LTH Home

Frank's Diner "Home of the Garbage Plate" Kenosha

Frank's Diner "Home of the Garbage Plate" Kenosha
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Frank's Diner "Home of the Garbage Plate" Kenosha

Post #1 - April 4th, 2007, 8:43 am
    Post #1 - April 4th, 2007, 8:43 am Post #1 - April 4th, 2007, 8:43 am
    Frank's Diner was brought to Kenosha by a team of six horses in 1926. I've had my Friday breakfast there since 1980. It's a small friendly dining car serving fabulous eggs with hash browns, home made toast, and a dose of quirky banter. Their signature dish is known as a "Garbage Plate" and is prepared and served by a rainbow-haired, tatooed, friendly staff. Coming soon, viewers of the Food Network will have the opportunity to discover Frank's on a new show called "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives." This small diner is already jammed during Saturday and Sunday breakfasts and exposure on the Food Network will further increase the wait. Get there early, very early.

Frank's Diner
    508 58th Street
    Kenosha, WI
    (262) 657-1017

M-F 6am-2pm
    Sat 7am-2pm
    Sun 7am-1pm
  • Post #2 - May 28th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Post #2 - May 28th, 2007, 4:12 pm Post #2 - May 28th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Hi,

On Sunday, I tried to visit Frank's Diner. As Chicagostyledog warned it is busy on weekends. While I wasn't in a position to wait, I did grab a menu featuring some amusing menu descriptions:

Spam Sandwich: "Spam, lettuce, tomato, Spam, onion, mayo and SPAM on toasted bread."

Cake & Tuck: Two fried eggs tucked between two thick pancakes.

Jalapeno Burger: A juicy 1/2 pound burger stuffed with jalapeno peppers and our secret seasoning sauce.

Fried egg sandwich.

Sausage gravy side.

There is a lot going on in this little space. I plan to get there someday soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - May 29th, 2007, 5:54 am
    Post #3 - May 29th, 2007, 5:54 am Post #3 - May 29th, 2007, 5:54 am
    www.franksdinerkenosha.com/Menu.html
    I had an Ave Maria for breakfast last Friday and it was absolutely outstanding. Since Frank's Diner was aired on Diners, Drive-In's & Dives last week, the crowds have further intensified. Get there early, very early. I suggest a stop at Tenuta's Italian Deli on the way back to I94. Bring a cooler.
    www.franksdinerkenosha.com
    www.tenutasdeli.com
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #4 - May 29th, 2007, 7:18 am
    Post #4 - May 29th, 2007, 7:18 am Post #4 - May 29th, 2007, 7:18 am
    HI,

I was plant shopping at Milaegers in Racine Saturday afternoon. Dinner was at Tenuta's!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #5 - May 29th, 2007, 9:23 am
    Post #5 - May 29th, 2007, 9:23 am Post #5 - May 29th, 2007, 9:23 am
    I'm 5 minutes east of Milaeger's on Douglas, on the lake. If you're in the Kenosha area on Saturday, June 9th, students from Hot Dog University will be experiencing their "Behind-the Cart" training day at:

Stein Garden & Gifts
    6300 Green Bay Road
    Kenosha, WI

Stop by and enjoy a Vienna Beef Polish. If you prefer, I'll bring some natural casing dogs, just for you.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #6 - May 29th, 2007, 9:56 am
    Post #6 - May 29th, 2007, 9:56 am Post #6 - May 29th, 2007, 9:56 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:students from Hot Dog University

Tube Steak Polytechnic
  • Post #7 - May 29th, 2007, 1:01 pm
    Post #7 - May 29th, 2007, 1:01 pm Post #7 - May 29th, 2007, 1:01 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote:
    chicagostyledog wrote:students from Hot Dog University

Tube Steak Polytechnic

"The Harvard of Hot Dogs"
    The Art of the Cart http://www.utne.com/web_special/web_spe ... 578-1.html
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #8 - May 29th, 2007, 1:52 pm
    Post #8 - May 29th, 2007, 1:52 pm Post #8 - May 29th, 2007, 1:52 pm
    HI,

I won't be available on the 9th, though I will come looking for you sometime soon. What are the hours of the Douglas St. location?

