LTH Home

Racine Wisconsin Eats

Racine Wisconsin Eats
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Racine Wisconsin Eats

Post #1 - June 8th, 2007, 10:32 am
    Post #1 - June 8th, 2007, 10:32 am Post #1 - June 8th, 2007, 10:32 am
    As is customary on this board, I will be traveling with the wife for an extended weekend in Racine. Please share thoughts on good restaurants and activities in bratland please.
  • Post #2 - June 8th, 2007, 10:56 am
    Post #2 - June 8th, 2007, 10:56 am Post #2 - June 8th, 2007, 10:56 am
    For dessert, kringle is an (perhaps the?) absolute must if you are in Racine. I like Bendtsen's cherry or pecan kringle, but I believe the more popular place is O&H.

http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/
    http://www.bendtsensbakery.com/page.aboutus

The Chancery is a nice restaurant to eat at, as it has a very nice lakefront seating area. The food is solid though nothing extraordinary, but the location is very peaceful.

http://www.thechancery.com/

Love,
    John
    It isn't that I'm not full...
  • Post #3 - June 8th, 2007, 11:03 am
    Post #3 - June 8th, 2007, 11:03 am Post #3 - June 8th, 2007, 11:03 am
    You definitely should hit Kewpie's during your visit to Racine.
    JiLS
  • Post #4 - June 8th, 2007, 12:18 pm
    Post #4 - June 8th, 2007, 12:18 pm Post #4 - June 8th, 2007, 12:18 pm
    The HobNob is nothing if not "swanky". It's between Racine & Kenosha.

http://www.thehobnob.com/
  • Post #5 - June 8th, 2007, 1:16 pm
    Post #5 - June 8th, 2007, 1:16 pm Post #5 - June 8th, 2007, 1:16 pm
    tcdup wrote:The HobNob is nothing if not "swanky". It's between Racine & Kenosha.

I haven't been there yet, but boy is it retro cool! I always pass by when either I have eaten already or they are closed. They don't appear to do lunch.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - June 10th, 2007, 4:20 pm
    Post #6 - June 10th, 2007, 4:20 pm Post #6 - June 10th, 2007, 4:20 pm
    Born in Chicago, raised in Lincolnwood, lived in Lake County, and moved to Racine in 1990. My business and the opportunity to live in a historic landmark home on Lake Michigan brought me to southeastern Wisconsin. It wasn't the food. Racine's a city of fast food and mediocre restaurants. It's starving for good restaurants. Our annual taste of Racine features: The Olive Garden, Charcoal Grill, Applebee's, Popeye's, Subway, Taco Bell, and George Webb's. We rejoiced when Panera's, Chipotle's, and Starbucks opened. Like many cities, there are always some hidden gems. Unfortunately, most Chicagoans only make it to downtown Racine and never discover them. Here's a list of my favorites:

Best Food: Sebastian's and The Yellow Rose
    Best Cheeseburger & Chocolate Malt: Kewpee Sandwich Shop
    Best Ribs: Oh Dennis Saloon & Charcoal House-Gary would love this place
    Best Kringle: Bendsten's & O&H
    Best Italian: Mangia in Kenosha
    Best Thin Crust Pizza: Mike & Angelo's
    Best Breakfast: Frank's Diner in Kenosha
    Best Hot Dog: Vienna Beef Polish or 8/1 natural casing at my house
    Best Japanese: Shogun
    Best Chinese: Main Moon
    Best Mexican: Mexico Lindo
    Best Custard: Culvers
    Last edited by chicagostyledog on June 11th, 2007, 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #7 - June 10th, 2007, 8:45 pm
    Post #7 - June 10th, 2007, 8:45 pm Post #7 - June 10th, 2007, 8:45 pm
    my husband and our 4 year-old ended up in Racine last Labor Day weekend. We had gone up to the Renaissance Festival and decided to head a little further north and stay over, we ended up at the Radisson in Racine, overlooking the harbor, we were quite happy with our $89 room in that "Motel Therapy" kind of way.

Anyhow, we ended up having dinner at an Italian restaurant on Main Street called Salute. I would have never gone in if it had not been strongly recommended by two people at the Radisson as very family friendly with honest, good food (it had a blinking martini sign in the window and appeared dark from the outside). Anyhow, we went in and we completely fell in love with the place. I can best describe it as an Italian red-sauce Wisconsin Supper Club. The elderly owners were greeting people as they came in, the party in front of us was a party of 11 and the owner didn't even blink. Most people were opting to first sit at the bar and have a cocktail (and share jokes with the owners) and then head to their tables. I however, was rather pregnant at the time so we skippped the bar and at our table were greeted by Mary, our 60+ waitress, bearing a relish plate and lots of charm.

