LTH Home

Maple Tree Inn Louisiana Brasserie in Blue island

Maple Tree Inn Louisiana Brasserie in Blue island
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 10th, 2011, 2:07 pm
    Post #31 - February 10th, 2011, 2:07 pm Post #31 - February 10th, 2011, 2:07 pm
    Anyone hit them in the last month or so? Want to get back and try some more ribs...and Brew's.
    Menu off facebook...Order UP
  • Post #32 - February 11th, 2011, 10:35 am
    Post #32 - February 11th, 2011, 10:35 am Post #32 - February 11th, 2011, 10:35 am
    I've been there twice in the past month. Its my new (to me) favorite spot near home. Didn't try the BBQ but the beer selection has been excellent and the seafood is good as well.

They keep their beer list up to date on beermenus.com.
  • Post #33 - October 17th, 2011, 3:10 pm
    Post #33 - October 17th, 2011, 3:10 pm Post #33 - October 17th, 2011, 3:10 pm
    I live on the south side so this place has been on my list for a while. My wife and I were able to make it there this past Fri. night, and I thought the food was really good overall; the service was excellent; and the beer selection/knowledge was tremendous. Before I go into some more detail, here's a caveat: I AM NOT a cajun food aficionado. So, I can't say how the food compares relative to other joints, or how the food has been in the past.

Anyway, we started with the Hickory Buttered BBQ Shrimp appetizer. I asked the waitress about her favorite item on the menu and she did not hesitate at suggesting these. We decided on the appetizer instead of the entree. Keeping in mind the caveat above, I thought the sauce in this dish was one of the most flavorful sauces I've ever had--no joke. It had the perfect combo of spiciness, sweetness, and smokiness. It was so good that we asked if they'd sell us a little bit to go, which they did. Frankly, this was the best thing we had all night. I didn't detect any "fake" liquid smoke-like taste, as someone on this thread complained of. Moreover, the smokiness was subtle, and it's been my experience that liquid smoke is pretty powerful stuff. Nonetheless, awesome sauce imho.

They provide some complimentary rustic bread and little cornbread muffins which are accompanied by a house-made chive or scallion cream cheese and butter. There was nothing overly special with these, but I mention it because the bread did come in handy to sop up the remaining sauce from our shrimp dish. I know there a complaint upthread about not getting enough sauce--we didn't have that problem.

For the entrees, we went with the Bouillabaisse and Blackened Sea Scallops. The Bouillabaisse was tasty, but it needed a little kick. It wasn't bland or anything like that, but I have a spicier palette. I mentioned this to the waitress and she brought over 2 different types/styles of Louisiana (not the brand) hot sauces. I didn't want to mess with the Bouillabaisse too much so I just put in a few drops of each. This did the trick and it was perfect. I later spoke with the owner, Katie (Charlie Orr's daughter--he unfortunately passed away last year) and it turns out that she loves the Bouillabaisse, but finds the need to doctor it up a little in the same way. All of the seafood in the Bouillabaisse was great.

The scallop dish was solid. The scallops themselves were perfectly cooked and tasted very fresh; although the seasoning used to blacken the scallops needed a little salt. One of the reasons we chose this dish is because it comes with a creamed brie sauce, which we both wanted to try. Although the sauce was tasty, there was nothing overwhelming about it. Finally, the dish came with sweet potato fries, which I didn't expect a ton from--after all they're sweet potato fries, right? Actually, they were awesome--the best I've ever had.

The beer selection was really good. They also let you try any beer on the menu before ordering a glass, which I always appreciate. My favorite [that I hadn't had before] was Mikkeller Nugget Single Hop IPA.

All-in-all, it was a great time. There was live music when we got there, which we really enjoyed. Although it wasn't very crowded, the people there definitely seemed to be enjoying themselves. The service was great, and as I mentioned above, Katie Orr the owner stopped by our table to chat. She wanted to know about our dining experience, was open to criticisms, and was genuinely interested in attracting more local patrons.

I'll definitely be going back.
    "Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens..."
    - Wyatt Earp, Tombstone
  • Post #34 - October 17th, 2011, 4:06 pm
    Post #34 - October 17th, 2011, 4:06 pm Post #34 - October 17th, 2011, 4:06 pm
    YUMMMMM! I have not been there in soo long! I cant remember exactly what I had last time I was there (I know it was delicious) but there was a really bad storm that night and after we finished dinner we were told by the amazing owner to stay and have a drink until the rain/thunder/lightning stopped. That made such an impact on me! It is such a comfortable place, I think I know where Im going this weekend! Great now my mouth is watering and I havent even started dinner yet. :lol:
    "Why, then the world's mine oyster, Which I with sword will open."
    William Shakespeare
  • Post #35 - October 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm
    Post #35 - October 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm Post #35 - October 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm
    Cbot wrote:Went there last night for my first time, and had a GREAT time...100%!
    Had the Ribs and my girl had the scallops?
    Ribs were killer great smoke flavor and tender!! Scallops were yummy she loved em!
    This place was one of the BEST restaurants I have been into around town.
    If ya all aint been there yet or it’s been awhile you MUST go! NO JOKE.
    The old world charm of this place, endless brew’s on tap, sweet mixed drinks and laid back stay long talk, eat and drink theme of this place is awesome!! :lol:

Be sure to report back!
    "Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens..."
    - Wyatt Earp, Tombstone
  • Post #36 - August 24th, 2018, 4:04 am
    Post #36 - August 24th, 2018, 4:04 am Post #36 - August 24th, 2018, 4:04 am
    Per WGN TV - extra alarm fire at the restaurant.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #37 - August 24th, 2018, 9:15 am
    Post #37 - August 24th, 2018, 9:15 am Post #37 - August 24th, 2018, 9:15 am
    Wow, big bummer, and right the heels of this recent praise . . .

