LTH Home

Roadtrip! Chicago ---> New Orleans

Roadtrip! Chicago ---> New Orleans
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Roadtrip! Chicago ---> New Orleans

Post #1 - October 15th, 2007, 1:33 pm
    Post #1 - October 15th, 2007, 1:33 pm Post #1 - October 15th, 2007, 1:33 pm
    Planning a trip down to LA to head into New Orleans. I know there are a lot of places to eat in New Orleans - i've been there a bunch and my brother lived there for about 5 years. My god, the food is unreal down there.

so.....

I'm looking for some good places to eat along the way. Probably getting there by the typical mapquest/google maps route spending most of my time on I-57 south to I-55 South.

I'm putting this out there a few months early to hopefully get some good responses piled up.

Thanks!!

Dave
  • Post #2 - October 15th, 2007, 1:44 pm
    Post #2 - October 15th, 2007, 1:44 pm Post #2 - October 15th, 2007, 1:44 pm
    Depending on what time you leave, you may want to stop in Champaign, which is about 2 to 2.5 hours south of Chicago on I-57.

Here are some recent threads:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=143163
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=154124
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=449
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15077
  • Post #3 - October 15th, 2007, 1:47 pm
    Post #3 - October 15th, 2007, 1:47 pm Post #3 - October 15th, 2007, 1:47 pm
    Here are a few:

1. 17th Street BBQ
    32 N 17th Street
    Murphysboro IL
    http://www.17thstreetbarbecue.com/

2. Lamberts Cafe
    2305 E. Malone
    Sikeston, MO 63801
    573-471-4261
    http://www.throwedrolls.com/

3. Corky's Bar-B-Q
    5259 Poplar Ave
    Memphis, TN 38119
    901-685-9744

You can also follow the Tamale Trail for some fun:

http://www.tamaletrail.com/introduction.shtml
  • Post #4 - October 15th, 2007, 2:29 pm
    Post #4 - October 15th, 2007, 2:29 pm Post #4 - October 15th, 2007, 2:29 pm
    Here's another link.
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
  • Post #5 - October 15th, 2007, 6:40 pm
    Post #5 - October 15th, 2007, 6:40 pm Post #5 - October 15th, 2007, 6:40 pm
    throwed rolls in sikeston, mo...cant remember the name of the restaurant but you will see 500 billboards on the way down...kitcshy but fun
  • Post #6 - October 15th, 2007, 6:52 pm
    Post #6 - October 15th, 2007, 6:52 pm Post #6 - October 15th, 2007, 6:52 pm
    iblock9 wrote:throwed rolls in sikeston, mo...cant remember the name of the restaurant but you will see 500 billboards on the way down...kitcshy but fun

That's Lambert's, mentioned above.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #7 - October 15th, 2007, 7:07 pm
    Post #7 - October 15th, 2007, 7:07 pm Post #7 - October 15th, 2007, 7:07 pm
    Thanks...Lamberts is a lot of fun...great road trip kinda place.

Oxford, Ms is a really cool and beautiful town and just a little bit outta the way. It is a really fun place to stop for the night if you arent in too big of a hurry. The City Grocery is a really fine southern gem on the most beautiful town square in america. Here is a NYTIMES link to a nice article about this neat treasure of a town

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9629C8B63

City Grocery
    152 Courthouse Square
    Oxford, MS 38655,
    662-232-8080,
  • Post #8 - October 16th, 2007, 8:16 am
    Post #8 - October 16th, 2007, 8:16 am Post #8 - October 16th, 2007, 8:16 am
    Here are my comments from fall of 2006…..

I drove Chicago to Houston and stopped off in Memphis

On the way down I stopped at the 17th St. Bar & Grill. I took I-57 till it merged with I-55. But before that, I took a detour to 17th St. I found it to be worth the effort. I was initially disappointed when my slab was served on the cool side. The waiter took them back, leaving me my sides and gave me a new one (didn't just reheat the ribs) with new sides…no additional charge, no problem. These were excellent ribs and sides.

In Memphis I went to the Rendezvous, or as I was told, the world famous Rendezvous. I had their ribs. First time I ever had this type of what they call dry-style. I can’t imagine ever getting them again. I thought they were real bad. The place was interesting and the location with an entrance in an alley. It was something to see. I enjoyed the sides, but it is a place (IMO) you visit say “Wow” and then eat somewhere else.