When I waffled over what type of ravioli to order she arranged to get me a "half and half." This might be clouded by being pregnant and seemingly always hungry, but I found my hand-made ravioli to be very, very satisfying. My husband started with a salami and cheese plate and then ordered a thin crust sausage pizza. He was quite happy with his food. We weren't blown away but the place had such a great, friendly vibe that we just absorbed it and were happy to have found our way there. It turned out that all the desserts were made my Mary's brother, who also happens to be a priest . . . I mean, it was one of those kinds of family places. And the warmth seemed genuine, not canned or phony at all. I'd certainly go back for supper next time I am in Racine.

I hope you report back after your trip as we might return again in August.

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #8 - June 10th, 2007, 11:36 pm
    Post #8 - June 10th, 2007, 11:36 pm Post #8 - June 10th, 2007, 11:36 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    tcdup wrote:The HobNob is nothing if not "swanky". It's between Racine & Kenosha.

I haven't been there yet, but boy is it retro cool! I always pass by when either I have eaten already or they are closed. They don't appear to do lunch.

Regards,

Hob Nob's in a time warp. It's best attribute is the lake view. Better to drive north or south on Sherdian and have a great lunch at Mangia's or the Yellow Rose.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #9 - June 11th, 2007, 12:12 pm
    Post #9 - June 11th, 2007, 12:12 pm Post #9 - June 11th, 2007, 12:12 pm
    To go along iwth Chicagodogs list. Some comments/additions to from a 10 year Racine resident...

- Corner house serve is a nice independant resturant thats been here for years. Good martini's, prime rib and duck, in a classic supper house kind of atmosphere. I'd opt for Corner house over Hobnob any day if you are looking for retro upscale supper club kind of experience. Stop by the bar for their homemade roast beef dip and cheese spread on crackers.

- Pork shank is a must have at the Yellow Rose. They also have amazingly good mac and cheese as a side dish.

- Breakfasts - Ham n Egger (main street just north of downtown).

- Soul food - wilburs barbecue (6th street downtown)

- Casual bar with good food - Ivanhoes (main street) - the grilled wings are super

- Sunday morning bloody marys and silver dollars (thick homemade potatoe chips wth parmesan cheese) - Yardarm 920 erie, near river

- Saturday morning bloody marys #2 - chancery (lakefront near radison)

- Local iconic greasy spoon with simply amazingly large hamburgers -- Chubbies (619 high street). Cheese fries. I'd vote for Chubbies over Kewpies...although Kewpies has great rootbeer.
  • Post #10 - June 11th, 2007, 2:53 pm
    Post #10 - June 11th, 2007, 2:53 pm Post #10 - June 11th, 2007, 2:53 pm
    Fishie, I'm a non smoker and won't patronize a restaurant where I cannot enjoy my meal smoke free. The Ivanhoe is out. I order take out from Kewpee's and Oh Dennis. Ham & Egger's changed hands numerous times. Each time, the food is worse. Wilbur owns Vipers too. Wilbur's is non smoking and his lasagna and catfish are very good. The silver dollars and live music are what the Yardarm is all about. I've been dining at the Chancery since day one. They're constantly changing the menu. Unfortunately, it doesn't help. Neither does the slow service. While they still serve a respectable burger, which built their reputation, they need to return to the original menu to survive. The original restaurant in Mt. Pleasant is no longer a Chancery and the Chancery on Downer in Milwaukee is out of business. The Corner House was sold to the head chef after the death of the original owner. It was our choice of fine dining until the day Sebastian's opened. When Chubbie's serves a burger as good as Kewpee's, I'll eat Oscar Meyer hot dogs with ketchup, prepared on a roller grill at the local Speedway. The Chubbie with cheese experience, a burger the size of a hub cap, is something everyone should try if their cholesterol is a bit low. Sharing recommended.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #11 - June 12th, 2007, 5:57 am
    Post #11 - June 12th, 2007, 5:57 am Post #11 - June 12th, 2007, 5:57 am
    Nobody has mentioned Waves in Racine. Some of the dishes are misses but at least he tries to have different things on the menu than the normal Racine establishment. Also cute location although smoking can be a problem.

Definitely Bendtsens Kringle. I know many people love O&H but I just can't get over Bendtsens.

Otherwise, the new Spinnakers has some service issues but if you want a view, that is the place to go.

Regarding the Hob Nob, it does have an old smell when you enter but boy oh boy the Baked Cod on Friday is a deal and it is good. Can't say much about the other menu items although the French Onion soup is pretty good.

