LTH Home

Orange Garden, Ozzie & Harriet Chinese

Orange Garden, Ozzie & Harriet Chinese
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am
    Post #31 - October 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am Post #31 - October 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am
    The Orange Garden delivers! For some reason I thought they didn't, or didn't to my neighborhood. But a flyer in today's Tribune says they do. (Foster to Diversey, Kimball to Lake Shore Drive.)

Yay.

I love that forties picture, and how one element is the same when everything else has changed.
  • Post #32 - October 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am
    Post #32 - October 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am Post #32 - October 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am
    That's a recent development. Within the past 6-8 months.
  • Post #33 - February 10th, 2012, 8:25 pm
    Post #33 - February 10th, 2012, 8:25 pm Post #33 - February 10th, 2012, 8:25 pm
    Went to Orange Garden today. Husband was reading lth last night, an old thread about Filipino food and that put him in a Chinese food mood while I was jonesing for Thai (which we will do next week). Don't ask me how that happened. Anyhoo, we'd only been there once before about two years ago and liked it well enough. I have friends who patronize the place regularly and since I am a sucker for old school deco decor they knew I would love it. And I do! It's not food that gives off flavorful orgasms with every bite but it is decent, good quality, great price and the staff working was super friendly and nice. I always appreciate a great staff. We liked the egg drop soup which was nice and hearty on a cold day like today. The shrimp egg rolls are pretty good. My husband adored the crab rangoon while I thought they were passable (I make my own at home so let's just say I prefer mine always). I liked the sesame chicken well enough. The chicken was nice and moist while the sauce gave it flavor (lots of Chinese places I have had chicken in recently have always been rubbery). Good solid food. I wouldn't mind going back.

Next week: Spoon Thai. Can't wait.
  • Post #34 - April 28th, 2022, 3:46 pm
    Post #34 - April 28th, 2022, 3:46 pm Post #34 - April 28th, 2022, 3:46 pm
    You can bid on the historic Orange Garden neon sign on April 30th according to Donley Auctions:

https://www.donleyauctions.com

(Dinkel's and Chicago Joe's also, apparently).
  • Post #35 - April 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm
    Post #35 - April 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm Post #35 - April 28th, 2022, 4:44 pm
    Santander wrote:You can bid on the historic Orange Garden neon sign on April 30th according to Donley Auctions:

I did not phone, though Orange Garden seems to still be an ongoing business with no indication anywhere it is closing.

I wonder if they believe there is big money people might pay for this sign, so they put it on the market to see what it may fetch.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #36 - April 30th, 2022, 2:07 pm
    Post #36 - April 30th, 2022, 2:07 pm Post #36 - April 30th, 2022, 2:07 pm
    Santander wrote:You can bid on the historic Orange Garden neon sign on April 30th according to Donley Auctions:

Sold.
    https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/ ... 67344BDA88
  • Post #37 - May 1st, 2022, 4:45 am
    Post #37 - May 1st, 2022, 4:45 am Post #37 - May 1st, 2022, 4:45 am
    From the article link which Dave148 posted:

Though Orange Garden, 1942 W. Irving Park Rd., remains open for business, its manager said they’re looking into selling next year because the owner wants to retire and the sign hasn’t been working since the months before the pandemic in 2020.

“We don’t want the sign to go to waste,” said the manager, who said he did not want his name used because he did not want the publicity. “So we decided to sell it in the auction before we sell this place to a company that trashes it.”
  • Post #38 - May 3rd, 2022, 5:31 pm
    Post #38 - May 3rd, 2022, 5:31 pm Post #38 - May 3rd, 2022, 5:31 pm
    Orange Garden Isn’t Closing — But It Is Up For Sale After Iconic Neon Sign Is Auctioned For $17K.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/05/03 ... d-for-17k/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #39 - May 6th, 2022, 4:42 am
    Post #39 - May 6th, 2022, 4:42 am Post #39 - May 6th, 2022, 4:42 am
    Iconic neon sign at Orange Garden restaurant winds up in surprising hands after auction.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #40 - May 6th, 2022, 7:52 am
    Post #40 - May 6th, 2022, 7:52 am Post #40 - May 6th, 2022, 7:52 am
    Dave148 wrote:Iconic neon sign at Orange Garden restaurant winds up in surprising hands after auction.

Hey Dave,

Would you please post an excerpt for those of us who don't pay for Trib access?