Have you been to the Coffee Cup? How does it compare to Frank's? The Percolator (I think that is the name) has a description pretty close to the Garbage Plate.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - May 29th, 2007, 6:21 pm
    Post #9 - May 29th, 2007, 6:21 pm Post #9 - May 29th, 2007, 6:21 pm
    Cathy, the Coffee Cup is owned by one of the former workers from Frank's Diner. I've had breakfast there many times and they make a great stuffed French toast. I'm not familiar with the store's hours. I'm no longer vending hot dogs, with the exception of the cart training days at HDU.
    Last edited by chicagostyledog on October 21st, 2007, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #10 - July 16th, 2007, 8:57 pm
    Post #10 - July 16th, 2007, 8:57 pm Post #10 - July 16th, 2007, 8:57 pm
    My daughter attends overnight camp up there and we've always ended up at the Boathouse for lunches and dinners when we do visitor weekend. Never really liked the Boathouse but the view is nice.

So this past weekend we joined another family at Frank's Diner on 58th Street in the virtually empty downtown area. What a fantastic meal we had! Diner food to be sure, but everything was extremely well executed (we all ate breakfast foods) and the pancakes are literally dinner plate size. My daughter wouldn't share the french toast at all, and the homemade bread that accompanied the eggs and excellent bacon was mighty tasty as well.

And for the six of us the bill was $33. :shock:
  • Post #11 - July 16th, 2007, 9:54 pm
    Post #11 - July 16th, 2007, 9:54 pm Post #11 - July 16th, 2007, 9:54 pm
    Hi,

What time did you go to Frank's? How was the line? If it was light, then consider it fortunate you were in Kenosha while there were boat races in Racine. I have tried twice to go to Frank's on a Saturday with a long line ahead of me.

Meanwhile I go to the Coffee Pot whose owners are former Frank's employees according to Chicagostylehotdog.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - July 17th, 2007, 2:50 pm
    Post #12 - July 17th, 2007, 2:50 pm Post #12 - July 17th, 2007, 2:50 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

What time did you go to Frank's? How was the line? If it was light, then consider it fortunate you were in Kenosha while there were boat races in Racine. I have tried twice to go to Frank's on a Saturday with a long line ahead of me.

Meanwhile I go to the Coffee Pot whose owners are former Frank's employees according to Chicagostylehotdog.

Regards,

Hi, we went to Frank's about noon. It wasn't crowded and we ere seated immediately. Had no idea about the boat races so I'm quite thrilled we got lucky.

Thanks for transferring my post to this existing thread, sorry I didn't search first. :oops:

Sue
  • Post #13 - July 24th, 2007, 8:46 pm
    Post #13 - July 24th, 2007, 8:46 pm Post #13 - July 24th, 2007, 8:46 pm
    Frank's Diner was featured on Channel 9 WGN 9:00pm news today. The story can be found at: www.wgn.com under "Frank's Diner."
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #14 - August 22nd, 2007, 12:16 pm
    Post #14 - August 22nd, 2007, 12:16 pm Post #14 - August 22nd, 2007, 12:16 pm
    Got to go to Frank's Diner after a race this weekend up in Kenosha. Since it was super busy, and I was on my own, I sat at the counter.

I had a Garbage Plate (1/2 plate - 3 eggs, whole is 5) with sausage and bacon. A Garbage Plate is hash browns mixed with onions, green and hot peppers, some meats, and topped with cheese. Very well worth the wait. And never during the wait did my coffee at all get close to being empty.

A delicious and entertaining eating experience!