As far as breakfast, I do get an "up north" vibe at Cliff's Boathouse Cafe and you can't beat the waiter. The food is above average, nothing special, but I love the neighborhood vibe.
  • Post #12 - June 12th, 2007, 7:51 am
    Post #12 - June 12th, 2007, 7:51 am Post #12 - June 12th, 2007, 7:51 am
    Hi,

Is Cliff's on the water? I have a friend who works up there who has told me of a nice place for breakfast on the river. I have yet to get the name.

Could you or someone else give a survey of restaurants on the water, whether the river or Lake Michigan?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #13 - June 12th, 2007, 6:22 pm
    Post #13 - June 12th, 2007, 6:22 pm Post #13 - June 12th, 2007, 6:22 pm
    Cliff's is a few blocks west of Lake Michigan. While locals rant and rave about the food, the potato pancake definitely qualifies for "The Greasiest Thing I Ever Ate Trophy," taking second place to the potato pancake from gone, but not forgotten Lippy's Red Ranch on Devon. Been their twice and won't return.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #14 - June 13th, 2007, 5:05 am
    Post #14 - June 13th, 2007, 5:05 am Post #14 - June 13th, 2007, 5:05 am
    On the water is Spinnakers, view good, service and food to be decided because it is too new. Also the Chartroom, I haven't really heard anyone talk about the food here but right on the river. Right next door is Sandpipers. The food here is adequate and decent for Racine and the seating is right on the river. The aforementioned Hob Nob. Chancery is on the water. I cannot think of anymore right now. In Kenosha the Boat House maybe.
  • Post #15 - June 14th, 2007, 12:58 pm
    Post #15 - June 14th, 2007, 12:58 pm Post #15 - June 14th, 2007, 12:58 pm
    Just an update, although it only serves food at lunch, I went to Russ' Tap for lunch today on the south side of Racine on DeKoven Avenue. It was delicious. Every Thursday they have a different lunch special, today it was meatloaf (large piece with a tangy crust), mashed potatoes, green beans (nothing special), and bread and butter. I was told that on some thursdays they have a Danish meatball lunch. (They called it something that I couldnt understand) I would love to hit that.

THe regular menu is burgers but they looked delicious and I saw someone order the grilled ham and cheese sandwich and that also looked great.

Anyone ever tried this place?
  • Post #16 - June 20th, 2007, 9:18 pm
    Post #16 - June 20th, 2007, 9:18 pm Post #16 - June 20th, 2007, 9:18 pm
    Hi,

If you were to go on a Friday up to Racine, then you could arrange an architectual tour at the S.C. Johnson (Wax) Company. They had Frank Lloyd Wright commission a office tower and theater, which are landmark buildings.

More information and activities are available at:

SC Johnson
    Golden Rondelle Theater
    1525 Howe Street
    Racine, WI 53403-2236
    Phone: 262-260-2154

A Johnson family member commissioned from Wright a home, which is now a Johnson conference center called Wingspread.

More on Wright buildings and influence in Racine can be found Wright in Racine.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - April 23rd, 2008, 10:38 pm
    Post #17 - April 23rd, 2008, 10:38 pm Post #17 - April 23rd, 2008, 10:38 pm
    fishie wrote:- Local iconic greasy spoon with simply amazingly large hamburgers -- Chubbies (619 high street). Cheese fries. I'd vote for Chubbies over Kewpies...although Kewpies has great rootbeer.

I had to go up to Waukegan for some business late this afternoon. Looking for something to do afterwards, the above statement caught my eye. While not exactly close by, it was certainly closer than if I had started from home. If I want to do something, I can make it happen whether it is really nearby or not.

Chubbies is north of Racine's harbor downtown on an east-west street. We arrived 15 minutes before their scheduled 8 PM shutdown. We ordered a hamburger to share when the waitress spread her hands unimaginably wide, then added cheese fries, their homemade chicken dumpling soup and chili to round off the meal.

The chicken dumpling soup was unmistakably homemade with spaetzle type dumplings and shredded chicken in a light chicken broth:

The chili was homemade as well with no beans, though a few stray macaronis:

We were almost finished when our Chubbie burger with mushrooms and mozarella arrived. Helen thought it looked like a 1960's pillbox hat. The homemade bun was not too big or too small, it fit just right to accomodate an exceptionally large burger:

We split the hamburger in half, which revealed it was cooked to medium rather than medium-rare as requested. We ate it as-is:

When I order this burger again, I would season it myself a bit more strongly with salt, pepper and lots of grilled onions. I might suggest they raise the heat on the griddle, then do a quick sear. I had a sense the cook was being too careful in cooking it.

