LTH Home

Authentic Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich

Authentic Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 5
  • Authentic Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich

Post #1 - June 20th, 2006, 2:29 pm
    Post #1 - June 20th, 2006, 2:29 pm Post #1 - June 20th, 2006, 2:29 pm
    Besides Philly's Best, which is quite good, where in Chicago, can you get a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, that is at least close to what you find in Philly?
  • Post #2 - June 20th, 2006, 2:35 pm
    Post #2 - June 20th, 2006, 2:35 pm Post #2 - June 20th, 2006, 2:35 pm
    This comes up every now and again, and no one has been able to offer anything beyond Philly's Best in those threads.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #3 - June 20th, 2006, 4:56 pm
    Post #3 - June 20th, 2006, 4:56 pm Post #3 - June 20th, 2006, 4:56 pm
    Just wanted to add that although the cheesesteak at Philly's is both tasty and vaguely authentic, the Cheesy Beef sandwich (order it on garlic bread!) is so much better as to make the cheesesteak completely moot. I have had cheesesteak-ordering friends look like they wanted to cry after tasting my sandwich and then going back to their own.
  • Post #4 - June 20th, 2006, 8:37 pm
    Post #4 - June 20th, 2006, 8:37 pm Post #4 - June 20th, 2006, 8:37 pm
    Over the past several months, Mrs. JiLS and I have become quite the connoisseurs of Philly's Best. First of all, allow me to express my dismay that they have chosen to set up shop in a car wash on Milwaukee Avenue. Yep, that's right, Philly's Best's first expansion was to take over the space of a snack shop in a full-service car wash. That took guts. And they have done wonderful things with that space, making the best gringo style sandwiches in Logan Square. One of the things I like about Philly's Best is that they actually have complete, thought-through recipes for a large variety of sandwiches and non-sandwich treats. The menu is deep and rewards repeat visits. It is not just a litany of repetition or slight variations on a theme. They do a very good Philly cheesesteak (I say that not ever having had a cheesesteak in Philadelphia, but based on the fact that it is GOOD, and that despite the fact that eating one inevitably results in serious GI troubles and heartburn, I continue to eat them with rabid impunity). The Logan Square Phillly's Best also does a respectable Italian Beef (although I've only had it delivered, and therefore not dipped, the meat is very well seasoned, doesn't taste like it came out of a box, etc.) And, yes, the Cheesy Beef is very, very tasty. As I've posted elsewhere, the cheese fritter appetizer is one of the best things I've eaten (lately). The service is also fantastic; lots of fun talking to these guys (recently got into a discussion of Tastykakes and the availability of them at Sunset Foods in the north burbs; I've yet to live up to my promise to be a mule for them, although it would beat paying the $1.19 per cake PB charges.) Hell, I almost nominated the Logan Square Philly's Best for the GNR; but for the lack of traffic on the board, I would've. It's really that good.
    JiLS
  • Post #5 - June 20th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    Post #5 - June 20th, 2006, 8:57 pm Post #5 - June 20th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    I've always frequented the Philly's Best on Belmont and I think it's just about as good, or as good, as the ones in Philly. The Philly cheesesteak has always been one of my favorite sandwiches (along with a good hoagie, or a sub sandwich as it's generally known here in Chicago). But Philly's Best may not be as appreciated in Chicago, I think largely because of the presence of the Italian beef sandwich, which is the preference of most Chicagoans (for that matter, I think I might prefer a Johnny's Italian beef sandwich slightly ahead of a Philly cheesesteak).

But one thing that I don't think any Chicagoans appreciate (or appreciate enough), even the ones who like Philly's Best, are the Tastycake Butterscotch Krimpets, which are carried at Philly's best -- I urge you to try them . . . you too will fall in love.
  • Post #6 - June 20th, 2006, 9:05 pm
    Post #6 - June 20th, 2006, 9:05 pm Post #6 - June 20th, 2006, 9:05 pm
    BR wrote:But one thing that I don't think any Chicagoans appreciate (or appreciate enough), even the ones who like Philly's Best, are the Tastycake Butterscotch Krimpets, which are carried at Philly's best -- I urge you to try them . . . you too will fall in love.

Hasty, BR; not ANY Chicagoans? Please re-read my post, above. I've been a huge fan of Tasty Kakes for 15 years, dating back to visits to ex-Mrs. JiLS's mother's home in Hawley, PA. Krimpets of all varieties are excellent; even better (although I appreciate some my object to them as baroque novelties) are the Peanut Butter Candy Kakes. Although those Koffee Kakes are also pretty darned amazing. While I was living in Libertyville (1998-01), the Sunset Foods started selling Tasty Kakes. I was thrilled; but imagine how much more thrilled I was to find a to-my-door delivery system for Tasty Kakes, i.e., from Philly's Best. But if you don't want to drive to the north burbs or don't live in the PB delivery area, you can always order your Tasty Kakes Online.
    JiLS
  • Post #7 - June 20th, 2006, 9:19 pm
    Post #7 - June 20th, 2006, 9:19 pm Post #7 - June 20th, 2006, 9:19 pm
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:
    BR wrote:But one thing that I don't think any Chicagoans appreciate (or appreciate enough), even the ones who like Philly's Best, are the Tastycake Butterscotch Krimpets, which are carried at Philly's best -- I urge you to try them . . . you too will fall in love.

Hasty, BR not ANY Chicaogoans? Please re-read my post, above. I've been a huge fan of Tasty Kakes for 15 years, dating back to visits to ex-Mrs. JiLS's mother's home in Hawley, PA. Krimpets of all varieties are excellent; even better (although I appreciate some my object to them as baroque novelties) are the Peanut Butter Candy Kakes. Although those Koffee Kakes are also pretty darned amazing. While I was living in Libertyville (1998-01), the Sunset Foods started selling Tasty Kakes. I was thrilled; but imagine how much more thrilled I was to find a to-my-door delivery system for Tasty Kakes, i.e., from Philly's Best. But if you don't want to drive to the north burbs or don't live in the PB delivery area, you can always order your Tasty Kakes Online.

Hasty? Perhaps. I like the Peanut Butter Tastycakes too . . . a lot! But if I had to pick one to have with me on a deserted island . . . definitely butterscotch krimpets! :lol:
  • Post #8 - June 21st, 2006, 12:11 am
    Post #8 - June 21st, 2006, 12:11 am Post #8 - June 21st, 2006, 12:11 am
    JimInLoganSquare wrote: First of all, allow me to express my dismay that they have chosen to set up shop in a car wash on Milwaukee Avenue.

BR wrote: I've always frequented the Philly's Best on Belmont . . .

I, too, have always gone to the one on Belmont. Although now that I think about it, it’s been a while—not since their move a few doors west (from 855 to 907 W Belmont). Does anyone know how the Belmont and Milwaukee branches compare?

Mister Beefhead wrote:Just wanted to add that although the cheesesteak at Philly's is both tasty and vaguely authentic, the Cheesy Beef sandwich (order it on garlic bread!) is so much better as to make the cheesesteak completely moot.

JimInLoganSquare wrote: And, yes, the Cheesy Beef is very, very tasty.

I never tried the Cheesy Beef. Could someone explain how it differs from a cheesesteak?

One little thing I like about Philly’s Best is the way they wrap the takeout sandwiches in many layers of newsprint. It keeps them warm but lets the sandwiches breathe so they don’t get soggy.

