LTH Home

Tampa/St. Pete

Tampa/St. Pete
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - June 10th, 2010, 11:03 pm
    Post #61 - June 10th, 2010, 11:03 pm Post #61 - June 10th, 2010, 11:03 pm
    Aaron,

I stayed on Anna Maria last winter and really enjoyed the Cortez Kitchen, a seafood shack and fish market just off the island. Great grouper and fried seafood. The fish market is worth a look too if you'll have a kitchen: http://www.thecortezkitchen.com/

A great spot for a picnic and for birding, biking, and walking was Emerson Point Park in Palmetto, which also has the remains of a 1200-year-old Indian village: http://www.baysoundings.com/fall02/adventure.html

And the best ice cream spot we found was Tyler's in Cortez, just a couple blocks from the Cortez Kitchen: http://www.tylersicecream.com/

I also liked a few places in St Armands Circle, between Longboat Key and Sarasota:

I liked Columbia. I wasn't really impressed with the 1905 salad, but the black bean soup was very tasty, and they make a great margarita with freshly squeezed juice.

Blue Dolphin Cafe, a friendly diner with good breakfasts and sandwiches (another location on Longboat Key):
    http://www.bluedolphincafe.com/

And Settimi's gelato, right on the circle
  • Post #62 - June 11th, 2010, 6:26 pm
    Post #62 - June 11th, 2010, 6:26 pm Post #62 - June 11th, 2010, 6:26 pm
    If you go to Dockside Dave's, I recommend the country fried grouper sandwich. It was much better than the blackened grouper sandwich.

We were at the Columbia Restaurant in Clearwater tonight. For dinner, the Cuban sandwich was only available on the kid's menu. I was only able to steal one bite from my kid's plate. I'll have to return for lunch to get my own sandwich. My husband and I enjoyed the1905 salad which we split.

We also tried Keegan's Seafood Grille. My husband's wahoo dish from the blackboard specials was much better than my crabcakes which seemed to have a lot of filler. I guess I should have ordered something off the blackboard.
    shorty
  • Post #63 - June 12th, 2010, 7:24 am
    Post #63 - June 12th, 2010, 7:24 am Post #63 - June 12th, 2010, 7:24 am
    i do agree on the grouper. i like the fried best.
    dockside dave's is a great stop 8)
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #64 - June 16th, 2010, 10:53 pm
    Post #64 - June 16th, 2010, 10:53 pm Post #64 - June 16th, 2010, 10:53 pm
    Some additional trip notes:
    I have to agree with Stevez. Ted Peter's has a great key lime pie. We tried this pie at Keegan's, Frenchy's South Beach Cafe, and Ted Peter's. The one at Keegan's did not have much lime flavor.

We stopped by Waltz Fish Shak on a Tues. (since we were already at John's Pass for the stores) and were disappointed to find it closed.
    shorty
  • Post #65 - June 18th, 2010, 11:37 pm
    Post #65 - June 18th, 2010, 11:37 pm Post #65 - June 18th, 2010, 11:37 pm
    Not sure if you're still in Anna Maria Island or even checking this for recommendations if you are but two good ones there...

For good and cheap seafood and beer, you can't beat The City Pier Restaurant. As the name suggests, it's right at the end of a pier and the view is a beautiful panorama of the Sunshine Skyway. I've heard good things about their steamer pots although I usually stick with whatever fish they have that's fresh that day.
    For an amazing meal that rivals some of the nicest places throughout Tampa Bay, check out Beach Bistro. I'll admit that I've only eaten dishes at their bar. I'm just a poor student and IT IS EXPENSIVE so I haven't splurged on a full meal in the dining room there yet. That said, I'm not sure I've tried a dish that rivals the lobster escargot. I've also tried the tomato blue cheese soup and bourbon maple grilled shrimp and both were excellent. My friends eating with me that day loved everything they had. It's one of those places where just looking at the menu is enough to induce serious hunger. Excuse me, I must go wipe off the drool.

