LTH Home

Savannah Georgia Low Country, or Seafood Rec's

Savannah Georgia Low Country, or Seafood Rec's
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Savannah Georgia Low Country, or Seafood Rec's

Post #1 - June 4th, 2008, 6:51 am
    Post #1 - June 4th, 2008, 6:51 am Post #1 - June 4th, 2008, 6:51 am
    We will be in Hilton Head, SC. all next week, and are planning a day trip to Savannah for some sight seeing, and mostly to get some good low country cooking, or some steamed local seafood & some cold drinks on the water.. Anyone have a good recommendation for either of these?
  • Post #2 - June 4th, 2008, 9:28 am
    Post #2 - June 4th, 2008, 9:28 am Post #2 - June 4th, 2008, 9:28 am
    This should be a good start for you...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5287&hilit=savannah

You may also want to consider Toomers which is located in Jacksonboro on Highway 17 between Charleston and Savannah. It's a fried seafood place that I mentioned briefly in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18733
  • Post #3 - June 4th, 2008, 10:01 am
    Post #3 - June 4th, 2008, 10:01 am Post #3 - June 4th, 2008, 10:01 am
    YourPalWill wrote:This should be a good start for you...

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... t=savannah

You may also want to consider Toomers which is located in Jacksonboro on Highway 17 between Charleston and Savannah. It's a fried seafood place that I mentioned briefly in this thread:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18733

thank you for the links.
  • Post #4 - June 16th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Post #4 - June 16th, 2008, 8:46 am Post #4 - June 16th, 2008, 8:46 am
    On our "way home" from Hilton Head on Saturday we took an hour and a half detour south down to Tybee Island, GA(right off Savannah), for the specific purpose of having lunch at The Crab Shack. We were not disappointed. This place was all it was cracked up to be, laid back, and the food was very good. As a discalimer I can eat steamed shellfish every day, so a place like this is nirvana for me.

Got a table in the 90 degree sun overlooking some water, and ordered their Cap'n Crabs Sampler for 2 for $40. When the platter came it was loaded down with:

1-1/2 Lbs Snow crab legs
    6 pc. Jonah Crab Claws
    1-1/2 Lbs Crawfish
    1-1/2 Lbs. Steamed shrimp
    about a dozne steamed mussels
    a pound of sausage
    potatoes, and corn on the cob.

We took a picture and I will attempt to attach it later. We dug in, and devoured the entire feast in about 30 minutes. Paired with cool sea breezes, cold Budweisers, and tequila. Definately worth a trip if within a 100 miles or so. Lunch @ The Crab Shack, and an afternoon on the beaches of Tybee Island(beer is allowed on the beech).

Finally adding picture 2/25/2009:

http://www.thecrabshack.com
    Last edited by jimswside on February 25th, 2009, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #5 - June 17th, 2008, 10:26 am
    Post #5 - June 17th, 2008, 10:26 am Post #5 - June 17th, 2008, 10:26 am
    Several years back, my family and I went to Hilton Head Island, and actually took a day trip into Savannah as well. The most memorable meal I remember eating when I was there was Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House in Savannah. It was once run by Mrs. Wilkes herself, until she passed away a couple years ago. It's definitely southern-style cooking to the fullest...the ultimate comfort foods for me!

Also in Savannah, Paula Deen's restaurant The Lady and Sons is supposed to live up to the hype. I've had friends tell me that the wait in line was worth it, that she has the best fried chicken in the South...take it for what you will...
    RoRo

***"Wine never dies. Instead it lives in the soul of the person who consumes it." --Baron Philippe de Rothschild***
  • Post #6 - June 23rd, 2021, 12:31 pm
    Post #6 - June 23rd, 2021, 12:31 pm Post #6 - June 23rd, 2021, 12:31 pm
    Thanks to a tip from Da Beef who documented a recent trip to Savannah on his Instagram, we learned about Bobo's Seafood Market. Interestingly, the only mention I could find of Bobo's was on the Charleston SC thread here. Mr. X and I were in the Savannah area visiting friends, but had an afternoon to tool around downtown. He's learned to trust me for meals so didn't question as we pulled into the small parking lot of Bobo's. I ordered a small low country boil. Besides the visible shrimp, sausage and potatoes, there were two small pieces of corn and a couple of hunks of crab. This thing weighed several pounds.

No seating available at Bobo's so we drove over to Forsyth Park to dine. This definitely was not the easiest food to eat on a park bench. Armed with a bunch of napkins and two plastic forks, we made a decent dent in the bounty. Don't tell our dentists that we may have used our teeth to crack the crab shells. :lol: The shrimp were excellent. What we were able to get out of the shell, the crab was good. The potatoes were delicious when dipped in the provided garlic butter. The sausage was decent but the corn was pretty gross. We did have several people compliment our food as they walked by.

Bobo's Seafood Market
    2800 Montgomery St
    Savannah, GA 31405
    (912) 232-5757
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles