• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - July 19th, 2018, 8:26 pm
    Post #61 - July 19th, 2018, 8:26 pm Post #61 - July 19th, 2018, 8:26 pm
    Hancock, Michigan:
    Kaleva Cafe.
    Best m-frickin blueberry pancakes I've ever had in my life:
    http://www.mykaleva.com/

Also, in Hancock, we went to that Peterson's fish mkt that Zimmern hit up in his U.P. show. The inlaws tested it first, and raved. There's the tiny market, and right behind it is the restaurant. The restaurant looks like a roadside fish shack out east, and it will not disappoint. The menu doesn't have much, but go with "Parmesan Crusted" anything, and the fish chowder with jalapeno emulsion. The Singapore Chili style fish prep is a red chile sauced piece of fish, and it's really not BAD at all. I wouldn't bother even trying it tho. It's pretty bland. I wouldn't get "fried" anything, either. Get Parmesan Crusted anything. It's throwback real butter, lemon, garlic, and parmesan cheese browned on top of FRESH fish, and it's OUTSTANDING. The Fish Chowder is decent by itself, but the "jalapeno emulsion" adds a warm, acidic, hit. It'll take your tongue three spoonfuls to get used to the vinegarry tang, but once you do, settle in, because you're gonna finish however much is in front of you. My GUESS is that they are using pickled jalapeno for the emulsion.

Don't expect much from the fish market - their selection when I was there was about four diff types of fish fillets, and only two were local (you guessed it - lake trout and whitefish!) They also had a few types of smoked fish, and a freezer with shrimp and scallops.

Don't sleep on either of these places. Kaleva's blueberry pancakes were out of this world. Thin, chewy, very crisp edges, and U.P. blueberries, which, if you have never had, might ruin you for commercial blueberries for the rest of your life. Not sure if the stars lined up for our pancakes, but it would seem to me that anyone that can make pancakes like this, must absolutely LOVE making pancakes. I've been assured that all of their food is way better than most in the area.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #62 - July 20th, 2018, 8:48 am
    Post #62 - July 20th, 2018, 8:48 am Post #62 - July 20th, 2018, 8:48 am
    Peterson's is a regular stop for us when we're in the UP. Good stuff.
    -Mary
  • Post #63 - July 20th, 2018, 9:39 am
    Post #63 - July 20th, 2018, 9:39 am Post #63 - July 20th, 2018, 9:39 am
    seebee wrote:Hancock, Michigan:
    Kaleva Cafe.
    http://www.mykaleva.com/

One of our daughters went to engineering school at Michigan Tech, so was in Houghton and the Keeweenau several times. Kaleva and Suomi were my preferred breakfast choices and while my daughter loved them, she was a regular at Vicki's, so we went there a fair amount as well.
  • Post #64 - August 19th, 2018, 6:26 am
    Post #64 - August 19th, 2018, 6:26 am Post #64 - August 19th, 2018, 6:26 am
    Hit Kaleva again, and the blueberry pancakes were exactly the same. I'm ready to call them the best I've ever had. Spent a good 4 weeks in the U.P. this summer, not much else new to report on so far. Much more smoking/grilling at home instead. Quite a few more long wknd trips coming up though.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #65 - August 19th, 2018, 8:55 am
    Post #65 - August 19th, 2018, 8:55 am Post #65 - August 19th, 2018, 8:55 am
    gleam wrote:UP wild blueberries are unbelievably amazing things. The best cultivated blueberries aren't even 1/10th as good as these wild blueberries.

The haul from a few weeks ago. And no. I won't tell you where. Just like you wouldn't tell me where, either.

• Post #66 - August 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    Post #66 - August 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm Post #66 - August 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    I head up there every year for the demolition derby at the Iron County Fair and to visit my parents.

BC190C19-5331-4865-A38A-EA2961432731.jpeg

For the 24 hours we are up there I cannot help but binge on Pasty’s. Bring home a cooler full of frozen as well.

After all there are some good pancake places in Chicago (as well as being able to make some awesome ones myself).

Similar to some friends (from Chicago) who recently went to Iowa and only ate at random Italian restaurants. Where is their Breaded Pork Tenderloin respect?

Over the years we have tried several places between Iron River (our home base) and Iron Mountain and enjoy them at...