The City Pier Restaurant
    100 S. Bay Blvd.
    Anna Maria Island, FL
    http://pierjewelry.com/restaurant.php

Beach Bistro
    6600 Gulf Dr.
    Holmes Beach, FL
    http://www.beachbistro.com
  • Post #66 - June 22nd, 2010, 11:36 pm
    Post #66 - June 22nd, 2010, 11:36 pm Post #66 - June 22nd, 2010, 11:36 pm
    Thanks, all, for the input…we had a great trip, which ended up considerably more beach lounging than food seeking, but were able to put quite a bit of info to use nonetheless.

Four best foodstuffs of the trip for me (in no particular order):

1) Macarons at Le Macaron in St. Armand’s circle…wow, these were some phenomenal cookies, a gentle Frenchman so enthused when our oldest boy picked out the mint that he walked out front to show us the herb pot where he grows it and lament the artificial flavor so many Americans call mint. We probably tried 10 flavors, I really enjoyed the lemon too, and the ginger chocolate…and the regular chocolate…and…the flavors were just all so true. The cookies definitely have a short shelf life for peak form, but man, at peak, they are amazing. The one "if you're close, go" place of the whole trip.

2) Caldo Gallego at the Columbia Restaurant (also St. Armand’s Circle)…could find no fault in this bean soup, an absolute delight

3) Sticky buns at Ginny and Jane E.’s (at the Old IGA) on Anna Maria…this place was just a few blocks from our house, and I wish I’d gone earlier in the week…a cute place all around, mix of café and flea market and Internet café….sticky buns were perfectly moist, sweet, sticky, and delicious

4) Grouper at the big, loud, touristy Bahama Breeze in Tampa…a convenient stop near the airport our one night in Tampa. Very much a scene type place, but they served a very nice piece of fish…somehow managed to be the only grouper I ordered on the trip, so this isn’t necessarily meant to exalt their offering over any number of others, but it was quite good.

More details…

We hit Ybor City straight from the airport. I chose poorly. We wanted beer not coffee, and I think after our travels that Carmine’s (which we walked past) or Columbia would have been a more comfortable place to start the vacation. It was after the lunch hour, so the bustle of Tropicana had worn off. The Cuban was good, I enjoyed my Devil Crab. Garbanzo bean soup I thought was just okay. But the external elements (Styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons, charmless waitress who vacuumed and sprayed cleaning chemicals through most of the meal, empty room) were the wrong pick for the moment…my bad on that. I can definitely appreciate how it would succeed on other terms.

Columbia in Armand Circle had all the class that you’d expect in a classic institution. My soup was just perfect, the yellow rice was very good, the Cuban was excellent. The 1905 salad is really enjoyable as well. I preferred the salteado beef to the marinated pork loin and the yellow rice to the white. Any institution like this, people seem to criticize for not being what it once was. Taken for what it is, I don’t see how you wouldn’t be happy here…I look forward to a return trip.

Our plans for a nice dinner out were derailed by a busy schedule, Beach Bistro was sorely tempting, and my in-laws rarely make a trip that way without heading to the aforementioned Dry Dock on Longboat Key. I would love to have had the chance.

And on our way back to the airport, Ted Peter’s and Mazzaro’s. Ted Peter’s….maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe I really screwed up by not ordering the mullet. I don’t know. The place oozes character, and was certainly worth a stop on that alone. I was a little wary of the smoked salmon plate right on the Gulf, but hey, when you have 3 smoked fish (mackerel was out), they all ought to be good, right? And the ladies like smoked salmon. It was okay, but a bit dry and chewy and fishy. Not bad at all but nothing revelatory, and not even particularly good. The fish spread…I tried to order the sandwich, but the lady suggested a big bowl would be better for splitting. Wasn’t real popular. It was like tuna salad, and I think I would have liked the sandwich; scooped onto soda crackers, it was fine but not exciting to me.

I did really enjoy their potato salad, with big bacony chunks. And the key lime pie, nice crumbly crust, great limey flavor, disappointing whipped cream from a can, but overall, a nice slice. Best two or three in the world? Don’t know about that.

Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives stopped at a BBQ joint about a 5-minute walk from our house, RJs, which has received some attention here. It’s a great little place, good food, decent ‘que, people who care, live music…I like it a lot. But if some out-of-towner visiting KC saw it on TV and made it a must-visit stop, representative of KC cuisine, well, I don’t think they’d be getting a great pic. That’s a little how I felt about Ted Peter’s. Though the smoking set-up is really something to behold—I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really glad to have gone. Just wasn’t too impressed by the food.

Mazzaro’s, I wasn’t too hungry after salmon, fish spread, potato salad, and pie. But man, what a cool store. The place was packed, absolutely slammed on a Saturday mid-afternoon. I don’t know what kind of margins the place runs on, but the sandwich pictures posted earlier don’t really do justice to the size of these $5 monsters. Jared would be crying for his mama if faced with one of these footlongs. They may be a foot in circumference too. Definitely worth a stop…I wish we had gone on the way down to stock up for our eating in nights on the island.

Some other stops…

Tortilla Bay (Anna Maria) was a forgettable Southwestern/Mex-type place. Not bad by any stretch, though, decent option.

Hurricane Hank’s (Anna Maria) is a local island joint, everyone but me got the fried grouper sandwich, and based on my few bites, it was terrific. My fish special of the day (don’t recall the name) was fine, but I wish I’d ordered the grouper.

Rod and Reel (Anna Maria) the pier just north of the aforementioned City Pier restaurant. Had a fine diner breakfast there one morning in a terrific setting.

The Waterfront, a little bit nicer joint, just across from City Pier. Really an outstanding beer list, and a terrific looking menu. Friendly crowd, good staff, the food was hit and miss, maybe more towards the miss. I don’t even recall my order…I know my father-in-law was incredibly pleased with his lamb chops, and he orders a lot of lamb chops.

Gator’s Dockside (northeast Tampa) is a local chain with maybe 20 restaurants. Burgers and chicken tenders and things. We did get an appetizer of gator tails, which the kids thoroughly enjoyed, and hey, if you’re going to be feeding the kids chicken tenders, they may as well be made of alligator.

Le Macaron
    382 Saint Armands Circle
    Sarasota, FL 34236-1313
    (941) 552-8872

Ginny & Jane E's
    9807 Gulf Drive
    Anna Maria, FL 34216
    (941) 778-3170
    http://www.annamariacafe.com

Bahama Breeze
    3045 North Rocky Point Drive
    Tampa, FL 33607
    (813) 289-7922
    http://www.bahamabreeze.com

Gators Dockside
    (many other locations also)
    5840 East Fowler Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33617-2312
    (813) 341-4445
    http://www.gatorsdockside.com

Tortilla Bay Southwest Grille
    5318 Marina Drive
    Holmes Beach, FL 34217
    (941) 778-3663
    http://tortilla-bay.com

Hurricane Hank's
    5346 Gulf Drive
    Holmes Beach, FL 34217-1766
    (941) 778-5788

The Waterfront Restaurant
    111 South Bay Boulevard
    Anna Maria, FL 34216
    (941) 778-1515
    http://www.thewaterfrontrestaurant.net

Rod & Reel Pier Restaurant
    875 N Shore Dr
    Anna Maria, Florida 34216
    (941) 778-1885
  • Post #67 - July 9th, 2010, 4:21 pm
    Post #67 - July 9th, 2010, 4:21 pm Post #67 - July 9th, 2010, 4:21 pm
    I've been bouncing around the east Tampa/Brandon area this week for work and managed to find some tasty grub from an unassuming shack, the Seafood Palace. This particular area is a chain hell hole so a place that consisted of nothing but a trailer like kitchen and a handful of outdoor tables seemed like the best bet.

Blue crab empanadas (sp) hit the spot and a deal at $1.25 a piece and the shrimp dinner with rice and beans was great as well. A great lunch for under $7. If your ever in the area and don't feel like Bucca di Beppo, Hooters or Olive Garden, check it out.

Seafood Palace
    6207 Causeway Blvd
    Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL 33619-6267

If anyone has additional recs for this part of town i'm open. Was told by a coworker to head into Ybor city so i'll probably check that out this weekend.
  • Post #68 - July 13th, 2010, 3:25 pm
    Post #68 - July 13th, 2010, 3:25 pm Post #68 - July 13th, 2010, 3:25 pm
    Back in Tampa for a few days and tried to take my Dad to Hugo's for a birthday Lechon sandwich, only to find them closed for the week for vacation. After a few minutes of discussion about options, decided to head to the Colonnade--one of my favorite childhood spots. Dad was happy to go because Mom doesn't like it--and I was seeking the fried clam strips I loved as a kid. Sucess on both counts!

The Colonnade is the only restaurant located right on Bayshore Blvd. (the seven mile stretch of promenade along Tampa Bay in South Tampa) and the view is terrific. Most of the servers are in their 70's and it's definitely a "retro" seafood house experience. But nostalgia can be tasty!

Dad had a 75th anniversary (theirs, not his--he's only 73) fried Chicken Wing basket--the chicken was perfectly lightly fried--the kind of coating that doesn't really taste like coating. Sides were creamy cole slaw (didn't try), hush puppies (light on the outside, dense on the inside, very lightly sweet) and fries (hand cut and puffy golden brown good). I had the clam strip dinner which came with a choice of sides--I picked a dinner salad with dressing that reminded me of what mom used to make at home from the packet but I mean that in a good way--tangy, not sweet and refreshing. Salad was fresh but a standard shredded carrot, cuke, grape tomato, red onion mix. Other side were fresh green beans well done (as the MUST be in the south) with onions and bits of red pepper. The clams were the same as I remembered--well-fried, more batter than clam but still enjoyable.

Mom doesn't know what she's missing.

The Colonnade
    3401 Bayshore Boulevard
    Tampa, FL 33629-8802
    (813) 839-7558
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #69 - October 8th, 2010, 5:41 pm
    Post #69 - October 8th, 2010, 5:41 pm Post #69 - October 8th, 2010, 5:41 pm
    I'll be in St. Pete this next week-ish, appreciate the above rec's. More forthcoming?
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #70 - December 11th, 2010, 4:28 pm
    Post #70 - December 11th, 2010, 4:28 pm Post #70 - December 11th, 2010, 4:28 pm
    I was in Tampa for three nights this week so I went to Bern's three times. I even tried a non steak main course for the first time. The duck was pretty tasty. I am planning another trip to Tampa soon and regardless of how many nights I spend in Tampa, all of them will be at Bern's Steakhouse.
  • Post #71 - July 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm
    Post #71 - July 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm Post #71 - July 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm
    Meant to respond to this thread when we returned from our trip Memorial Day but I kept forgetting...

Fried Grouper Sandwich from Dockside Dave's was the highlight of the food trip for me. We attempted Walt's on Saturday and they were already out of food an hour after opening, then closed Sunday/Monday/Tuesday so we were SOL this trip. We asked the staff where they would go to eat and they told us Hooters since everything else at St. John's Pass was terrible... but they said if we were venturing down the road, Middle Grounds Grill on Treasure Island is where they usually hang out. My wife had the Mango Nut Grouper and I had a special Mahi Mahi Oscar with a soft shell crab and we they were both great but I wasn't blown away.