Check them out this week on Food TV and head north to check them out.
  • Post #15 - August 22nd, 2007, 9:34 pm
    Post #15 - August 22nd, 2007, 9:34 pm Post #15 - August 22nd, 2007, 9:34 pm
    I went on a little road trip today to Frank's. I took some pictures but I need to load them on my computer. We sat at the counter to watch the action. Lynn & Chris the owners, run a well oiled machine! My husband & I had 1/2 garbage plates with home made toast-I took most of mine home there was so much food! For anyone out there wondering if it's worth the trip-don't doubt yourself get up to Kenosha soon!
  • Post #16 - September 14th, 2007, 7:37 am
    Post #16 - September 14th, 2007, 7:37 am Post #16 - September 14th, 2007, 7:37 am
    I made it to Frank's Diner yesterday for lunch. I arrived around 1:00 P.M. (they close at 2), figuring I would miss the lunch rush. When I got there, the diner was buzzing, but luckily there were a couple of prime seats at the counter right in front of the grill. Evidently, they have been getting quite a few first time visitors as a result of the Diners, Drive-In's and Dives segment...or "the show" as they referred to it. The couple sitting next to me had come all the way from Florida for their visit.

The food was fantastic and larger than life. Arriving too late for the blue plate special of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, I opted instead for a 1/2 garbage plate with bacon and sausage. Let me tell you, this is a massive plate of food that is as perfectly cooked as if I had done it myself. Whoever invented the garbage plate has thought it out very well. I wouldn't change a thing or order it with any special cooking instructions. It's perfect as it is. Besides, their motto is "Order what you want...eat what you get", leading me to believe that special instructions might just get ignored anyway. Watching this being prepared was a thing of beauty. The dish consisted of hash browns that are cooked with onions, green peppers and jalapeños until crisp, then bacon and sausage is added and folded into the mixture and allowed to crisp up again. Next, 3 eggs are cracked on top and mixed in (a full garbage plate is made with 5 eggs). Finally, a generous handful of cheese (I got swiss) is place on top and mixed in with a couple of spatulas. All of this was served with a two pieces of toasted homemade bread. The cook (the same girl from "the show") had a constant stream of these being made on the surprisingly small flat top (about 2/3 the size of the one at Patty's). While mine was being cooked, 5 others were being made simultaneously. The cook was poetry in motion and looked like a 30 year veteran, though she has only been cooking for a couple of years since buying the diner. I was able to finish a little over half of my 1/2 garbage plate, but saved enough room for a slice of their homemade chocolate cake which had caught my eye as a piece was delivered to one of my fellow diners.

Other dishes I saw being prepared that looked equally delicious were omelets that are extremely light an fluffy looking, burgers (including a great looking bleu cheese burger) and some very large pancakes. Biscuits & gravy were on the menu, but I did not see any being served and I had way too much food to order a side of them myself.

My biggest regret was not having my camera with me, but that only means that I will have to return sooner rather than later. Frank's Diner is a real gem!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #17 - September 14th, 2007, 1:03 pm
    Post #17 - September 14th, 2007, 1:03 pm Post #17 - September 14th, 2007, 1:03 pm
    I grew up in Kenosha, so I've frequented Frank's more times than I can count. Along with Danny's Cafe on Highway 31, this was a regular Sunday morning family breakfast stop. Unfortunately, it has gotten quite hectic now after being on "the show." The past two times I've been home I've been "forced" to go to The Coffee Pot. The specials I've had at The Coffee Pot have been absolutely fantastic, but that's for another post.