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #41 - May 6th, 2022, 7:55 am
    Post #41 - May 6th, 2022, 7:55 am Post #41 - May 6th, 2022, 7:55 am
    Chicago Tribune wrote:The Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan used to joke to his wife, Chloe Mendel, that if she ever wanted to buy him a present, it should be the neon sign reading “Chop Suey” in bold letters outside Orange Garden restaurant on a bustling stretch of Irving Park Road in the North Center neighborhood.

“It was like, ‘Of course you would ask for something I could never deliver,” Mendel said Thursday.

But then, suddenly, she could.
    In a flurry of bidding that Mendel said didn’t seem to last even five minutes, she came out on top. Her winning bid: $17,000. Before speaking with the Chicago Tribune, the buyer had been anonymous.
    The sign will be removed from Orange Garden, 1942 W. Irving Park Road, Sunday and taken to Madame ZuZu’s, Corgan and Mendel’s vegan cafe, tea shop and performance venue in Highland Park. The shop also sells used records from Corgan’s collection.

The sign hasn’t been lit since 2020, but Mendel said it will be restored and displayed at Madame ZuZu’s, likely inside the shop.
    An Orange Garden manager told the Tribune the restaurant will likely close next year as the owner prepares to retire. The sign, double-sided and made of porcelain, is believed to have hung outside the restaurant since 1932.

“We don’t want the sign to go to waste,” the manager told the Tribune. “So we decided to sell it in the auction before we sell this place to a company that trashes it.”

Nice that it'll still be available for the public to see.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #42 - May 6th, 2022, 8:12 am
    Post #42 - May 6th, 2022, 8:12 am Post #42 - May 6th, 2022, 8:12 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Iconic neon sign at Orange Garden restaurant winds up in surprising hands after auction.

Hey Dave,

Thanks,

=R=

My Personal Assistant beat me to it. 8)
  • Post #43 - May 6th, 2022, 8:55 am
    Post #43 - May 6th, 2022, 8:55 am Post #43 - May 6th, 2022, 8:55 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Chicago Tribune wrote:The Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan used to joke to his wife, Chloe Mendel, that if she ever wanted to buy him a present, it should be the neon sign reading “Chop Suey” in bold letters outside Orange Garden restaurant on a bustling stretch of Irving Park Road in the North Center neighborhood.

“It was like, ‘Of course you would ask for something I could never deliver,” Mendel said Thursday.

But then, suddenly, she could.
    In a flurry of bidding that Mendel said didn’t seem to last even five minutes, she came out on top. Her winning bid: $17,000. Before speaking with the Chicago Tribune, the buyer had been anonymous.
    The sign will be removed from Orange Garden, 1942 W. Irving Park Road, Sunday and taken to Madame ZuZu’s, Corgan and Mendel’s vegan cafe, tea shop and performance venue in Highland Park. The shop also sells used records from Corgan’s collection.

The sign hasn’t been lit since 2020, but Mendel said it will be restored and displayed at Madame ZuZu’s, likely inside the shop.
    An Orange Garden manager told the Tribune the restaurant will likely close next year as the owner prepares to retire. The sign, double-sided and made of porcelain, is believed to have hung outside the restaurant since 1932.

“We don’t want the sign to go to waste,” the manager told the Tribune. “So we decided to sell it in the auction before we sell this place to a company that trashes it.”

Nice that it'll still be available for the public to see.

Thanks, Joel.

=R=
  • Post #44 - May 6th, 2022, 12:04 pm
    Post #44 - May 6th, 2022, 12:04 pm Post #44 - May 6th, 2022, 12:04 pm
    I had just opened the article when I saw Ronnie's request, it was easy enough to edit down.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #45 - May 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm
    Post #45 - May 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm Post #45 - May 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm
    JoelF wrote:I had just opened the article when I saw Ronnie's request, it was easy enough to edit down.

That’s what I pay you the big bucks for. :lol:
  • Post #46 - May 6th, 2022, 12:57 pm
    Post #46 - May 6th, 2022, 12:57 pm Post #46 - May 6th, 2022, 12:57 pm
    Hi,

Oddly I was contacted if I had bought it, which is not anything I would have begun to consider.

I did think it could have been another Highland Parker who collects cars and has a replica of Hot Doug's in his display room. Or it could have been a neon collector in Las Vegas. My Dad was tickled it was yet another HP resident with a public space, so he can visit it.

