LTH Home

Racine Wisconsin Eats

Racine Wisconsin Eats
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am
    Post #31 - April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am Post #31 - April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am
    budrichard wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Any new intel on Racine? Need to head up there next week. Should have time for a late breakfast or lunch.

SapSap on the south side open 11 am Thurs, Fri Sat.
    The Lao food is about as good as it gets with the Chicken Bahn Mi a standout and now a Cod Bahn Mi.
    dine in for Pho and Lao style soup.
    Thum Prik beer. their own!
    https://www.sapsapeats.com

Bud,

I have to ask: does this place offer Friday fish fry?

I once heard of a transplant restaurant to the Wisconsin market was recommended to offer a Friday fish fry. It was initially dismissed until it was highlighted even Chinese restaurants offered fish fry.

Never mind, I got my answer via their website:

FRIDAY FISH FRY!
    Fried Fish Banh Mi:
    Our take on the po' boy! Beer battered Cod, topped with slaw and a Makrut lime leaf, dill and tarragon remoulade on a potato bun

This place is definitely on my radar to visit.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - April 15th, 2022, 7:53 am
    Post #32 - April 15th, 2022, 7:53 am Post #32 - April 15th, 2022, 7:53 am
    Dave148 wrote:Any new intel on Racine? Need to head up there next week. Should have time for a late breakfast or lunch.

For dinner, they open at 3pm, The Corner House can’t be beat. Old School prime rib right on the lake. Was there 4-5 weeks ago and left happy as a clam at high tide.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - April 16th, 2022, 2:42 am
    Post #33 - April 16th, 2022, 2:42 am Post #33 - April 16th, 2022, 2:42 am
    "ALBERT KOPULOS AND GIGI FALBO OPENED THE CORNER HOUSE SUPPER CLUB ON AUGUST 14TH, 1945. ALBERT RAN THE CORNER HOUSE UNTIL HIS PASSING ON FEBRUARY 11TH 2001. AT THAT TIME HIS SON'S JOHN AND GEORGE CONTINUED TO RUN THE CORNER HOUSE FOR ABOUT 17 YEARS. AFTER NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS TO PURCHASE THE CORNER HOUSE OVER A 20 YEAR PERIOD, IN OCTOBER 2017 THE KOPULOS BROTHERS CALLED ME AND SAID THEY WERE READY TO RETIRE. AFTER MANY MONTHS OF NEGOTIATING WE CLOSED THE DEAL ON MARCH 28TH, 2018. AND I AM VERY PROUD TO SAY I AM THE NEW OWNER OF A RACINE STAPLE. MY INTENTION IS VERY SIMPLE: TO CARRY ON THE TRADITION OF RACINE FINEST AND ONLY SUPPER CLUB. WITH THE CORNER HOUSE STAFF/TEAM ALREADY IN PLACE, WE THRIVE TO IMPROVE ON EVERY DINNING EXPERIENCE."

On the lake?
    What?
    The old Corner house was inland on Washington St.
    Glad to to see the new Corner house is looking good!
  • Post #34 - April 16th, 2022, 4:32 pm
    Post #34 - April 16th, 2022, 4:32 pm Post #34 - April 16th, 2022, 4:32 pm
    budrichard wrote:
    On the lake?
    What?
    The old Corner house was inland on Washington St.
    Glad to to see the new Corner house is looking good!

I grew up in Milwaukee, Corner House, along with Sally's in downtown Milwaukee, were family celebration spots. (The old Frenchy's for the most special of occasions)

We were in town for a wedding, our niece married her long time partner, and we stayed an extra day to hang out with some family, who did same, and explore. The new iteration of Corner House, the move took me by surprise too, was as remembered with a better view.

Corner House, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - April 18th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    Post #35 - April 18th, 2022, 9:38 pm Post #35 - April 18th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    budrichard wrote:

SapSap on the south side open 11 am Thurs, Fri Sat.
    The Lao food is about as good as it gets with the Chicken Bahn Mi a standout and now a Cod Bahn Mi.
    dine in for Pho and Lao style soup.
    Thum Prik beer. their own!
    https://www.sapsapeats.com

We went to SapSap last year after the Ren Faire, and everything was great. This was before they had finished construction on their new space, so we ate everything outside at a nearby park (and sadly couldn't take pictures, since it was so windy). Would 100% get any of the following again, but it looks like the menu has changed a bit since then.

Fried Chicken Banh Mi
    Brisket Fried Rice
    Mamma’s Egg Rolls
    Red Boat Brownie
    Extra Jeow Som Sauce
  • Post #36 - June 16th, 2022, 6:18 pm
    Post #36 - June 16th, 2022, 6:18 pm Post #36 - June 16th, 2022, 6:18 pm
    Eating at this new western Racine County sandwich shop is like going on a picnic with an Italian grandma

I just saw this article and hope someone may get there and report back.

Scungilli's
    207A Main Street
    Rochester, WI 53167
    (262) 661-6503
    Tuesday-Thursday: 10:30 AM - 4:00 PM
    Friday-Saturday: 8 AM - 3 PM
    Closed Sunday-Monday
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #37 - November 27th, 2022, 11:52 am
    Post #37 - November 27th, 2022, 11:52 am Post #37 - November 27th, 2022, 11:52 am
    Yesterday, following a tour at the historic Johnson Wax buildings (a must for local history or architecture buffs), we had a late afternoon meal (linner? dunch?) at Reefpoint Brewhouse on the Racine harbor. Great lake views, great service, food very good but needed a few tweaks to reach excellent.