We didn't eat anywhere else memorable this time. Most of the places had changed since my wife had last been there 5+ years ago, or else her appetite has gotten more refined, because some of the places she thought were "amazing" back then were really pretty terrible according to both of us.

Thanks for all the recommendations in this thread. Hopefully we can make it out to Ybor and closer to Tampa next time.
  • Post #72 - July 5th, 2011, 5:29 pm
    Post #72 - July 5th, 2011, 5:29 pm Post #72 - July 5th, 2011, 5:29 pm
    deesher wrote:I was in Tampa for three nights this week so I went to Bern's three times. I even tried a non steak main course for the first time. The duck was pretty tasty. I am planning another trip to Tampa soon and regardless of how many nights I spend in Tampa, all of them will be at Bern's Steakhouse.

You are my hero. I really get annoyed when people (yes, MY family, I mean you) say Bern's ain't what it used to be. There are a few other places I try to hit when I'm in Tampa but there are none that I look forward to or savor as much as Bern's. And, by the way, for all of my childhood and most of young adulthood, I ONLY ordered the charcoal grilled chicken there--I actually hated cooked steak (although I loved steak tartare) when I was young--long story--and it was WONDERFUL. Of course, for me, it's still all about steak tartare (the original throwback recipe only--they WILL still make it), the onion soup, salad with cleopatra dressing, grilled onions rings, vegetables of the day, loaded baked potato with the best bacon bits ever, etc., etc... Now I'm just homesick :mrgreen:
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #73 - May 1st, 2012, 9:16 am
    Post #73 - May 1st, 2012, 9:16 am Post #73 - May 1st, 2012, 9:16 am
    Is Ted Peters still worth visiting or has it gone downhill? I have seen some mixed reviews recently.

Hopefully Waltz Fish Shak will be open this time when I stop by. If this place is not open, what would you recommend as a backup plan? Something within 15 min. driving distance from Madeira Beach would be great.
  • Post #74 - May 1st, 2012, 9:26 am
    Post #74 - May 1st, 2012, 9:26 am Post #74 - May 1st, 2012, 9:26 am
    shorty wrote:Is Ted Peters still worth visiting or has it gone downhill? I have seen some mixed reviews recently.

Hopefully Waltz Fish Shak will be open this time when I stop by. If this place is not open, what would you recommend as a backup plan? Something within 15 min. driving distance from Madeira Beach would be great.

Ted Peters is one of those places that never changes. It's still as good as it ever was. I last visited in March and I'll be heading back to Tampa in a couple of weeks. Ted Peters is solidly on my list of must visit places. Don't forget the Key Lime Pie.

Good luck with Waltz! I hope they are open during your visit becasue it's really great. I'm not sure if Cafe De France Du Golfe Boulevard is still open, but it may be worth a call to find out. They would be a good (and equally surprising in a good way) alternative if Waltz is closed.

Cafe De France Du Golfe Boulevard
    15225 Gulf Blvd
    Madeira Beach, FL 33708
    (727) 392-8627
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #75 - May 1st, 2012, 11:33 am
    Post #75 - May 1st, 2012, 11:33 am Post #75 - May 1st, 2012, 11:33 am
    Mixed reviews for Ted Peters just means that oily, you-know-it's-a-fish smoked mullet isn't for everyone (still). It is for me, though.
  • Post #76 - May 1st, 2012, 2:07 pm
    Post #76 - May 1st, 2012, 2:07 pm Post #76 - May 1st, 2012, 2:07 pm
    JeffB wrote:Mixed reviews for Ted Peters just means that oily, you-know-it's-a-fish smoked mullet isn't for everyone (still). It is for me, though.