I've only been able to get two menu items from Frank's Diner in the numerous times I've visited there. I usually like to try new things, but the garbage plate is just too irresistable to not get. The homemade toast is some of the best I've had, as well. The only other item I've had were the eggs benedict, which were also delicious, but I can't justify getting them over the garbage plate.
  • Post #18 - October 19th, 2007, 1:38 pm
    Post #18 - October 19th, 2007, 1:38 pm Post #18 - October 19th, 2007, 1:38 pm
    Went to Franks for lunch today. Being somewhat of a soupophile I had to try two. Hungarian Mushroom (sad I didn't try it but my BF does not like mushrooms), Tequila Lime Chicken, and Spicy Sausage. We had the Spicy Sausage and the Tequila Lime Chicken. Both were very good but I think they were poorly named. The spicy sausage had orzo and italian sausage with chunks of tomatoes but was not really spicy. The tequila lime chicken was a red sauce based soup, more like chicken tortilla soup or chicken taco soup. I was expecting more of a sopa de lima that I had in Mexico. Nonetheless both were good.

I got the grilled cheese, bad choice, nothing bad or good about it. I know it isn't a recommended item but I like grilled cheese. I would not order it again. BF got the turkey club and really liked it although he was used to the four pieces of sandwich rather than sliced in half. The turkey was the grilled real stuff off the bird not lunch meat.

Just trying to report the facts. We got there at 11:30 and it was busy but a booth or two was available along with spots at the counter.
  • Post #19 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:38 pm
    Post #19 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:38 pm Post #19 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:38 pm
    chicagostyledog wrote:Frank's Diner was brought to Kenosha by a team of six horses in 1926. I've had my Friday breakfast there since 1980. It's a small friendly dining car serving fabulous eggs with hash browns, home made toast, and a dose of quirky banter. Their signature dish is known as a "Garbage Plate" and is prepared and served by a rainbow-haired, tatooed, friendly staff. Coming soon, viewers of the Food Network will have the opportunity to discover Frank's on a new show called "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives." This small diner is already jammed during Saturday and Sunday breakfasts and exposure on the Food Network will further increase the wait. Get there early, very early.

Frank's Diner
    508 58th Street
    Kenosha, WI
    (262) 657-1017

M-F 6am-2pm
    Sat 7am-2pm
    Sun 7am-1pm

Sorry to burst your bubble but the "garbage plate" is not whatever you guys eat at franks :roll: Because the Garbage Plate is a Rochester NY invented Food..and it consists of either 2 cheeseburgers or hot dogs on top of a mound of home fries and mac. salad and baked beans..with mustard and onions on top and a meat hot sauce smothered all over it...made FAMOUS by Nick Tahoes..and if you just google "the garbage Plate" you can see for your self. It's even in the wikipedia. Oh and here is the website of nick tahoes... www.garbageplate.com :D It was feature on the food networks Tv show called "Unwrapped" hosted by Mark Summers. :wink:
  • Post #20 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:45 pm
    Post #20 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:45 pm Post #20 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:45 pm
    Hi,

I am comfortable there can be more than one garbage plate on this Earth with very different pedigrees. The Rochester Garbage plate is a lunch/dinner combo, whereas the Kenosha is a breakfast. I have a feeling there are even more garbage plates and variants than these two.

I sent my parents to eat a Garbage Plate in Rochester. Unfortunately they don't carry a camera to take pictures!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:50 pm
    Post #21 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:50 pm Post #21 - November 23rd, 2007, 3:50 pm
    yes but at nick tahoes there is even breakfast garbage plates you can get too. In rochester there is numerous amounts of other burger joints that actually have to call their version of the garbage plate something else..I.E the Hog Plate..The sloppy Plate..Because Nick Tahoes has the term "garbage plate" Trademarked
    Last edited by jmroszczak on November 23rd, 2007, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #22 - November 23rd, 2007, 4:01 pm
    Post #22 - November 23rd, 2007, 4:01 pm Post #22 - November 23rd, 2007, 4:01 pm
    Geez, who knew you could patent a word! I should patent "Bullshit!", but maybe Penn and Teller beat me to it.