The next day I had lunch at Margaritas Mexican Cantina (I-40 exit 279A) it was near my hotel and AAA recommended. It was surprising very good and reasonably priced. This place is in West Memphis.

By accident I stopped to get gas in Brookhaven, MS. The lady in the gas station recommended the place behind her station: Bowies BBQ. I had some of the best BBQ on the whole trip right there, even with some excellent stops in Texas. The best part was the price, 2 meats, 2 sides, free drinks, free corn fritters for about $11 tax and $1 tip, since it was a self serve cafeteria style place.

I forgot the exit off of I-55, but the address and phone # is:
    Bowies Barbecue
    333 Magee Dr
    601-833-3711

Brookhaven is a little south of Jackson.

D.
  • Post #9 - October 16th, 2007, 9:04 am
    Post #9 - October 16th, 2007, 9:04 am Post #9 - October 16th, 2007, 9:04 am
    One that was on my agenda, but I wasn't
    able to try, last time I was in the area is:

Felicia Suzanne’s in Memphis
    http://www.feliciasuzanne.com/view/83
    Definitely pricey, but with inventive
    Southern twists on a lot of classics.
    How can you go wrong with Andouille
    and greens?

Crispy P & J Louisiana Oysters
    tossed in a New Orleans BBQ Sauce

Classic Creole Turtle Soup

Shrimp and Grits
    Wild Gulf Shrimp and Andouille Sausage sautéed in a Creole Sauce
    over a crispy Stone Ground Grit Cake

Grilled Organic Niman Ranch Double Cut Pork Chop
    with Andouille Sausage Potato Hash, BBB Southern Cooked Greens
    and Green Tomato Chow Chow

Along the Tamale Trail, I give
    a thumbs-up to Hick's in
    Clarksdale, for their spicier-than-
    most flavor and moistness. On
    the other hand, also in Clarksdale,
    Abe's was one of the most well-rounded
    laughably-bad experinces I've had
    in a long time. I might have to start
    a whole post on (why to avoid) Abe's.
  • Post #10 - October 16th, 2007, 9:30 am
    Post #10 - October 16th, 2007, 9:30 am Post #10 - October 16th, 2007, 9:30 am
    I might have to start

With a tease like that... please do!

First time I ever had this type of what they call dry-style. I can’t imagine ever getting them again.

I had dry-style at Corky's. I understand getting sauce on the side but this stuff had so much dry rub on it it was like it had been dragged through a sandbox. It was like cinnamon sugar toast ribs. I don't get that.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #11 - October 16th, 2007, 10:01 am
    Post #11 - October 16th, 2007, 10:01 am Post #11 - October 16th, 2007, 10:01 am
    There's a family restaurant somewhere near Jackson, MS not far off the Natchez Trace Parkway that has a menu on the wall autographed by Eudora Welty!
    Last edited by riddlemay on October 16th, 2007, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #12 - October 16th, 2007, 10:07 am
    Post #12 - October 16th, 2007, 10:07 am Post #12 - October 16th, 2007, 10:07 am
    I also stopped at rendevouz in Memphis on my way home from NOLA, and I agree wouldn't stop there again. Had a guy from Memphis in my bar and he said you had to go there once and thats it. He said they do very little repeat business. He also said best ribs in Memphis is Alfred's across the street from Pat O'Briens on Beal street. I will have to try it next time I am thru there.
    Joey B
  • Post #13 - October 16th, 2007, 10:20 am
    Post #13 - October 16th, 2007, 10:20 am Post #13 - October 16th, 2007, 10:20 am
    riddlemay wrote:There's a family restaurant somewhere near Jackson, MI not far off the Natchez Trace Parkway that has a menu on the wall autographed by Eudora Welty!

I think you mean Jackson, MS (MI generally refers to Michigan, not Mississippi).
  • Post #14 - October 16th, 2007, 2:35 pm
    Post #14 - October 16th, 2007, 2:35 pm Post #14 - October 16th, 2007, 2:35 pm
    Darren72 wrote:
    riddlemay wrote:There's a family restaurant somewhere near Jackson, MI not far off the Natchez Trace Parkway that has a menu on the wall autographed by Eudora Welty!

I think you mean Jackson, MS (MI generally refers to Michigan, not Mississippi).