This deserves a post of its own (I’m working on it!) but the south and west sides have long had a number of “Philly Steak” stands. In the past few years the number has exploded with Baba’s Famous Steaks and Lemonade shops sprouting up everywhere. There are even imitators (I think) like Papa’s Steaks. Note that these are Chicago-style Philly Steaks.
  • Post #9 - June 21st, 2006, 6:36 am
    Post #9 - June 21st, 2006, 6:36 am Post #9 - June 21st, 2006, 6:36 am
    Let's not forget Philadelphia's other great contribution to low-brow cuisine, the appetizingly named scrapple. mmmmmmmmmm, scrapple.
  • Post #10 - June 21st, 2006, 7:01 am
    Post #10 - June 21st, 2006, 7:01 am Post #10 - June 21st, 2006, 7:01 am
    Rene G wrote:I never tried the Cheesy Beef. Could someone explain how it differs from a cheesesteak?

A Cheesy Beef is just an Italian Beef with cheese (white American, I think), baked as an oven grinder. It's pretty darned tasty, although in my opinion you should request a light application of the cheese; they tend to use more than I like.
    JiLS
  • Post #11 - June 21st, 2006, 7:05 am
    Post #11 - June 21st, 2006, 7:05 am Post #11 - June 21st, 2006, 7:05 am
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:A Cheesy Beef is just an Italian Beef with cheese (white American, I think), baked as an oven grinder. It's pretty darned tasty, although in my opinion you should request a light application of the cheese; they tend to use more than I like.

In my experience, many Italian beef joints serve the "cheesy" option including one of my favorites, Max's on Western. I reference the cheesy beef as an alternative to a cheesesteak in one of the other cheesteak threads linked above.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #12 - June 21st, 2006, 7:27 am
    Post #12 - June 21st, 2006, 7:27 am Post #12 - June 21st, 2006, 7:27 am
    even better (although I appreciate some my object to them as baroque novelties) are the Peanut Butter Candy Kakes...

Is it just my imagination (running away with me), or did those used to be called Tandy Takes in my Baltimore youth? (Not that Tandy Takes makes any sense, but that's what I remember.)
  • Post #13 - June 21st, 2006, 7:30 am
    Post #13 - June 21st, 2006, 7:30 am Post #13 - June 21st, 2006, 7:30 am
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:Krimpets of all varieties are excellent; even better (although I appreciate some my object to them as baroque novelties) are the Peanut Butter Candy Kakes.

Man, I just finished my last package of PB Candy Kakes the other day because I had my mom send boxes of them so we could use them as wedding favors! I was born and raised in NE philly, and one of my friend's dad was a TastyKake delivery driver. He used to give us the slightly smooshed ones for free!
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #14 - June 21st, 2006, 4:26 pm
    Post #14 - June 21st, 2006, 4:26 pm Post #14 - June 21st, 2006, 4:26 pm
    By the way, in one of the other Cheesesteak threads someone has asked about the steaks at Clark Street Dogs (CSD). On my second day at my new job located at about 2800 Clark I had to walk up to the Chase next to CSD. After I was done at the bank I popped in. Having just moved back from the east coast I was, on one hand happier than a pig in... you know.. to be back to all the wonderful Chicago food, but also, missing east coast chow.
    So against my better judgement, I ordered a "Philly" Cheesesteak. I would not do it again. Now, I like grease but this was nearly inedible. I have no problem with rib tips, cheep chinese, double dipped beef, deep fried anything, but this was in another realm. The bread was drenched with oil, not juice. Also the beef was in little cubes and it didn't seem like it got that way from the proper hacking at large, thin slices of ribeye. It was more like someone took a frozen steak and put it in a woodchipper and threw the outcome on a griddle. Not recomended. Then again, I do take some responsibility too, I wouldn't have ever ordered a "Italian Beef" at a chinese resturant in Boston (if one were ever offered) and I probably shouldn't have ordered a Philly Cheesesteak from Clark Street Dogs.
  • Post #15 - June 21st, 2006, 5:37 pm
    Post #15 - June 21st, 2006, 5:37 pm Post #15 - June 21st, 2006, 5:37 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    even better (although I appreciate some my object to them as baroque novelties) are the Peanut Butter Candy Kakes...