The Pasty Oven
    7279 US-2, Quinnesec, MI

1595EFCB-52F0-40F7-9C60-29D0334F22BA.jpeg Traditional Pasty

Nothing fancy and not a dozen different flavors but a good, solid representation of the style. Always get it with rutabaga and always with ketchup. A few years ago I discovered that it is also traditional with brown gravy so I eat them now half and half. :)

I’ve been eating them all my life and never tire of them.

Of course on the way up and home we have a few other mandatory stops...

Mars Cheese Castle
    2800 W Frontage Rd, Kenosha, WI

226C0F07-FE94-4F07-87D6-3C3F398DA117.jpeg Our ‘Cracker Barrel”

... a term from Boy Scouts. :)

We also have become fond of the drive through...

The Menominee Reservation
    Keshena, WI

Where this year we finally was able to get a reservation only delicacy at a local bar and grill...

7C17747D-17C1-4325-B8CE-DF31666CC58F.jpeg Indian Taco (on frybread)

War Bonnet Bar and Grill
    N926 Wisconsin 47-55, Keshena, WI

... and of course no trip through Wisconsin is complete without a stop at...

Brat Stop
    12304 75th St, Kenosha, WI

69B55B2F-7682-4A51-BA91-7CEE1BBC9ECC.jpeg

... where we not only had a meal but brought some fresh home to pay some respect to my dear departed uncle who taught me the secret of Wisconsin Style Beer Brats. :)

E24FA1C1-D795-4911-BB63-9368BCC53F5B.jpeg

1B6E98D3-88A4-414E-BD16-8EF39BFFC9E9.jpeg
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #67 - August 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm
    Post #67 - August 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm Post #67 - August 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm
    Well, crap, Panther If I had known...
    I'll remember to grab a few extra pasties for you on our next run. We do a few runs every year. We get them from a church, and they do pasty/potato sausage fundraisers several times per year. Their pasties have a crunchier crust than most (suet is used.) I'll throw you a few frozen ones since you are a connosieur. I can't go back to eating the soft crusted ones.
  • Post #68 - August 26th, 2018, 6:53 pm
    Post #68 - August 26th, 2018, 6:53 pm Post #68 - August 26th, 2018, 6:53 pm
    seebee wrote:Well, crap, Panther If I had known...
    I'll remember to grab a few extra pasties for you on our next run. We do a few runs every year. We get them from a church, and they do pasty/potato sausage fundraisers several times per year. Their pasties have a crunchier crust than most (suet is used.) I'll throw you a few frozen ones since you are a connosieur. I can't go back to eating the soft crusted ones.

Please do, I would live to give them a try!!!

Where is this church as I would love to give them a try...

Hey! Potato sausage, that sounds Lithuanian. :)
  • Post #69 - August 27th, 2018, 7:31 pm
    Post #69 - August 27th, 2018, 7:31 pm Post #69 - August 27th, 2018, 7:31 pm
    Oh! I almost forgot.

A somewhat guilty pleasure I had when visiting the UP was...

Beef-A-Roo
    727 Riverside Plz, Iron River, MI

... and googling the name I see there even some up near Rockford, IL.

This is much closer to what Arby’s should be. :) Tender, juicy beef with an actual roast beef flavor.

CA23C268-94E4-4175-8352-7D77C28D489F.jpeg ... with cheese sauce

I usually forget and after a pasty meal I end up having a second meal. :)
  • Post #70 - August 27th, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Post #70 - August 27th, 2018, 7:49 pm Post #70 - August 27th, 2018, 7:49 pm
    LOL -
    My better half used to work at Beef A Roo in Negaunee! I actually toook the kids there a few weeks ago. Pretty sure those are beef tallow fries. The rest of the menu is...
    We'll just say the fries are damn good.
  • Post #71 - August 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm
    Post #71 - August 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm Post #71 - August 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm
    seebee wrote:LOL -
    My better half used to work at Beef A Roo in Negaunee! I actually toook the kids there a few weeks ago. Pretty sure those are beef tallow fries. The rest of the menu is...
    We'll just say the fries are damn good.