50 Best Southern Restaurants in America: OpenTable Releases Its Latest List

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #38 - August 24th, 2018, 9:19 am
    Post #38 - August 24th, 2018, 9:19 am Post #38 - August 24th, 2018, 9:19 am
    Fire damages Maple Tree Inn, historic restaurant in Blue Island; 'we will rebuild,' owners say (Tribune)

:cry:
  • Post #39 - September 27th, 2018, 7:18 pm
    Post #39 - September 27th, 2018, 7:18 pm Post #39 - September 27th, 2018, 7:18 pm
    Blue Island's Maple Tree Inn to tear down fire-damaged building, reopen at temporary site
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html
  • Post #40 - August 27th, 2019, 8:43 pm
    Post #40 - August 27th, 2019, 8:43 pm Post #40 - August 27th, 2019, 8:43 pm
    Maple Tree Inn moving to Homewood after many years in Blue Island

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
  • Post #41 - August 29th, 2019, 6:40 am
    Post #41 - August 29th, 2019, 6:40 am Post #41 - August 29th, 2019, 6:40 am
    Award-winning Cajun food is coming to Homewood.

New Home
  • Post #42 - August 29th, 2019, 12:02 pm
    Post #42 - August 29th, 2019, 12:02 pm Post #42 - August 29th, 2019, 12:02 pm
    I wish them the best of luck on their move!

I just hope the change from a nice intimate, quirky place to a formal restaurant doesn’t affect them.

I remember when Chuck’s Southern Comforts moved. Just wasn’t the same anymore.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #43 - December 13th, 2019, 6:24 am
    Post #43 - December 13th, 2019, 6:24 am Post #43 - December 13th, 2019, 6:24 am
    Maple Tree Inn receives financial incentives, plans to open in January
    Maple Tree Inn is getting ready for a January opening.

Owners Katie and Erich Wennberg told Homewood village board members they are busy working with two consultants to get the restaurant ready for diners. They have not announced an official opening date, but promised it would be sometime in mid-January.

During a presentation before the board Tuesday, Dec. 10, Katie Wennberg told trustees “the final specs are ready to go.”

The longtime Blue Island landmark is moving to 18849 Dixie Highway, the former location of the The Cottage on Dixie restaurant.
  • Post #44 - December 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am
    Post #44 - December 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am Post #44 - December 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am
    We are happily waiting for them to open. I'm not sure what they are doing to the inside of the restaurant, unless they are removing the private wine dinner room. I thought it was a nice space when The Cottage was open. I will say that I will not miss that long journey downstairs to the restroom area in Blue Island!

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #45 - December 23rd, 2019, 7:36 pm
    Post #45 - December 23rd, 2019, 7:36 pm Post #45 - December 23rd, 2019, 7:36 pm
    Just FYI, the restaurant formerly in that location in Homewood - "The Cottage on Dixie" - is not to be confused with the restaurant named "The Cottage" in Calumet City. The latter was run by the late chef-owner Carolyn Buster and was pretty much the best restaurant in the southern suburbs during the time it was open (1974-1996). I still remember loving my couple of dinners there.
  • Post #46 - December 27th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    Post #46 - December 27th, 2019, 5:13 pm Post #46 - December 27th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    Maple Tree Inn to open in Homewood next month:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/opinion/ct-sta-slowik-maple-tree-inn-reopening-st-1227-20191226-lx44yomivfcfhpnmvu4exe77ea-story.html
  • Post #47 - January 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am
    Post #47 - January 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am Post #47 - January 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am
    Maple Tree Inn Reopening In Homewood
    HOMEWOOD, IL — Famed restaurant Maple Tree Inn will raise the curtain in Homewood with "soft openings" and private affairs in mid-January 2020, owners Katie and Erich Wennberg announced.

Following final presentations to the Homewood Village Board last month, the couple declared: "The final specs are ready to go."

With completed acquisition of The Cottage in Homewood at 18849 Dixie Highway, the Maple Tree Inn strategically initiates a new era of serving award-winning Cajun and Creole cuisine.

"Dress rehearsal begins in mid-January with private gatherings of community leaders and restaurant industry people who have supported this remarkable and swift transition," said Erich Wennberg. "Our long-term vision for success requires us to get it right immediately, and our consultants and peers will be our harshest judges."
  • Post #48 - January 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am
    Post #48 - January 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am Post #48 - January 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am
    I remember when...

Chuck's Southern Comforts
    6501 W 79th St, Burbank

... upgraded his space. Some of the charm was lost, long gone were the times when Chuck would step out of the kitchen to survey the room. Talk with customers.

Also gone recently are the Mexican specials (he is a Rick Bayless alumni) from the menu. :(

The pull of having a full service bar is strong.

I hope (pray) it works out for them.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #49 - February 5th, 2020, 11:20 am
    Post #49 - February 5th, 2020, 11:20 am Post #49 - February 5th, 2020, 11:20 am
    Maple Tree Inn set to open Friday
    The Maple Tree Inn will officially open Friday, Feb. 7, in Homewood. A ribbon cutting is being organized and may come as soon as next week.

18849 Dixie Highway
    Homewood.Il

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more