Is it just my imagination (running away with me), or did those used to be called Tandy Takes in my Baltimore youth? (Not that Tandy Takes makes any sense, but that's what I remember.)

No, you aren't crazy. (Read the last line under "Varieties.")
    JiLS
  • Post #16 - June 29th, 2006, 2:35 pm
    Post #16 - June 29th, 2006, 2:35 pm Post #16 - June 29th, 2006, 2:35 pm
    Tastykake fans might be interested in Tastykake ice cream.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #17 - June 29th, 2006, 8:09 pm
    Post #17 - June 29th, 2006, 8:09 pm Post #17 - June 29th, 2006, 8:09 pm
    gleam wrote:Tastykake fans might be interested in Tastykake ice cream.

Oh, I never needed to know that existed....
  • Post #18 - June 30th, 2006, 11:12 am
    Post #18 - June 30th, 2006, 11:12 am Post #18 - June 30th, 2006, 11:12 am
    You can't talk about Philly's Best and not mention the 'seasoned fries'. Really good.
  • Post #19 - August 21st, 2006, 2:29 pm
    Post #19 - August 21st, 2006, 2:29 pm Post #19 - August 21st, 2006, 2:29 pm
    While on a run to grab a variety dinner on Saturday we made a stop at the Philly's Best on Belmont. Its small presence on the street made me pass it by and the first pass but soon I was inside.

After being disappointed at the Iowa State Fair a few weeks ago and bolstered by the recommendation here I was eager to give it a shot.

Placed my order for a large, and seeing it was going to be a while I looked over the menu (did you know that they recommend their Stromboli, next trip) and the memorabilia on the walls.

What I could see it was being prepared the way I have heard, the meat and onions fried together on the grill and the bun placed on top while cooking allowing the bun to soak up some of the stray juices.

After perhaps 10 minutes the meat was placed in the bun, a few slices of white cheddar placed on to, wrapped and bagged.

Once at dinner my son commented that there was a 'White Castle' flavor to the sandwich which my wife agreed (she is not a fan of sliders) and I thought the sandwich was great. The meat tender, the onions cooked well and the bun, nice and soft.

My only expectation was that I though they used a Cheese Wiz type of product for the cheese but the white cheddar was just fine.

Philly's Best
    907 W Belmont
    773-525-7900
  • Post #20 - August 21st, 2006, 2:39 pm
    Post #20 - August 21st, 2006, 2:39 pm Post #20 - August 21st, 2006, 2:39 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:My only expectation was that I though they used a Cheese Wiz type of product for the cheese but the white cheddar was just fine.

They certaintly will comply if you ask. I believe the correct phrase is, "wit wiz." I prefer it this way but opinions vary.

-ramon
  • Post #21 - August 21st, 2006, 2:44 pm
    Post #21 - August 21st, 2006, 2:44 pm Post #21 - August 21st, 2006, 2:44 pm
    To get a cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz, you have to order it "Wiz wit", meaning Cheez Whiz and onions or "Wiz wit out", which is, obviously Cheez Whiz, no onions. I'm not the expert per se, being a Hoosier myself...however, I was given strict instructions how to properly order a cheesesteak by my Philly-bred boyfriend, when I went to Philly for a girls' weekend and was planning on visiting Pat's, which he claimed was the best - and it was fantastic. I enjoyed Philly's Best, but the BF claimed that while the meat was fairly authentic, the bread wasn't the same. Nevertheless, he polised off a large one, no problem. So I suppose it wasn't that bad after all.
    For the record, I know they have Cheez Whiz at Philly's Best, as I had it recently, but they DON'T make you order it that way. :wink:
  • Post #22 - August 21st, 2006, 3:09 pm
    Post #22 - August 21st, 2006, 3:09 pm Post #22 - August 21st, 2006, 3:09 pm
    FWIW... the Dave & Buster's chain uses Amoroso Rolls.