It is ‘low’ eating for sure and never a destination. :)
  • Post #72 - June 12th, 2019, 5:55 pm
    Post #72 - June 12th, 2019, 5:55 pm Post #72 - June 12th, 2019, 5:55 pm
    Iron Mt -
    New place alert!
    I wasn't around during operating hours, but I will DEFINITELY stop and give it a try at some point this summer. Smokler's BBQ. Right on the highway strip:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/smoklers/menu/?p_ref=pa

701 N Stephenson
    Iron Mountain, Michigan 49801
  • Post #73 - August 5th, 2019, 6:47 am
    Post #73 - August 5th, 2019, 6:47 am Post #73 - August 5th, 2019, 6:47 am
    Another new joint in Gwinn, Michigan:
    Towners Pastry and Chocolates
    37 W M-35, Gwinn, MI 49841

I was in a hurry, so I couldn't grab pics or chat anyone up. Got a croissant and a cinnamon roll for the 6 hr ride back to Il.

This place is for real. I don't think anyone would believe it unless they sampled it. This place is for real. I'm guessing they have some very loyal customers, like anyone who has tried anything, is a repeat and loyal customer. The 1st bite of croissant i took had me almost laughing because i was thinking, "This place is way too good to survive up here." I'm going to Towners as often as I possibly can. This place is for real, and you'll know it as soon as you walk in. The case was full of pastry names I've never heard of. Damn, i need to ask them to make my fam some quign aman thingies! I'd bet they would be ELATED that someone appreciated their skills.

That croissnt tho...crisp outside, and just chewy, buttery, butterness, butterocity...closed on Mondays, or i'd be there now. Jerks!

Place is for real.
  • Post #74 - August 10th, 2019, 6:41 am
    Post #74 - August 10th, 2019, 6:41 am Post #74 - August 10th, 2019, 6:41 am
    We hit the Crossroads again last nite for the Friday fush fry. I lured the extended fam as well. They all loved it. Lake trout and whitefish. Get it it without hesitation. I believe they offer perch and cod, and have combo platters with scrimps and such as well, but the menu CLEARLY boasts that the lake trout and whitefish are fresh. The laker was exactly the same as i remembered. Huge portion, light batter, perfectly fried.
    Worth every penny.
    Crossroads Restaurant
    900 Co Rd 480, Marquette, MI 49855
    (Really in Sands Township)

Hitting the new bakery in Gwinn today again, too.
  • Post #75 - July 13th, 2021, 9:03 am
    Post #75 - July 13th, 2021, 9:03 am Post #75 - July 13th, 2021, 9:03 am
    Damn -
    Going on two years since I last posted in this one.

Gwinn, Michigan:
    The guy who owns Towners Pastry has a Chicago connection. I know he used to live in Chicago and worked at a bakery in the city. I only talked to him for a few minutes at a time when I've seen him. I DID ask him if he'd make some "Quign Aman" and his eyes lit up. He said he might give it a go and hope for a good response, but he also said they were a lot of work to put in, and the prices might turn people away. He has also opened a pizza shop next door to the pastry shop. I've bought a few pies from him in the past few years and I wasn't overly impressed because I was kinda expecting a more Chicago experience, and they definitely weren't that. Still good, tho. I haven't gotten one from them this year, but I will at some point. He's doing well enough to have opened a new bakery location in Marquette. If you are in the area, I'd say the bakery is destination worthy. He knows what he is doing for real:

https://www.towners.shop/
    https://www.pizzeriamozzi.net/

==
    Now, onto a new find in the big city: MEXICAN FOOD. Wait, wait, hear me out on this...

La Catrina Cocina Mexicana.

Listen - I've been in and out of this area for over 20 years. I know the deal. Trust me, this is WAAAAY elevated for this area. My son said it was the bext Mexican restaurant he's ever been to. I quickly reminded him of the first place back home that came to mind, and he immediately rescinded his claim, BUT, this new place is THAT good. It'll make you regain hope for decent ethnic food in this wasteland.

I opted for the fish tacos - fried fish strips stuffed into a fajita sized flour tortilla that was actually griddle browned and warm! The fish strips were long and thin, and each taco had about 5 or 6 strips. So it wasn't like a one strip fishstick kinda prep. Three tacos per order, and I think 12 bux for the meal, and it was a borderline bargain. Came with a side of Mex rice which was damn good, but I was stuffed so I barely touched it. It also came with a "creamy ranch salsa" on the side that I didn't touch, assuming it was gonna be a horror show. After I was done, I dipped a finger in it to try, and it was good as hell! Savory, not even a hint of sweet, and it had a chipotle smokiness to it. I've already decided I'm getting the fish tacos when we go back. LOL - also, I just thought if something - I didn't offer a single tablemate a fish strip. I offered my son a taco trade - he got the pastor tacos. But, we never finalized the deal.

