 - March 4th, 2020, 7:07 pm Post #731 - March 4th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    seebee wrote:One guy's opinion on this:
    The noodles have always been outstanding, but the dumplings used to be fan-flippin-tastic as well. Only pretty recently, as far as I know, have the dumplings gone downhill.

Dumplings are more likely to roll downhill than noodles. :lol:
  • Post #732 - March 4th, 2020, 9:31 pm
    Post #732 - March 4th, 2020, 9:31 pm Post #732 - March 4th, 2020, 9:31 pm
    Dumping's haven’t been ‘top of the game’ since the original ownership change.

I will stop again for the noodles. I love a good Dan Dan.
  • Post #733 - March 5th, 2020, 9:43 am
    Post #733 - March 5th, 2020, 9:43 am Post #733 - March 5th, 2020, 9:43 am
    nsxtasy wrote:
    seebee wrote:One guy's opinion on this:

Dumplings are more likely to roll downhill than noodles. :lol:

LOL.

But, I agree that the dumplings need help. The Cheng Du, shown on the picture above as a special, have been on the special board for awhile now, and are nothing special and can't hold a candle to Lao Schezuan's version, and the server upsold us on a special we couldn't understand which turned out to be nothing more than the soup dumplings on the regular menu - despite pointing the the board and talking excitedly. So, skip the dumplings, and go for the other things recommended, to which I would add the Ma Po Tofu and and the MaLa Hot Pot, both of which are delicious.
  • Post #734 - March 12th, 2020, 11:44 am
    Post #734 - March 12th, 2020, 11:44 am Post #734 - March 12th, 2020, 11:44 am
    I'm really surprised that there has been no mention of the cold noodle. While I love both the beef noodle and dan dan noodle soups at Westmont, by the end of the bowl sometimes the noodles are a little overcooked. Also, I've never quite forgiven Oak Park for the difference between the dan dan there and at Westmont. At any rate, a tangle of cold noodles with cucumber, ground pork and chili oil is always perfect.
  • Post #735 - March 12th, 2020, 1:02 pm
    Post #735 - March 12th, 2020, 1:02 pm Post #735 - March 12th, 2020, 1:02 pm
    deesher wrote:I'm really surprised that there has been no mention of the cold noodle. While I love both the beef noodle and dan dan noodle soups at Westmont, by the end of the bowl sometimes the noodles are a little overcooked. Also, I've never quite forgiven Oak Park for the difference between the dan dan there and at Westmont. At any rate, a tangle of cold noodles with cucumber, ground pork and chili oil is always perfect.

My favorite dish since day one. I don't think I've ever not ordered it.
  • Post #736 - March 16th, 2020, 11:42 am
    Post #736 - March 16th, 2020, 11:42 am Post #736 - March 16th, 2020, 11:42 am
    Since the news seems to be positive from the Oak Park location I was thinking about takeout from there tonight. However, the takeout menu online is very different from the full posted menu (which appears to be very out of date). Some things I'm expecting to see (dan dan noodles, for example) are not on the take out menu, which I find confusing. Can any of you suggest a definitive list of safe (which is to say, back to normal or improved) OP dishes I should consider that jibes with the takeout menu?
  • Post #737 - March 16th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Post #737 - March 16th, 2020, 11:48 am Post #737 - March 16th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Vitesse98 wrote:Since the news seems to be positive from the Oak Park location I was thinking about takeout from there tonight. However, the takeout menu online is very different from the full posted menu (which appears to be very out of date). Some things I'm expecting to see (dan dan noodles, for example) are not on the take out menu, which I find confusing. Can any of you suggest a definitive list of safe (which is to say, back to normal or improved) OP dishes I should consider that jibes with the takeout menu?

I have found the delivery companies simplify the menu for their convenience, not necessarily at the restaurant's directive.

If you are picking up, while it's more work for you, I would call my order in so they don't have to pay the delivery company when they aren't delivering and you can clarify what you really want from their regular menu.
  • Post #738 - March 16th, 2020, 2:29 pm
    Post #738 - March 16th, 2020, 2:29 pm Post #738 - March 16th, 2020, 2:29 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:However, the takeout menu online is very different from the full posted menu (which appears to be very out of date). Some things I'm expecting to see (dan dan noodles, for example) are not on the take out menu, which I find confusing.
    Yelp has 2 photos that show the full take-out menu post-reboot. It is listed as having been added 4 months ago. It matches their GrubHub menu (which is actually better setup than the printed version).

It's not a very well put together menu, especially the category labels. Dan Dan is kind of hidden in the chow mein section, and several noodle dishes are listed under fried rice. Flaws aside, I would bet on it being current and accurate. I don't know why Katy's own website skips over Dan Dan, since that's the only actual difference I see between the two.
  • Post #739 - March 16th, 2020, 3:41 pm
    Post #739 - March 16th, 2020, 3:41 pm Post #739 - March 16th, 2020, 3:41 pm
    bweiny wrote:It's not a very well put together menu, especially the category labels. Dan Dan is kind of hidden in the chow mein section, and several noodle dishes are listed under fried rice. Flaws aside, I would bet on it being current and accurate. I don't know why Katy's own website skips over Dan Dan, since that's the only actual difference I see between the two.

Katy's own website has Dan Dan, but in the soups section.