You are correct, sir. I'll go edit my post now.

By the way, I highly recommend the Natchez Trace Parkway. A scenic, two-lane in each direction, limited access road that cuts diagonally from Natchez MS to Nashville TN. You can use it as an alternative to the interstates between Chi and N.O. It isn't as fast--not because you can't make good time on the road (because you can make very good time on it), but because it's not quite as much a straight line between those two endpoints--but it makes the driving a pleasure. You'll need to know about restaurants ahead of time, though--no billboards, and nothing to see from the road but lovely landscape.
  • Post #15 - October 16th, 2007, 6:04 pm
    Post #15 - October 16th, 2007, 6:04 pm Post #15 - October 16th, 2007, 6:04 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote: in Clarksdale,
    Abe's was one of the most well-rounded
    laughably-bad experinces I've had
    in a long time. I might have to start

I spent the longest month of my life living and working in Clarksdale, Tunica and Chickasaw County Mississippi. I did manage to pass the time trying the bbq at every gas station between clarksdale and tupelo. You do have to have some warmth if your heart for a part of the country that serves swine along with your unleaded.
  • Post #16 - October 17th, 2007, 4:57 pm
    Post #16 - October 17th, 2007, 4:57 pm Post #16 - October 17th, 2007, 4:57 pm
    awesome.....i love it.

This forum is insanely impressive.

still open to suggestions - like i said we're doing this in January. But, im gonna get on the ball and start mapping these out and making phone calls.

thanks guys!
  • Post #17 - October 19th, 2007, 8:56 am
    Post #17 - October 19th, 2007, 8:56 am Post #17 - October 19th, 2007, 8:56 am
    I love the eat and drive road trip. My brother and I moved his belongings from Tuscon, AZ to Raliegh, NC a couple of years back. I had been through Memphis before but we decided to spend a night there and hit the bbq places. I had done the same thing (stop in Memphis) with my father and uncle when we drove from Chgo to NO about 6 years ago.

The Rendezvous for ribs was good, not great - like another poster said, "dry style." The service there is terrible though and you feel like you should be lucky to have them. We ate quickly and hit Beale Street. The other bbq place we hit in Memphis was on Beale Street, across from BB King's place. Maybe the "Beale Street Cafe?" It was okay as well but sloppy.

The best surprise was Gus' Fried Chicken. It may be the best fried chicken I've had. Supposedly, the orignal Gus' is/was one of GQ's "restaurants worth booking a trip around" (or something like that). This is the first franchise of the original but they won't share the recipes with the franchise owner - they drive in the products from the original. The result is a nicely fried bird, with hints of spice and decent side items. I still crave it. It's worth a lunch there for sure if you're in the vicinity. Safe travels...
  • Post #18 - October 19th, 2007, 11:36 am
    Post #18 - October 19th, 2007, 11:36 am Post #18 - October 19th, 2007, 11:36 am
    tyrus wrote:The best surprise was Gus' Fried Chicken. It may be the best fried chicken I've had. Supposedly, the orignal Gus' is/was one of GQ's "restaurants worth booking a trip around"

so, do you know where the the original one is specifically? sounds great
  • Post #19 - October 21st, 2007, 9:41 am
    Post #19 - October 21st, 2007, 9:41 am Post #19 - October 21st, 2007, 9:41 am
    Here's a link to the original Gus'. The Memphis location is pretty darn good though...

http://www.emerils.com/cooking/archives/000781.html
  • Post #20 - October 22nd, 2007, 12:29 pm
    Post #20 - October 22nd, 2007, 12:29 pm Post #20 - October 22nd, 2007, 12:29 pm
    thank you - article is pretty convincing.
  • Post #21 - October 22nd, 2007, 2:29 pm
    Post #21 - October 22nd, 2007, 2:29 pm Post #21 - October 22nd, 2007, 2:29 pm
    If you happen to pass through Vicksburg, MS, I recommend planning your entire trip around being able to land at the Walnut Inn Round Table Restaurant for lunch. How's that for a recommendation? The restaurant offers a typical southern menu (fried chicken, country fried steak, corn, snap beans, purple hull peas, okra and tomatoes, biscuits) but if there's room at a "round table", you sit at a giant, round table with a huge lazy Susan in the middle. Dishes are served family style, and replenished frequently. There is little in this world more charming and hilarious than sitting at a round table with a bunch of strangers--lawyers, railroad workers and a grandmother/granddaughter duo when I was there last time--in Vicksburg, MS, discussing good food and what brought you to the restaurant.