So, the boy got the pastor tacos, and they were fantastic. They had that sloppy, pasty red LOOK, but they were anything but what I expected, when you see that in Chicago. It was just a simple roasted red chile prep. Maybe annato as well, but I mostly tasted that deep, roasted red chile flavor that I hope for (and usually get disappointed) when ordering enchiladas rojas. Guajillo maybe? Anyway - the pastor was an eye opener, imo. I would happily order these and hope they were just as good every time. Other tablemates had mixed fajitas, and chimichangas, and raved. Another note - the son's salsa that came with his tacos was real deal roasted arbol, and it actually had for real heat. We loved it. The table salsa was pretty par for the area - could have come from a jar as far as I'm concerned. I'm guessing they used canned tomatoes. It wasn't BAD, but it wasn't remarkable in any way, and compared to the rest of the food, it was a step down in what you'd expect.

I ordered the guac appetizer, and again, for the area, this was next level. Obviously fresh ingredients, and LOTS of them. Huge bowl for $8.99, and I was expecting MUCH less in quantity and quality. 4 ppl ate the shit out of this huge bowl before our mains came, (it was the only app,) and we still had plenty to share to dollop on our mains, and took some home as well.

The other "decent" Mexican place in the area, "Sol Azteca" will probably have to up their game, because this new place is easily next level by comparison. This place should not disappoint if you are looking for Mexican food in this area. The game has been upped by a decent margin, and when we left, there was line to get in the door. Hopefully it sticks - it should, imo.
    http://catrinacocinamexicana.com/

Another new joint in Negaunee, Michigan: Campfire Coffee.
    I'm not any kind of coffee drinker, so I can't comment. BUT, they have a tiny food menu with a few sammiches, and a few pastries. Their "gimmick" is stuff named after camping themes, like "Matchstick Sandwich," "Kindling Wrap" things of that ilk. You WILL want the cudighi sandwich, and you will DEFINITELY want the "Camp Cake."
    You will not be sharing the Camp Cake, so each person will want their own. It's their take on the Krupsua or Krepsua, or Finnish Pancake. Rectangular slice of a custardy textured pancaked with whipped cream, and syrup. It's bascically 6 or 7 forkfulls of hell yeah (In my mind I substitute the f-bomb for the word hell.)

I should also mention that Crossroads Bar & Grill seems to have upped their game. I've always been a fan (mentioned upthread) for their value compared to other places in the area, but I think they've even gotten better. HIGHLY recommend any burger, and the fried lake trout for the Friday fish fry.

I have yet to try Queen City Burger, and I'me hearing there's a new Bubble Tea place - both in Marquette.

If you're in the area, though, I think this new Mexican place is well worth a stop. It's more "Suburban Strip Mall" Mexican than anything else, but in this area, that's a huge step in the right direction, and I'm going to be a regular customer immediately.
  • Post #76 - July 13th, 2021, 11:39 am
    Post #76 - July 13th, 2021, 11:39 am Post #76 - July 13th, 2021, 11:39 am
    Easy on the wasteland comments (for ethnic foods I get it). I am a yooper from near Houghton. Growing up (very poor) we never knew what a taco was. Family was Croatian so most of our food was Eastern Euro style. Restaurant eating was rare. After getting an MTU diploma and marriage we moved to the Chicago area. I became captivated by the variety of food and the tastes of the various foods. Pushed me to become good at cooking.
    There is a newer Mexican Restaurant in Hancock call La Cantina and it was surprisingly good. Certainly the best that area has seen. Small population equals less choice. But the choices that are there are certainly good with Fresh fish, pasties, sarma, povitica, Finnish specialties, etc... If you want a variety of ethnic, you will have to go to a city for sure.
  • Post #77 - July 13th, 2021, 11:48 am
    Post #77 - July 13th, 2021, 11:48 am Post #77 - July 13th, 2021, 11:48 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:I head up there every year for the demolition derby at the Iron County Fair and to visit my parents.