If you're ordering by phone, I don't see why you couldn't order from the actual menu pictured in my post above, from when they were recently serving for dine-in.
  • Post #740 - March 16th, 2020, 4:15 pm
    Post #740 - March 16th, 2020, 4:15 pm Post #740 - March 16th, 2020, 4:15 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Katy's own website has Dan Dan, but in the soups section.
    You're looking at the Westmont location. You have to switch over to Oak Park. There's no Dan Dan (or a bunch of other Westmont items). The same is the case for your useful photos, it doesn't translate to Oak Park.
  • Post #741 - March 16th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Post #741 - March 16th, 2020, 4:22 pm Post #741 - March 16th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Sorry, didn't recall that you're talking about the OP location. My bad. :oops:
  • Post #742 - March 16th, 2020, 6:25 pm
    Post #742 - March 16th, 2020, 6:25 pm Post #742 - March 16th, 2020, 6:25 pm
    B5D1D2D0-C394-4296-A440-79968AF75B8C.jpeg Katy’s Oak Park menu

Dandan is available in Oak Park.
  • Post #743 - March 17th, 2020, 10:30 am
    Post #743 - March 17th, 2020, 10:30 am Post #743 - March 17th, 2020, 10:30 am
    johnnies wrote:Dandan is available in Oak Park.

Historically it has been a different preparation than Westmont, more of a soup than ‘noodles, topped and a chili oil base’.

Of course this was several (?) owners ago. Westmont recently was holding true to the original preparation mentioned above.
  • Post #744 - March 17th, 2020, 5:33 pm
    Post #744 - March 17th, 2020, 5:33 pm Post #744 - March 17th, 2020, 5:33 pm
    Um, ok, I guess. Thanks to everyone for the help. So the OP location does not have shredded pancake, right?
  • Post #745 - March 23rd, 2020, 1:19 pm
    Post #745 - March 23rd, 2020, 1:19 pm Post #745 - March 23rd, 2020, 1:19 pm
    Katy's Beef Noodle Soup (leftovers) sans-noodles,
    boiled with some (OK- lots) of Chopped Fresh Garlic and Ginger-
    splash of Red-Boat-Nam Pla, Ground White Pepper, and
    immersion blended, topped with Toasted Garlic and sliced lemon-
    O M G!
    Good. :D

Call it Beef Lugaw?!
    Call it Beef Congee?
    Call it- Monday's LockDown-Lunch
    ImageMy Take on Beef "Lugaw".... by R. Kramer, on Flickr
  • Post #746 - March 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm
    Post #746 - March 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm Post #746 - March 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm
    Hombre de Acero wrote:Katy's Beef Noodle Soup (leftovers) sans-noodles,
    boiled with some (OK- lots) of Chopped Fresh Garlic and Ginger-
    splash of Red-Boat-Nam Pla, Ground White Pepper, and
    immersion blended, topped with Toasted Garlic and sliced lemon-
    O M G!
    Good. :D

Call it Beef Lugaw?!
    Call it Beef Congee?
    Call it- Monday's LockDown-Lunch
    ImageMy Take on Beef "Lugaw".... by R. Kramer, on Flickr

Oak Park?
  • Post #747 - March 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm
    Post #747 - March 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm Post #747 - March 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm
    Actually....I met them-take-away order in hand-
    "Curbside" @ The MotherShip-in-Westmont.
  • Post #748 - May 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm
    Post #748 - May 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm Post #748 - May 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm
    Take out from Westmont really scratched the itch today. They have a low contact set up, with a table up front. I ordered stuff I knew would survive the 20 minute ride home.

Cold Szechuan Noodles were an obvious choice and the strongest dish. I hadn't enjoyed these in a few years, they'll be back in the rotation, take out or not. Noodles retained the perfect tooth & sauce had big ma la energy + just the right touch of sweet & sour. Pork & onion pancake suffered a notch, losing a bit of its usual crisp-around-the-edges. Always satisfying though. I bought frozen dumplings by the sack. Boiled at home, I enjoyed these more than recent orders at the shop– I think their new deep fry technique on the potstickers is what bums me out.

I was the only order shortly after 11 today. Hope business is okay for them.

To clear up any Westmont/OP ownership issues, their new user-friendly website leads one to believe they operate under the same brand (again?) https://www.katysdumplings.com/
  • Post #749 - May 27th, 2020, 4:26 pm
    Post #749 - May 27th, 2020, 4:26 pm Post #749 - May 27th, 2020, 4:26 pm
    And yet, the OP menu still conspicuously lacks shredded pancakes.
  • Post #750 - September 7th, 2020, 9:44 am
    Post #750 - September 7th, 2020, 9:44 am Post #750 - September 7th, 2020, 9:44 am
    Had an amazing Take-Away meal from KATY's in Westmont.
    Some were eating inside, but their Dining Room is so small,
    it just feels a little-bit-risky-during-these COVID19 times.

I ordered The Beef Noodle Soup that was so dark and richly-redolent of
    savory-beef-broth flavor and Chili Oil too, that each slurp of soup was a blessing.
    We also ordered the MaLa Dry Pot with Chicken and Shrimp that was
    so complex in flavors, that it will be now added to my Top Dishes
    to order when in suburban Westmont.
    Rounding out our "left-over-laden" meal for two was The Combo Fried Pancake
    masterfully stir-fried and unbelievably tasty for a Suburban Chinese Restaurant.
    (if these folks were located in Chinatown- I'd bet there'd be a line to get in,
    and Tony Hu would be wondering :wink: what he needed to do
    to grab some of those fans!)

Really well prepared Chinese Food with hand-made-Pancake Noodles, makes this place a standout amongst it's peers.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more