LTH Home

Cleveland, OH

Cleveland, OH
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 1st, 2013, 9:40 am
    Post #31 - July 1st, 2013, 9:40 am Post #31 - July 1st, 2013, 9:40 am
    What a coincidence--was JUST about to post the same question since I think we may take a little impromptu road trip and use up some Marriott points. Would love some suggestions on good eats! Either that or I'm afraid the SO will have us going to Des Moines (NO, I'm not kidding). TIA.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #32 - July 1st, 2013, 2:06 pm
    Post #32 - July 1st, 2013, 2:06 pm Post #32 - July 1st, 2013, 2:06 pm
    I still think Momocho and Lolita are worth visiting, but for LOTS more info on Cleveland, my friend and serious food blogger Nancy Heller, who lives in Cleveland, has a great blog on eating out in and around Cleveland. The blog includes food from her travels, as well, but mostly focuses on Cleveland -- with lots of details and photos. And since she's the one who got me to both Momocho and Lolita, as well as to The Purple Pig when she came to Chicago, I would feel pretty confident about anything she recommends.

http://funplayingwithfood.blogspot.com/
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #33 - July 7th, 2013, 5:51 pm
    Post #33 - July 7th, 2013, 5:51 pm Post #33 - July 7th, 2013, 5:51 pm
    I had less time than I wanted to enjoy Cleveland in April, and exited with no pictures of that stage. I do have some possibly entertaining intel on Central Ohio road diners to come. My group waited in line for a Steve's Gyros at the West Side Market, which at $7 fed about four people (I believe it is 2 lb of meat, a house mix, not particularly lamb-y). The tzatziki was delicious but the sandwich overall did not shake my Chicago favorites. The market itself is everything you'd want it to be (spend much more time than I did, and/or bring a cooler).

The Great Lakes Brewing Company pleasantly surprised me on food. The pillowy soft pretzels with assorted mustards were addicting and re-ordered. My spicy pizza was actually excellent, with the (Cleveland-ubiquitous) banana peppers and a blistery crust. The brews were of course grand.
  • Post #34 - March 18th, 2015, 9:07 pm
    Post #34 - March 18th, 2015, 9:07 pm Post #34 - March 18th, 2015, 9:07 pm
    Bumping this thread--I have two lunches, one breakfast and one dinner in Cleveland next week (quick trip over for the Thursday Sweet 16)--no kids, just SO and me---andddddd GO!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #35 - March 18th, 2015, 9:29 pm
    Post #35 - March 18th, 2015, 9:29 pm Post #35 - March 18th, 2015, 9:29 pm
    Definitely Velvet Tango Room and maybe Lolita, they're close so it could be a one-two punch.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #36 - March 19th, 2015, 11:27 am
    Post #36 - March 19th, 2015, 11:27 am Post #36 - March 19th, 2015, 11:27 am
    Yes to Velvet Tango Room. It's been around since the mid-90's I believe. Their Manhattan is my favorite anywhere. But prices are steep - higher than most places I've been to in Chicago. I believe last time I was there they were $16?

Also in that general area:

Mitchell's Ice Cream
    The West Side Market (a must for shopping)
    Phnom Pen for Cambodian and Vietnamese

I also enjoyed the food at Market Garden Brewery and Great Lakes Brewery, also in that same area.
  • Post #37 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:10 am
    Post #37 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:10 am Post #37 - September 3rd, 2019, 10:10 am
    Bump!

Anyone been to Cleveland lately? My first visit will be next week for work. Really only have Tuesday afternoon and evening to explore. Staying downtown and will rely on rideshares, public transit, and my legs, I guess. ;)
  • Post #38 - September 6th, 2019, 4:50 pm
    Post #38 - September 6th, 2019, 4:50 pm Post #38 - September 6th, 2019, 4:50 pm
    I have been to Cleveland, OH. numerous times since 1992. I have utilized all four methods of travel to there (automobile, airplane, bus, train).
    Back in October 2016, for an unimaginable reason, lots of people in Chicago wanted to travel to Cleveland. :?: :wink:
    So I composed a World-Wide Web page giving key data. :D
    I recommend browsing it.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #39 - May 25th, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Post #39 - May 25th, 2023, 2:29 pm Post #39 - May 25th, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Anything new/post-pandemic in Cleveland that might be worth a stop? We've got a dinner, a lunch and Sunday brunch slot open. Not looking for anything fancy or high-end. Other than that, no particular parameters.

Hoping to revisit VTR for a few rounds too, as we haven't been in the post-Paulius era.