We chose Reefpoint on the recommendation of staff at Johnson. They handed out this restaurant guide:Image
    We also checked Toad Hall's website. Looks interesting, but some funny maybe intentional, maybe not malapropisms found in the online menu. A "bowel" of chili?
  • Post #38 - November 28th, 2022, 8:28 am
    Post #38 - November 28th, 2022, 8:28 am Post #38 - November 28th, 2022, 8:28 am
    They missed Sap Sap and Wells Pizza!
    -Richard
  • Post #39 - November 28th, 2022, 9:48 am
    Post #39 - November 28th, 2022, 9:48 am Post #39 - November 28th, 2022, 9:48 am
    Richard: Technically those two are in Mt. Pleasant, maybe they got the list from some city organization. Both sound worth a trip - my kid loves thin pizza and banh mi. The fried chicken one would especially appeal. And my wife loves calzones.
    I also wondered about the Balkan. Minimal info online, but pictures show what looks like a meat burek.
  • Post #40 - November 30th, 2022, 11:14 am
    Post #40 - November 30th, 2022, 11:14 am Post #40 - November 30th, 2022, 11:14 am
    Everyone I know goes to the location on the South side of Racine just off Sheridan Rd. They are owned and operated separately.
    No commonality I know of other than the name, Wells.
    https://www.wellsbrosracine.com/
    Sap Sap is just a short distance away.
    -Richard
  • Post #41 - April 2nd, 2023, 1:38 pm
    Post #41 - April 2nd, 2023, 1:38 pm Post #41 - April 2nd, 2023, 1:38 pm
    We had the Cod Bahn Mai ($11) as carryout yesterday.
    Friday Only.
    Didn’t show up for ordering until after 11am, Friday.
    We all thought the cod, breading and sandwich were outstanding.
    There is talk of having another Lao Dinner sometime in the future.
    That is NOT to be missed.
    -Richard
    https://sapsapeats.com
  • Post #42 - April 15th, 2023, 2:18 pm
    Post #42 - April 15th, 2023, 2:18 pm Post #42 - April 15th, 2023, 2:18 pm
    On Thursday only Sap Sap has the Sap Mac for $16.
    It’s on their great Potato bun with a house dressing and ground meat blend cooked to a perfect medium. The ‘House Fries’ suffered from reheating in the oven. The next time I will reheat the fries in a fry pan in oil of some type.
    I ate all of mine but my wife and son ate only half of theirs but when I later inquired if there were any leftovers, they were gone!
    https://www.sapsapeats.com/product/sap- ... cst=custom
  • Post #43 - August 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm
    Post #43 - August 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm Post #43 - August 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm
    On a sad note, Sap Sap is closing their Meade St location in Racine and reverting to their original Pop Up format.
    I assume the Food Truck will be the basis of the Pop Ups.
    Conflicts with the surrounding neighborhood started off their run and it appears that staffing became an issue.
    I wish Alex well but I am not one to track down food trucks, wait in line and not be assured of obtaining what I want.
    There is a Last Party August 26 from Noon to 8pm.
    I may have to attend!
    -Richard
  • Post #44 - October 4th, 2023, 3:10 pm
    Post #44 - October 4th, 2023, 3:10 pm Post #44 - October 4th, 2023, 3:10 pm
    Island Jam!
    The best Jamaican cuisine I have ever eaten!
    My son who has vacationed a number of times in Jamaica agrees!
    We had the Oxtail/Goat Combo and Chicken Combo of Brown Stew and Jerk Chicken.
    Deeply browned oxtails are almost black and as good as it ever gets and the Goat had flavors of Cinnamon and Tamarind.
    Brown Stew was as its name implies stewed until it and the sauce was a deep brown while the jerk chicken was mildly spiced.
    They do provide a container of a surprisingly good hot sauce but ask for at least four containers for this amount of food.
    Rice/peas excellent, plantains sliced and fried, different from
    Tostones and a warm cabbage dish.
    Fairly large dining area.
    Don’t be put off or discouraged as you enter from the rear of the building.
    Parking in the rear is generous.
    North side of Racine, come in on Highway 20 and let your GPS be your guide.
    Island Jam
    3408 Douglas Av
    Racine, WI
    262-260-8895
    Customer interface could use some work.
    I tried calling for a couple of hours to order ahead and was reluctant to use the Internet ordering, so I decided to just drive on up and see for myself.
    At 2:30Pm place was open, two people at a-table and someone at a video game slot type machine. Asked why they didn’t answer the phone and the person at the video game seemed to be put off. Said, no problem and they were taking orders previously.
    Usually, this type of casual attitude is not a good omen but since I had already invested the time, I asked how long for an order. About 5 minutes as soon as I fry the plantains was the reply. So for the oxtails, goat and brown stew, I can see the necessity of cooking ahead but for jerk chicken? Anyway I asked the lady if she was the owner, no she replied. A fellow entered and appeared to also be an employee and I asked him if he was the owner, no he replied.
    Anyway food was excellent. no dietary upsets, a Home Run unlike the Brewers.
    You might want to bring your own Rum as the meager bar sported one forlorn bottle of Bacardi.
    I went home and made Cuba Libre’s for my wife and myself and we sat outside and listened to the birds before eating.
    -Richard
  • Post #45 - October 4th, 2023, 3:48 pm
    Post #45 - October 4th, 2023, 3:48 pm Post #45 - October 4th, 2023, 3:48 pm
    Sounds very good indeed and you had good enough luck with the service.

I have been to places of this type where they begin to cook the food after you order. It is serial product with one dish completed and served, then they begin cooking the next. There was an early LTH gathering where lunch began at 1 pm and they had not yet served the final dish at 4 pm. At that point they settled the bill and left for other engagements.

Glad you had better luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more