Yes. Exactly. And I'll add that for the mullet averse, the smoked salmon is no slouch, either.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #77 - May 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm
    Post #77 - May 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm Post #77 - May 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm
    We got the fish spread last time. The smoked mullet should be fine. I already trained my family to eat sardines. :D
  • Post #78 - May 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm
    Post #78 - May 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm Post #78 - May 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm
    Smoked red mullet makes sardines seem like orange roughy. It's great, though.
  • Post #79 - May 22nd, 2012, 3:28 pm
    Post #79 - May 22nd, 2012, 3:28 pm Post #79 - May 22nd, 2012, 3:28 pm
    I just got back from a trip to Tampa and I can safely say that wine is not the only area where there is fraud. The venerable Bern's Steakhouse has been lying to us for quite some time.

Tampa Bay Times wrote:Waiters at Tampa's most iconic restaurant, the venerable Bern's Steak House, tell diners about the 8-acre organic farm on which Bern's grows its vegetables. The Bern's menu says that many vegetables used "are grown organically on our farm." And an ad in the new magazine Local Dirt asserts that "all of (Bern's) vegetables are organically grown on their own urban farm in Tampa."

This part of Bern's story has captivated the media as well as the dining public, drawing U.S. presidents, celebrities and thousands of reservations each week. The promise of house-grown organic vegetables has helped to cement Bern's place in the pantheon of the nation's top steak houses.

But it's a promise the restaurant doesn't keep.

The farm is a field of grass and dirt and no vegetables are evident. Most of the restaurant's produce comes from major food-service providers, and just a small portion of it is organic.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/r ... ts/1230996

Liar, liar, pants on fire!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #80 - May 22nd, 2012, 4:42 pm
    Post #80 - May 22nd, 2012, 4:42 pm Post #80 - May 22nd, 2012, 4:42 pm
    stevez wrote:I just got back from a trip to Tampa and I can safely say that wine is not the only area where there is fraud. The venerable Bern's Steakhouse has been lying to us for quite some time.

Tampa Bay Times wrote:Waiters at Tampa's most iconic restaurant, the venerable Bern's Steak House, tell diners about the 8-acre organic farm on which Bern's grows its vegetables. The Bern's menu says that many vegetables used "are grown organically on our farm." And an ad in the new magazine Local Dirt asserts that "all of (Bern's) vegetables are organically grown on their own urban farm in Tampa."

This part of Bern's story has captivated the media as well as the dining public, drawing U.S. presidents, celebrities and thousands of reservations each week. The promise of house-grown organic vegetables has helped to cement Bern's place in the pantheon of the nation's top steak houses.

But it's a promise the restaurant doesn't keep.

The farm is a field of grass and dirt and no vegetables are evident. Most of the restaurant's produce comes from major food-service providers, and just a small portion of it is organic.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/r ... ts/1230996

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Steve,

The above suggests that the Kurniawan fraud extends to Bern's epic cellar, which I don't think is the case and wanted to clarify. Luckily for wine lovers, the old, rare stuff that Kurniawan might fake was collected by Bern Laxter himself -- the guy who very much cultivated vegetables on the tiny farm on Waters Avenue in T&C before he passed away. His son is clearly not living up to Bern's legacy by letting the plot go to hell and continuing to allow people to think it's supplying the restaurant.

Ironic and sad that one of the the highest profile places that grew organic veggies on a local plot for the kitchen from at least the 70's through the 90's - when it was thought esoteric and eccentric at most - now buys from Sysco in an age when "green," "local" and "organic" are common and accepted ideas.
  • Post #81 - May 22nd, 2012, 4:53 pm
    Post #81 - May 22nd, 2012, 4:53 pm Post #81 - May 22nd, 2012, 4:53 pm
    JeffB wrote:The above suggests that the Kurniawan fraud extends to Bern's epic cellar, which I don't think is the case and wanted to clarify. Luckily for wine lovers, the old, rare stuff that Kurniawan might fake was collected by Bern Laxter himself -- the guy who very much cultivated vegetables on the tiny farm on Waters Avenue in T&C before he passed away. His son is clearly not living up to Bern's legacy by letting the plot go to hell and continuing to allow people to think it's supplying the restaurant.

That is correct. It's only the pedigree of the vegetables that is being called into question...and the story about how all of the waiters have to work on the farm for some period of time before they are allowed to wait on tables, although most of the waiters have been there long enough that they probably did have to work on the farm because they were hired back in the old days. Still, I find it pretty disappointing that they would lie about this, considering the pedigree of the meat and the wine cellar.

It's a pretty big deal in Tampa. This story was the front page headline of the Sunday paper. NATO? What NATO?
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #82 - June 1st, 2012, 5:11 pm
    Post #82 - June 1st, 2012, 5:11 pm Post #82 - June 1st, 2012, 5:11 pm
    I just got back from another trip to Tampa. I don't have much new to report other than the big Bern's scandal I posted about above. I revisited a few of the places that I've posted about before. Waltz-still a can't miss. Hugo's-still turning out great Cuban Sandwiches and even better pork sandwiches. Ted Peters-still going strong and serving the best key lime pie North of Key Largo (not to mention the smoked fish).

One classic place that I've never posted about is Frenchy's. Frenchy's is the classic on-the-beach grouper shack.

Frenchy's Rockaway Grill

I had the good fortune to be visiting during Clearwater's Restaurant Week, and they were serving some special dishes including house made grouper tamales. These were both unexpected and surprisingly good. Obviously someone of Mexican descent with some serious tamale chops is working in that kitchen.

Frenchy's Grouper Tamales

Of course, you don't normally go to Frenchy's for the tamales; you go for the Grouper Sandwich, and Frenchy's doesn't disappoint. The freshly battered grouper fillet is served on a nice onion roll and is topped with cheese and basically the same toppings as you would expect on a burger. This is the platonic ideal of the humble grouper sandwich.

Frenchy's Grouper Sandwich

Frenchy's isn't breaking any new ground, but it's a landmark and worth a visit in much the same way a visit to Al's or Johnnie's would be for someone visiting Chicago.

Frenchy's Rockaway Grill
    7 Rockaway St.
    Clearwater, FL 33767
    727-446-4844
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #83 - June 1st, 2012, 8:54 pm
    Post #83 - June 1st, 2012, 8:54 pm Post #83 - June 1st, 2012, 8:54 pm
    Wow. A wave of nostalgia just came over me. I used to skip school on the beach in front of the hotel in the background. Frenchy's is the best place on one of the best public, urban beaches in America.
  • Post #84 - June 2nd, 2012, 4:34 am
    Post #84 - June 2nd, 2012, 4:34 am Post #84 - June 2nd, 2012, 4:34 am
    JeffB wrote:Wow. A wave of nostalgia just came over me. I used to skip school on the beach in front of the hotel in the background. Frenchy's is the best place on one of the best public, urban beaches in America.

And quite a beach it is!

This shot was taken at around 1:30 in the afternoon on a Tuesday in late May. During the season, or on weekends, you would barely be able to see the sand because it's so crowded. I was lucky to get this "deserted beach" shot!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #85 - June 10th, 2012, 11:28 am
    Post #85 - June 10th, 2012, 11:28 am Post #85 - June 10th, 2012, 11:28 am
    We finally made it to Waltz Fish Shak. I am glad we got there at open. About 1 hour after they opened, they were already running out of some of the things on their menu. The kids had a shrimp and scallop pasta dish (which they really liked). My husband and I liked the yellowtail snapper which was served with island rice and a slaw.

We also went to Ted Peter's (for smoked mullet + key lime pie), Dockside (for fried grouper sandwich), Mazzaro's Italian Market, and Columbia Restaurant (for Cuban sandwich, 1905 salad, Spanish bean soup, Sangria de Cava and white chocolate bread pudding). We liked Columbia Restaurant so much that we went there twice. The second time we went, we ordered a side of fried plantains for the kids. Apparently you can order some things which are not listed on the menu for dinner (like Cuban sandwich).