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - May 25th, 2023, 3:31 pm
    Post #40 - May 25th, 2023, 3:31 pm Post #40 - May 25th, 2023, 3:31 pm
    Have you been to Mt. Pleasant BBQ? Good stuff, served in quantity. They serve a delicious, and especially messy version of the Cleveland Polish Boy that adds a layer of pulled pork to the fries and slaw already covering a deep fried kielbasa. Be sure to ask for the"Deluxe" to add the pork.

Very good fried fish too.

Good selection of sides including Mac & Cheese, Collards, BBQ Beans, and fresh cut Fries.

No place to sit, strictly carry out, but I always drive, so I've got a folding table and chairs in my trunk. There's a spot off to the side where you can set up.

I assume you're already familiar with the usual suspects; Balaton, Flat Iron Cafe, Bearden's, Slyman's, etc.

Sadly two of my favorite restaurants in the world are no more; Sokolowski's University Inn and Babushka's. Retirement did them both in, although the pandemic hastened Sololowski's departure. Sigh.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a full itinerary from a Cleveland/Akron Crawl we did a couple of years ago.

Buddy

Mt. Pleasant BBQ
    12725 Kinsman Rd
    Cleveland, OH 44120
    (216) 561-8722
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/mt-pleasant-bar-b-q-cleveland
  • Post #41 - May 25th, 2023, 3:40 pm
    Post #41 - May 25th, 2023, 3:40 pm Post #41 - May 25th, 2023, 3:40 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Have you been to Mt. Pleasant BBQ? Good stuff, served in quantity. They serve a delicious, and especially messy version of the Cleveland Polish Boy that adds a layer of pulled pork to the fries and slaw already covering a deep fried kielbasa. Be sure to ask for the"Deluxe" to add the pork.

Very good fried fish too.

Good selection of sides including Mac & Cheese, Collards, BBQ Beans, and fresh cut Fries.

No place to sit, strictly carry out, but I always drive, so I've got a folding table and chairs in my trunk. There's a spot off to the side where you can set up.

I assume you're already familiar with the usual suspects; Balaton, Flat Iron Cafe, Bearden's, Slyman's, etc.

Sadly two of my favorite restaurants in the world are no more; Sokolowski's University Inn and Babushka's. Retirement did them both in, although the pandemic hastened Sololowski's departure. Sigh.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a full itinerary from a Cleveland/Akron Crawl we did a couple of years ago.

Buddy

Mt. Pleasant BBQ
    12725 Kinsman Rd
    Cleveland, OH 44120
    (216) 561-8722
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/mt-pleasant-bar-b-q-cleveland

Thanks, Jeff. A very nice 1,000th post from you, too. I really appreciate the lead. Love Slyman's and some of the old guard, etc. but was hoping to branch out, so the BBQ rec. is especially helpful. PM on its way.

Very sad news about Babushka's and Sololowski's. Big bummers.

Thanks again!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #42 - May 25th, 2023, 3:56 pm
    Post #42 - May 25th, 2023, 3:56 pm Post #42 - May 25th, 2023, 3:56 pm
    A thousand, eh...Time sure flies when you're arguing about food.

Buddy
  • Post #43 - May 30th, 2023, 8:08 pm
    Post #43 - May 30th, 2023, 8:08 pm Post #43 - May 30th, 2023, 8:08 pm
    Our daughter was at Case Western for 4 years so my wife 2019-2022, and my wife and I made regular treks to Cleveland and usually took our daughter out when there. These recommendations are all near Case, in the Murray Hill, Euclid Heights area.

For a brunch, you might want to try Inn on Coventry. It was our regular Sat/Sun brunch stop. The Lemon Ricotta pancakes are beyond delicious.
    https://innoncoventryrestaurant.com/
    2785 Euclid Heights

The Algebra Tea House has a great selection of *very* interesting (and yummy) teas and very delicious middle eastern lunch fare. Good for an afternoon tea and snack.
    https://algebrateahouse.com/
    2136 Murray Hill Rd

If you want to break out of your lower price point, Zhug, has some very excellent and unique cocktails and Middle Eastern Mezze. They don't take reservations so if you aren't there early in the evening on the weekend, the wait can be a while.
    https://zhugcle.com/
    12413 Cedar Road

Enjoy!
  • Post #44 - May 31st, 2023, 6:12 am
    Post #44 - May 31st, 2023, 6:12 am Post #44 - May 31st, 2023, 6:12 am
    I always enjoyed Corky and Lenny's on Chagrin Blvd just off the bypass.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more