I think you mean trademarked. And if it really is, they've got a lot of suing to do -- there are at least a half dozen other places around the country with Garbage Plates(tm) on the menu.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #23 - November 23rd, 2007, 4:04 pm
    Post #23 - November 23rd, 2007, 4:04 pm Post #23 - November 23rd, 2007, 4:04 pm
    Yes that is what it is..trademarked. and they have sued before..And if Franks gets too popular I'm sure they will again LOL
  • Post #24 - November 23rd, 2007, 7:24 pm
    Post #24 - November 23rd, 2007, 7:24 pm Post #24 - November 23rd, 2007, 7:24 pm
    jmroszczak wrote:Yes that is what it is..trademarked. and they have sued before..And if Franks gets too popular I'm sure they will again LOL

You're just the blue bird of happiness!

Are you from Rochester? What other food delights from the region can you report on?

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #25 - November 26th, 2007, 11:03 am
    Post #25 - November 26th, 2007, 11:03 am Post #25 - November 26th, 2007, 11:03 am
    Nothing like a Garbage at
    Nancy's Home Cooking
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overvie ... RefID=4212
    3133 North High Street
    Columbus, OH 43202

Been eating them for years.
  • Post #26 - November 26th, 2007, 6:29 pm
    Post #26 - November 26th, 2007, 6:29 pm Post #26 - November 26th, 2007, 6:29 pm
    Yeah, "Trademarked", that's the ticket, let's go with that.

Let's "Trademark" things like "Ruben Sandwiches", or maybe "Buffalo Wings". And if anybody uses those terms we will sue them. Yeah, that's the ticket. How about if we forbid anybody in the restaurant business to use the words "Garbage Plate", because it is "Trademarked" and they will be sued in a court of law.

Better yet, how about if all the restaurants within earshot of this good forum put a selection on their menu called "Garbage Plate"? What say you then, Mr. Sue Happy?
  • Post #27 - December 21st, 2007, 7:24 pm
    Post #27 - December 21st, 2007, 7:24 pm Post #27 - December 21st, 2007, 7:24 pm
    You don't have to like it, but it is what it is. The name has been trademarked since the 80's. The only reason someone pointed it out is for that reason. Just because names like 'buffalo wing' haven't been trademarked, doesn't mean the original creator of the term wouldn't have been within their rights to so. Maybe the inventor was too stupid to think of it. Using a trademarked term to market a product is a litigation worthy offense. Just because someone might not like it or disagree with it doesn't change the fact that the law is the law.
  • Post #28 - December 21st, 2007, 11:02 pm
    Post #28 - December 21st, 2007, 11:02 pm Post #28 - December 21st, 2007, 11:02 pm
    You wouldn't think that someone would be so proud of his decision to refer to food he expects people to pay money to eat as "garbage" that he'd actually fight to prevent others from doing the same, and yet here we are.
  • Post #29 - April 20th, 2008, 9:42 am
    Post #29 - April 20th, 2008, 9:42 am Post #29 - April 20th, 2008, 9:42 am
    Last weekend, after more than a handful of tries, I finally dined at Frank's Diner. I couldn't remember if they closed at 1 PM or 2 PM, though I knew if I was later than 30 minutes before closing I wasn't getting a crumb.

I arrived to Frank's at 12:28 hoping they would still let me in. I dashed out of the car to get my toe in the door while my friend parked. My heart leaped with joy when I saw they had a 2 PM closing on Saturday and I was assured a meal.

Frank's is a sardine can of a restaurant. It has received considerable national press, akin to Hot Doug's, Kumas and Schwa, with lots of people wanting what they offer. Like our local legends, it has had to learn how to deal with the crush of demand while serving the food at the level that generated interest. If my first visit is accurate, then they have learned how to balance the factors of demand, good quality food and still have a reasonably cheerful atmosphere on both sides of the counter.