Are there any restaurants in Chicago which serves a Cuban sandwich similar to what they serve at Columbia Restaurant?

Everything was really good. The only thing I regret was not having enough time to go back to Keegan's Seafood Grille.
    Last edited by shorty on June 11th, 2012, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #86 - June 11th, 2012, 11:29 am
    Post #86 - June 11th, 2012, 11:29 am Post #86 - June 11th, 2012, 11:29 am
    shorty wrote:Are there any restaurants in Chicago which serves a Cuban sandwich similar to what they serve at Columbia Restaurant?

No. The bread only exists in Tampa and the best bakery for it is across the street from the Columbia.

Keegan's is a cool little place near a nice, quiet beach. But do check out Rusty Bellies and the neighborhood in Tarpon Springs if you have any interest in Greek food, particularly baked goods and sweets, in addition to seafood.
  • Post #87 - August 8th, 2012, 9:23 pm
    Post #87 - August 8th, 2012, 9:23 pm Post #87 - August 8th, 2012, 9:23 pm
    JeffB wrote:At any of the Cuban places or bakeries, try a "devil crab" which is a doughy croquette of day-old cuban bread with a crab/sofrito filling. unique to Tampa and a product of the cast-offs from two industries-- baking and crabbing. A last meal for me could be a Tropicana Devil crab with garbanzo soup and a cup of cafe con leche...

most excellent and thanks for posting, due to your post I had the Tropicana devil crap and was truly pleased.
    Dmnkly wrote:I loved Ted Peters right off the bat.
    agreed, mullet was the way to go for us, we devoured it in minutes, waitress was laughing that our family was so quick w/our meals.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #88 - August 9th, 2012, 9:35 am
    Post #88 - August 9th, 2012, 9:35 am Post #88 - August 9th, 2012, 9:35 am
    Glad to help! I might take Devil crabs national and make a mint. It's a mystery to me why they are limited to Tampa, and a dying breed even within that quirky town.
  • Post #89 - August 9th, 2012, 10:30 am
    Post #89 - August 9th, 2012, 10:30 am Post #89 - August 9th, 2012, 10:30 am
    Jeff,

Are you familiar with the Chesapeake Bay version of deviled crab, once a mainstay of that region, but increasingly difficult to find?

I remember the day when respectable deviled crabs were available even in grocery stores.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #90 - August 9th, 2012, 11:21 am
    Post #90 - August 9th, 2012, 11:21 am Post #90 - August 9th, 2012, 11:21 am
    Ronnie, there is a loose connection, I think. The Tampa Devil Crab is a direct descendant of Spanish croquetas and is made with day-old Cuban bread and bread crumbs. It's a big, doughy, deep-fried thing, but it works terrifically when done right. The filling is peasant stuff - the lowest grade blue crab pickings cooked down with a creole sofrito of red peppers, tomato paste, garlic and bay. It's peculiarly Tampan and developed due to the proximity of the big Cuban bakeries (the main and first one, the ironically named La Segunda, remains strong as ever) to the blue crab processors a few blocks away at the port. It's definitely a whole exceeding the sum of its parts. It's not entirely dissimilar from the old Baltimore deviled crab/clams/etc., which are also bready and I like. I am sure that the similarities led gringos to start calling the Tampa crab croquettes deviled crabs, but the Cuban vendors misspelled it as the more foreboding Devil Crab. These were eaten out of hand by cigar rollers, just like the original Cuban sandwiches.

Edit: to further explain and distinguish these 2 low-end crab treats, I take the Baltimore deviled crab to be a blue crab shell filled with an integrated, stuffing-like mix of breadcrumbs, crab pickings, probably an egg, and Old Bay, usually baked. The Tampa thing involved a doughy dumpling rolled in cracker crumbs and deep fried, filled with a loose, red ragu' of crab pickings (not mixed in with the bread). Crystal hot sauce is nice on both.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more