I think I'ma try to go this year! Demolition derby is something I've always wanted to see. Reminds me of the "Malachi Crunch" (Happy Days??)

I already looked it up: Saturday, Aug 7th. Looks to be about an hour and change away from me. If you have any tips, please let me know (tickets sell out early - etc.)
  • Post #78 - July 13th, 2021, 5:56 pm
    Post #78 - July 13th, 2021, 5:56 pm Post #78 - July 13th, 2021, 5:56 pm
    seebee wrote:Damn -
    Going on two years since I last posted in this one.

Gwinn, Michigan:

We were within a few miles of each other, we started the day at Huron Mountain Bakery in Marquette (where we had breakfast and bought sandwiches for lunch), and dinner at Stonehouse in Escanaba, midday was at Boney Falls Basin for swimming.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #79 - July 20th, 2021, 8:25 am
    Post #79 - July 20th, 2021, 8:25 am Post #79 - July 20th, 2021, 8:25 am
    Made it back to Towner's Pastry in Gwinn for the first visit of the year last Saturday.

Cinnamon rolls
    Croissants
    Lemon Blueberry danishes
    Caramel Apple danishes
    Caramel Cruffins

There is pretty much no chance this isn't the best place for French bakery items in the U.P., and I'd easily put it up against any of the French bakeries I've ever been in, anywhere. The Cinnamon rolls are not my favorite style - they are lighter than everything else. They sell a ton of them, and they are good as hell, and they are big, but I like heavier, gut busting cinnamon rolls.

The other stuff tho?
    EXEMPLARY. Crispy and crunchy outsides that almost shatter when bitten, and flaky, almost impossibly buttery insides once you get beyond the crust. This is easily destination worthy if you are anywhere close to either location when they are open. No joke stuff here. A lifelong Yooper fam member stated that they couldn't believe how good it was, and how the business seems to be thriving in the area. If you don't want buttery stuff, stay far, FAR, away from here. While I would never make such a complaint, I could see locals saying "too much butter," or "crust too crunchy."

• Post #80 - August 2nd, 2021, 7:35 am
    Post #80 - August 2nd, 2021, 7:35 am Post #80 - August 2nd, 2021, 7:35 am
    Quick story for anyone that cares about the Pastry sitch in Marquette, Michigan.

The Towner's Pastry shop closed. The location in Gwinn is still open. As it was explained to me:

The shop in Marquette was a just trial by the owner. Apparently, after being open for just a few days, demand was overwhelming, but the space had an issue: No air conditioning. The owner of the building and the Towner's owner could not come to an agreement. The Towner's owner is now searching for a new space, but had to close the Marquette shop.

The Gwinn location is still open.

Again, for the area, imo, this is destination worthy. Not many people are going to be close to Gwinn, but if you are, Towner's is easily destination worthy. Hopefully they can find another spot in Marquette, and if they do, it's easily a "must do."

O.K. -
    Our family day trip this year was to Kitch-iti-kippi. Look it up if you are coming up this way. Check the reviews, probably find it on Youtube, too. If you are going to be within an hour, maybe hour and a half - it's a great little spot. No kids needed, adults will love it just as well, but, the kids will surely enjoy it. All the reviews that say it is a hidden treasure are 100% correct. Very cool spot. Go early or late to avoid crowds. The water stays at 45 degrees, so even in the dead of winter, I bet it's pretty freakin cool.

We ate at the nearby "Clyde's Drive In" (voted best burger in the U.P. in 2012.)
    Tiny diner with no tables inside, only counter seating - about ten stools.
    Decent amount of outdoor seating - maybe 5 tables for 4 ppl each. They also do the "Car Hop" thing, so if you park, someone will come out and take your order. FANTASTIC burger, FANTASTIC onion rings. If you saw the inside, you'd probably assume you're gonna get a 1/8th lb paper thin crispy edge patty. Not so. Probably 1/3 pounders, very obviously hand formed, and an almost brioche type bun. Not sure if it actually WAS brioche or not, but it had me thinkin it was. Their "everything" includes sweet relish, (very much NOT a fan,) so be warned of that if you go. Plenty of "kitsch" all over the walls, and plenty of merch to buy. 50's diner / flat top grill type of place, and it was pretty true to form. Not much on the menu - burgers, fries, grilled cheese, chili, chicken tenders shakes, pasties, a few fried fish baskets, and not too much more, but that was a darn fine burger.

