LTH Home

New York, New York Index

New York, New York Index
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - May 8th, 2021, 2:12 pm
    Post #121 - May 8th, 2021, 2:12 pm Post #121 - May 8th, 2021, 2:12 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I keep adding more joints for my main list as well. It's going to be crazy.

You are crazy in the head! I love you :oops: :oops:

You have a favorite of the Chicago joints? I'd pick Jimmy's from that list but have not had Paulie Gee's NY slice yet.

I always thought Jimmy's was the best but IMO Paulie Gee's is a tad better. Obviously gotta have it asap once you order from the menu.
  • Post #122 - May 26th, 2021, 9:36 pm
    Post #122 - May 26th, 2021, 9:36 pm Post #122 - May 26th, 2021, 9:36 pm
    Once you've had Corner Slice, you will of course need ice cream to wash it down. Unfortunately, OddFellows has closed in Gotham West Market. Fortunately, it's been replaced by Mikey Likes It, which I can recommend based on last week's visit. The man has an interesting story, but more importantly the ice cream is quite good.
  • Post #123 - May 26th, 2021, 9:37 pm
    Post #123 - May 26th, 2021, 9:37 pm Post #123 - May 26th, 2021, 9:37 pm
    DKoblesky wrote:On my trip, I was able to get to Dhaulagiri Kitchen. As cilantro stated, delicious and cheap. If I lived near there I would go once or twice a week. Thanks again.

Dhaulagiri Kitchen
    124 Lexington Ave
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 675-7679

Unfortunately, Dhaulagiri Kitchen has closed.
  • Post #124 - June 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm
    Post #124 - June 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm Post #124 - June 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I keep adding more joints for my main list as well. It's going to be crazy.

You are crazy in the head! I love you :oops: :oops:

You have a favorite of the Chicago joints? I'd pick Jimmy's from that list but have not had Paulie Gee's NY slice yet.

I always thought Jimmy's was the best but IMO Paulie Gee's is a tad better. Obviously gotta have it asap once you order from the menu.
    Sorry I forgot to check in on this thread. Jimmy's is definitely not my favorite for NY style. In fact, while I think it's a very good slice, it was actually making me DOUBT that NY style pizza was really that good because if people around here think it's that good and I don't - then NY style pizza is overrated. I now know that it definitely not the case and I still like Jimmy's (I had a great margherita slice last time). So which is my favorite? I really liked Craft, Paulie Gee's, Boiler Room and Gigio's on Broadway. The only one I was not impressed by was Cafe Luigi of the places I went to recently. Their sauce was weak. I have heard Stopalong is great but not sold by the slice. Up next are Pizza Serio, Nonna's, Pizza Friendly Pizza (Sicilian), and a few more.

cilantro wrote:Once you've had Corner Slice, you will of course need ice cream to wash it down. Unfortunately, OddFellows has closed in Gotham West Market. Fortunately, it's been replaced by Mikey Likes It, which I can recommend based on last week's visit. The man has an interesting story, but more importantly the ice cream is quite good.
    Are you nuts? No more sugar! :lol: There is no way I'm wasting my caloric intake on ice cream vs glorious pizza. Seriously though, I am just about finished with sugar. It's poison, I just lost 50 pounds, I am at a normal BMI again and I'm not going back. Don't get me wrong, I always liked ice cream but I never had a true sweet tooth. I'm the guy who buys a container because I have a sweet craving, eats a little that night and never touches it again. I can't believe people buy full sized chocolate bars and eat the whole thing. I didn't eat sugar for over a full year and didn't miss it. Sugar will be a rare treat from now on.

Cilantro - I really appreciate your help but you are not paying attention. :lol: I am on this trip for pizza and will be trying to hit 4-5 joints a day so no, not "naturally I have to get ice cream if I got to Corner Slice." :wink: I am slightly curious what the cronut of the month at Dominique Ansell will be when I'm out there! :twisted: Di Fara I am absolutely going for the square slice and the regular. We just added a night in Brooklyn to the trip, and another one on the front end in Philadelphia so I can see the Cubs play the Phillies. So this is going to be a 11-12 day trip at the minimum when you factor in the driving. And I might extend it after New York if I want to. I'll decide when I'm out there. Who knows? I'll probably be drained and sick by then.
  • Post #125 - June 6th, 2021, 12:30 am
    Post #125 - June 6th, 2021, 12:30 am Post #125 - June 6th, 2021, 12:30 am
    Ram4 wrote:Cilantro - I really appreciate your help but you are not paying attention. :lol:

Sorry, I didn’t realize! Please ignore that part of the recommendations.

Anyway, here are my rankings of the best chocolate babkas in NYC:

#500:
  • Post #126 - June 6th, 2021, 12:42 am
    Post #126 - June 6th, 2021, 12:42 am Post #126 - June 6th, 2021, 12:42 am
    Hey, Ram4, if you really want to calibrate your palate for the standard NY slice, start with Joe’s. If you’re lukewarm on that, you’re probably not going to be a fan of the style in general. I will say that the Joe’s in the Village is a mite better than the one in Union Square, if only because the former gets so much business that fresh pies are constantly flying out of the oven. Both are quintessential representations of the genre, though.

Can also confirm that Prince Street’s Spicy Spring is as great as ever and the lines are really not too bad these days, *except on weekends, when you should absolutely avoid it*.

If you’re in Brooklyn, Paulie Gee has a slice shop in Greenpoint (his original pizzeria is also there and is great, but it’s Neapolitan, which you’re not a fan of; if you change your mind, Motorino is amazing). Go for the Sicilian slices.
  • Post #127 - June 6th, 2021, 12:34 pm
    Post #127 - June 6th, 2021, 12:34 pm Post #127 - June 6th, 2021, 12:34 pm
    Ram, you lost 50 lbs by cutting out sugar which you did not have much of a taste for before anyway? Seems like there must be more to the story. What else did you cut out and what did you add?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #128 - June 6th, 2021, 1:55 pm
    Post #128 - June 6th, 2021, 1:55 pm Post #128 - June 6th, 2021, 1:55 pm
    Maybe by following the only LTHForum-approved diet plan?
  • Post #129 - June 7th, 2021, 10:01 am
    Post #129 - June 7th, 2021, 10:01 am Post #129 - June 7th, 2021, 10:01 am
    Katie wrote:Ram, you lost 50 lbs by cutting out sugar which you did not have much of a taste for before anyway? Seems like there must be more to the story. What else did you cut out and what did you add?

Folks -

To nip this in the bud, this is not the thread to have this conversation. Thanks.

For the mods,
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more