Those waiting for an opportunity to eat, stand behind the people seated at the counter. To your back is a series of windowless windows, once the backwall of the diner, that looks onto an addition with people seated in booths. After lingering a little while, a counter girl hands out menus and a few minutes later takes your order. I have to admit I ordered like it would be a good long while before the stars lined up to allow this opportunity again:

- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
    - Homemade cinnamon roll (shared)
    - Full order of biscuits and gravy (shared)
    - Sausage garbage plate (full portion, already known plenty going home)

They took my name, then advised when I was seated to order my drinks and advise the server to bring my soup and biscuits and gravy. Not very long after, we were seated at the counter near the lady griddle master, which was the best location as far as I was concerned.

My desktop is larger than the griddle at Frank's. The griddle at Patty's Diner is a football field compared to Frank's. I never saw such a small griddle put to such optimal use. Every piece of real estate on that griddle was in use: maybe 12-16 mounds of potatoes reflecting variations of the garbage plate. Like two people in a standard bed, everything had to be flipped and cooked in that small space. When it was time to add the eggs, then they were cracked on top. Only quick, expert tossing of the potatoes, meat and eggs caused them to scramble into one cohesive mass.

The griddle lady was the master of the situation. When she needed more eggs and potatoes from downstairs, then someone flew to get it. Clearly everybody knew this was the heart of the restaurant with nothing to interfere with its productive output. Just to the right of her workspace with picture window was the auto-toaster. I loved watching bread being loaded into it, going through the toasting chamber and dropping down a shute to stay warm waiting for the next order. Nothing stayed in that toaster's warm vault for very long. I cannot emphasize enough how much this place was hopping.

Once we were seated, we dutifully placed our drink order and reminded the server we had soup and biscuits and gravy coming. She took our name, found our ticket and it joined the cue by the griddle master. I was very glad the excellent Hungarian mushroom soup came first, because it was savored to the very last drop. They were out of oyster crackers substituting toasted homemade bread, which normally was a 75 cent upcharge.

Their homemade cinnamon bun arrived next with a confectioner's sugar-butter glaze on the side to adjust to your tastes. We kept promising this was too good to eat all at once, we may spoil meal if we eat too much, then whittled the bun away to nothing. So much for promises made to oneself or your best friend.

The biscuits and gravy arrived with two plates to allow us to comfortably share. The biscuits might meet Jim in Logan Square's specification, though the gravy with a heavy dose of pepper might pass muster. There were big chunks of sausage in a cream sauce that did not come from a packet. Again, it was another food item we promised not to eat too much of, then it disapeered before our very eyes. How does this happen?

Once the garbage plates with mounds of potates, sausage and their five eggs arrived, I knew this was one dish I would not conquer. I ate about a third before deciding there can be too much of a good thing.

I want to bring the Moms here someday, though they no longer can stand for lengthy periods of time. I was told if I had a party of 5 or more, then I can call ahead for reservations. Otherwise I would keep them comfortably seated in the car, while I do the waiting and ordering. Either way I know they will just love this place.

When you do go, be sure to read the menu in detail because there is a lot of idiosyncratic advice and information packed in there. My favorite:

Be Nice or Leave

We work extremely hard to serve as many people as possible. However, we cannot make your food cook more quickly or make the people waiting before you go away.

If we are crowded and you are short on time, we suggest you join us another day.

Thank you for your patience.

We were present when the griddle master asked the front door be locked, which is customary 30 minutes before posted closing time. The staff was thrilled they could now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Can't blame them because their work day is one of the most intense I have witnessed.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #30 - June 10th, 2008, 12:50 pm
    Post #30 - June 10th, 2008, 12:50 pm Post #30 - June 10th, 2008, 12:50 pm
    Ever since I saw Frank's Diner on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, I've been wanting to check it out but I just never have the time. I'm heading up to the Dells on Saturday but I'm a little pressed for time since I have to get to there by no later than 11am. I can squeeze in a Garbage Plate(which is the reason why I want to visit) if I get there when they open at 7am but would like to get some opinions to see if it's worth getting off the expressway for.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more