The cheese fries were uneventful, they were steak fries with a melted American cheese sauce. I saw later they offered fried cheese curds, which I think would be more like dining in Wisconsin. :)

A family group arrived after us. I missed a terrific photo opportunity when the waitress went past balancing three plates of those enormous hamburgers. The owner was right behind with two more. I cannot imagine anyone finished their hamburger.

Since this burger was compared to Kewpies, these styles are so different they defy comparison. I really like Kewpies for the 1930's burger as well as its stuck in time defiance to change. Chubbies is certainly a novel burger, who does not charge an arm and a leg for the privilege. If you can convince them to tweak it as I suggested (or maybe there is another cook present when you visit), then it can be a satisfying meal and certainly something to talk about.

Chubbies Pizzeria
    619 High St
    Racine, WI 53402
    (262) 637-1488

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #18 - April 24th, 2008, 10:05 am
    Post #18 - April 24th, 2008, 10:05 am Post #18 - April 24th, 2008, 10:05 am
    I tried Chubbies in 1990 when I moved to Racine. Their burger was huge, flavorless, and uneventful. They allow smoking and my first visit was my last. The Racine/Kenosha area has a multitude of fabulous burger joints:

Kewpees-Racine
    Spot Drive-In-Kenosha
    Big Star Drive-In-Kenosha
    Andy's Drive-In-Kenosha
    Andrea's-Kenosha
    Ron's Place-Kenosha
    Nite Owl Drive-In-Milwaukee
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
  • Post #19 - April 24th, 2008, 11:44 am
    Post #19 - April 24th, 2008, 11:44 am Post #19 - April 24th, 2008, 11:44 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:I tried Chubbies in 1990 when I moved to Racine. Their burger was huge, flavorless, and uneventful. They allow smoking and my first visit was my last.

From your perspective not much has changed. The burger needs help in the flavor department. I liken foods like these as novelties. Most of the restaurant was devoted to smoking, though only one customer smoked.

chicagostyledog wrote:The Racine/Kenosha area has a multitude of fabulous burger joints:

Kewpees-Racine
    Spot Drive-In-Kenosha
    Big Star Drive-In-Kenosha
    Andy's Drive-In-Kenosha
    Andrea's-Kenosha
    Ron's Place-Kenosha
    Nite Owl Drive-In-Milwaukee

I guess my scorecard for a non-local isn't too bad. I have visited all but the last two locations.

I will be up more over the next few months.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #20 - April 24th, 2008, 3:09 pm
    Post #20 - April 24th, 2008, 3:09 pm Post #20 - April 24th, 2008, 3:09 pm
    I am still waiting on someone to try the Pizza burger at the establishment that allegedly invented the concept of a Pizza Burger in Racine, DeRose Bar. I am too ascared :) Plus I have never been a huge pizza burger person but yet ....I still have penchant to go there.
  • Post #21 - April 24th, 2008, 3:47 pm
    Post #21 - April 24th, 2008, 3:47 pm Post #21 - April 24th, 2008, 3:47 pm
    Oh I'll take that challenge! I LOVE pizza burgers, next time I visit my mom we're going there.
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #22 - January 21st, 2010, 2:42 am
    Post #22 - January 21st, 2010, 2:42 am Post #22 - January 21st, 2010, 2:42 am
    funholidaygirl wrote:I am still waiting on someone to try the Pizza burger at the establishment that allegedly invented the concept of a Pizza Burger in Racine, DeRose Bar. I am too ascared :) Plus I have never been a huge pizza burger person but yet ....I still have penchant to go there.

I have a feeling you're going to be waiting a lot longer. Unable to pass up the Alleged Birthplace of the Pizza Burger, I stopped at DeRose to get the scoop. It was a confusing experience to say the least—the bartender couldn't have been nicer but had no idea what I was talking about. I got a menu and there is no pizza burger to be found. Weird.

Some friendly customers at DeRose suggested a nearby tavern. Although it's only two blocks away, we never found it. A little Googling suggests they were talking about DeMark Brothers at 1600 Albert, a place known for pizza burgers. Maybe you meant DeMark and not DeRose?

Octarine wrote:Oh I'll take that challenge! I LOVE pizza burgers, next time I visit my mom we're going there.

So, did you have any better luck ordering a pizza burger? For those who must have a pizza burger in Racine, you can also get them at Wells Brothers.

I sure wouldn't pass up their great tavern-style thin crust pizza though.
  • Post #23 - June 8th, 2010, 9:50 pm
    Post #23 - June 8th, 2010, 9:50 pm Post #23 - June 8th, 2010, 9:50 pm
    Rene G wrote:Some friendly customers at DeRose suggested a nearby tavern. Although it's only two blocks away, we never found it. A little Googling suggests they were talking about DeMark Brothers at 1600 Albert, a place known for pizza burgers. Maybe you meant DeMark and not DeRose?

Indeed, it's DeMark's that's known for their pizza burgers.

It's a pleasant old tavern, family run for over a century. The interior is pretty basic, unfortunately with little original décor. The pizza burger isn't quite what I'd expected but still quite enjoyable.

It's an oval Italian sausage patty with red sauce, melted mozzarella and peppers—in other words, a Freddy. The pizza burger has banana peppers instead of the Freddy's sautéed green peppers. DeMark's sausage bomber isn't bad either. Pretty good place.

DeMark's
    1600 Albert St
    Racine WI
    262-637-2933
  • Post #24 - August 3rd, 2014, 11:16 am
    Post #24 - August 3rd, 2014, 11:16 am Post #24 - August 3rd, 2014, 11:16 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:Cliff's is a few blocks west of Lake Michigan. While locals rant and rave about the food, the potato pancake definitely qualifies for "The Greasiest Thing I Ever Ate Trophy," taking second place to the potato pancake from gone, but not forgotten Lippy's Red Ranch on Devon. Been their twice and won't return.

Part of the reason Cliff's potato pancakes are so greasy is because they're "enhanced" with a few pats of Wisconsin's best before serving.

If the pancakes don't appeal, maybe Cliff's excellent homemade potato salad will. I know that'll be my choice next time.

More on Cliff's here and here.

Been to Lippy's Red Hot Ranch once and never returned. Granted, it was during the stand's dying days but everything I had was awful.

Cliff's Boathouse Cafe
    310 Hamilton St
    Racine WI
    262-633-1767
    http://cliffsboathouse.com/
    Thu 6am-1pm, Fri 6am-8pm, Sat 7am-1pm, Sun 8am-1pm
  • Post #25 - February 29th, 2016, 4:28 pm
    Post #25 - February 29th, 2016, 4:28 pm Post #25 - February 29th, 2016, 4:28 pm
    Had a pretty good lake perch sandwich up at John's Dock in Racine on Sat. -

@ $11 the price was right as well - well fried and also served with some nice potato pancakes - cold drafts as well - I can see coming back for the perch plate or another sandwich.

John's Dock
    303 Dodge Street
    Racine, WI.

http://www.johnsdock.com/
  • Post #26 - April 13th, 2022, 12:50 pm
    Post #26 - April 13th, 2022, 12:50 pm Post #26 - April 13th, 2022, 12:50 pm
    Any new intel on Racine? Need to head up there next week. Should have time for a late breakfast or lunch.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #27 - April 14th, 2022, 11:07 am
    Post #27 - April 14th, 2022, 11:07 am Post #27 - April 14th, 2022, 11:07 am
    Not in Racine, but close (I meet my Racine friends here) -- the Milwaukee Burger Company in Pleasant Prairie. Great burgers -- though the warm blue cheese potato salad made the biggest impression last time I was there.

9901 77th St, Suite 810, Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158-1143

https://milwaukeeburgercompany.com/
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #28 - April 14th, 2022, 3:01 pm
    Post #28 - April 14th, 2022, 3:01 pm Post #28 - April 14th, 2022, 3:01 pm
    Can't go wrong with two double cheeseburgers and a root beer at Kewpie's downtown.
  • Post #29 - April 15th, 2022, 12:54 am
    Post #29 - April 15th, 2022, 12:54 am Post #29 - April 15th, 2022, 12:54 am
    Dave148 wrote:Any new intel on Racine? Need to head up there next week. Should have time for a late breakfast or lunch.

SapSap on the south side open 11 am Thurs, Fri Sat.
    The Lao food is about as good as it gets with the Chicken Bahn Mi a standout and now a Cod Bahn Mi.
    dine in for Pho and Lao style soup.
    Thum Prik beer. their own!
    https://www.sapsapeats.com
  • Post #30 - April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am
    Post #30 - April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am Post #30 - April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am
    budrichard wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Any new intel on Racine? Need to head up there next week. Should have time for a late breakfast or lunch.

SapSap on the south side open 11 am Thurs, Fri Sat.
    The Lao food is about as good as it gets with the Chicken Bahn Mi a standout and now a Cod Bahn Mi.
    dine in for Pho and Lao style soup.
    Thum Prik beer. their own!
    https://www.sapsapeats.com

Thanks for the tip Richard. Forgot to mention that I'm heading up there on Monday.
    Last edited by Dave148 on April 15th, 2022, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more