Walnut Hills
    1214 Adams Street
    Vicksburg, MS
    (601) 638-4910

Is your journey taking you through Nashville? It'll be about three hours off course if you're going down 55, but if you do mosey over, I stopped in at Miller's Grocery (on the southeast side of Nashville) based on this thread and love-loved it.

Miller's Grocery
    7011 Main Street
    Christiana, TN 37037
    (615) 893-1878

HOURS
    Lunch:
    Tuesday - Friday 11am to 2pm
    Dinner: Friday & Saturday 5:30 to 9pm by reservation featuring live music
    [Saturday: Lunch 11am to 2pm
    Sunday: Buffet 11am to 2pm by reservation
    Monday: Closed

Memphis?

I was only in town for one meal and stopped at the Germantown Commissary for barbecue. I loved the pulled pork sandwich, but there has been some disagreement about the place in this thread.

The Germantown Commissary
    2290 Germantown Rd.
    Germantown,TN 38138
    (901) 754-5540
    Last edited by crrush on October 22nd, 2007, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #22 - October 22nd, 2007, 2:44 pm
    Post #22 - October 22nd, 2007, 2:44 pm Post #22 - October 22nd, 2007, 2:44 pm
    crrush wrote: but if you're there's room at a "round table", you sit at a giant, round table with a huge lazy Susan in the middle. Dishes are served family style, and replenished frequently. There is little in this world more charming and hilarious than sitting at a round table with a bunch of strangers--lawyers, railroad workers and a grandmother/granddaughter duo when I was there last time--in Vicksburg, MS, discussing good food and what brought you to the restaurant.

what a fantastic concept! our group would definately be up for that. Thats why we're driving - you dont get these types of experiences shuffling through airport security like cattle.
  • Post #23 - October 25th, 2007, 4:07 pm
    Post #23 - October 25th, 2007, 4:07 pm Post #23 - October 25th, 2007, 4:07 pm
    Hey folks... new to town, new to the board. OK, down to business-

Memphis has some of the best food in the world! For bbq, go to Payne's and order the chopped pork shoulder sandwich, with the neon green relish. This is probably the single best bbq'ed food item I've ever eaten.

For ribs, hit Cozy Corner- they also do a mean cornish game hen (allegedly their specialty, but those ribs are insane!).

For breakfast, hit Bryant's- cheap and delicious and quite the throwback.

Gus' Chicken in Memphis proper is UNREAL. Never been to the other one, but this is hands down the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.

The Soul Fish Cafe is also worth a lunch visit... catfish po boy is pretty great.

When I'm in Memphis, I just cycle through these restaurants over and over again, with the occasional trip to the grocery store to buy a fresh vegetable every couple of days.

Beale Street is kind of a drag, imo. Really touristy and expensive (sort of like Bourbon St. in NOLA). There is a pretty great burger joint... I can't remember the name but they've been in the same spot for something 100 years. Then again, if you only have a small amount of time in Memphis, you shouldn't be filling up on burgers. There's also a very cool five and dime shop on Beale... again, can't remember the name, but one of few spots on that street that hasn't turned into a Hard Rock Cafe type place.

If you have time, and are a music fan, DO NOT miss the Stax Museum. Incredible. Sun Studios is also amazing, Graceland is just OK.

Have fun!
  • Post #24 - October 7th, 2021, 12:24 pm
    Post #24 - October 7th, 2021, 12:24 pm Post #24 - October 7th, 2021, 12:24 pm
    We were travelling through the bootheel region in Missouri and NW Tennessee. We came across a restaurant called the Grecian Family Restaurant.

The restaurant has a full menu that includes a number of steaks and a few Greek items. However, MOST of the people come for their lunch and dinner buffets at $7.99 and $9.99.

The buffet is NOT fancy. However, the food is very solid southern cooking. It was a pleasant surprise how well the food was prepared. The salad bar was very fresh and quite good. There were eight entrees and a good number of potatoes, beans, and vegetables.

The desserts were quite excellent with some of the best chess pie and some great mousse cakes.

There are eight locations in Missouri and Tennessee.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more