Dad believes his first Chinese meal was at Orange Garden.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #47 - May 6th, 2022, 9:20 pm
    Post #47 - May 6th, 2022, 9:20 pm Post #47 - May 6th, 2022, 9:20 pm
    To see Tribune articles without a subscription, check your library's web site. They probably have the Tribune database. Articles are available the next day.
  • Post #48 - May 7th, 2022, 4:09 pm
    Post #48 - May 7th, 2022, 4:09 pm Post #48 - May 7th, 2022, 4:09 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hey Dave,

Thanks,

=R=

I see that you have joined me in believing that Alden does not deserve our money.
  • Post #49 - May 7th, 2022, 5:49 pm
    Post #49 - May 7th, 2022, 5:49 pm Post #49 - May 7th, 2022, 5:49 pm
    lougord99 wrote:

Thanks,

=R=

I see that you have joined me in believing that Alden does not deserve our money.

Not quite so directly intentional. I decided after the last round of mass firings/lay-offs of established, long-time journalists, that it was no longer worth the money. So, maybe we're saying the same thing?

=R=
  • Post #50 - May 8th, 2022, 11:52 am
    Post #50 - May 8th, 2022, 11:52 am Post #50 - May 8th, 2022, 11:52 am
    Thanks,
    =R=
    I second that motion.

Yes, I can open my library's website, go to the Research page, scroll down to Chicago Tribune archives, and do a keyword search for Orange Garden to get to this article. But maybe even one sentence of context here would help me decide if that was worth the trouble.

p.s., re my other post concerning Alden Capital, it is just another sign of the company's contempt for its potential local audience that it only permits archive search, rather than full, real-time, online access, via Chicago-area public libraries --- unlike the New York Times and Washington Post, for example.
    Last edited by Katie on May 8th, 2022, 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #51 - May 8th, 2022, 11:55 am
    Post #51 - May 8th, 2022, 11:55 am Post #51 - May 8th, 2022, 11:55 am
    lougord99 wrote:I see that you have joined me in believing that Alden does not deserve our money.

I sure have, especially after reading all about it in The Atlantic.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #52 - May 8th, 2022, 11:56 am
    Post #52 - May 8th, 2022, 11:56 am Post #52 - May 8th, 2022, 11:56 am
    Thanks from me too, Joel.

I am glad to see the sign will move to Madame Zuzu's, which I did not know had moved from Ravinia to downtown Highland Park, also good info.
  • Post #53 - May 8th, 2022, 11:57 am
    Post #53 - May 8th, 2022, 11:57 am Post #53 - May 8th, 2022, 11:57 am
    Katie wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Hey Dave,
    Thanks,
    =R=

I second that motion.

Yes, I can open my library's website, go to the Research page, scroll down to Chicago Tribune archives, and do a keyword search for Orange Garden to get to this article. But maybe even one sentence of context here would help me decide if that was worth the trouble.

Yes, it's always courteous to include an excerpt with a link (which Dave usually does), regardless of the source.

=R=
  • Post #54 - May 8th, 2022, 1:46 pm
    Post #54 - May 8th, 2022, 1:46 pm Post #54 - May 8th, 2022, 1:46 pm
    Hey there folks. As some of you may know, I earn a buck as a news writer at WGN-TV. We're doing a story today on the Orange Garden sign. We need a clean still image we can put on our 5pm newscast.

If anyone has one, we'll give you an onscreen photo credit when it runs. Let me know if you have something we can use, and I'll let you know through a PM how to send it to me.

Thanks,
    Buddy
  • Post #55 - May 23rd, 2022, 5:29 pm
    Post #55 - May 23rd, 2022, 5:29 pm Post #55 - May 23rd, 2022, 5:29 pm
    Katie wrote:Thanks from me too, Joel.

I am glad to see the sign will move to Madame Zuzu's, which I did not know had moved from Ravinia to downtown Highland Park, also good info.

The sign is in a crate and you can see it inside the front of Madame Zuzu's.
  • Post #56 - May 23rd, 2022, 5:32 pm
    Post #56 - May 23rd, 2022, 5:32 pm Post #56 - May 23rd, 2022, 5:32 pm
    Orange Garden, Chicago’s oldest Chinese restaurant, has a long history, with a gangster legend, an iconic neon sign and a family hoping to preserve it

Orange Garden, the oldest Chinese restaurant in Chicago, which recently sold its iconic neon sign, and was reportedly selling next year, may not be for sale after all.

“I don’t want to sell,” said owner Hui Ruan. He spoke in Cantonese, seated in a booth at the historic dining room in the North Center neighborhood. “I’m 72 years old this year. Before, I didn’t want to work anymore, because of my age, and because I’m tired. But now my kids say they really like this restaurant, so I can’t bear to sell it.”

The kids, an adult son and daughter, now manage the business, perhaps best known for Chinese American classics including egg foo young and Chicago-style peanut butter egg rolls.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more