Still doesn't taste the same though.
  • Post #23 - August 21st, 2006, 9:39 pm
    Post #23 - August 21st, 2006, 9:39 pm Post #23 - August 21st, 2006, 9:39 pm
    Just had the real deal for lunch today in suburban Philadelphia (Garrett Hill). Other than Pat's and a few other places that cater to tourists, the default cheese at Philly steakeries is White American which, I'm told, is made from more Swiss and less cheddar than the yellow stuff we get here. Also, it's decidedly creamier tasting than yellow American.

Out east, it's sold as New Yorker American cheese. At least once a year, I try to bring home a five pound block.
  • Post #24 - August 21st, 2006, 9:52 pm
    Post #24 - August 21st, 2006, 9:52 pm Post #24 - August 21st, 2006, 9:52 pm
    I've seen 5-lb blocks of white american cheese at Caputo Cheese Market out in Melrose Park.

No need to try to get it past airport security :)
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #25 - August 21st, 2006, 10:14 pm
    Post #25 - August 21st, 2006, 10:14 pm Post #25 - August 21st, 2006, 10:14 pm
    gleam wrote:I've seen 5-lb blocks of white american cheese at Caputo Cheese Market out in Melrose Park.

No need to try to get it past airport security :)

Last time I checked, you could also get Land O Lakes White American at Dominick's, which is my husband's go-to grilled cheese-making cheese.

Is the eastern kind really different? If so, then I guess I was raised on the "eastern" stuff and haven't noticed a difference...
  • Post #26 - August 21st, 2006, 10:42 pm
    Post #26 - August 21st, 2006, 10:42 pm Post #26 - August 21st, 2006, 10:42 pm
    Paul SL wrote: White American which, I'm told, is made from more Swiss and less cheddar than the yellow stuff we get here. Also, it's decidedly creamier tasting than yellow American.

I just watched a non-memorable show (I can't even remember what channel it was on) that talked about the difference between the white and yellow American Cheeselike Food product. Basically, they said that the only difference between the two was food coloring. They backed up that claim with a blind taste test where every single person couldn't tell the difference between the two colors of "cheese".
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #27 - August 22nd, 2006, 6:30 am
    Post #27 - August 22nd, 2006, 6:30 am Post #27 - August 22nd, 2006, 6:30 am
    stevez wrote:I just watched a non-memorable show (I can't even remember what channel it was on) that talked about the difference between the white and yellow American Cheeselike Food product.

Steve,

Ham on the Street with George Duran, it's on the Food Network.

If memory serves George Duran said the main (only) difference between white American cheese and yellow American cheese is annatto for coloring.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #28 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:22 am
    Post #28 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:22 am Post #28 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:22 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    If memory serves George Duran said the main (only) difference between white American cheese and yellow American cheese is annatto for coloring.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Yeah. That was the show. I remember him talking about annato when it comes to yellow cheddar, but I'm not sure he ever said annatto was used in American Cheeselike Product. I was under the impression that it was some type of dye/coloring. That would be more in keeping with the nature of the product.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #29 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:30 am
    Post #29 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:30 am Post #29 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:30 am
    stevez wrote:I was under the impression that it was some type of dye/coloring.

Steve,

Right, annatto seed is used as a dye/coloring in both cheddar, which starts out life as white, and American cheese.

It's also the stuff that gives the lovely brick colored hue to Cochinita Pibil. (Annatto = Achiote)

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #30 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:58 am
    Post #30 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:58 am Post #30 - August 22nd, 2006, 7:58 am
    Actually, I think the annatto color usually comes from the pulp around the seeds. The coloring agent is bixin, which becomes norbixin whn extracted with an alkali such as sodium hydroxide. Annatto is also used to color butter, but is extracted with a vegetable oil such as rape-seed so it will be fat soluble. You can also color cheese with beta-carotene or paprika.

Also, at Pat's King of Steaks, you can say either "whiz wit" or "cheese wit" to get Cheez Whiz on your steak sandwich.
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more