Pro Tip: They offer sides of their gravy for fries. It's straight up jello. I'm guessing once it breaches south of 80 degrees, it's pretty much a solid, so be prepared to laugh at it.

Clyde's Drive In
    201 Chippewa Ave Manistique, MI 49854

Kitch-iti-kipi
    Palms Book State Park
    Sawmill Rd, Manistique, MI 49854
  • Post #81 - October 5th, 2021, 11:01 am
    Post #81 - October 5th, 2021, 11:01 am Post #81 - October 5th, 2021, 11:01 am
    After a year off, we were invited back to our friend's place near Calumet, Michigan. There is nothing like being someplace without WiFi or cell service for a few days! We had a head start on our friends, so we were charged with stopping at the butcher in Crivitz for some supplies. Butcher in Crivitz? What butcher in Crivitz? A bunch of years ago, I used to do long weekend in the area with a group of friends. I don't remember this place being there, but according to their website, they've been around since 1973 serving Marinette County and northern Wisconsin. Huh.

Pelkin's Smokey Meat Market is on Hwy 141 just south of the Dollar Store as you are heading into Crivitz. The meat market was hopping on a Saturday morning. Lots of people browsing the impressive offerings. We ended up with some beautiful thick cut pork chops, wieners and some ridiculously expensive bison ribeyes. (The bison was at the request of our friend. He wanted bison sirloins but they were out.) This being northern Wisconsin, we were the only ones with masks. Pelkin's will totally be a stop on our future trips north. An added bonus on the day we were there, a pop-up farmstand was set up in the parking lot with fresh corn and other vegetables. The corn was fantastic.

I also have to give a shoutout to On A Whim, a wine and gift shop also in Crivitz. Open since 2007, they have an eclectic mix of gifts along with wine, some liquor and beer. Super friendly staff and they always are offering wine samples. They know their audience as they offer both sweet and dry wines. (Dry for me, thank you very much.) We always stop to see what fun stuff they have and buy some wines to take with.

Pelkin's Meat Market
    600 S US Highway 141
    Crivitz, WI 54114
    (715) 854-3681

On a Whim
    907 N US Hwy 141
    Crivitz, WI 54114
    (715) 854-2538
    -Mary
  • Post #82 - December 27th, 2021, 11:27 am
    Post #82 - December 27th, 2021, 11:27 am Post #82 - December 27th, 2021, 11:27 am
    The new location of Towner's Pastry has been open in Marquette for a little while now. Currently, their website doesn't have much to look at, but they post on Facebook pretty frequently with what they are up to as far as daily items. If you are in Marquette, and you enjoy butter, sugar and flour, I urge you to make it a point to go here. Even if you are already planning on going to another bakery or have baked goods from somewhere else. You won't know what I'm talking about until you try this place. It's CLEARLY a major step above what you'd expect for this area.

There's also a Ramen place that is claiming to be making their own noodles and broth and such. I don't believe that for one second, but we're going to try very hard to go this week sometime. I'm guessing they are simply using a better than "Cup O Noodles" instant Ramen, like Jin or Shin, and adding fresh veggies and a real meat.

Back Door Ramen:
    https://www.backdoorramen.com/
    From their website:
    "Drumroll please
    Introducing Tonkotsu Ramen! LOCAL pork broth, hand rolled noodles made from LOCAL flour, shio tare, chashu pork belly, soy marinated LOCAL soft boiled egg, scallions. You’re going to lose your mind over this one. Trust us."
    Last edited by seebee on December 27th, 2021, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #83 - December 27th, 2021, 11:39 am
    Post #83 - December 27th, 2021, 11:39 am Post #83 - December 27th, 2021, 11:39 am
    The GP wrote:Crivitz?

Speaking of Crivitz, same side of the road as that butcher, but a few blocks north, they got a brand new Kwik Trip!

