LTH Home

Las Vegas - Strip/Downtown Recs

Las Vegas - Strip/Downtown Recs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - October 20th, 2019, 11:26 am
    Post #91 - October 20th, 2019, 11:26 am Post #91 - October 20th, 2019, 11:26 am
    I haven't been to the El Cortez in at least 5 years, but know this--it's 2 blocks away from the Fremont Street Experience--the cheesy, zip-lining 'roof' over the street that projects images during pounding rock songs on the hour.

And those 2 blocks are a long way, full of degenerates that have wandered off the FSE. You won't get killed, but you may be accosted.

Look--downtown used to be my thing--cheap gambling, restaurants with hidden menus that provided great value--Hugo's Cellar at the 4 Queens comes to mind. A great 99-cent shrimp cocktail at the Golden Gate. The 24-hour coffee shop at The Fremont that we'd go to at 3AM because the clientele was out of Star Wars.

But over the last 3-4 years, the whole area has turned into basically a freak show. Scantily-clad men & women that have no business doing that, and sad panhandlers galore. Plenty of people down on their luck, and then some. Sorry, I don't go on vacation to see that. I'm going in two weeks and I think I will pass on downtown this time.

However, near there we will visit--for the 2nd time--the awesome Mob Museum--which I highly recommend--that with a coupon is about $20.

If you had to dine around downtown...Oscar's above the Plaza is pricey but decent, and that's about it, which is a shame because there used to be so many great deals down there.
  • Post #92 - October 22nd, 2019, 12:43 pm
    Post #92 - October 22nd, 2019, 12:43 pm Post #92 - October 22nd, 2019, 12:43 pm
    Downtown has cleaned up some. No longer can the "scantily clad, and costumed people" roam freely. They put in a new walking area that has circles. Those people now have to apply to be in the circle. They rent them for 2 hour cycles. They can still be in costumes and scantily clad, but they must stay in the designated circle. The security forces watch that they follow the rules very carefully. They also have upgraded the light show with new LED lights. All in all, they keep improving the experience and to me is much more fun than the strip.
  • Post #93 - March 11th, 2024, 4:07 pm
    Post #93 - March 11th, 2024, 4:07 pm Post #93 - March 11th, 2024, 4:07 pm
    Best bar I’ve been to in the country. The Laundry Room. Located downtown. Room holds maybe 15 people. No loud talking, tank tops. Or nonsense. Serious hipster bartender who knows the catalogue. Sazeracs were brilliant. Reservation only. Well in advance. It’s hidden in a larger night club bar downtown. Used the be a hotel laundry room.

Laundry Room
    525 E Fremont street
    Vegas

My favorite after midnight bar before hitting the late night oyster counter at Palace Station around 3an. . Has to be Golden Tiki. Mai Tai’s. Dole whips topped with dark rum. Damn. Can’t wait to get back. Love Vegas. I dint gamble. Just eat, and drink 20 hours a day and sit by the pool to recover.

Golden Tiki
    3939 Spring Mountain
    Vegas

There are some other written about speakeasy / hidden cocktail bars in Vegas. One I went through what looked like an employee entrance, off a food court that was a tequila/mezcal bar.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more