I've figured out that Kwik Trip's cookies are HORRIBLE, but, their chicken tenders are solid. I get them with full confidence. They even timestamp to monitor qc. And they are not cheap, either. We drove up on Xmas day this year, and stopped in the Crivitz QT. Joint was packed solid with Green Bay Packer jerseys going to the big game, and regular folks, too. I saw at least 4 people buying whole pies.
  • Post #84 - December 27th, 2021, 7:12 pm
    Post #84 - December 27th, 2021, 7:12 pm Post #84 - December 27th, 2021, 7:12 pm
    We tried the tonkatsu ramen from Back Door Ramen tonight.
    We ordered a few bowls at the restaurant, then took it home, quick drive. It appears that the dine-in bowls are a good amount larger than the "to go" containers. I would say that it's very obvious that the better value is to dine in. We were not at all impressed with the noodles or the broth. I'd suggest that I was not far off in my initial assessment in the previous post. It was not BAD, in any way. Not bad at all. Just nothing that stood out as better than something anyone could re-create at home, using a better than average instant, like a Shin Premium, with a soft boiled egg, and a few chunks of roasted pork. Again, it wasn't BAD, it just wasn't much to get excited about, if you've had decent ramen. I'd bet it's the best ramen in a 60 mile radius tho.
  • Post #85 - January 2nd, 2022, 8:14 am
    Post #85 - January 2nd, 2022, 8:14 am Post #85 - January 2nd, 2022, 8:14 am
    We made it to the Marquette location of Towner's. It's a weird location inside of a basically dead indoor mall. Kind of a ghost town inside. Pastries are probably delivered from the Gwinn location. Still fantastic, but a minimalist set up in the middle of a mall where it appears that most of the stores are closed. Eerie, almost.
  • Post #86 - January 3rd, 2022, 12:16 pm
    Post #86 - January 3rd, 2022, 12:16 pm Post #86 - January 3rd, 2022, 12:16 pm
    “ I don't remember this place being there, but according to their website, they've been around since 1973 serving Marinette County and northern Wisconsin. Huh. ”

Since the early 1970’s we have hunted Wausaukee a little north of the Crivitz area for deer.
    My buddy has always had Pelkin’s process his venison into sausage, double garlic. I on the other hand have always processed my own. But the sausage has always been very good.
  • Post #87 - June 25th, 2022, 12:44 pm
    Post #87 - June 25th, 2022, 12:44 pm Post #87 - June 25th, 2022, 12:44 pm
    Towner's is no more.
    Both locations are now closed. I has a sad.

The rumor is that the wife got a nice job as a chocolatier in Disney world, so they packed up shop.

Crossroads Friday Fish Fry is still a very solid deal. Get the lake trout.
  • Post #88 - June 29th, 2022, 11:16 am
    Post #88 - June 29th, 2022, 11:16 am Post #88 - June 29th, 2022, 11:16 am
    I finally tried Queen City Burger in Marquette, Michigan:
    https://www.queencityburgers.com/

Solid. Nothing crazy good, imo. FIL stated the same exact thing as me. I'd rate it as a mildly fancified, thick, not smashed, fast food burger with a higher quality bun. Definitely not BAD in any way. Solid. Very decent onion rings. I just got a plain old single patty with standard toppings -L, T, P, O, and mayo. I'd guess these are 1/3lb. I'd also guess that if you gussy them up with all of the bacon and swiss and mushrooms and whatnot, they'd be a hoot. They have a number of burger offerings with predefined toppings as you'd expect.

They do use real mayo instead of sugary white goo, so that's a big plus from me.
  • Post #89 - July 13th, 2022, 3:39 pm
    Post #89 - July 13th, 2022, 3:39 pm Post #89 - July 13th, 2022, 3:39 pm
    gleam wrote:UP wild blueberries are unbelievably amazing things. The best cultivated blueberries aren't even 1/10th as good as these wild blueberries.

Add "Copper Country Strawberries" to the list. My FIL just brought home a crap ton of them to make jam. Bought from a roadside truck. Flavor explosion. Sweet as hell. Doesn't even taste like a strawberry from a store. They smell like strawberry jam on the stove.
  • Post #90 - July 14th, 2022, 7:51 am
    Post #90 - July 14th, 2022, 7:51 am Post #90 - July 14th, 2022, 7:51 am
    Drove to the Copper Country yesterday (where I grew up). Took a circular route in order to visit an old friend on the way. That brought me through Marinette and a couple of double cheeseburgers from Mickey-Lu's. Unique and top notch. I grew up picking those strawberries back in the late 60's and early 70's. Record was 124 quarts in one morning. They are special. Glad you noticed.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more